The RU Viability Ranking Thread

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think you can exactly say Aero completely outclasses Archeops. Archeops has a massive 140 Attack stat, which, when paired with Flying Gem Acrobatics and STAB Stone Edge, as well as either EQ or Heat Wave, is very deadly in the right conditions. Archeops, aside from being much stronger than Aerodactyl, is capable of running Heat Wave effectively, which means Steelix and Escavalier need to think before coming in, unlike with Aerodactyl. This also allows Archeops to pummel Durant, who is one of the deadlier forces around. Of course, Aerodactyl is faster, and yeah, is generally better, but Archeops still has its place. I think Archeops fits the definition of C to a tree; it has a notable niche, which is to use its STAB's and attack stats (plus its good Speed) to be able to put massive dents in teams, while it has equally as notable flaws in its awful ability, which makes it weak after it loses half of its HP (but that hardly matters because most things will OHKO it anyway, lol), its god awful defensive typing, making it harder to switch in and also making it vulnerable to priority. Therefore, as C-Rank says, Archeops needs significant support to be effective in RU, with the need of a spinner, such as Sandslash or Cryogonal, to keep SR at bay, as well as some bulky team support to be able to take down some priority users. However, with this support, Archeops can be very effective. He also faces competition from Aerodactyl as the fast Rock-type hitter, as you said, which is fine for a C-Rank Pokemon.

As for Magneton, I think the reason it's in the C-Rank is because while it sports a very good niche in trapping Steels while also being a potent hard hitter, its rather middling Speed along with three exploitable weaknesses are what let it down. Its typing gives it some very good resistances, but also gives it three nasty weaknesses, to Fighting, Ground, and Fire, which make it easy to kill with threats such as Nidoqueen, Gallade, and Moltres. It is also rather slow, so it may not outspeed much. However, Magneton still has a very good niche, and thus is a C-Rank Pokemon.

And on Tangrowth, I believe mid A-Rank is the best place for Tangrowth. He is a very physically bulky Pokemon, and is one of the good physical walls in RU. He can wall some stuff, forms a usable defensive core with Slowking, and has offensive presence, which are all very good perks. However, the arrival of things like Escavalier and Nidoqueen into the tier do give Tang a hard time, so mid is best.

I will speak on what should be mid and low B-Rankers later today.

Ok I withdrw my my arguement on archeops dropping down to D-Rank

Also, Tangrowth is definetly mid A-Rank. I mean it has a powerful STAB power whip and, along with amoongus, is the only real defensive grass type in the tier. Also it can form the slowgrowth core with slowking. However tangrowth has low special defense, which will always be his greatest downfall AND he faces competition with amoongus, who has better Special defense and also has regenerator.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Thanks ScraftyIsTheBest for explaining wh magneton is C-Rank.Hard to believe it was E-Rank at the beginning of the thread. There are alot of pokemon that I don't know why they are in C-Rank like haryama and scyther.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Okay, while I'm at it, I'll talk about what I think should be mid and low B-Rankers.

But before that, I'll throw in my support on Amoonguss and Magmortar being Top B-Rank. (My other opinions on Top B-Rankers are in a previous post.

Amoonguss is a solid and useful Pokemon who has very good 114 / 70 / 80 Bulk, some very good resistances, and Spore. With Spore, Amoonguss basically incapacitates an opponent for free, and the Gen 5 Sleep machanics means it's a basic KO. This is a plus for Amoonguss. Also, it has Clear Smog to deter setup from Gallade and friends. Amoonguss also has enough Special Attack to run an offensive set, which is a plus. This Pokemon also has Regenerator to keep his HP intact. Very good, and thus should be Top B.

Magmortar is one hell of a wallbreaker. It has fearsome special attack and amazing coverage, thus it is very hard to wall. Its Thunderbolt is a nice asset, and can hit Water-types hard. Focus Blast and HP Ice can put the hurt on other things as well. Magmortar has few hard counters and is worthy of Top B-Rank.

Mid:

Aerodactyl, Carracosta, Clefable, Feraligatr, Galvantula, Gardevoir, Glaceon, Klinklang, Ludicolo, Manectric, Medicham, Misdreavus, Omastar, Piloswine, Samurott, Scolipede, Seismitoad, Typhlosion, Walrein

Aerodactyl, I'm going to suggest mid now. Ehh, Stone Edge is horribly unreliable, and EQ is its only other good move. That said, Aerodactyl does have its place as a strong attacker and an okay SR lead.

Carracosta is a very good Pokemon, with rock hard defense plus Stealth Rock making it usable, as well as being a very strong Shell Smash sweeper after a boost. His good coverage in Aqua Jet or Ice Beam, Stone Edge, and Waterfall is nice, so it can really sweep after a boost. Though its low Speed and awful defensive typing are letdowns, Carracosta is still a very good Pokemon who can pull his weight.

