The RU Viability Ranking Thread

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rhydon: I've never, ever questioned Rhydon's ability to take physical hits nor have I ever questioned its ability to dish out damage and support its team with SR. However, when you have Slowking and Sceptile as two of the most common Pokemon in the tier and they can hit a 4x weakness you have on your much lower Special Defense, it's going to hold you back. There's also the fact that it's weak to Ice and Hail teams are pretty common higher up on the ladder. As I've said many times before, I don't think its flaws should keep it from Low-A, but I do think those flaws should keep it from Mid-A. Stay in Low-A

Rotom-F: Very tricky threat to deal with on Hail Offense teams. SiTB already mentioned Subsplit and Choice sets, but I want to touch on the Expert Belt set. The Expert Belt set is perhaps the best lure set Hail teams can utilize. Once Rotom-F draws in something like Slowking or Escavalier thinking it's locked into Blizzard, it can change moves and use Thunderbolt/Volt Switch or HP Fire respectively to seriously dent or KO 2 of the biggest threats to Hail. Otherwise, everything else was covered. Great STAB coverage, good set versatility, and much better Speed than Glaceon. Low-A.

Primeape: ...Again with my lack of experience with this thing. That's going to change one of these days, I swear... That day just isn't today.

Alomomola: Whenever you can take on the #2 Pokemon in the usage stats (Entei) you're doing something right. There's plenty of Pokemon that appreciate Alomomla's presence. Druddigon and Escavalier are two, but Gallade (Specially Defensive versions form a great Wish core btw) Regirock, and Entei are others. Hail kind of sets it back, but Escavlier, Gallade, and Entei are all solid checks to most Hail Pokemon. Mid-A is cool I guess.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmmmmm so, i was thinking about this for a little bit and i decided it was probably worth posting here: What do you think about moving Sawsbuck up from low B rank to mid B rank?

Sawsbuck has always been a pretty effective pokemon if you ask me tbh. Its one of the best, if not the single best available physical Grass-type at the moment if you ask me, and it has some nice coverage to work with between the powerful STAB Double Edge, the useful horn leech, and Nature Power which is essentially Earthquake that can bypass Sucker Punch (Important!). Swords Dance Sawsbuck can be pretty damn scary if it has an opportunity to set up (not as hard as it looks, it has some pretty nice resists to work with). OHKOing the vast majority of RU threats with the exceptions of things like Tangrowth, Escavalier, and Ferroseed, while outpacing the majority of the tier with its nice base 95 Speed stat. To make things even better: Sawsbuck becomes even more threatening if it gets a sap sipper boost, and with Grass-type moves Flying around quite a bit in Ru its not *that* hard to grab one (although some of the grassmons have coverage moves to get around Sawsbuck sadly). CB Sawsbuck is pretty effective too, trading the ability to set up for some more immediate power and a lack of life orb recoil. CB Sawsbuck is pretty effective as a wallbreaker: 2HKOing most of the tier without the need for set up, although it relies on prediction a bit more. CB Sawsbuck can even use Baton Pass in the last moveslot to dry pass out of unfavorable situations and gain momentum, possibly even setting up a sap sipper boost in the process. Lastly, Sawsbuck is a pretty effective Baton Passer imo, whether its passing on Substitutes, Swords Dances, Sap Sipper boosts, or anything else it can learn like Agility or w/e. A lot of Pokemon really appreciate Sawsbuck's ability to pass on boosts like that while still remaining a threat in and of itself. An example of a Pokemon that works well with BP Sawsbuck is scarf Emboar, who has pretty good synergy with Sawsbuck, enough speed to clean up a team late in the game, and really appreciates Swords Dance passes to boost the power of its Flare Blitz and Substitute passes to protect it from priority.

So what do you guys think? Is sawsbuck worthy of mid B rank?

Also, i've added Beheeyem to the untested section for now. After running some damage calcs and looking at how it can seperate itself from the other Psychic-types (Most important one is Analytic, makes the thing hit way harder than it looks) i think it could deserve something like C or D rank. I'll test it out and update later.

