XY OU The Sands Of Time

THE SANDS OF TIME
“Where is my oasis? Too far from here for me to crawl with these dead legs,
refusing to co-operate, hands and fingers clawing uselessly

through the grains of sand...”
Kiera Woodhull, Chaos of the Mind

Hi there! A little background on me and my team, I've been playing Pokemon competitively for about 5-6 years. I suffered a fallout sometime after Gen IV, and I only started playing again this Gen VI. Hopefully not being able to have played Black or White won't have much of an effect on me in the long run. Out of all the weather conditions, sand has always been my favorite ever since I caught my first shiny, a larvitar, back in HG. Something about slowly burying your opponent in battle gives an exciting yet creepy feel. Even with the nerfs weather did recieve in X and Y, sand teams remain aplenty. Anyways, without further ado, I present my team. I hope you enjoy reading and please feel free to leave any tips and suggestions.
*CHANGES IN BOLD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYRANITAR

@ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk or Def / 104 SpA
Brave
Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Ah yes Tyranitar, what's a sand team without a sand-streamer? I found that Tyranitar's versatility and power were more fitting for my team compared to a Hippowdon. Plus, who can say no to the face of an adorable Larvitar baby?!?

LOOK AT HIM OMG SO CUTE I COULD DIE-Ehem. Sorry about that, anyways, I chose that specific moveset and EV spread to give it as much surprise power as I could. Tanky special Ttar is so much better than suicidal special Ttar, and with Smooth Rock sand stays up much longer, enabling Excadrill to rush through the sand to his heart's content. The moves were for taking down threats like Garchomp, Scizor, and Dragonite or walls like Scizor and Ferrothorn while the Focus Sash is just for bulk helps in securing a stealth rock early in the match.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LANDORUS-THERIAN

(M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Look at this badass mofo, he's like if Genie from Aladdin had a secret magic baby with Jasmine's tiger. Intimidate is right because I am genuinely shaking in my tiny boots right now. Jokes aside, Landorus-T has to be one of my favorite scouters and revenge killers in the metagame, he has a monstrous attack stat and is in a very nice speed tier in 91. His ev distribution and moves are common for a scarfed physical attacker. He synergizes great with Rotom-W, Mega-Scizor, and Excadrill and forms a nice VoltTurn core with Rotom-W. This tiger-genie-marshmallow sandbeast is definitely one of my favorites.

LATIAS

(F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Defog

Everyone's favorite red jet pokemon thingy! The newest addition to my team but not one I will be changing any time soon. She's the team's defogger and martyr with Healing Wish, gladly sacrificing her life for the greater good (otherwise known as my OU rating :p). She and MScizor are best friends with both of them taking care of each other's weaknesses. She also starred in my favorite pokemon movie of all time, "Pokemon Heroes", second only to the first Pokemon Movie where I still cry over the scene where Ash is turned into a museum piece. I still imagine flying through the sky on Latias' back soaring through Hoenn...

OH RIGHT ORAS IS ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY FARK YEAH

ROTOM-WASH

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

If I were to pick just one pokemon to bring into the real world, it'd be Rotom. He could do my laundry, fan me when it's hot, cook my food, chill my sodas, AND CUT UP MY ENEMIES IN A FLURRY OF BLOOD AND LEAVES! Competitively however, Rotom-W is imo the best out of all his forms formes states. Water/Electric is spectacular typing, and with Levitate, leaves him weak only to Grass type moves. He has above average defenses enabling him to take more than a few hits when Defense or Special Defense are invested in, the former especially with Will-O-Wisp. I replaced his old resto-chesto set for a Pain Split one since usually his Chesto Berry is Knocked Off before I get to use it, so far it has been a more reliable recovery method and Pain Split really is fun to use. I like to think of him as an oasis in the desert, that then shoots jets of soapy water into your dry sandy face.