Clefable is a very good supportive Pokemon in RU, with her cleric and Wish capabilities being excellent qualities for a team, as healing status and HP to teams, especially stall teams, is phenomenal. Clefable can also take repeated onslaughts from Nidoqueen, the undeniable top threat in the metagame right now, which is also a plus. It also has a decent Life Orb set that can work, although it does face competition from Nidoqueen. This thing walls a number of special attackers too. Fairly versatile, as Swamp-Rocket said, so Mid B is very good for Clefable.

Feraligatr is a vicious Swords Dance user, and his wallbreaking prowess makes him one fearsome Pokemon. His priority Aqua Jet can pick off speedy things too, so Gatr is just one hell of a Pokemon. DD is also nice too. Though, GATR TIME is not as good as it used to be, and it's easier to take down. Feraligatr is still rather solid, so Mid B is perfect.

Galvantula is a potent special attacker in RU, and his Compoundeyes boosted Thunder can be brutal, and very good too. Bug Buzz is neat, and maims most Grass types bar Roselia and Amoonguss, but those two are very good anyways, so eh. It has Giga Drain to nail Grounds too, so yeah. Overall, while it's frail and SR Weak, and its SpA is not the greatest, it's still good enough to warrant mid B.

Gardevoir is a very underrated special attacker in RU, not sure why it isn't used more. That said, its 125 Special Attack, decent 80 Speed, and phenomenal movepool make it a versatile Pokemon. Its LO set is very dangerous, and can hit excessively hard. With Trace, it can check Lanturn, Nidoqueen (and copy SF to get a horde of hard hits going), Magneton, and much more. It also can run Scarf and Specs effectively, so it can be a hard hitter or revenge killer. It also has a good support movepool to be a usable team player. Very versatile Pokemon who can do very well, mid B is very good for it.

Glaceon is completely and utterly useless outside of hail, but it is one of the best hail candidates, for in hail it is quite a formidable threat. It has 130 Special Attack, and when combined with an incredible STAB Blizzard, can put some real hurt on opponents (Druddigon and Nidoqueen are running for cover right now). HP Ground and Shadow Ball add to the fun, taking care of Steels and Slowking, respectively. SubProtect is also incredibly annoying, although not as much as Stallrein, and is very good.

Klinklang is an awesome sweeper with Shift Gear, and with a boost he's very deadly. Although his coverage is extremely lacking, he has power behind Gear Grind, Return, and Wild Charge. He is fast and powerful, and his typing makes sure he won't go down too quickly. This makes Klinklang a deadly Pokemon. One could go as far as using THE MIGHTY ROCK SMASH to hurt Magneton, but it's weak. Still, Klinklang is solid and a good B.

Ludicolo is awesome and underrated. In rain, its Speed is very high and its LO Rain boosted Hydro Pump is brutal. It can sweep whole teams in a flash without any hesitation; so much that nothing can stop it. Giga Drain will be sure to keep those waters at bay, as well as Ice Beam. Ludicolo is amazing and mighty powerful, and I am not sure why it is NU. However, I am going for mid B because its dependence on the rain prevent it from going further.

Manectric is a solid revenge killer with a Scarf, and his usable coverage make him rather strong. He has great Speed and no SR weakness, which make him a good Scarfer. Overheat and HP do give in coverage. That said, Nidoqueen hurts Manectric's viability quite a bit, plus it's a one trick pony, but nonetheless, it's very solid.

Medicham is a solid threat in RU, with an Attack stat rivaling Kyurem-B, plus STAB Hi Jump Kick, which make it a wrecking machine. Psycho Cut also does good against Ghosts, although it may still struggle with them. While it struggles with Psychic and Ghost-types, those are always able to be solved via teammates, such as Absol to trap Psychics and Ghosts, as well as Entei or Moltres to absorb Will-O-Wisps from the Ghosts. While Medicham may need a little support, it's wrecking capabilities more than outshine its flaws.

Misdreavus is a very good spinblocker in RU, with her good bulk from Eviolite, can wall some shit like Gallade and to a lesser extent, Nidoqueen. Missy also has Heal Bell to be a good cleric, plus 85 SpA to hit decently hard. Misdreavus also has a very good CM set to boot. Overall, good spinblocker, definite mid B.

Omastar is one vicious sweeper. With Shell Smash, his Special Attack and Speed go up drastically, making him a force to be reckoned with. Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and HP Grass after the boost devastate teams. While its awful defensive typing and Speed do hold it back some, its power and speed after the boost make it a devastating sweeper, thus a mid B.

Piloswine is a good tank, I guess. It has a usable defensive typing, has good bulk. So it can take hits and dish them back. He has a good resistance to Ice, meaning he can live Blizzards. His good bulk really helps too. Ground and Ice also have very good coverage together, and with its 100 Attack, it can put some decent dents. Priority in Ice Shard is also useful to pick off weak opponents. This makes Pilo very good, and as a result mid B.

Samurott is a potent Pokemon in RU, it has both a physical and a special set. Both are scary already, but as Swamp said, not knowing which one it's running makes it even more vicious. Megahorn is really good, and regardless, before Samurott starts, it's pretty hard to counter, and it can be sure to force you to sack some of your Pokemon.