EDIT: moved glaceon back down to B rank after talking on irc with SS234

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Oh I totally forgot about posting about Sawsbuck! :O

To be honest I would want Sawsbuck in top B thanks to its large versatility in this tier, that while all sets are offensive still make it unpredictable, thanks to it's fantastic movepool of Horn Leech, Double-edge (or return if you want some more bulk), Nature Power, (sucker punch bypassing earthquake) Megahorn, Baton Pass (for sap sipper boosts) and even Wild Charge, the most reliable thing he has to check flying types. This means that Sawsbuck can fit onto teams easier than most mid B pokemon, because if you need a counter to a particular pokemon Sawsbuck probably has the move to do so. He can run a choice scarf set (I use it a lot if I use a FWG core, he is fabulous) and Jolly which, while lacking a little in power, actually out-speeds max speed rotom and, particularly with rotom-C, deals massive damage with megahorn back. He loves hazard support, which in my opinion is his main down-fall, his ability, sap sipper is also very helpful in RU, the tier of grass. I would also be interested in using expert belt Sawsbuck as a wall-breaker soon, he seems to have potential.

Anyway, definitely in support of Sawsbuck to Mid B, I personally want it higher.

ss234

bop.
Idg why glaceon is low a and rotom-f is being proposed for low a. The reason why all hail abusers where nominated for high b was because they require more support than the other a rank mons in the form of snover and this rlly hasn't changed. I get that they are both rlly good pokemon, but only in hail otherwise they are very mediocre.

Sawsbuck for mid b sounds cool. Great offensive STAB's, decent defensive typing(handles rotom-c, hp rock lilligant, rotom-n, resists eq etc.) and a good movepool that includes nature power, megahorn(fuck growth) and baton pass. It's speed isn't fantastic, but not appalling either, getting the jump on every wall p much and most offensive pokes too.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'd throw Sawsbuck in at least mid B, I've used it a lot before, and if there was any word to describe it, it would be "underrated". It has an awesome STAB combo that does it favors, and a pretty good Speed tier to boot as well. It has Double-Edge+Horn Leech, and with SD it can really wreck shit like there's no tomorrow. It hits really hard, and has Nature Power to deal with the steel, but also dodge Sucker Punch from Absol and friends as well. CB is also possible as is BP. Sun sweeping is cool too, and it wrecks in the sun. Really cool mon overall, definitely move it up.

Has anything exactly changed for Alomomola, Rhydon, Magneton, or Primeape that would warrant them moving up since the last time that they were moved, which was as recently as 2 months to 3 days ago?

I understand and supporr Sawsbuck, considering SubPass is a recently discovered, good set, which makes Sawsbuck more useful, and it has been Low B for a very long time so the metagame has changed a lot since then, along with the fact it is also good to begin with, but nothing that the other 4 can deal with has gotten more common ever since the last time they were moved. Considering the reasonings are also almost identical to the reasons that they were moved up, I feel like they are being creeped up rather than them actually improving. For instance, Alomomola literally hasn't changed at all since it was moved to Low A aside from a recent rise of various NU Grass-types such as Eggy, Tort, and Buck, which is bad, while Fire-types aren't any more common or better, so has it truly improved in this metagame? The same goes for the others, who were moved up even more recently than that it, so I'd be against them moving up.

I haven't used sawsbuck much in ru, so I'm not going to comment on that.

I am however going to say what I think about beheeyem. ITS SO STRONG. Choice Specs Analytic is my personal favorite set, and with psychic it literally annihilates everything that isn't a dark type. iirc it does 50% to escavalier on the switchin, which is very impressive. I can't remember if thats specs or not though. Anyway, it can also run a very effective OTR set. In the same vein as slowking, but with more spA, it can easily find the opportunities to set up trick room and either set up a nasty plot or simply just start killing things. The problem is, it often has to take a hit before hitting back on the specs set, which can quickly wear it down. Also, once that escavalier I mentioned earlier has switched in, it can easily kill beheeyem with a well-aimed megahorn. Overall, its a massive powerhouse, but that low speed can be a big let down. Therefore I think it should probably be Mid C Rank

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sawsbuck: Haven't used it much in RU myself as I tend to prefer more supportive Grass-types in the current metagame, but it sounds cool on paper. I will refrain from further comment on this though.

