1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Sandbox (Peaked 27th on PO OU)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by CNize, Dec 23, 2012.

1. CNize

CNize

The Sandbox
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to my RMT! This is a fairly good team that I built a while back. After Using it on PO, I got on the 1st page with relative ease. Sit back and I hope you enjoy!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tyranitar
    (F) @ Shed Shell
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    Role on the team:
    Show Hide
    Tyranitar does quite a few things. Most important of which is setting up to sand. Sand Benefits my team in a number of ways. The main purpose of having sand, is to not get wrecked by rain teams. Sand is a fantastic matchup against Rain and also the uprising sun teams that are coming out of retiring. Tyranitar has superpower for one reason. OHKO Terrakion after Stealth Rock damage, and to OHKO opposing Lucario that try to set up SD's or Agility. Pursuit of course traps the opposition's Lati@s and Celebi which is a HUGE pain to deal with. Stone edge as TTars most powerful STAB.

Magnezone
    @ Leftovers
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 20 HP / 252 SAtk / 236 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Magnet Rise
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt
    Role on this team:
    Show Hide
    Do not question the non-standardness of this set. It works. Trust me. This of course traps Steel types that frustrate my dear Garchomp. Trapping Skarmory is a GODSEND for this team, which is hard to deal with, without good prediction or stupidity of the opponent. Now It's much easier to bring down, and I haven't had trouble with it since. I put Magnezone on this team. Main reason of Magnet Rise. I use it on Forrys, Scizors locked into bullet punch, things that cant hurt me. I set up a sub, followed by a magnet rise. Main reason is for Dugtrio. I COULD change it for Flash Cannon to help with that huge ass threat, Sub Roost Kyurem B, or Charge beam for more power, But I like how it works. Suggestions appreciated :]

Garchomp @ Choice Band
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    -? Last slot is questionable. No 4th move is really necessary. I don't want to run F blast and have a different nature. I love his natural bulk and it helps a crap load when dealing with Reuniclus.
    Role on this team:
    Show Hide
    Power. Bulk. Strength.
    Together with Magnezone, Literally everything that doesn't get OHKOed, gets 2HKOed. Real Talk. This Pokemon has so much power behind it, it's ridiculous. This is a fairly standard BandChomp set. The 4th move is under question. I used to run fire fang and I only found myself using it once out of over 100 battles with this team.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Earthquake
    Role on this team:
    Show Hide
    Standard incredible revenge killer. Huge ass threat since the start of Gen 5's Metagame. Not much to say about its presence on my team. It's a sand team. It's a terrakion. It's what terrakion does best. Revenge kill and hit like an absolute monster.

Rotom-W
    @ Leftovers
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 36 SAtk / 220 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    Role on this team:
    Show Hide
    Fantastic pivot switch into SO MANY threats on Hyper Offensive rain teams. Tornadus stands no chance. Thundurus does over half but isn't that common. Politoed does nothing. This is all around a fantastic, Bulky pokemon to have. EV spread isn't the greatest. Any tips are helpful.

Latias
    (F) @ Expert Belt
    [​IMG]
    EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Roost
    Role on this team:
    Show Hide
    Offensive Latias maintains its bulk without investment. This particular Latias absolutely tears apart sun offense, rain offense, and sun stall(Uncommon)
    The reason For my EVs and Item are pretty straight forward. Running HP fire cuts my speed by 1 point, so putting max speed wouldn't help Latias with much. I would rather a smidgen more bulk and outspeed 108s by 1 point. As for EBelt instead of Life Orb, I couldn't stand the residual damage of around 17% taken away from my HP bar after each turn I attack. I am contemplating whether or not I should change it back or if I should leave it as EBelt. An advantage with the Expert belt is that people like to assume things. They like to assume that I'm choiced in some way. It gets me the occasional surprise kill. Leftovers is also an option.

Ending notes:
    Thank you if you've read this far. I used this same team with a Genesect instead of Garchomp and that is how I managed to use it on PO. Once Genesect got banned, I quickly hopped on Showdown, Tried this new team out and it worked pretty darn well. I hope you've enjoyed my RMT and if you have any advice, it would really make my day!
  2. Professor Birch

Professor Birch

Nice team. Surprised nobody commented on this. Two things. 1.For Garchomp, what about using Brick Break for the last move. Helps counter ice and I just love that move. 2. Not sure why you are using Latias as a sweeper when Latios fits that role better? Hope this helped a little!
  3. nygerman

nygerman

I suggest dual chop as it deals with focus sash breloom and multiscale nite
  4. S0L1D G0LD

S0L1D G0LD

you can run jolly with fire blast on garchomp without losing out on anything important.
  5. CNize

CNize

Thanks! I'm gonna try running Brick Break and see how that goes. As for Latios over Latias, I have considered this before, but I really appreciate Latias' better bulk. And the power isn't all that necessary to me, it already OHKOes and 2HKOes the things that give my team trouble.

This was actually a good suggestion. I tried it and it worked great! Thanks, buddy :]

With poor enough special attack, Fire Blast won't be doing much to Skarm and not any more than Fire Fang would to Forretress without running Naive/Hasty.
  6. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

For anyone else looking to post; make sure your rate isn't a one-liner...add some substance to what you're suggesting.
  7. Psycho Cut

Psycho Cut

To me, this team looks like it's pretty much dismantled by Bulk Up Conkeldurr. Latias only does 47.3% - 56% with Psyshock on a 252/0 Conkeldurr after a Bulk Up, after which you'll be OHKO'd by Ice Punch or Payback. The only way I can see you getting past it is sacrificing Latias to do some damage, and then sending in Garchomp to Outrage. It'd take it out, but Garchomp would potentially take a ton of damage from Mach Punch and you'd then be locked onto Outrage, which could be bad news for Garchomp if the opponent also has a Mamoswine or something. Aside from that, Conkeldurr takes out your others with Mach Punch, or Drain Punch in Rotom-W's case.