Scolipede is really solid in RU, and is just outright very good. Even if there are other Bugs for Scolipede to compete with, the mega centipede has enough perks to stand out. Unlike Accelgor, Scolipede has very good coverage to use in EQ and Rock Slide, thus it is not as easy to wall. Megahorn is also much stronger than Accelgor's Bug Buzz. Accelgor's still outstanding, but Scolipede's still got a place. Furthermore, Scolipede's a speed machine, so he can spam some Megahorns while being fast (as opposed to Escavalier). Scolipede is, along with Accelgor, one of the best offensive Spikers in RU, with his super Speed, excellent coverage, a decent Attack to work with, and Swarm. With a Sash, a Swarm powered Megahorn is really cool. SD Pede is very good and wrecks house like no tomorrow. Solid Mid B imo.

Ah yes, Seismitoad. I've used it before, and I was very impressed. In rain, he's even faster than Ludicolo, and can hit hard with Hydro Pump. While he lacks Ice Beam, Sludge Wave and Earth Power provide ample enough coverage. Grass Knot is cool too if needed. Seismitoad is such a dangerous sweeper in rain, and being able to absorb Electric attacks is also neat for rain teams. I haven't used a defensive set, but it looks good with Water Absorb, checking some things well. But eh, mid B is good.

[B]Typhlosion[/B] is one powerful Pokemon, with a Specs boosted Eruption being one annihilator. Its Fire Blast, if it reaches Blaze level, it powerful as well, so it will wreck everything. Its sheer power with a Specs is undeniable. A Sunny Day set is also rather cool, and is powerful. Although Charizard gives it competition, Ty isn't worn down as easily. The only problem with Typhlosion is his SR weakness and vulnerability to priority making him hard pressed to get full power, but Typhlosion is still very solid.

Walrein, much like Vanilluxe and Glaceon, is useless outside of hail, but in the hail he's one of the most annoying things on the planet. Stallrein can spam Protect and Sub, making Hail and Toxic damage stack and wear down the opponent so that they suffer. After it starts stalling, it's very hard to stop. It's very bulky, and some Pokemon will struggle to break his Subs, let alone Walrein. Very solid mid B-Ranker, cause Stallrein is a boss.

Low:
Crawdaunt, Drapion, Fraxure, Miltank, Sawsbuck, Swellow

Crawdaunt packs raw power, and with Adaptability, it wrecks whole teams after a DD boost, and most of the tier, even Steelix, will be running for their lives at this fearsome beast. Only few things, such as Tangrowth, Quagsire, and Poliwrath (and Ferroseed, who sucks, lol) can even dream of beating Crawdaunt. This makes Crawdaunt a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, it's hard to use because it's frail and slow, and its typing leaves it weak to Sceptile and Scolipede, both of who outspeed Daunt after a boost. This, as a result, makes me go with low B.

Drapion, as DittoCrow and Swamp-Rocket have both said, is a low level threat in RU. His 90 Attack isn't good enough to be hitting shit hard enough, and he isn't up to par defensively either. He can't stand up to the offensive pressure of the metagame, and strong Pokemon can make through it. Drapion is also outclassed by Absol, Spiritomb, and Escavalier as Pursuit trappers. The former is also a much better user of Swords Dance because he has priority, is much stronger, and is better in general. Overall, Drapion is a low level threat in RU, and thus is a low B-Rank Pokemon.

Fraxure is very good, with good coverage, high power, and usable Speed after a DD to work with. Outrage and either Low Kick or Superpower offer enough coverage to smash teams with ease. However, it's kinda hard to set up, so low B is right. This thing is very underrated though.

Miltank is very good, being a decent wall and can also go for the moofensive as well. It is very good, but it has a few exploitable flaws to boot.

Sawsbuck is a boss, sporting incredible coverage, Swords Dance, and good Speed. It is a vicious sweeper once it gets going, and can wreck shop so damn easily it's not even funny. Very much underrated in RU, but Saws is very good. However, it's sometimes hard pressed to get the boost, mostly because it's rather frail. Also, Cinccino and Bouffalant may sometimes be better offensive Pokemon. Eh, I'm torn between mid and low B, mostly because it's very good, but it's a bit hard to use.

Swellow is one powerhouse, with Guts boosted Facade being a wrecking machine, and its high Attack and 140 STAB just destroy the hell outta everything. Its STAB Brave Bird is also monstrous. But it's easy to wear down with the BB Recoil, Burn damage, and SR weakness, plus its coverage is lacking. Still, with some support, Swellow can wreck shop.