Beheeyem: Mid or Low C seems viable to me. It certainly has a niche as one of the strongest special attackers in the tier thanks to Analytic and that brutal base 125 Special Attack stat. It does have serious drawbacks (low Speed, inability to deter common Pursuit users from switching in, much lower Defense than Slowking, Uxie, Mesprit, etc.) but it definitely is viable and something to be on the lookout for. Odds are, you're prepared for it if you prepare for the more common Psychic-types. Analytic seperates it from other Psychic-types, thus giving it a solid niche.

Celever

i am town
I think that low C is the only place for Beheeyem, due to the masses of bugs and not really enough bulk needed on a bulky sweeper. With the right support though, he can definitely damage the opponent's team, so that is why I want Low C rather than Mid.

Also Swamp-rocket, nothing really has changed for the pokemon except a massive popularity boost. As you said, NU grass types are more popular now, something that does in fact make Sawsbuck more viable thanks to sap sipper. For Alomomola? Well I've noticed a big increase of bulky physical attackers, such as Entei, as well.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, i guess its time to make some updates here, i wasn't too sure on some of the proposals so i talked with Silentverse on irc and we agreed that out of the proposed changes that these were the ones that should probably be made.

Alomomola up from low A rank--->mid A rank
Sawsbuck up from low B rank---> mid B rank
Marowak down from mid C rank--->low C rank
Zweilous added to low C rank

Pokemon in need of more discussion

Rhydon
Accelgor
Kinda torn on Rhydon, i've seen first hand just how powerful it can be, and it definitely has a LOT going for it, but it does have some flaws that could potentially keep it out of mid A (see: 4x weaknesses, no means of recovery etc I'll ask around and see what people who might not've bothered posting here think about him and move it up if they support.)

Zweilous might seem like a weird move at first, but thinking about it zwei does have a small niche over Druddigon in that handy Psychic-type immunity. Which lets Zweilous check common threats such as Slowking, Uxie, Sigilyph etc better than Druddigon ever could. Considering Zweilous isn't too bad statwise, i think this is enough of a niche to justify a low C rank, if you disagree though just let me know.

Anyways, i'd also like to nominate Accelgor down from low A rank to either top or mid B rank. Tbh looking at it, Accelgor seems really odd in low A. I mean, of course Accelgor is a good late game cleaner and hazard setter that can also use its amazing Speed stat to revenge kill things slower than scarfed base 80, but it has a few flaws that make it kinda weird for it to be in A rank imo. Firstly and most importantly, Accelgor's Special Attack stat isn't really overwhelming or anything: only sitting at base 100, and without any way to boost this Special Attack, Accelgor might have trouble KOing bulkier opponents and will often be KO'd in return due to its fraility, especially because Bug Buzz, while decently powerful, is no Outrage or Flare Blitz when it comes to bp. Accelgor is also burdened with its huge vulnerability to various priority moves from things such as Absol, Kabutops, and Entei, as well as being weak to Stealth Rock and being vulnerable to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which means Accelgor can be worn down quite quickly in scenarios where hazards are up. All in all, Accelgor is a pretty cool mon, but probably not worthy of low A rank in the current metagame.

will be testing beheeyem soon =).

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, now that I have enough mons in the RU conquest that I will no longer be needing this, I would like to nominate Rotom-S for high C rank. Now I know what you are thinking, "Atomicllamas, Rotom-S (fan) is clearly outclassed by Rotom-C and to some extent Rotom-N," and you are correct to a certain degree. Yes, Rotom-S is stealth rock weak, and has a lolsie ability, but it does have some things going for it. Unlike Rotom-mow, Rotom-fan resists fighting, resists bug, resists flying, and is neutral to fire and poison, where as rotom-mow only fairs better against rock, water, and electric type moves. Rotom-Fan also has the benefit of having an alternative stab that can be used multiple times in a row, which slightly makes up for its rocks weakness. Rotom-fan also does certain sets better, as I would argue its defensive typing lends it to be a support mon in the current meta than some of its competition. Also Rotom-fan can abuse parafusion extremely well, as a paralyzed+confused opponenet only has a 26.25% chance to hit Rotom-Fan after an air slash. Even a scarf set is usable as flying+electric coverage only miss out on Steelix, where as Rotom-mow misses out on every grass type without HP fire.

