~The Sands That Can't Be Tamed~

Chespin The Knight

Banned deucer.
Hello Smogon forums! This is my very first RMT and only my second post =P. But, I am very excited to share with you my OU Sand Team I created! This team's play style is mainly Semi-Stall with powerful wallbreakers to help cover what the stallers cannot. I made this team because I wanted it to feature one of my all time favorite Pokemon, Gliscor. I never really got a chance to play with it because I mainly play the lower tiers like RU and NU. And so I decided to build up this team! And I made it while listening to Can't be Tamed, and I figured I would nickname each of them according to the song haha. I kinda have an odd obsession with Miley Cyrus lol. Well, enough of the intro, on to the team!

Lil' Jon (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar is my lead and also my weather-setter. I mainly use Tyranitar to counter rain/sun teams so they don't have their Chlorophyll/Rain Dish and stuff that each get benefits from. The reason I use Tyranitar over Hippowdon is because 1) I don't like Hippowdon, 2) Tyranitar looks like a badass. Stealth Rock is a necessity on any Stall team at all. Pursuit/Crunch works wonders, it catches so many Psychic-Types of guard! It works phenomenal to counter Latias, a major threat to most teams, including this one. Fire Blast is mainly filler and is used over Stone Edge because it roasts (pun intended) Scizor/Ferrothorn/Forretress. The EV's give Tyranitar Massive Bulk, just to prove it I have done calcs with this Tyranitar and the most powerful attack out there (no, not Shuckle lol) : 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 220-261 (54.45 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. See that bulk, not even near a OHKO. Not that Kyurem-W would ever actually face Tyranitar is it is Ubers, but still. If it can take that, imagine what it can take in just regular OU.

Can't Be Tamed (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 SAtk/ 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Not a Fake (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Latios is the King of OU hands down. Most would argue that Scizor is, but it too is OHKO'ed by this beast. Latios gets an amazing movepool to fit it's role: Special Sweeper. This set is important to me so I do not get swept by Shell Smash Cloyster. Scarfed Latios, or anything that has a 110+ Speed can outspeed +2 Cloyster with Scarf. Draco Meteor hits like a truck, and most fall victim to the raw power. None are safe either, anyone with Sash hoping to survive gets broken by sand or SR. Psyshock is mandatory to murder Blissey, while Surf and HP [Fire] round off Latios' coverage.

Not a Mistake (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

Good ol' Specially Defensive Heatran. This beast is the glue for my team. It perfectly counters Volcarona, Ninetales, Earth Power-less Celebi, and Kyurem-B. Heatran and Gliscor go together like PB & J imo. It can handle all the Ice-Types with the exception of Mamoswine, and in return, Gliscor can take care of the Ground-Types that plague Heatran. Not much else to say, it is a pretty standard Heatran set. It does go nicely to troll BP Teams.

Miley (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Sp. Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Psychic

Celebi is the supreme counter to Politoed. Politoed, being a threat to my team, can't even touch Celebi. Ice Beam is pitiful, and the damage caused can be restored with Giga Drain, meanwhile, I can cripple Poli with T-Wave. Heal Bell is the main reason I picked Celebi over Politoed's main counter, Ferrothorn. Heal Bell just keeps my team healthy, and prevents Latios from being Paralyzed and Crippled. Giga Drain is a nice STAB move that provides reliable recovery. Thunder Wave also helps Tyranitar out because of how slow it is. Recover is a great move to restore health and keep Celebi alive. Overall, it is my Cleric.

Politoed is listed here for the fact it can take away my precious sand.

Same deal as Politoed, but even more annoying because of the Chlorophyll sweepers.

This thing is horrible to deal with. Regenerator means it will take nothing from SR, it cannot be Poisoned, and it has Spore. It completely owns my team.

Starmie is bad for the fact it has access to BoltBeam+Surf, and Rapid Spin to top it all off. It can sweep me if my Magnezone has been removed before it comes in.

Sableye just makes me want asdfghjkl into the keyboard. It can Taunt so I can't set up or Toxic it, and then can cripple Tyranitar with Will-o-Wisp.

Conkeldurr, while not so common (in my experience at least), can destroy this team. If carrying Guts, it is pretty much guaranteed to own my tram.
/

Since I don't have any Fighting-Types on my team, these things can wall me to hell and back.

Mamoswine utterly r@pes my team. It isn't even possible for me to stop it :/ COunter for it would be much appreciated

Lil' Jon (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Can't Be Tamed (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost

DNA (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 80 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Not a Fake (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Not a Mistake (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

Miley (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave

Can't Be Tamed (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost

Gliscor is just so Kawaii ;~;. Ok, enough fanboying over Gliscor and onto the description! Gliscor is my PokeBro for life, and I had never really made an OU team that was serious, so I decided to make one with Gliscor being the star! It has such an amazing defense, and great abilities and the movepool to co-inside with it! It does a phenomenal job of spreading Poison and stalling them out slowly. After just one turn of switching into Gliscor, most Pokemon will be taking a minimum of 18% added up from SR, Toxic, and Sand. That adds up FAST, plus the toxic getting worse each turn makes it even harder for the opponent to stay alive! I use Roost over Protect for the fact that Roost will increase the longevity of Gliscor by a lot. Earthquake is just filler and will add just a tad more damage, and also get nice hits on the many Steel-Types that can't be hit by Toxic.

