Project The PU Theorymon Project [Week eighteen: Meganium]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The winner is Robert Alfons!

164.gif

Our next subject is Noctowl! You have 5 days to post.​

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

(+ Psychic Type, - Normal Type)
Noctowl @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Psychic
- Heat Wave / Roost
- Shadow Ball / Roost

Noctowl is an undervalued Pokemon in the tier for good reason. While it does have some solid bulk on the Specially Defensive side, it lacks in Defense as well as lacking a really powerful Flying STAB like Swanna. Noctowl is overlooked as an offensive Pokemon due to its mediocre Special Attack, but in combination with Tinted Lens as well as newfound STAB with Psychic attacks, Noctowl would be a force to be reckoned with.

The addition of a Psychic Type just seemed like something that should happen seeing as it uses its "Magical Eye" to see things in darkness as well as already having plenty of Psychic Type moves. Normal Type just seemed like it's not as fitting as the Psychic Type is so I decided to get rid of it.

Miracle Eye: "Its eyes are special. They can pick out objects as long as there is the tiniest amount of light."
Mean Look: Always catches its prey
Future Sight; Sight from Eye, Magic Eye
Meditate: When it needs to think, it rotates its head 180 degrees to sharpen its intellectual power.
Calm Mind: Same as Meditate

Last edited:

Psychic / Flying
Noctowl
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Roost
Noctowl always looked like a psychic type to everybody, just look at his eyes & magnificent unibrow. With that strong look & psychic typing, I feel that Noctowl could filter out the super-effective hits. With this typing, he'll be able to some damage to Roselia & Poliwrath with psychic.
196+ SpA Noctowl Psychic vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 236-278 (63.6 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Noctowl Psychic vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Poliwrath isn't doing too much back: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Filter Noctowl: 168-198 (41.6 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Especially not after roost: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 112-132 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- 76.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
With Filter, it can tank special hits for days. Not only that, but it'll be a fantastic defogger. Just make sure you have something for Pawniard, because not even Filter can help Noctowl take physical STAB dark hits.

noctowl[1].gif

Normal / Flying
Noctowl
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Sp, Atk / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
-Hidden Power [Fighting] / Mirror Move / Heat Wave
-Defog
-Air Slash
-Roost

So I don't know if Gale Wings on Noctowl would be game-breaking or not, but in my opinion Noctowl doesn't have the stats like Talonflame or Fletchinder to really make use of it. With the EVs listed, Noctowl 2HKOs Poliwrath with Air Slash and OHKOs Pawniard with HP Fighting. With Roost, it can also take Probopass one on one and 3HKO with HP Fighting and Roost. Mirror Move is listed because with Gale Wings you can Mirror Move after the opponent has set up hazards and copy it to lay your own layer, copy T-Wave or Will-O-Wisp to spread out status, etc.

As far as the theory behind it, it seems the only qualification for having Gale Wings as any ability is to have wings, and Noctowl has wings. :)

Last edited:

Normal / Dark

Noctowl @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Hyper Voice
- Heat Wave

I didn't change the Normal-typing because I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to, unless I misunderstood the rules. Anyways, I know there are three buffs on here, but hear me out. A ton of Noctowl's Pokedex descriptions include mentions of darkness. For example, "It unfailingly catches prey in darkness. Noctowl owe their success to superior vision that allows them to see in minimal light, and to their supple and silent wings." or "Its eyes are specially developed to enable it to see clearly even in murky darkness and minimal light." So it does make sense that it is a Dark-type, which goes hand in hand with Tinted Lens. This leads me to believe Noctowl can learn Nasty Plot. Specifically mentioning things like "murky darkness" and "catching prey" lead me to this. Similarly, Mandibuzz learns it because it feeds on prey, a Nasty Plot! Dark Pulse is added because Noctowl does not have any other Dark-type STAB besides Hidden Power (or Thief / Faint Attack, but that's not a very solid option). Hyper Voice and Heat Wave are just general coverage. I think this is an interesting buff to Noctowl that lets it put in serious work.

Also, aren't we unable to change the primary typing, according to the rules?

You can only add a secondary typing to Pokemon of one type, or change the second type of a dual-typed Pokemon. Eg. Adding a Grass type to Clefairy, or changing Togetic from Fairy / Flying to Fairy / (insert other type)

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean I'm good with changing either type, I forgot about the whole primary thing but I'll take it unless it's really really unwarranted (grass magmar or something)

I mean I'm good with changing either type, I forgot about the whole primary thing but I'll take it unless it's really really unwarranted (grass magmar or something)
Yeah & plus, gamefreak changed the primary typing of the togepi line anyways. Sometimes it just makes more sense to change the primary type.

unfixable because his seems unique & Dark/Normal typing seems like it would be nice bulky typing which would be great for it since it is a kind of slow attacker.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Nayr1230

Noctowl is perpetually stuck in the shadow of Chatot, who is better in...every regard except bulk. Noctowl really needed to do something completely different in order to shake Chatot off.

MZ

3 votes for unfixable, nayr and Ben. I'm voting for tmac unfixable, who wins this week. I'll edit the archive, OP, title and this post when I'm not on my phone at school. Also gonna keep this going over PUPL

101.gif

Our next subject is Electrode! You have 5 days to post​

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Hey look, it's a faster Raichu. The main reason why offensive Electrode is pretty shitty in PU at the moment is because of its lack of coverage beyond STABs and HP Ice. With Focus Blast Electrode can more easily break through Lickilicky, Zweilous, Golem, Aurorus, Probopass, Rotom-Frost, Regice, Piloswine, etc. It obviously still loses to Roselia but you just have to Volt Switch on that.

As for justification, a ton of random mons get Focus Blast and it's a fucking living Pokeball.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

The addition of Energy Ball can be very beneficial towards Electrode to allow for it to take on Pokemon that beat it such as Golem, Piloswine, Seaking, Armaldo, and Aurorus. It also slightly takes away from its terrible coverage and movepool and can make it much more viable.

Justification: It's literally a ball.

Also Shadow Ball is an addition in the same context, but I felt it didn't really deserve a slot in the moveset.

Reactions: EV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)