Reserved for Pokemon that have notable niches in the RU metagame, but have just as notable flaws that prevent them from being top tier threats. Pokemon in the C tier often require significant support to be as effective as higher ranked Pokemon in RU. C rank Pokemon tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Pokemon.
I think this fits Rotom-S pretty well, but maybe I am pushing for to high of a ranking. Rotom-S at the very least deserves a rank though imo.

Celever

i am town
Accelgor/Hitmonlee
Accelgor and Hitmonlee, the two late-game cleaners of RU, should be in the same tier. This either means Hitmonlee going Top B-->Low A or Accelgor going Low A---> Top B. I would personally prefer the former option, but hey, either option is good and makes sense.

Rotom-S
Pretty much agreed, sorry just woke up. ~~

I think that top C-rank is a bit higher for Rotom-S, i should to agree with mid C-rank. Rotom-S is the worst of the rotom formes / rotom-a in the RU tier, is hard to choose Rotom-S over other of the Rotom formes sinces this rotom has a extra SR weakness. Ok, i know that Rotom-F is weak to Stealth Rock but is much better offensive mon since is stronger very good in hail teams or can werk pretty well against hail teams while also has a better coverage. Rotom-S is walled by a lot of things or checked easily at least by Steelix, Lanturn, Manectric, Electivire, bulky ground types like Rhydon or Golurk, Eelektross, another bulky Rock types like Regirock or Probopass etc Weaker than the other formes and with a notable flaws.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hot N Cold said:
Rotom-S is walled by a lot of things or checked easily at least by Steelix, Lanturn, Manectric, Electivire, bulky ground types like Rhydon or Golurk, Eelektross, another bulky Rock types like Regirock or Probopass etc
Yeah, I forgot about a lot of those, good point. I personally think mid-C is probably fine too, it just deserves a (C) rank at this point in all honesty. Although it is the weakest, I would use this Rotom on a team that is really grass/fighting/bug weak as long as it already had a spinner.

Accelgor/Hitmonlee
Accelgor and Hitmonlee, the two late-game cleaners of RU, should be in the same tier. This either means Hitmonlee going Top B-->Low A or Accelgor going Low A---> Top B. I would personally prefer the former option, but hey, either option is good and makes sense.

Even though they're both late-game sweepers, they're still very different because of coverage, typing, etc. Hitmonlee gets walled by a lot of Pokemon, especially common ones like Slowking, Uxie, and Spiritomb. It also requires some support to get past them which is really difficult to execute against defensive teams. Accelgor on the other hand can do fine on its own. Because of its awesome Speed and coverage, it's hard to switch into and you will usually have to resort to revenge killing it with priority or a Choice Scarf user (which there aren't very many of considering that Accelgor outspeeds Emboar and Glaceon). Just because they both have similar roles is poor reasoning to move around Pokemon. However, I wouldn't disagree with Accelgor moving to Top B Rank, but I think Low A is fine.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
I know this was brought up and turned down a little bit earlier, but i'd like to reconsider moving Poliwrath down from mid A rank to either low A rank or top B rank. Of course Poliwrath is a good physical wall that definitely has a place on balanced/stall because of its unique set of resistances and ability to phaze, but i don't think that it deserves A rank in this metagame. For one thing, Poliwrath is a total momentum killer on offense/bulky offense, which can be very detrimental at times even considering poliwrath's ability to check/counter common threats, quite a few teams simply can't afford to run it because of how quickly it stops its teams momentum. Poliwrath's lack of reliable recovery outside of Restalk is a pretty big flaw as well, as Poliwrath might not end up waking up after because of the BW2 sleep mechanics, not to mention it can't even recover again with rest if its already asleep, making it much easier to wear down while asleep by being repeatedly forced out/powerful attacks while asleep. Poliwrath also recieves quite a bit of competition with Alomomola, who has Wish, regenerator, and a huge amount of physical bulk over Poliwrath and Qwilfish, who has both types of spikes, some speed, taunt, and intimidate over Poliwrath. Meanwhile, Poliwrath only has the ability to phaze and some extra resists courtesy of its typing over the aforementioned bulky Water-types. Idk, maybe i'm underestimating Poliwrath, but its reliance on Restalk, natural momentum killing, and competition in the form of alomomola and qwilfish make me think the tadpole should be moved down a peg.