EXCADRILL

@ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

What's so good about sand if there's no-one to abuse it? Actually, I was debating on who I should give this slot to, since Mega Garchomp is also great in the sand, though after falling in love with Scizor's Mega Evolution I decided to give it to old Drilly over here. Sand Rush is a heavenly ability, doubling Excadrill's average speed turning him into an unstoppable mole of destruction. He also helps out Latias in getting rid of pesky spikes, rocks, and webs scattered around the field. As suggested, I've replaced Rapid Spin with Swords Dance which actually functions better than Rapid Spin in this set as Latias can typically handle any hazards herself. Latias also helps gets rid of Exca's checks and counters, such as Keldeo, opposing Landorus-T, and

His great attack stat coupled with ground, steel, and rock coverage leaves few unscathed after this 'mon is released into the battle. Plus, that metal spike on his head is radical, like if Wolverine was an emo kid who had adamantium hair to go with his claws.

MEGA SCIZOR

@ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

The (Mega) star of the show. Scizor, along with Tyranitar, has been part of my team since I started competitive battling. Being somewhat of a bug enthusiast as a child, and with my favorite color being red, Scizor immediately became one of my favorite pokemon. I usually send him out first if I predict I can get in a Swords Dance safely or around midgame when all his threats and counters have been eradicated. A STAB and Technician boosted Bullet Punch is nothing to scoff at, and after a boost or two, only pokemon 4x resistant to steel like Heatran or dedicated physical walls that can stomach such an attack.
My best moment with old Scizor was with battling another Scizor, at the time I named mine Scizorhands, and he named his Edward. Ah puns, good times, good times.

Well, that's my team. I hope you liked reading and feel free to leave suggestions and comments below. I would be happy to learn how to improve my team and become a better battler and team builder.

:heart:
P.S Credits to the awesome people who made all these cool gifs and pics I used and to the suggestions so far!

Replay/s:
- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-180018639 (close as heck match, thankful for Excadrill's Sand Rush but bad risk taking on my part with Latios and Scizor)

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
You have a rapid spinner and a defoger on the same team why. Your Stealth rocker could be landorous-t. And if you want excadrill on your team air balloon is a better option.

Hey, this team is pretty cool! I have a few suggestions:
  • On Excadrill, I would look into possibly switching Rapid Spin with X-Scissor. Although you're good with a back-up hazard remover, Excadrill can benefit you in hitting Pokemon like the Latis, since you don't have Mold Breaker.
  • I'm curious as to why you chose Fire Blast and Ice Beam over Fire Punch and Ice Punch. Tyranitar benefits more from a physical attacking set off that 134 base attack, whereas that 95 base special attack isn't so stellar. If you choose to forego the former moves, make sure that you change your EV spread to 252 Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Speed. Don't use this lol Redevil360 pointed out my mistake :)
  • As a quick tip, make sure to have 0 Attack IVs on all of the Pokemon that don't use their attack stat (Rotom-W, Latias, and Tyranitar if you're keeping the special set). This will reduce damage from moves like Foul Play and confusion damage.
Good luck on your team! =)

Last edited:
Heyyy, nice team ya got there. Let's see if I can improve it.

First of all, I would improve your t-tar.
I would run this:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit/ Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

This spread is chosen to be bulkier, and act as a tank; max speed really isn't required. The EVs are chosen so that Ice Beam always OHKOes max HP Lando-T after stealth rocks - Tyranitar's bulk allows it to live an Earthquake from a max attack Adamant Lando-T and retaliate with Ice Beam. I slashed pursuit along with fire blast, as we can hit the lati@s and band-locked talonflames, now that were bulkier. It all comes down to team match-up, I guess. No offense to the guy Lunistrius above me, but it's obvious that ice beam and fire blast are run to hit the weaker spdef side of things like ferro, skarm and lando-t.

Next, I will alter your Rotom-w spread a little bit; a very improtant change however. Use this spread instead:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

The 44 speed is crucial to out speed max speed jolly azumarill, and burn it. Azu is always a huge problem for sand teams, so this change should be useful. I find painsplit more useful over resto-chesto, but that's up to you.

Next is excadrill. You don't need a defogger and spinner. From experience, I've found defog lati and SD exca to be really good on sand teams. SD helps to put massive pressure when in sand; as he forces multiple switches; especially into things like Land-t to get the intimidate.