The best way I can think of resolving this is going Latios > Latias and Psychic > Psyshock You could probably keep Expert Belt if you wanted to. If you're set on Latias, definitely swap out for Psychic, and perhaps go with a Life Orb for the item. With these changes you should be able to deal with Conkeldurr pretty well, just watch out for Pursuit users!
  8. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Hello there,

At first, your team is weak to strong special dragon attacks like Latios' Draco Meteor, for this reason I'd change Tyranitar's EV spread to EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk and I'd use Sassy nature in place of Brave nature. This EV spread allows to take the latwins' attacks better and to trap kill them with Pursuit. Then, Expert Belt is a useless item for Latias in my opinion, it's a wall breaker so it needs more power for this reason, I'd use Life Orb in place of Expert Belt and I'd use this EV spread: EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe. 72 EVs in HP help to tank better Hydro Pumps and other strong attacks, also 72 is a Life Orb recoil number. 252 EVs in Speed allow to outspeed dangerous threats as Keldeo and Terrakion. After, I'd use Charge Beam in place of Magnet Rise on Magnezone, you don't need other immunity to Ground, you have already Latias, Rotom-W and Shed Shell on Tyranitar to avoid Dugtrio's trap, Charge Beam is useful to boost its SAtk and to become a pokèmon difficult to block. Finally, I suggest you to use Aqua Tail on Garchomp in the 4th slot, Crunch seems useless, Fire Blast and Fire Fang too because you have Magnezone to trap kill Skarmory and the other steels, Aqua Tail conversely, is a nice move to use under rain. Just a little thing: you don't have 4 EVs on Terrakion, put them in HP. Hope I helped with this rate, good luck.
  9. High Impulse

High Impulse

Hey CNize! I must say, your team looks VERY solid, and there is not much that really threatens this team which is really good!

Anyway, on to the rate!

So as I said, there really isn't much that this team can't handle or check, but I have found 3 things that seem like they could be annoying and they are: Gastrodon, Deo-D team, and ScarfChomp. Gastrodon can be over powered with Garchomp however nothing on your team can really switch into it, and locking yourself into Outrage to try to kill Gastrodon is...Risky, as the opponent might switch or let Gastrodon die as they take advantage of the fact that you're locked into Outrage. So to fix this, I recommend using RestoChesto Rotom-W with HP grass as it is a really good lure to Gasrtodon; and you can also bluff a choiced set and gain a surprise kill later! and you can also Rest of any status inflicted on you! Also, it fits the more offensive flow of the team more in my opinion.

Deoxys-D team are always annoying to deal with imo, but I have an idea that might just work and that is, CB Scizor > Terrakion, Scizor not only helps with Deo-D team and Gengar which could be problematic, but it also gives you priority and another steel type which your team could use. Now, I realise that you lose your scarfer this way, but you can just use a Scarf Garchomp instead of a banded one. Also, Scizor gives you a switch into ScarfChomps Outrage while you 2HKO with Bullet Punch.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 60 HP / 240 SAtk / 208 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Hydro Pump
    - Rest

[​IMG]
    Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Anyway, as I said, nice team and I hope I helped!
  10. Professor Birch

Professor Birch

I think you should keep Terrakion. Scizor is now so common that most teams can counter it. Also, it falls to others when not using Bullet Punch. Terrakion is very versatile. Especially the moveset you have chosen. It can take just about any threat given to it. Just a suggestion, maybe take some Attack evs and invest into Defense. Terrakion gets the Special Defense boost in the sand anyway. Most people feel it just doesnt make sense with Terrakion but I have done this and it saved Terrakion from quite a few deaths. Hope this helped a little more!
  11. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

Hi There.
    It is a very strong team and very effective, I can't really rate your team because it is correct, but I see that you are disadvantage against Terrakion Bander, and the version of your Latias cannot tank.
    252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Latias: 284-336 (93.42 - 110.52%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO)////
    252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Latias: 267-315 (87.82 - 103.61%) -- 25% chance to OHKO) then even if you put your Terrakion Scarf the opponent can switch, I suggest you to put Landorus-T on Garchomp, Landorus-T bulk may come on Scizor/Terrakion/Dragonite/Salamence/Jirachi without problem because even if you possess Magnezone for trapp Jirachi if it has Uturn you can not do anything because it has body slam + Serene Grace, and then Landorus-T has Intimidate to lower the attack of his opponent.

But I suggest you put Stealth Rock on Landorus-t because I see that you can not do anything against Gengar Sub, it can OHKO Terrakion with Focus Blast under Substitute and he can outspeed Latias, I suggest you put Tyranitar in Choice Scarf he can outspeed Gengar and trapp with Pursuit then this form it can kill Latias, Tios, Starmie, Reuniclus.
    Now that you have a choice of Scarf you can put Terrakion in Bander.

I see Magnezone has Magnet Rise but I do not understand why, if there are substitute, then you can't 2HKO Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippodown, Landorus, this move is useless in this set, I suggest you to put Charge Beam on Magnet Rise, with this move you can increase your Special attack and hurt more then Ferrothorn/Jirachi does not break the substitute, you can increase your special attack without problem then if you have the substitute after you can kill others Pokémons.

Landorus-T
    Show Hide
    Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock

Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Garchomp--->Landorus-T
    Tyranitar --->Scarf>Stall
    Magnezone--->Charge Beam>Magnet Rise

Hope I Helped, and Good Luck with your Team.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)