Anyways, all I gotta say here.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, ive made a few edits to the ranks, here is the list of the changes ive made so:

A Rank Changes:
I have added Tangrowth to mid A rank

B Rank Changes:
I have added Amoonguss to top B rank
I have added Aggron to top B rank
I have added Hitmonlee to top B rank
I have added Magmortar to top B rank
I have added Rhydon to top B rank
I have added Snover to top B rank
I have added Aerodactyl to mid B rank
I have added Clefable to mid B rank
I have added Misdreavus to mid B rank
I have added Piloswine to mid B rank
I have added Samurott to mid B rank
I have added Crawdaunt to low B rank
I have added Drapion to low B rank
I have added Fraxure to low B rank
While im at it, im also going to suggest adding Swoobat to C rank. While Swoobat looks unassuming at first, it got a huge buff in BW2 that's been completely overlooked: Simple. Simple doubles the stat gain Swoobat gets from stat boosting/dropping items, effectively turning Calm Mind into the equivalent of using Nasty Plot and Amnesia in one turn, making Swoobat incredibly threatening after just one turn of set up, especially with its good base 114 Speed stat, which lets it outrun the majority of the unboosted metagame with no trouble at all. Sadly, Swoobat has some notable flaws that keep it out of a rank higher than C, imo, most notable of which being its fraility. 67/55/55 ensures that Swoobat isnt going to be taking hits any time soon, and also makes Swoobat very vulnerable to priority, making it harder to pull off a successful sweep. Swoobat is also somewhat overshadowed by Sigilyph, who has more inital power, usable bulk, and Magic Guard over poor Swoobat. Nonthenless, Swoobat can still be incredibly dangerous when it wants to be, and in my opinion deserves at least mid C rank.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, gonna post on three Pokémon now.

First is Miltank and its placement in the B rank list. Miltank is a solid Mid B Pokémon, and it's no question. I'm one of the people who have used this Pokémon the most, and from my experience it's nowhere close to Low. It's a great support Pokémon with access to Stealth Rock, Heal Bell, two great status moves, and its own recovery move. It's able to several different threats to varying degrees, being capable to even handle Nidoqueen, even though some threats requires a certain ability (Thick Fat or Sap Sipper). On top of that it has Speed to go with as well, and an usuable Attack stat for its Body Slam. The offensive set is also great when it gets going, and it's not hard to get a Sap Sipper boost in an enviroment where Grass-type moves fly around; be it Sleep Powders and Spores, or Leech Seeds and Giga Drains. Again, a base 100 Speed stat allows it to outrun or tie with many faster threats, most notably Entei, while it has bulk to boot allowing it to recover any recoil from Double-Edge and LO with relative ease. I don't really know what's so exploitable about Miltank though, as I've rarely felt that Miltank has been the weak link; it's often it who puts my opponent on hold.

Next one is Musharna. I've been using it for the last like five days, and it's been really solid. The main set I used was the same Calm Mind set that it uses in NU; the moves where Calm Mind / Moonlight / Heal Bell / Psychic. It has the bulk, power, and moves to set up and then sweep late-game. IMO, this is the optimal move set for CM Musharna, as status from Pokémon like Slowking (which it beats 1-on-1 w/ Heal Bell) is a real pain; Synchronize is a nice combo with Heal Bell as well, as Toxic and such will be inflicted on the opponent as well. However, with only Psychic as its attacking option, it's obviously stopped by certain Pokémon. Dark-type and Escavalier are the main issues, while Durant can stop Musharna most of the time. This means it needs support to get rid of these Pokémon to allow it to set up and sweep, but it's easily fixed. While I never used it myself, Baton Pass is also an option to pass to a teammate when Musharna is stopped cold etc. (also bypasses Pursuit). I also tried some support variant, and it was good enough.

Overall, due to its overall great traits, Musharna should be put into B rank. It does require a little more support than the A rank Pokémon, but it's not much. Its slow Speed can be a slight hinderance at times, but it doesn't really matter when you can tank hits like a champ. When it comes to top, mid, and low, Musharna is nothing but a Top B rank Pokémon.

Doubt its bulk?

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 361-429 (83.37 - 99.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (This even happened to me today; I have the replay ready)

Last on my short little list is Cradily. Have nothing much to say about it though. Cradily is really a niche Pokémon. It stops some combined threats alone that some others can't, but it has weaknesses that hinders its walling capabilities. It stops one of the two best spinners (Kabutops), and loses to the other (Cryogonal) most of the time; its beats the mediocre Sandslash too though. Entei is probably one of the more interesting Pokémon that also struggles with Cradily. I really don't want to write much more about Cradily though. In short, it has Stealth Rock, Recover, great bulk, and Storm Drain to stop a variety of threats and support its team. I would put it in C rank, and when it comes into more detail, I think Mid C is the most fitting.

Typhlosion High B-Rank
While it faces competition from moltres and magmortar, typhlosion's higher speed and access to eruption make it a valuable choice. Thanks to blaze, typhlosion's fire blast can deal major damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Typhlosion's movepool is nothing to boast about, but it has all the tools it needs to be effective. Eruption is so powerful that, with a modest nature and choice specs, it can can 2HKO offensive Kabutops after SR damage!However, damage from entry hazards and faster attackers will weaken the power of its eruption, and its average defenses don't help either. While typhlosion is not the best fire type in the tier, it can wreck teams with its powerful attacks.

Also remove metang from E-Rank because it is NU now and almost nobody uses it.