(also its ugly)

lol I was the one that was turned down

that being said I agree with it, and I'm standing by Top B for Wrath for the reasons I said back then and what Molk said (aside from the ugly part)

Also, Accelgor is a great Offensive Spikes user along with the fact that it is a good offensive Pokemon/late game cleaner so I'm not really all too sure that it should be moved down, especially when Bug gets past Slowking. The ability to outspeed a lot of Scarfers with that high speed is nothing to overlook. It's pretty good at both roles, so I'm thinking it should stay Low A, but it dropping down isn't something I necessarily strongly disagree with.

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I brought this up on IRC a few weeks ago and w/ my reasoning it was shot down, clearly Molk put more thought into it than I.

Supporting moving Wrath down to either, I would prefer top B I think. I mean, it definitely isn't useless; it resists SR and it can switch in on some top threats a lot more easily than Qwil can, e.g Aggron, Kabutops, Absol, Spiritomb (especially the Defensive variant) and co. However, a lack of reliable recovery and the fact that it acts as a Defensive pivot can spell doom later on in the game, where you Rest and get forced out right away; this not only gives your opponent momentum but makes Wrath way more unreliable at the same time, and as your go-to physical wall that can really hurt. I would mention competition as well but that's pretty much summed up already. I've been using Wrath recently and I certainly don't mind him, but when I consider the bulky Water-type to use on my team... Poliwrath is not in the top few.

So yeah, top B for Poliwrath for the reasons Molk stated and the reasons I gave here.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm okay with moving Poliwrath down tbh. It still has the really cool typing and the nice bulk; being able to wall powerful threats such as Entei, Escavalier, Scolipede, Aggron, and Durant, which still make it a very solid Pokemon. but the big thing letting Poliwrath down is the BW2 sleep mechanics. As we have seen before, relying on RestTalk for recovery with the current sleep mechanics can be really bad. If Poliwrath is somehow forced out; you're pretty much stuck with a deadweight Poliwrath, because the Sleep mechanics will ensure that Poliwrath will never wake up, as it constantly gets worn down by repeated attacks and hazard pressure. It's still a really good Pokemon, and his excellent points, such as his phazing, burning, and excellent typing and bulk are still more prominent than the drawbacks, but he does need a bit more support to reach maximum potential (ie Aromatherapy Roselia to wake it up and wall the things it attracts, etc.)

I think Accelgor should really stay where it is, because it's a pretty self sufficient sweeper, having amazing Speed and pretty strong coverage, so it can use LO Attacks to clear out teams with just hazard support alone. It's also a really good Spiker, with only Scolipede being as good as Accelgor. It and its centipede friend have the nice advantage over Smeargle in actual stats, so Accelgor can outpace more threats while also having the actual capability to lay the hurt against the opposition. Bug STAB is also really good atm; nails many of the top threats for some great damage, Escavalier being the only S-Rank threat Bugs are not good against. As Swamp-Rocket said though, I'm not completely opposed to it dropping down.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Guess i should update this before i go to bed >.>. Decided to keep accelgor in low A rank because of the reasoning stated by the above users on why it deserves to stay

Changes said:
Added Rotom-S to mid C rank
Moved Poliwrath down from mid A rank ----> top B rank
Added Beheeyem to low C rank
Mostly just some small updates this time, decided against moving Rhydon and Accelgor in the long run as i said before, added some viable NU mons to C rank, and moved poliwrath down a peg because of the reasons i and many other users stated above about its reliance on restalk and competition with other bulky Water-types.