Also, make sure you have an odd hp for all pokes, as well as 0 ATT IVs for pokes using only special attacks.
So, move that 4 hp on exca to DEF.

I also like the idea of having a mega 'zor as a late game clean up, but, once again, I think your EVs could be improved. I personally run this spread.

Scizor (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

There is enough speed to out speed non- max speed heatrans and magnezones, whilst max attack for power. The defense EVs to help you set up better against physical things, especially lando-t, as EQ should do too much. Superpower is to hit heatran if there not max speed, or just catCH them on the switch ( same for magnezone) Bug bite is for powerful STAB, and is especially good against things like Slowbro, which walls excadrill.

Finally, I don't particularly like Scarf lando-t on this team; perhaps try a scarf keldeo instead? It might help against opposing scarf landos, since most keldeos run specs ATM. TBH, revenge killing with scarfs isn't usually an issue when you have sand rush drill.

Well, that's all I have for now.
It's a pretty good team ya have.
Hope I helped, and good luck battling.
:)

Thanks for all the replies! I have to agree with a lot of what you guys said so far. I've changed a few of the crew up a bit.

You have a rapid spinner and a defoger on the same team why. Your Stealth rocker could be landorous-t. And if you want excadrill on your team air balloon is a better option.
Next is excadrill. You don't need a defogger and spinner. From experience, I've found defog lati and SD exca to be really good on sand teams. SD helps to put massive pressure when in sand; as he forces multiple switches; especially into things like Land-t to get the intimidate.
Hey, this team is pretty cool! I have a few suggestions:
  • On Excadrill, I would look into possibly switching Rapid Spin with X-Scissor. Although you're good with a back-up hazard remover, Excadrill can benefit you in hitting Pokemon like the Latis, since you don't have Mold Breaker.
Exca's Rapid Spin has been replaced with Swords Dance, I used to have swords dance on it in the Rapid Spin slot but replaced it back when my team didn't have a defogger in Latias yet. As for Air Balloon, I find that I'd rather have a Life Orb to help take down opponents rather than a single-use item that could backfire if I predicted an Earthquake/Power incorrectly.

First of all, I would improve your t-tar.
I would run this:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit/ Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Next, I will alter your Rotom-w spread a little bit; a very improtant change however. Use this spread instead:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

I also like the idea of having a mega 'zor as a late game clean up, but, once again, I think your EVs could be improved. I personally run this spread.

Scizor (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Finally, I don't particularly like Scarf lando-t on this team; perhaps try a scarf keldeo instead? It might help against opposing scarf landos, since most keldeos run specs ATM. TBH, revenge killing with scarfs isn't usually an issue when you have sand rush drill.
:)
I've actually really wanted to try out a tanky Lead Ttar for a while but haven't found a set I liked yet, though this set might be a good fit :D Rotom-W's resto-chesto set is mainly to help take a status-inducing move like Toxic or Burn and Rest it off, I also find that Rotom-W doesn't really need to outspeed that many mons so I didn't bother investing in that. I personally don't find Azu as a huge problem in my battles so far, as Rotom-W + Scizor usually handles him easily. I'll keep the spread in mind though! Also I really like your Scizor set, I might tweak mine around this and test it out. Slowbro and Heatran both really are a pain in the ass neck to deal with so I'll probably replace Roost or Knockoff with a coverage move. Keldeo was also one of the pokemon I wanted for my team, but I felt that Landorus-T was a better fit, I'll test one out and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Hey man great sandstorm team! I like the idea of a offensive teams, however i have a issue with your T-tar set. don't run naive nature on T-Tar, it losses its sp def and the sand really helps it tank special hits

Tyranitar @ Leftovers/smooth rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Crunch/Pursuit
- Ice Beam/Earthquake

This Set allows T-tar to become more of a mixed wall thanks to sandstream and helps T-Tar excadrill become more of a balanced core and will help to synergise better with each other, allowing tyranitar to survive longer through the game. therefore more chances to set up sand, therefore making it more beneficial to your team, So I suggest trying that out, since you wanted a tank t-tar set, also take redevils points above, they are great. I won't go over them again since they've been mentioned. but you should use either of those 2 t-tar sets, either mine or redevils. the second EV spread will allow you to nail ferrothorn for more damage and 1hko Lando-T like mentioned. I hope this helps you :]