I don't have much to add to what SuperJOCKE said– but I can vouch for Musharna. Having not played much RU in many months, I have in less than a day reached about 1950 on the ladder using Musharna. It's good.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
K ive made some updates to B rank and im also going to list some of the new proposed changes and give my current thoughts on them as well

Here are the changes ive made to the ranks:

Scolipede is manly said:
I have Added Medicham and Ludicolo to mid B rank
I think Medicham and Ludicolo fit into low B rank perfectly, both of them are very solid Pokemon with a definite place in the metagame (Medicham's an excellent cleaner with its mighty Hi Jump Kick and decent coverage otherwise while Ludicolo's an absolute monster under the rain). But have some flaws that keep them out of high B rank, Medicham's pretty frail all around and hates priority with a passion, not to mention switching in, and also has a hard time getting around Spiritomb, who's immune to both of its STAB attacks and quickly eliminates it with a combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit. Ludicolo is somewhat dependent on Rain to function to its full potential, and isnt an amazing Pokemon outside of the rain, which prevents it from being top b in my opinion, but if someone has a solid argument for promoting him i'd be happy to move him up to top.

Moving on to proposed changes, here are all the non top/mid/low related changes proposed in the past few days.

Adding Articuno to C rank

Adding Torterra to B rank

Adding Swoobat to C rank

Adding Cradily to C rank

Adding Musharna to B rank
Im going to vouch for Musharna as well, every time ive used or played against Musharna its been nothing short of impressive, its 116/85/95 defenses allow it to take hits like nothing, and with access to somewhat reliable recovery in the form of moonlight, Musharna's a tough nut to crack once it gets going. Because of its incredible bulk, specially defensive Musharna makes an excellent check to Nidoqueen, among other things. Never being 2hko'd by any of its attacks and healing off the damage with Moonlight, while also posing an immediate threat to queen with a super effective STAB Psychic, While also supporting the team with Heal Bell and Thunder Wave. Musharna can run a very effective Calm Mind+Baton Pass set as well, using its great bulk to rack up Calm Minds to either sweep on its own, or to pass the boosts to other dangerous Pokemon such as Nidoqueen, Moltres, or Sceptile. Baton Pass is also useful for evading Pursuit, which is a godsend for a Pursuit weak Pokemon such as Musharna. Im not sure where i'd put Musharna in B rank, but i think it deserves B rank for sure, or if not B rank, high C rank at the least.

EDIT: placed Glaceon in top B for now

Seriously, why isn't golurk actually in RU yet? With titanic attack coupled with a pretty beefy HP stat and decent defenses, golurk truly has its niche. The ability to keep its own rocks up, a truly painful punch (literally) and the ability to tank hit pretty well as it is, it is no surprise that golurk is worthy of at least mid b-rank in RU.

Oh by the way, i also decided to add Altaria to untested, does anyone have any experience with him?
Altaria is an extremely underrated threat in this meta. It can nuke a lot of things hard with Draco Meteor and is not too hard to slap onto a team. It can help massively luring some steel types that you may encounter as well as maiming a switch-in of Altaria -- Cryogonal. I have tested this quite well with my Grimsly and he has got a w/l of something like 20-1 on the RU ladder (not too great but still). He was actually running an interesting set of Draco Meteor+Power Swap with LO to cripple Slowking which is probably it's most common switch-in. Lastly, it can switch-in and hurt Nidoqueen really hard given it doesn't go for Ice Beam. I would petition it to go for C-Rank -- High or Mid C-Rank to be precise.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Ok, ive updated the ranks according the latest proposed changes, here are the changes ive implemented this time.

General Rank changes:

Added Articuno to C rank

Added Torterra to low B rank

Added Musharna to B rank

Added Swoobat to C rank

Added Cradily to C rank

Top/Mid/Low changes:

Added Golurk to Mid B rank

Added Carracosta to Mid B rank

Added Klinklang to Mid B rank
Also, im nominating Kangaskhan for at least mid B rank Kanga is sorely underrated in RU at the moment, and i really dont see why it isnt used more. While at first glance Kangaskhan might seem like its outclassed by other Normal-types such as Tauros and Zangoose, she has quite a bit over the other normal-types that makes her stand out as a unique and effective option in the RU metagame. The first and most significant perk Kangaskhan has is Scrappy, which gives Kangaskhan the ability to spam her Normal STAB and Fighting-type coverage moves without fear of a Ghost-type such as Spiritomb or Rotom coming in to wall her, as she completely bypasses their immunity to these moves and hits them for neutral damage instead. Kangaskhan also has a significant amount of bulk over the other Normal-types available in RU. 105/80/80 is incredibly good for an offensive Pokemon, and makes Kangaskhan much easier to switch in than her Normal-type bretheren despite her lack of resistances, while simultaneously making her very hard to OHKO (even Moltres has a hard time OHKOing 0/0 Kangaskhan with a Life Orb Hurricane, only being able to do so with the absolute maximum damage roll.) Lastly, Kangaskhan has Fake Out, which has a ton of utility, allowing her to become a makeshift revenge killer with a combination of Scrappy Fake Out and Sucker Punch, which has enough power to pick off the majority of the offensive Pokemon in the metagame, while also giving her the ability to stop Smeargle early game without it getting a single opportunity to put something to sleep or get hazards down, something other Pokemon would kill for. To be honest i dont know why i decided to put Kangaskhan in C rank in the first place, and i really think she should be placed in mid B rank at the very least (CherubAgent is even pushing for low A!).

