1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Private Joke

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Ypres, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Ypres

Ypres

Hello,

Recently, I have begun reading up on the technical aesthetics that make up the Pokemon game on Smogon. I came across this forum incidentally and decided to join. I participate in draw threads on /vp/ and fulfill various requests which I find pertaining to my interests. On occasion, I will be open for Pokemon requests for people on here.

Attached are my most recent fulfilled requests from people on /vp/.

Sketches

Whismiscott & Breloom

Shuppet & Litwick

Cobalion

Garbodor

Finished

Banette & Violin

Thuggish Croagunk

Sand Stream Tyranitar

Cacnea

Featured

[​IMG]

2. sharkstache

sharkstache

holy crud i realllly love that bannete. so much. i can't explain the vibe that im getting from it but it just makes me happy LOL
    luv luv luv
    welcome to the studio, and i'd love it so much if you could draw me a Cobalion as a request~
  3. Andrew

Andrew Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot
    is an Artist

Wow you're really good. What program are you using for these paintings? I like how your stroke lines are very visible in the whimsicott/breloom and the toxicroak almost seems like a chalk/sidewalk drawing, very cool. Could you draw for me a Garbodor? :D
    PS the litwick drifblim painting is Genius
  4. Ypres

Ypres

Thank you. I'll draw the Cobalion within the next few days.

I am using Paint Tool SAI for these drawings. I have a square brush installed that helps me achieve that chalk/sidewalk effect you're referring to. And sure, I can draw a Garbodor. It'll be done within the next few days.

Ps: It's actually a Litwick and a Shuppet. The requester simply wanted the two doing something together, so I chose flying.
  5. Andrew

is an Artist

ah, my bad. And thank you in advance! :D <3 <3
  6. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

jesus how long do you take for these lol they are amazing
  7. Ypres

Ypres

The sketches take about a half an hour, while the finished pieces may eat up an hour to four hours of time.
  8. Zracknel

Zracknel you're not even worth it
    is an Artistis a Super Moderator
    Art Co-Leader

Wow, awesome stuff

big fan of your finished pieces, but your sketches are also pretty cool!

I especially like the poses/expressions on your croagunk and banette, haha. Really appreciate how your painting shows depth and implies texture (e.g. croagunk hoodie).

Hope you'll stick around a while :)
  9. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Wow, incredible work! Absolutely adore your stuff; your command of shadows and colors is very expressive. Keep up the phenomenal work, and I hope to see you around!

Also, I'm the coordinator of art for The Smog. Send me a message if you'd ever be interested in drawing for us and I'll see what I can do.
  10. jumpluff

jumpluff *red Admiral
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

So much personality and feeling conveyed in those poses! These really brought a smile to my face. :) I hope you'll post more~ Looking forward to seeing you around in the future!
  11. Ypres

Ypres

Thank you for the kind words. I'll be sure to frequent this forum and participate when I can.
  12. Ypres

Ypres

Here is your Cobalion

[​IMG]
  13. Ypres

Ypres

Here is your Garbodor. I could not resist making it a reaction image.

[​IMG]
  14. bluehoundoom

bluehoundoom

I really enjoy your style here! Many of your drawings look a lot like they were done with watercolor (mostly in Banette and Crogunk) and I do enjoy the bold coloring in the sketches. I also find the Garbodor's expression priceless and it goes well with the pose! xD Anyways, I really adore your stuff and if you take requests, can you draw a Hydreigon?
  15. Andrew

is an Artist

Lol I love his expression :D
  16. Ypres

Ypres

Thank you for the kind words. I do like Hydreigon immensely, so if I am to draw it it will be a completed piece.
  17. Ypres

Ypres

I had forgotten about this community for the longest time. Here is a Tyranitar request I finished yesterday for someone on /vp/.

[​IMG]

I had to alter the size the image just now.
  18. Ypres

Ypres

[​IMG]

Cacnea request.
  19. Bummer

Bummer Too quite.
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

I'm blown away. You did a superb job with the Tyranitar, where such details as its glowing eyes and sand blowing through the wind all adds to the scenery well. Its legs do seem a bit sluggish compared to the size of its body, but it can be disregarded due to how it's made of rock, along with how I fear the image would lose its charm if anything were to be changed. Dose textures, man.

Also a big fan of the Croathug. It works so well with its appearance.
  20. Ypres

Ypres

Thank you for the kind words and feedback.
  21. Ypres

Ypres

This is not Pokemon related artwork, but I felt like displaying it regardless. This is currently a very loose WIP.

[​IMG]
  22. yoshinite

yoshinite

Do you mind if I possibly use your cacnea as an avatar? I'll credit you in my sig+link to your art thread.
  23. Ypres

Ypres

Do whatever you want with it. I don't care about being credited lol.
  24. Zracknel

Zracknel you're not even worth it
    is an Artistis a Super Moderator
    Art Co-Leader

Ypres rules

But seriously, I always think it's a cross between the biggest tease and the most stylish thing ever when painters isolate one tiny section to cram with detail... imo that human portrait is baller and I'd love to see if it turned into anything, haha.

Totally rad pokemon, definitely appreciate your varied stylistic approaches :)
  25. Ypres

Ypres

I'm actually taking a break from that portrait for now. What I'm focusing on right now is fan art for something else. It was this cool american comic back in the 90's called The Maxx, and I'm doing fan art of the protagonist. Here's a WIP so far.

[​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)