Hey man great sandstorm team! I like the idea of a offensive teams, however i have a issue with your T-tar set. don't run naive nature on T-Tar, it losses its sp def and the sand really helps it tank special hits

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Crunch/Pursuit
- Ice Beam/Earthquake

This Set allows T-tar to become more of a mixed wall thanks to sandstream and helps T-Tar excadrill become more of a balanced core and will help to synergise better with each other, allowing tyranitar to survive longer through the game. therefore more chances to set up sand, therefore making it more beneficial to your team, So I suggest trying that out, since you wanted a tank t-tar set, also take redevils points above, they are great. I won't go over them again since they've been mentioned. but you should use either of those 2 t-tar sets, either mine or redevils. the second EV spread will allow you to nail ferrothorn for more damage and 1hko Lando-T like mentioned. I hope this helps you :]
I agree with cranham about the t-tar and Lunistrius' changes, I will be back with a better review when I have time but you probably should make these changes.

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Crunch/Pursuit
- Ice Beam/Earthquake

Thanks Cranham! I've been trying out bulkier Ttars and I have to admit that it's a BIG improvement to my team. Still trying to find the set most suited for my team but the one you posted is definitely worth a shot. Will try that variant out soon.

You say that Smooth Rock is your item in your description of Ttar, yet Focus Sash has not been changed to Smooth Rock (CTRL F + Focus Sash)

Scizor would do better with a different EV spread so it can handle Mega Gardevoir, 248 HP / 44 Atk / 8 Def / 208 SDef Adamant allows you to take two Focus Blasts from it after Stealth Rock, since you can not always rely on Excadrill to take it out. Redevil360's suggestion on Rotom-W is a good idea, you should probably implement that as well.

Aside from that, I do not find too many issues with this team.

You say that Smooth Rock is your item in your description of Ttar, yet Focus Sash has not been changed to Smooth Rock (CTRL F + Focus Sash)

Scizor would do better with a different EV spread so it can handle Mega Gardevoir, 248 HP / 44 Atk / 8 Def / 208 SDef Adamant allows you to take two Focus Blasts from it after Stealth Rock, since you can not always rely on Excadrill to take it out. Redevil360's suggestion on Rotom-W is a good idea, you should probably implement that as well.

Aside from that, I do not find too many issues with this team.
Oopsie, didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out, will edit it right away. I'll test out that bulkier Scizor, seems my EV's would do better somewhere else other than Atk as you said. Will also try Pain Split on Rotom again since I find too many mon's knocking off his berry before he can use it :I

Pretty standard sand, not too much to comment on.

I run Crunch on my support TTar because it allows you to hit the Latis harder than Stone Edge without the miss chance and you also have something SE against Slowbro which is nice. I disagree with the suggestions of Pursuit because if TTar tries to Pursuit trap the Latis or its other Pursuit targets it doesn't stay alive long enough to continually setup sand, its main job. Without Superpower on Landorus-T you can lose to well played Gyarados since otherwise you have to force them to Mega evolve with Rotom-W and then try and hope they've been weakened enough to KO them with Excadrill. Knock Off has never been that essential IMO. Finally, the Mega Scizor spread could definitely be better, I go with 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe to survive two defensive Lando-Ts EQs after SR but there's other options.

Nice team.

Cynara

Banned deucer.

I run Crunch on my support TTar because it allows you to hit the Latis harder than Stone Edge without the miss chance and you also have something SE against Slowbro which is nice. I disagree with the suggestions of Pursuit because if TTar tries to Pursuit trap the Latis or its other Pursuit targets it doesn't stay alive long enough to continually setup sand, its main job. Without Superpower on Landorus-T you can lose to well played Gyarados since otherwise you have to force them to Mega evolve with Rotom-W and then try and hope they've been weakened enough to KO them with Excadrill. Knock Off has never been that essential IMO. Finally, the Mega Scizor spread could definitely be better, I go with 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe to survive two defensive Lando-Ts EQs after SR but there's other options.