EDIT: also, why the fuck isnt kanga a fighting type .-.

EDIT2: Added Feraligatr to top B rank for now

EDIT3: Added Flareon to untested

EDIT4: Added Lanturn and Omastar to mid B

Galvantula is undoubtedly a b-rank pokemon in RU. A stellar base 108 speed and an above average base 91 SpAtk (if memory serves) gives galvantula its offensive merit, and with bug/electric STAB only resisted by steelix, nidoqueen and a potential couple others, its ability to dent teams is quite impressive, especially with an around 90% accurate thunder if I remember correctly. The only real fault I see is that 95% of galvantula sets have the same movesets barring items. That said, it isn't hard to check galvantula, but it isn't a walk in the park dealing with it, either. In short, galvantula is b-rank, but I feel low b-rank is appropriate.

Sawsbuck, ah what an underrated force you are. with great physical STAB in normal/grass, along with nature power EQ, it is safe to say sawsbuck has the tools it needs to be an offensive threat. I've had experience using it as a standalone sweeper, with sunny day/ 3 attacks or forgoing nature power for SD (3 attacks is more reliable), and the only true problems are tangrowth and steelix to an extent. That said, sawsbuck is still quite frail, and without sun up is outsped by a good portion of RU, so low to mid b-rank feels most fitting.

Typhlosion, one of my favorite fire types. I'll try not to show bias here... Typhlosion is arguably one of the most potent special attackers in the tier, when it's healthy. SR weakness strikes again, weakening eruption with each switch in (actually fire blast is stronger after just one switch-in) Typhlosion is just a potent choiced pokemon, and not much but slowking can stop him with good prediction. It's offensive prowess as a whole in the tier lets me believe typhlosion is solid in mid b-rank, maybe even high b-rank

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Ok, because nobody seems to be opposed to promoting Kangaskan, ill just go ahead and added her to in mid B rank for now, if you think Kangaskhan should be in a higher or lower rank feel free to post your opinion!

I also made a few other changes to the ranks, i edited most of them into my last post but here they are for reference.

Changes said:
Moved Kangaskhan up from C rank ----> Mid B rank

Added Feraligatr to top B rank

Added Omastar to mid B rank

Added Flareon to Untested

Added Lanturn to mid B rank

Added Walrein to top B rank

Added Glalie to untested
EDIT: added Kadabra to untested!

EDIT2: Added Galvantula to mid B rank!

Ill probably edit this post with more content in a little bit

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flareon to Low C imo

I've used it before and it wasn't horrible but its also not very good. It can't take on much beyond a few specific mons. Small niche but still useful, low C imo.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll comment on the ones that are unranked for B.

B-Rank:

Top:

[dex=crustle](Crustle):[/dex] Crustle has some redeeming qualities and some unredeeming, but one of the only reasons to use Crustle is Spikes, which it does a great job of setting up. Smergle is usually a bit fit for more offensively-incline, but Crustle is better seen on slower offensive teams. Shell Smash and Spikes turns Crustle into a dangerous setter that can bludgeon the opposition a bit, and can lay down Stealth Rocks if needed; Sturdy makes sure that it can at least do something. Its biggest boon is Spikes, and it's not bad at setting them up. If it didn't have Spikes it would be lower down.

Mid:

[dex=Bouffalant](Bouffalant)[/dex]: I have a place in my heart for the afro-bull; it was really good in the Cresselia metagame. Everyone knows Bouffalant's perks: bulk, high attack, sap sipper, but with its Speed being the ultimate downfall. The reason why Bouffalant should be Mid-B is because, of its low Speed and its typing. The Speed means Bouffalant is not very useful in the more offensive metagame, and compounded by the typing means Bouffalant can't rely on resistances to absorb some damage. It doesn't help too much that Bouffalant's strongest option is Head Smash, which sorta wastes its excellent bulk.