I might add some proposals here later i guess if i think of anything :)

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I am unable to add to col49's Serperior discussion due to a lack of experience with it, I would like to nominate Roselia for top B rank. There are a few reasons as to why I really like Rose and use it in a good few teams. First of all, it makes a great Special wall with Eviolite, it has resistances to Grass (x4!), Fighting, Electric and Water (read: Leaf Storm / Giga Drain, Focus Blast, VOLT SWITCH / Thunderbolt, Surf / Scald / Hpump are all getting sponged).

Secondly, with these resistances and coverage in Giga Drain / Sudge Bomb, it can effectively check or counter some common threats; Lilligant, Tangrowth, Rotom-C not using Trick on the switch and Sceptile (252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Hidden Power Rock vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 48-57 (15.78 - 18.75%) -- possible 6HKO) are all unable to beat Roselia, which proceeds to KO them with Sludge Bomb. It also gets to set up on stuff like Amoonguss and Clefable, who can't really hurt it while their status moves are healed of when it switches. And that brings me to my third point: Natural Cure.

With Natural Cure, Roselia makes a ridiculously good absorber of status. It is immune to Toxic, while Para / Burn are cured upon switching out. Sleep absorbing is risky as they may be smart and just Spore again, requiring you to stay in and play mind games. Also, Roselia can now use Rest as a reliable form of recovery, healing up to max and then switching out to wake up all over again.

Finally, the real selling point, and Roselia's only pressing advantage over its similarly typed neighbour Amoonguss. With Spikes, Roselia brings outstanding utility to the team, filling a role many people are forced to place Suicide mons into (e.g Custap Crustle). It helps your sweepers score precious KOs and weakens grounded Pokemon substantially throughout the match. There isn't much to say here, just that with its good typing and great Special bulk, Roselia can switch in on threatening Special Attackers, remove tspikes, absorb status and set up Spikes, and I think that valuable skillset is top B worthy.

E: #post300 woo

EonX

Battle Soul
Serperior: I don't really have a lot of experience with this one way or another. Pretty sure it deserves a rank due to its versatility between special attacking, physical attacking, and supporting in the form of dual screens, taunt, and SubSeed. Just don't have experience with it to add much more than that.

Roselia: Complete opposite of Serperior in terms of experience. Having used Roselia quite a bit recently, I can say that it's very good. One of the few surefire Rotom-C counters in the tier while it also takes most special attackers that aren't of the Fire- or Ice-type. While it is more of a defensive Spiker, Roselia's base 100 Special Attack actually lets it hit back with some sort of authority with its STABs, something most other defensive Spikers are unable to do. However, I would like to warn people when using Roselia to counter Sceptile; physical Sceptile ruins Roselia entirely. Dual Spikes Roselia is also really cool right now since it really hampers Fire-types, AKA the best way of beating Roselia into the ground. It works great on balance, bulky offense, and stall teams (Aromatherapy Rose is cool for Stall teams) so it finds a spot on many different teams. Just make sure you have a physical wall such as Rhydon or Regirock to compensate for Rose's pathetic physical defense. Top B for sure.

ss234

bop.
Nomming golurk for low A :]

Golurk is rlly, rlly good now. That typing, sr, solid bulk, iron fist and a great attack stat make it one of the best sr users in the tier imo, as well as one of the best wallbreakers with CB. Firstly, the typing. Ghost / ground gives it a huge number of resistances / immunities, allowing it to beat most rock types, some normal types(notably tauros), p much all fighting types and electric types too. These types are really popular in ru atm. The ghost typing also means it is immune to spin, which although it doesn't do that well against the spinblockers(although it does beat tops lacking waterfall and defensive cryo one on one)means it can act as a last ditch spinblocker which is nice. The CB set is ridiculously powerful-it 2HKO's everything in ru with sr and a layer of spikes, and although it is quite prediction reliant, if you hit the correct move generally something dies.

Overall, I think that Golurk's combination of typing, solid stats, iron fist and movepool make it a solid low A rank pokemon.

