1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 5 The RU Viability Ranking Thread

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Molk, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Top S:
    -Druddigon

Mid S:
    -Slowking
    -Sceptile

Low S:
    -Moltres
    -Kabutops
    -Escavalier

This is for me the S-rank in my opinion, Uxie and Alomomola dont deserved him. I can explain later etc
  2. JMcFizz

JMcFizz

Having played NU quite a bit, I can attest to Alo's incredible ability to take physical attacks. However it isn't quite able to take the huge banded attacks from some big threats in the tier. To take on the premier S rank physical nukes, Druddigon and Escav, it needs to be paired with something else to take on the banded stabs, ie. Steelix.

252+ Atk Choice Band Druddigon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 255-300 (47.7 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 276-325 (51.6 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 297-351 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

However as a bulky pivot on things that don't hit too hard it does a great job. But it isn't able to wall all physical attackers. When pressured by the right banded poke, alo is unable to wishpass.

Also, it get completely shit on by pokes that set up using a substitute. I run a sub bulkup gallade, and it sets up ALLLLLLL over Alo, as drain punching something with that HUGE HP stat is a beautiful thing.
    Alo has problems with hone claws durant as well... If it switches in on the hc...
    +1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 281-331 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    with a LUM berry you could even conceivably sub durant IN on alo, if you don't get the 9% chance of a double scald burn.
    0- SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 67-81 (25.9 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I get that Alo does what it's meant to do when used correctly. However, its failure to take on the best physical nukes in the teir 1 on 1, and being HUGE setup bait for Lum berry or substitute pokes imo disqualifies it from S-rank. So Alomomola for High A
  3. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO

Yeah I think that Alomomola deserved be non-S rank because:

Predictable utility and movepool as well, with this means that Alomomola at best have 5~6 moves to use only lol Scald or Waterfall; first burns but can be counterproductive along with Toxic also Waterfall hits slighty stronger, Wish and Protect are mandatory, finally the Toxic or Magic Coat, if you dedices run Magic Coat then cant counter another stuff (ex: SD Samurott).
    This is all about their movepool at best, so cant be threatened by itself.

Actually many things really can donk Alomomola; not only beat him, also they can take a big advantage playing around Alomomola teams.

- Physical grass types such Sceptile, Torterra or Sawsbuck.
    - Pretty hard hitters like Aggron or Druddigon with the Choice Band, Alomomola relies on the Protect at best and they needs another secondary check for the hard hitter otherwise will be 2HKO.
    - Substitute boosters which are common/strong in RU beats Alomomola also a big potential to sweep their opponent team, the list is very long like: Gallade, Fraxure, Braviary, Bouffalant, Klinkang, Crawdaunt, Scolipede etc
    - Status on physical stuff like Toxic Golurk, Entei or Druddigon cripple Alomomola for the entire battle (heal/aroma only fits at stall tbh).
    - Lum Berry mons like SD Tops or HC Durant break him.
    - Another stuff like Zangoose SD or Gothorita (this last for trap).

This list is only at the physical side, where Alomomola is really fat; clearly if you're gonna use a team which is 2/3 walled by a single Alomomola you're gonna get owned like for example a random team: aerodactyl lo / scarf emboar / sr druddigon etc but is a thing about teambuilder not about how strong is Alomomola which I agree that is probably the best wall in the entire tier and extremely fat, but just not enough good to S-rank because predictable, lack of power totally and enough things takes advantage or handle him, so Alomomola deserved Top-A Rank in my opinion, also clearly at my eyes.
  4. Durant

Durant

Magneton is top A and mid A so you might want to fix that.
  5. Leer

Leer

This is probably going to be the last post or one of the last because we have just one month of Gen V RU (Molk are ypu even updating this) left but whatever.

After countless tests and the quality posts above, I've been convinced otherwise of Alomomola being S rank. It could wall most Pokemon but most Special threats and a few Physical nukes could KO it, as well as other stallmons. It won the pp war most of the time and could wishpass, but thats what makes it Top-A I guess.

I'll actually agree with Nails about Scyther being Mid-B. I was thinking about saying that initially, but I wasn't sure if I was asking for too much.

Lilligant cpuld probably be Low-A rank honestly. I used it a TON (first team), and while it preformed at A level with a late-game sweep saving me a lot, it wasn't really on par with Tangrowth. It only had decent bulk (70/75/75) and it has to use the unreliable Sleep Talk to set up, which can go bad in a miss or a quick wake-up. And while Own Tempo+Petal Dance is a good combo, it still locks you in for a few turns, which could be bad if they carry a Bouffalent or Sawsbuck or something.

And same with Absol. It's A-Rank, but I feel lile it's more Low-A material. I don't feel like it's on par with zero-weakness Spiritomb as a Dark type, and it does have more flaws than other Mid-A Pokemon of the same niche. It can't bulk more than a couple hits from anything other than a non-offensive threat, and it needs Sucker Punch due to its 75 base speed. It does have a 120 base power (after STAB) move paired with a 130 attack stat and a high crit chance, so no lower than Low-A, but other than that it doesn't have too much going for it. Now, in Gen VI it does have a 100% crit rate with Super Luck+Scope Lens+Night Slash, but the mega evolution will end up sending it to UU.