[dex=galvantula](Galvantula):[/dex] Galvantula is an excellent LO cleaner, but isn't a very good Choiced Pokemon due to a Stealth Rock weakness. Galvantula has great coverage and can use the strongest Electric attack without missing all the time, and can scout early-game with Volt Switch! The SR weakness really does hurt though, which means that it needs extra support. I find that Galvantula is a really strong Pokemon, but lacks the 'oomph' needed to get the power that Moltres has.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
By the way, im seconding Altaria for C rank. Altaria is a really solid Pokemon at the moment. Despite her somewhat low base 70 Special Attack stat, Choice Specs Altaria hits surprisingly hard, being able to at the very least 2HKO all but the most Specially Defensive Pokemon in the tier with her powerful Draco Meteor. It doesnt hurt that the majority of Draco Meteor resists in RU either have low special bulk, absolutely hate Fire Blast, or both, making it much easier for Altaria to break them down. Altaria's good 75/90/105 defenses and Natural Cure ability make her a good pivot as well, being able to switch into various status moves and resisted Attacks with ease while firing off nuclear Draco Meteors in return. Altaria is even a decent answer to Nidoqueen, being immune to Earth Power while being able to take any other attack she could possibly throw at her bar Ice Beam even after Stealth Rock, while OHKOing with Draco Meteor in return. Altaria isnt limited to just the specs set either, she is capable of effectively running a Defensive set with several support options such as Haze and Heal Bell, a slightly gimmicky power swap set, and shes even capable of using Dragon Dance, although other Pokemon such as Fraxure and Shelgon might be better for that role (speaking of Shelgon, he seems like a cool mon to test as well, might be adding him to untested in the future). All in all, Altaria's a pretty cool Pokemon and i feel top C rank would be fine for her, possibly even low B rank would be acceptable, but i think that might be a bit of a stretch

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Camerupt is surprisingly good in this metagame, probably even better than in NU. What other pokemon can claim to come in on Galvantula, Manectric and Magmortar feasibly? It's one of the best checks to Electric-types I've seen in this tier, and can offer good team support in Lava Plume, Stealth Rock, and Roar. It can hold its own against other bulky pokemon such as Uxie, Tangrowth, Escavalier and Steelix, but does fall prey to virtually every Water-type in the tier. C-Rank at best, D-Rank at worst.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Camerupt is surprisingly good in this metagame, probably even better than in NU. What other pokemon can claim to come in on Galvantula, Manectric and Magmortar feasibly? It's one of the best checks to Electric-types I've seen in this tier, and can offer good team support in Lava Plume, Stealth Rock, and Roar. It can hold its own against other bulky pokemon such as Uxie, Tangrowth, Escavalier and Steelix, but does fall prey to virtually every Water-type in the tier. C-Rank at best, D-Rank at worst.
Hmmm camerupt seems pretty interesting actually. As you mentioned its an excellent check to the many Electric-types in the tier, and its also capable of checking a few special Fire-types and doing Ok against Escavalier (although CB megahorn still 2hkos camerupt, it outspeeds and poses an immediate threat, so its at least a one time check. Stealth Rock and Roar are really cool bonuses as well, making Camerupt a better support Pokemon in general and possibly saving a teamslot or two. Camerupt could also potentially pull off some offensive sets such as Rock Polish or a Trick Room attacker given its great STABs and good 100/105 attacking stats, although rupt's measly 40 Speed stat hampers this to an extent. Solid Rock is a useful tool as well, allowing Camerupt to take weaker super effective hits without dying on the spot. I think Camerupt is definitely worth a rank here, but i probably wouldnt put it anywhere above low C rank, its lack of reliable recovery sort of hampers it defensively, not to mention that Camerupt's defenses are pretty low for a defensive Pokemon, sitting at a modest 70/70/75.

On another note, i've made some changes to the ranks which i'll list here while im posting.

Added Galvantula to mid B rank

Added Crustle to top B rank

Added Manectric to mid B rank

Added Altaria to C rank
If you disagree with any of these changes, feel free to post your opinion!

EDIT: I've also decided to put Sawsbuck in low B rank and Steelix in top B rank after some thought

EDIT2: Added Dodrio, Muk, Victreebel, and Weezing to untested and Glalie to D rank

I would like to move Scyther to low B-rank.

Scyther is a great pokemon in ru, despite facing competition with durant. Scyther has amazing speed, Great attack and usable bulk with eviolite. CB Scyther has the ability to OHKO offensive moltres after SR, who is scyther's greatest enemy. Steelix can be 2HKO'd by a +2 life orb boosted brick break while dusknoir and spiritomb are OHKO'd by a +2 aerial ace after spikes and SR. Bulky swords dance scyther is also a threat thanks to its 4x resistance to fighting and grass as well as bug and poison resistances. I know that scyther has many other flaws such as a 4x SR weakness and common weaknesses, but spinning is very easy in RU and proper team support can remedy scyther's weakness. All in all, scyther is a decent pokemon in RU and deserves low B-Rank IMO.

I've been thinking about nominating dusknoir for low C-rank, but nobody will agree with me.

EDIT: Metang should not be on the list. It is unviable in RU and some noobs might thing its usable because it is on the list. It doesn't even get enough usage to be ranked under E-Rank. Here are the usage stats showing that metang never gets used.
194 | Metang | 0.11704% | 103 | 0.196% | 95 | 0.221% |

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Removed Metang from E rank, if anyone thinks it should stay in E rank/given a different rank, now's the time to speak up!