Also:
Roselia: Thinking about it i think Roselia is fine where she is, in fact, i could see a move down to low B rank being somewhat reasonable if someone were to bring it up. Sure, Roselia's an excellent Spikes setter that can check some important Pokemon such as Sceptile and Lilligant, but she struggles a bit because of her complete lack of physical bulk, even with Eviolite factored in. This lack of physical bulk means Roselia is often forced out by strong Pokemon such as Emboar, Entei, Durant, and Gallade, preventing her from doing her job as effectively. It also means Roselia is very vulnerable to getting Pursuit trapped by things such as Spiritomb, Absol, and Especially Escavalier, who can switch in on her and eliminate her from the match before she can set up too many layers of spikes, while also possibly opening up the Roselia user to a Lilligant or Sceptile sweep. Don't get me wrong, Roselia isn't a bad Pokemon or bad spiker at all, i just think her complete lack of usable physical bulk holds her back from performing her best as a defensive spiker, and she should therefore stay in mid B rank.

Rose was nommed for high B on the last page, and was rejected. Nothing has changed at all so I don't get why it is being nommed again :/

I agree with Golurk for low A. It is an amazing Pokemon in ru right now (and rly needs to move up). My personal favorite set to use in ru is Band, as it decimates pretty much everything with the right move. In a tier with good spinners such as Cryogonal and Kabutops, spinblocking is awesome, and lets you keep your hazards up while taking advantage of them and putting massive pressure on your opponents team by firing off boosted Earthquakes to keep them on their toes. Ghost/Ground is a solid typing, enabling it to check lots of widespread types such as Electric, Fighting and Bug.

I think that all these awesome traits combined definitely make Golurk a Low A Rank Pokemon.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After testing it out I nominate Butterfree for Low C Rank.

It has crippling SR weaknesses, but with support it can sweep. Sadly it's usually outclassed by Lilligant. It should only really be used if your team needs the Bug STAB. What keeps it out Top D, to me, it it's Scarf set, which is somehwat OK for spreading status and keeps it from being totally under Lilligant's shadow.

EonX

Battle Soul
Golurk: Been using Golurk a lot recently and I think Low A is more than justified. I personally prefer the SR set since it has flexibility in its play. It can lay SR, check many dangerous Pokemon such as Gallade, Durant, Escavalier, and Galvantula all while beating or denting most walls. Its STAB coverage is really good and it also has the elemental punches and Drain Punch to deal with any certain threat that your team may struggle with. Band set is good, but I won't talk about it as pretty much everything about it has been mentioned already. RP set is pretty underrated, but if you can get a boost up, it crushes stuff. Kinda sucks that its weak to Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch, but RP Golurk is still nothing to mess around with. Definitely support this thing moving up.

Swanna: I really don't have anything on this. Seems cool, but idk for sure.

Butterfree: I still think Butterfree is best in Top D even with the Scarf set. Lilligant can pretty much do the same thing with a Scarf and also has a really fast Healing Wish to bring a teammate back if Lilligant has done its job or is of no more use in general. Really, the only reason you should ever consider using Butterfree over Lilligant is for that Bug STAB. Lilligant has QD. It has status moves. It has Healing Wish over Butterfree too.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nah, Butterfree imo is a Pokemon that's solidly C rank. Quiver Dance isn't outclassed at all really; Tinted Lens Bug Buzz gives Butterfree a huge niche over Lilligant, since it means that Butterfree has virtually perfect neutral coverage with just that move, as the only common Pokemon in RU that resist Tinted Lens Bug Buzz is like, Emboar and Moltres This means that Butterfree can actually be more difficult to wall than Lilligant in certain circumstances, as Lilligant will always have a slew of hard counters depending on its Hidden Power, while Butterfree is only walled by Emboar, Moltres, and stuff like Clefable, which Lilligant can have a lot of issues beating as well. While Butterfree is definitely a lot frailer and has a devastating weakness to Stealth Rock, the fact that it can run Substitute in the last slot does help make it harder to revenge kill, and the presence of weak defensive Pokemon like Uxie / Amoonguss / Tangrowth and its access to Sleep Powder gives it some nice set up opportunities. Granted, it does require quite a bit of support to work effectively, but it definitely has a solid niche in RU and can be very strong given the right support, so low / mid C rank is probably the best place for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)