Challenge The Sample Team Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Sample Team Challenge! The aim of the thread is to get a bunch of cool sample teams while being competitive about it! The best teams will be voted on at the end of the month. The rules:

1. Post a team of six Pokemon, preferably fully-evolved. These Pokemon should be available to get in-game (no trade-evolutions). If a mon is version-exclusive, give a substitute.
2. If there is a theme, follow it (not yet).
3. Specify the game your team is for-XY or Oras.
4. You can post any amount of teams a month.
5. Each team must include a starter from that game.
6. Each team must include Pokemon with cut, surf, rock smash, fly and strength (and dive, secret power for Oras).
7. False swipe, Sweet scent and mega evolution are good but not necessary.
8. All Pokemon with HMs must be able to be caught by the time you are able to use said HM.
9. Imagine that all forms of trading mons not catchable before where you are in the game cease to exist.
10. No hidden abilities or egg moves.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Dual False Swipe Swampert Team for Oras

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Strength

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- False Swipe
- Thunder Wave

Breloom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Effect Spore
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- False Swipe
- Cut
- Leech Seed

Pelipper
Ability: Keen Eye
Relaxed Nature
- Fly
- Surf
- Thief
- Roost

Wailord @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Relaxed Nature
- Rock Smash
- Dive
- Water Spout
- Growl

Vileplume @ Expert Belt
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Sweet Scent
- Secret Power
- Leech Seed
- Petal Blizzard

This is a physically-orientated team for those who like widely-appealing, easy-obtainable pokemon. The two false swipers can paralyze and sleep respectively, along with Gallade mega evolving if used over Bert. The HMs are spread among the mons to allow each team member to be swapped out for others if you wish. Leech Seed is there to help keep mons recovered while growl ends wild battles. Rock moves can be used on Swampbert also, but miss out on coverage.

I am a little confused though about how to do an in-game run with this. Would you follow Nuzlocke rules? Make it like a competitive Scramble run?

Just for a normal runthrough. The aim is to create the most efficient team, and in later months do so with a set theme-use x mon, nuzlocke, scramble...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The games are so easy you can practically solo with an overleveled starter. I fail to see the point in trying to make teams more efficient.

Nuzlockes have a randomness factor with catches, making efficiency difficult.

Imagine a Nuzlocke, game where mons have a stricter level limit, etc... ;)

The effieciency will be more important later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sample team is a team you can use from near the start of the game up till the post game. Shroomish is the easiest to get spore-false swiper and using it is efficient on Pokemon with really low catch rates. This is not needed until after most Shroomish turn level 40, so it is efficient. Until then, Gallade thunder wave will be a substitute.

My point is then, if those moves/pokemon aren't needed till late game/ the end, then are they really efficient to use all the way through the game?

False swipe is, and that is the point of my team. It isn't perfect, but I think we've talked about it enough now. This isn't a thread for critique, so from now on, I'm going to stop responding to them. I'll post some more soon.

Just choose from aesthetics, really (they're all UU-ish without HA, excluding Mega Blaziken). The Mudkip line is strong and bulky, but you may initially struggle with speed. Torchic is fast and strong with both attacking stats and is beat competitively, but lack of bulk cripples it in-game. Treeko is kinda a dark horse but I barely use it. Be warned, Swampert and Mega-Sceptile have 4x Weaknesses and Blaziken lacks all-aroung bulk, meaning they can be koed.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I haven't really got much time to do Smogon-stuff at the moment, but I take my time to question the purpose of this thread. If you want "efficient" Pokémon for in-game runs, check out the In-game tier lists threads (we've got at least one for every pair of games). If you want a challenge, you DON'T use efficient Pokémon, since, well, the games are easy enough already that deliberately choosing optimal play functionally shreds every remaining difficulty out of them. If False Swipe is an issue, there's a thing called TM54, which has been given to the players for free in all games post Platinum, which literally dozens of Pokémon can learn. Since TMs now are infinite use, there isn't even an issue of choice and sacrifice any more.

As has been said previously, literally any Pokémon in the game can be used for in-game playthroughs if you are patient enough. To give an example, DHR-107 has a thing for scraping the absolute bottom of the Pokémon roster barrel, and still manages to cruise through the game with the worst bunch of Jokémons available (the likes of Delibird, Wobbuffet and Delcatty). The games are easy enough that anything goes. I don't think any player needs to be shown a sample team to be able to beat the game, especially not those with the means and capacity to find a dedicated Pokémon forum to browse. If you can find this thread, you have the mental capacity to throw together a game-winning team.

If I've understood the opening post correctly, this thread basically boils down to "post your team". Or even "post a team". While such threads aren't strictly against the OI rules, they are frowned upon, as they rarely sow the seeds for good discussion (which is what we're striving to achieve), and it overlaps a little with the "in-game tier lists" threads, so I'm afraid you have to give us a compelling reason to keep it open. And personally, I wonder what the "challenge" bit is supposed to mean.

P.S.: Please don't double post.

EDIT: Some other mod closed the thread after I made this post, but I'd like for it to stay open at least until I can get a reply. Then we may or may not close it again.

Last edited:
I haven't really got much time to do Smogon-stuff at the moment, but I take my time to question the purpose of this thread. If you want "efficient" Pokémon for in-game runs, check out the In-game tier lists threads (we've got at least one for every pair of games). If you want a challenge, you DON'T use efficient Pokémon, since, well, the games are easy enough already that deliberately choosing optimal play functionally shreds every remaining difficulty out of them. If False Swipe is an issue, there's a thing called TM54, which has been given to the players for free in all games post Platinum, which literally dozens of Pokémon can learn. Since TMs now are infinite use, there isn't even an issue of choice and sacrifice any more.

As has been said previously, literally any Pokémon in the game can be used for in-game playthroughs if you are patient enough. To give an example, DHR-107 has a thing for scraping the absolute bottom of the Pokémon roster barrel, and still manages to cruise through the game with the worst bunch of Jokémons available (the likes of Delibird, Wobbuffet and Delcatty). The games are easy enough that anything goes. I don't think any player needs to be shown a sample team to be able to beat the game, especially not those with the means and capacity to find a dedicated Pokémon forum to browse. If you can find this thread, you have the mental capacity to throw together a game-winning team.

If I've understood the opening post correctly, this thread basically boils down to "post your team". Or even "post a team". While such threads aren't strictly against the OI rules, they are frowned upon, as they rarely sow the seeds for good discussion (which is what we're striving to achieve), and it overlaps a little with the "in-game tier lists" threads, so I'm afraid you have to give us a compelling reason to keep it open. And personally, I wonder what the "challenge" bit is supposed to mean.

P.S.: Please don't double post.

EDIT: Some other mod closed the thread after I made this post, but I'd like for it to stay open at least until I can get a reply. Then we may or may not close it again.
Hi! What you said about this thread being about team posting was true, as it is. This thread is about finding GOOD in-game teams, mainly for newcomers, for now, but every month I was planning on inporting a theme for the teams, to make them harder and more interesting. Said team could be for a certain challenge run, have x pokemon, have mons banned, etc. I, myself, find building and viewing in-game teams interesting, especially with a theme, which is why this thread is here. The teams are not what you must or should do, but inspiration on what you could do. Later on, it will distance itself more from tier lists and embrace discussion about teams (but constructive, unlike earlier discussion about mine). As for my example team, it is simply one I thought people who liked easy to catch pokes would like. It is an example and isn't amazing but that is the reason for that. Thanks for reading!

Mate I was being constructive ie letting you know why certain Pokés on your team wouldn't work. You wanted to be obtuse and refuse to see valid points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)