EDIT: I'm going to do a full update to the ranks later today, so stay tuned :)

"Pokemon that cannot be moved:
Munchlax in E
Metang in E
Dusknoir in D"

you can't move it. I highly believe it should stay in E

i definetly support Scyther for B rank. I've not been using CB or LO, but rather the bulky eviolite set with max Speed, 248 HP and 8 Atk. Its bulk is absolutely phenomenal, cheerfully tanking moves such as LO Sceptile's HP Rock or Rotom's Thunderbolt

252 SpA Life Orb Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 281-330 (81.92 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Hidden Power Rock vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 276-328 (80.46 - 95.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

seriously wtf is this lol. absolutely incredible, and he in turn OHKOs sceptile without a boost, and has a very good chance to OHKO Rotom-C after a SD. Spinning is easy in RU (and how awesome do Scyther and Kabutops look together on Team Preview :P)

I generally dont use Brick Break on Scyther, I prefer Substitute to avoid status and completely bone Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Alomomola, and thus making him an excellent corebreaker. Max Max Alomomola is easily 2HKOd at +6, and it cant break Scyther's Substitutes.

There are some mons that I would like to add to this list:
- Duosion: With a 125 base atk, this thing hurts a lot. When it holds eviolite, it's quite bulky as well. It also has Recover, and the Magic Guard ability to pretect him from passive Hail dammage. It's actually a Reuniclus without held item. It does however have a major downfall in becoming death fodder if something robs his held item. Therefore, I'd like it to nominate for C-rank.
- Golem: He may seem outclassed by Rhydon, but it does have it's advantages. First of all, it has Sturdy to survive fatal blows. It also has Sucker Punch, making for a decent Priority abuser, something many other Rocks cannot boast. It does have downfalls in having a terrible defensive typing, and Hail hasn't done any favors to him, but it's still good enough for D-rank.

EDIT: I meant Satk on Duosion.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
I can definitely support moving Scyther to low B-Rank. It's pretty destructive and can decimate teams with the offensive sets, but the bulky SD set is great, and sports really good bulk, as Cherub acknowledged. After some SD boosts, which is easy with the bulk Scyther sports, and can put some massive dents. Stall teams are taken down rather easily, besides Steelix, and Scyther has good potential to sweep once Steels and the mighty Rhydon are gone. As with Moltres, Scyther has great synergy with the premier spinner in the tier; Kabutops, and spinning is relatively easy to pull off and thus the SR weakness hardly matters. Scyther for low B-Rank!

Golem is horribly outclassed and should not be ranked at all. Duosion, on the other hand, is good in hail and should definitely have a place.

Anyways, as of now I honestly think Dusknoir should be moved to E-Rank--Honestly, I think it's just that bad. Dusknoir is so fucking weak and is even worse in this tier than Dusclops is in UU; okay, sure, it has 100 Attack, but it has weak moves, no good STAB, and it only has room to run two coverage moves. Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split are non-negotiable, and you need Fire Punch and Earthquake if you do anything. Dusknoir has low HP and is 2HKO'd by most strong attackers in the tier. Dusknoir is, as a result, completely outclassed offensively by Golurk and Rotom, who have more power and greater coverage. Defensively, Spiritomb is better because of no weaknesses, and so is Misdreavus, who is bulkier, stronger, and faster. Dusknoir has nothing over any of these Pokemon. Not only that, Dusknoir is ineffective at what it wants to do, spinblocking, because it sits there and dies quickly. Dusknoir is pretty awful, and I honestly think it's just as bad as, if not worse, than Munchlax.

(also, put a lock on Dusknoir so it can't budge out of E-Rank)

Anyways, as of now I honestly think Dusknoir should be moved to E-Rank--Honestly, I think it's just that bad. Dusknoir is so fucking weak and is even worse in this tier than Dusclops is in UU; okay, sure, it has 100 Attack, but it has weak moves, no good STAB, and it only has room to run two coverage moves. Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split are non-negotiable, and you need Fire Punch and Earthquake if you do anything. Dusknoir has low HP and is 2HKO'd by most strong attackers in the tier. Dusknoir is, as a result, completely outclassed offensively by Golurk and Rotom, who have more power and greater coverage. Defensively, Spiritomb is better because of no weaknesses, and so is Misdreavus, who is bulkier, stronger, and faster. Dusknoir has nothing over any of these Pokemon. Not only that, Dusknoir is ineffective at what it wants to do, spinblocking, because it sits there and dies quickly. Dusknoir is pretty awful, and I honestly think it's just as bad as, if not worse, than Munchlax.
Disagree with this for a few reasons.

Dusknoir is the most physically bulky Ghost in RU, even if by a small marigin. Its probably the only one that stands a chance against both Kabutops and Cryogonal, as most are specified to blocking one of them. Even if it usually loses to Kabutops, its not like any of the other Ghosts can actually defeat it. For example, Golurk gets OHKOed by both (its not a spinblocker as much as a tank but w/e). It has a good (not great) bulk, Fire Punch, and Will-O-Wisp makes it a good check to Fighting-types and Escavalier. Unlike the others it can actually hurt Escavalier (I guess Golurk can too). Its also a lot bulkier than Spiritomb, and Spiritomb having no weaknesses is pretty irrelavent because it has only one resistance anyway. Its probably the only Ghost to do both, and although its not great at either, it has that going for it. Along with the fact Dusknoir is locked into D as it is, it doesn't deserve to be with Munchlax - while it slowly dies it can do a few disruptive things to the opponent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)