Nice team.
Yeah I agree, run Crunch over Pursuit, I just thought it would be viable enough to slash as it has niches, but Crunch is the superior option. but Yeah Raedwulf I would definatly run this scizor set over the suggested ones. As it would allow you to outspeed Almost all heatran sets that isn't running max speed either, while creeping 136 speed mega-scizor.

Nice team.
Yeah I agree, run Crunch over Pursuit, I just thought it would be viable enough to slash as it has niches, but Crunch is the superior option. but Yeah Raedwulf I would definatly run this scizor set over the suggested ones. As it would allow you to outspeed Almost all heatran sets that isn't running max speed either, while creeping 136 speed mega-scizor.
Thanks for the suggestions! I agree with replacing Stone Edge with Crunch, since Dark is a better at coverage than Rock, and I never really liked Pursuit so Crunch it is. Slowbro really is a problem for my team when Rotom isn't enough to deal with him. So is Gyarados, so I'll probably do take your advice on Lando. Also I've been testing out different EV spreads for Scizor and I found that investment in speed is really needed at times, so your ev spread is pretty much what I've been looking for, thanks a whole bunch! :D

ZardX has a field day with the team with only Lando-T to check it through out the match....maybe an actaul bulky water like Slowbro/Quagsire>Rotom-W ; and why is Tar Focus Sash? SS is your best chance of RK'ing ZardX and other fast threats! Turn Tar into Smooth Rock I think or even chople berry because stuff like HP:fire MixGar with Focus Blast/HP:fire Latias is a bit trouble some,because you literally have only one switch in which can be easily exploited; you don't particualarly need a suicide lead Keep LandoT as scarf you need speed on this team. But if it happens to 252/252+ Jolly ZardX you auto lose :/. I would suggest AVest Tar actually if you didn't have no other SR setter!@ A suggestion for Latias would be Roost/HP:fighting> Healing Wish, becuase Bisharp @=2 is something your team cannot face. There is a btter EV spread with iirc 144 Def/100 Sp.Def used to take Excadrill's earthquakes? Lets you set up in his face I'd think? get rid of Superpower on Scizor and go with Roost becuase you want a late game win condition; U-Turn.> Bug Bite to pivot out of troublesome Magnezone trappoing attempts

ZardX has a field day with the team with only Lando-T to check it through out the match....maybe an actaul bulky water like Slowbro/Quagsire>Rotom-W ; and why is Tar Focus Sash? SS is your best chance of RK'ing ZardX and other fast threats! Turn Tar into Smooth Rock I think or even chople berry because stuff like HP:fire MixGar with Focus Blast/HP:fire Latias is a bit trouble some,because you literally have only one switch in which can be easily exploited; you don't particualarly need a suicide lead Keep LandoT as scarf you need speed on this team. But if it happens to 252/252+ Jolly ZardX you auto lose :/. I would suggest AVest Tar actually if you didn't have no other SR setter!@ A suggestion for Latias would be Roost/HP:fighting> Healing Wish, becuase Bisharp @=2 is something your team cannot face. There is a btter EV spread with iirc 144 Def/100 Sp.Def used to take Excadrill's earthquakes? Lets you set up in his face I'd think? get rid of Superpower on Scizor and go with Roost becuase you want a late game win condition; U-Turn.> Bug Bite to pivot out of troublesome Magnezone trappoing attempts
I think both Tyranitar and Lando can handle ZardX (If he doesn't KO Ttar with EQ of course). I don't think I wanna disband the VoltTurn core of Rotom and Lando, but I'll keep that in consideration. Also I've changed Tyranitar's item to Smooth Rock already, and yes AVest Tar is a good option if Lando was my stealth rocker instead. Healing Wish has saved me more than a couple of times, and a Bisharp would easily Sucker Punch or Knock Off Latias if the opponent predicted right, though if he set up a Swords Dance on a predicted switch out I guess HP Fighting would be really advantageous. I like Superpower on Scizor because he won't need to switch/U-Turn out anymore on a Heatran or Magnezone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)