Sorry for any typos, I'm posting from my phone right now.
  6. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO

With SPL almost done, and same with this tier, i wanna post how I feel that they should be ranked, the mons between S and A Ranks :toast:

S-RANK

top:
    -druddigon - best mon in the tier: great bulk, utility and power, good ability and nice typing for RU tier, cons: weak to hazards + being slow + explotable weakness, does bad against spike statackin offense, kills 1 mon at best (this cons makes druddi not broken!!)
    -sceptile - 3054685268 options for playing, totally unpredictable + very fast this thing which makes advantage almost always in 1 vs 1, can sweep entire teams or just lure and kill key mons, weak af.

mid:
    -slowking
    -sigyliph

low:
    -kabutops
    -moltres
    -qwilfish
    -durant

A-RANK

top:
    -aerodactyl
    -alomomola
    -rotom-c
    -magneton
    -steelix
    -golurk

mid:
    -emboar
    -escavalier
    -mesprit
    -uxie
    -spiritomb
    -rhydon
    -lilligant
    -rotom-n

low:
    -cryogonal
    -omastar
    -amoonguss
    -aggron
    -scolipede
    -tangrowth
    -gallade
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Magcargo, Blizzard, Passion and 3 others like this.
  7. SilentVerse

SilentVerse Into the New World
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

Since I'm out of SPL now and there is literally only going to be one more relevant RU match happening ever, I'll post my rankings as well :).

S-Tier - metagame defining pkmns; easy to fit onto teams and they should be prepared for b/c they will wreck you otherwise

High

Druddigon

Mid

Alomomola
    Durant

Low

Sceptile
    Magneton
    Sigilyph

A-Tier - reasonably strong pkmns, easy to fit b/c they cover a bunch of roles in one teamslot or fill important slots that are difficult to fill otherwise

High

Qwilfish
    Rotom-C
    Aerodactyl
    Slowking
    Moltres
    Rotom-N
    Steelix

Mid

Kabutops
    Escavalier
    Uxie
    Golurk
    Cryogonal
    Smeargle

Low

Aggron
    Torterra
    Gallade
    Lilligant
    Emboar
    Entei
    Spiritomb
    Tauros
    Roselia

B-Tier - good pkmns, but slightly niche and fill specific roles on teams.

High

Absol
    Archeops
    Omastar
    Rhydon
    Amoonguss
    Manectric
    Accelgor
    Samurott
    Scolipede
    Tangrowth
    Cinccino
    Mesprit

Mid

Hitmonlee
    Jynx
    Bouffalant
    Sawsbuck
    Zangoose
    Klinklang
    Ferroseed
    Medicham
    Swellow
    Braviary
    Gothorita

Low

Magmortar
    Lanturn
    Poliwrath
    Regirock
    Crustle
    Clefable
    Typhlosion
    Seismitoad
    Carracosta
    Mandibuzz
    Scyther
    Galvantula
    Rotom-F
    Ciele likes this.
  8. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

agree with most of HnC's list except:

emboar is too high, Low A
    Amoonguss is too low, Mid A
    Mesprit is way too high, somewhere in B
  9. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

S+

Druddigon (i originally thought 100% of teams were improved by adding druddigon, but hnc convinced me that it was closer to 80-90%)

S

Nothing is close to drud, it gets a buffer tier between it and the second place mon.
    S-

Alomomola
    Rotom-C
    Sceptile

A+

Magneton
    Kabutops
    Sigilyph
    Moltres (only scarf, anything else is like low a or so)
    Rotom-N (only because it can deal with moltres pretty well)

A

Scolipede
    Qwilfish (bulky qwil sucks)
    Cryogonal
    Golurk
    Aerodactyl
    Steelix

A-

Durant
    Amoongus
    Spiritomb
    Slowking (drud bait, best use is a sigilyph counter or fighting type switch in)
    Swellow
    Archeops
    Escavalier (only because pursuit is really good, the rest of the mon sucks)
    Seismitoed
    Aggron

B+

Jynx
    Lanturn
    Torterra
    Emboar
    Rotom-F
    Ferroseed (kind of a gimmicky spiker, but it's a spiker and spikes are super strong)
    Roselia (see above)
    Accelgor (see above)

B

Uxie
    Smeargle
    Entei (cb espeed is like 60% of the reason to use it, mola + mushroom/tangrowth on the enemy team makes it worthless)
    Gallade
    Cinccino (cb only)
    Riolu (extremely matchup dependant, but it's basically a pokemon that can sweep any team once its counters are removed given a turn of setup)
    Omastar (see above. yes, i think omastar is the functional equivalent of riolu.)
    Scyther (pursuit + uturn)
    Haunter
    Manectric

B- (after this point everything is situational so I'm basically listing mons that I think don't completely suck at anything you try to do with them)

Rhydon
    Tangrowth
    Mesprit
    Tauros
    Bouffalant
    Lilligant
    Gothorita
    Klinklang
    Exeggutor
    Absol
    Zangoose
    Primeape
    Braviary

C+

Medicham
    Crustle
    Poliwrath
    Samurott
    Zangoose
    Clefable
    Klinklang
    Piloswine
    Musharna
    Altaria (specstile switch with recovery, does nothing else well)
    Crawdaunt
    Gurdurr
    Hitmonlee
    Sandslash
    Ninjask (252 SpA Choice Specs Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Ninjask: 127-150 (39.07 - 46.15%). it still sucks, but the fact that it can switch into specstile and set up if you predict right makes it viable. untested, btw.)
    Galvantula
    Regirock
    Typhlosion

I might be forgetting a couple mons but everything else basically sucks
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  10. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¬°YA HA!
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Since I don't play RU, might as well share my list.

S+
    Alomomola
    [10:07] <@Tsunami> amazing hp, massive wishes, regen, good typing, scald, toxic, gay as shit, walls everything, fuck stall fuck mola

S mid
    Druddigon
    Durant

Rest of list is whatever :]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)