DNA (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 80 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Tysm in advance for all your help/suggestions! =) ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Chespin, first off I just wanna say cool team. It has pretty nice synergy, and I generally really like defensive teams.

Have you ever considered Landorus-T over Gliscor? Landorus-T is a much better switch in to things like Banded Dragonite and Conkeldurr, as factoring Intimidate, it's much bulkier on the physical side. It can then proceed to hit Dragonite with HP ice, while Conkeldurr is much easier to deal with at -1. Here's the set.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So, lemme explain the EVs. You want a much physical bulk as possible to easily tank Outrage's from Dragon types like Garchomp and Dragonite, easing the pressure off the rest of your team mates. Relaxed Nature is used since you're using both Special and Physical attacks on this set. Stealth Rock is listed since there isn't much point in running anything else on Landorus-T (and this frees up a move slot on Tyranitar), while U turn gains momentum for your team, allowing you to easily trap Steel types like Skarmory and Forretress that love to switch into Landorus-T. Earthquake is STAB and hits things like Tyranitar and Terrakion nicely, while HP Ice offers coverage in hitting Flying types, mainly Salamence and Dragonite.

I'm not too sure that I like that Celebi set. I don't think your team abuses Thunder Wave enough for it to earn a move slot on your Celebi. I much prefer this set here.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain / Thunder Wave
- Psychic / Thunder Wave
- Recover

So this Celebi works great with Landorus-T, as together they form a lovely "Volt turn" core, allowing you to easily gain momentum. Baton Pass is used over U-turn, because this allows you to escape Pursuit from Scizor and Tyranitar. The speed EVs are used to out speed banded Tyranitar and most Scizor, allowing you to easily Baton Pass. Baton Pass also gains you a lot of momentum against Politoed, as you can Baton Pass into Tyranitar as they switch, keeping sand up all the time. Giga Drain is STAB and keeps water types like Politoed and Gastrodon at bay, while Psychic I believe is needed to hit Breloom and other Fighting types. You can run a support move here like Thunder Wave if you really wish however. Finally, Recover is used to keep Celebi around for the majority of the match.

Have you ever considered Rotom-W over Magnezone? I mean it doesn't seem like you have much trouble with Steel types, since you have Landorus-T and Heatran. Rotom-W provides a nice check to Starmie and Mamoswine, which you were having trouble with. Rotom-W also supports the Volt turn core, and fits amazingly into your team.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

So this is the SpDef set, allowing you to easily come in on Mamoswine and Starmie. Rest is used as semi realbie recovoery, while Volt Switch gains momentum and adds to the Volt turn core like I previously mentioned. Hydro Pump is STAB and allows you to beat common switch ins to Landorus-T and Celebi, like Infernape, Heatran, and other Landorus-T. EVs are used to allow Hydro Pump to OHKO Gliscor at full health, the rest are dumped into SpDef, allowing you to tank a few special attacks. Will-O-Wisp cripples switch in's nicely.

Nice team man, I hope my suggestions helped you.

Last edited:

Chespin The Knight

Banned deucer.
Thank you ^-^ I will test them out! What move should I consider over Stealth Rock on Tyranitar? Also, I personally run Sub BU Lando, is that set ok too? Also, btw, I was wondering if it would be possible to Not switch out Gliscor, I love it and it is why I made this team.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Erm, I've never heard of a Sub BU Landorus-T before, but if you want a sweeping set you could go with a Double boosting set

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

EV's live two Stone Edges from Scarf Terrakion and outspeed base 70's before a boost. The rest is dumped into attack. However, if you're having success with Sub BU Landorus-T, you can go with that, I just feel it's inferior to both options I listed (it's your team, do whatever you want).

However, if you want Landorus-T to set up SR, I suggest replacing SR on Tyranitar with Ice Beam, to nail common switch ins like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp.
Super Power isn't a bad option either to nail opposing Tyranitar and Terrakion on the switch. Good luck.

Chespin The Knight

Banned deucer.
Erm, I've never heard of a Sub BU Landorus-T before, but if you want a sweeping set you could go with a Double boosting set

EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

EV's live two Stone Edges from Scarf Terrakion and outspeed base 70's before a boost. The rest is dumped into attack. However, if you're having success with Sub BU Landorus-T, you can go with that, I just feel it's inferior to both options I listed (it's your team, do whatever you want).

However, if you want Landorus-T to set up SR, I suggest replacing SR on Tyranitar with Ice Beam, to nail common switch ins like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp.
Super Power isn't a bad option either to nail opposing Tyranitar and Terrakion on the switch. Good luck.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Bulk Up

it is very easy to set up, and near inpenetrable on the Physical side.

Nice team there, and sorry for my rudeness on frost's server. I was just kinda tired, and had been locked from talking because of advertising two days prior.

Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I use Sand Teams often, and I really don't like wasting Tyranitar's titanic Attack stat on Stealth Rock or Special Moves. Besides, there are plenty of Pokémon that can set up Rocks better than Tyranitar, Hippowdon among them!

At first, I didn't understand why Latios was there, but then I realized that he and Magnezone have great synergy. Keep those two.

For your Starmie issue, you can really just use Gastrodon with Storm Drain. Gastrodon can also use Clear Smog to ruin any sweeping attempts.

Magic Bounce can ruin Sableye.

I don't really see how Conkeldurr can ruin your team. Latios?

I liked your team, and I guess I have to rate it so 8/10 :)

Hey there! I was meaning to rate this earlier today but got a bit busy. Very solid team (I don't know what else to say!) and it's looks pretty good.

First, have you ever thought about using a SubCharge Beam Magnezone? Ive been using it recently and it's so god damn amazing, getting itself around 2-3 kills per game. What it basically does is it comes in on steel types that can't do much to it (Forry, Ferrothorn, Scizor locked into the wrong move) and it uses it as set up fodder for Charge Beam. After a couple of boosts, you'll then kill it off, a d be behind a Sub and continue to dent the opposition. Now you have a weakened team that Latios can freely dismantle. With Draco. Though I will have to agree with Starmie that Rotom wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Magenzeone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull/ Analytic (if you want to be a troll)
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SAtk/ 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

On Latios, if you keep Zone, I think you should run Thunderbolt. With Zone, you have no reason to run HP Fire so it would be nice to have an extra coverage move. Thunderbolt allows you to have an answer against Gyarados, which could destroy your whole entire team under the right conditions and if it has the right coverage. T-Bolt also hits Jellicent, Skarmory in Rain, Vaporeon and Starmie that might give your team a bit of trouble.

That's all I got! Good luck with the team!

B)

Chespin The Knight

Banned deucer.
Hi Chespin, first off I just wanna say cool team. It has pretty nice synergy, and I generally really like defensive teams.

Have you ever considered Landorus-T over Gliscor? Landorus-T is a much better switch in to things like Banded Dragonite and Conkeldurr, as factoring Intimidate, it's much bulkier on the physical side. It can then proceed to hit Dragonite with HP ice, while Conkeldurr is much easier to deal with at -1. Here's the set.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So, lemme explain the EVs. You want a much physical bulk as possible to easily tank Outrage's from Dragon types like Garchomp and Dragonite, easing the pressure off the rest of your team mates. Relaxed Nature is used since you're using both Special and Physical attacks on this set. Stealth Rock is listed since there isn't much point in running anything else on Landorus-T (and this frees up a move slot on Tyranitar), while U turn gains momentum for your team, allowing you to easily trap Steel types like Skarmory and Forretress that love to switch into Landorus-T. Earthquake is STAB and hits things like Tyranitar and Terrakion nicely, while HP Ice offers coverage in hitting Flying types, mainly Salamence and Dragonite.

I'm not too sure that I like that Celebi set. I don't think your team abuses Thunder Wave enough for it to earn a move slot on your Celebi. I much prefer this set here.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain / Thunder Wave
- Psychic / Thunder Wave
- Recover

So this Celebi works great with Landorus-T, as together they form a lovely "Volt turn" core, allowing you to easily gain momentum. Baton Pass is used over U-turn, because this allows you to escape Pursuit from Scizor and Tyranitar. The speed EVs are used to out speed banded Tyranitar and most Scizor, allowing you to easily Baton Pass. Baton Pass also gains you a lot of momentum against Politoed, as you can Baton Pass into Tyranitar as they switch, keeping sand up all the time. Giga Drain is STAB and keeps water types like Politoed and Gastrodon at bay, while Psychic I believe is needed to hit Breloom and other Fighting types. You can run a support move here like Thunder Wave if you really wish however. Finally, Recover is used to keep Celebi around for the majority of the match.

Have you ever considered Rotom-W over Magnezone? I mean it doesn't seem like you have much trouble with Steel types, since you have Landorus-T and Heatran. Rotom-W provides a nice check to Starmie and Mamoswine, which you were having trouble with. Rotom-W also supports the Volt turn core, and fits amazingly into your team.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

So this is the SpDef set, allowing you to easily come in on Mamoswine and Starmie. Rest is used as semi realbie recovoery, while Volt Switch gains momentum and adds to the Volt turn core like I previously mentioned. Hydro Pump is STAB and allows you to beat common switch ins to Landorus-T and Celebi, like Infernape, Heatran, and other Landorus-T. EVs are used to allow Hydro Pump to OHKO Gliscor at full health, the rest are dumped into SpDef, allowing you to tank a few special attacks. Will-O-Wisp cripples switch in's nicely.

Nice team man, I hope my suggestions helped you.

I love the suggestions you made~ I was testing all this out, and I decided to keep the changes you made except for Rotom-Wash. I know it is very good and helps against Mamoswine, but I love the Magnezone set that RoyalBlue provided. Thanks though =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)