1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Scientific Method

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by smileydude689, Nov 11, 2012.

1. smileydude689

smileydude689

Status: Not playing too much because of school, but would really like to have some more rates! :)
    Peaked at 1711 (Pokemon Showdown)

The Scientific Method[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Purpose:
    Hello, fellow Smogonites! I have been a fan of Smogon since I discovered there was competitive Pokemon in Generation IV. I play competitive Pokemon very lightly and just for occasional fun, so I feel that I may not know the metagame front to back, BUT I do feel that I have enough experience to battle intelligently. I have looked at many Smogon analyses and RMTs to get a feel for what each metagame is like. I played standard Black/White OU and NU and enjoyed them both very much. However, B/W 2 recently came out and I decided to stay away from the new metagame because it would be a hectic environment with all the new potential toys to play with. Now that it was somewhat settled down, I decided to give it a try. The purpose of this RMT is to get some advice on what to look out for in this new metagame because I am very new to it (this is my first team). Also, to hopefully make a team that will be successful under any player's hands. Any form of criticism is welcomed!

Oh! And the theme of this team revolves around the Scientific Method because I have been doing so much studying for organic chemistry and biology in college that I can't think of anything but science... I go to the University of Washington, if anyone lives around that area! :)

Research
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Looking at the current RMTs, there has been a clear trend that using Genesect and countering Genesect seems to be centralized in all teams. Therefore, I decided to test out this beast and so far I am very satisfied.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Next, I wanted to find a stealth rock user and found out that there is a very viable and unique lead Terrakion moveset. I did not know about it until this new metagame and I am in love with it's versatility.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I wanted to do a hyper offensive dual dragon and Magnet Pull strategy, so I was thinking Latios (choice specs set) for the special spectrum and Haxorus (double dance set) for the physical spectrum. Also, I almost always had a Magnezone or Magneton in every OU team I created because of the onslaught of steel types.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Then I remember how annoying Reuniclus was against almost every team I had created in B/W 1, so I decided to try it out in the new metagame.
    Before even attempting to test out this team, I noticed that many RMTs paired Genesect with Rotom-W for the Voltturn strategy. Also, I was missing some very vital resistances and STABs that Rotom-W covered. So I took out Latios because Rotom-W with Genesect should be just enough for the special spectrum.

After some playtesting, I started to get a feel for B/W 2. Almost everyone uses Genesect and has a Pokemon used to counter/check Genesect. I started to understand key threats and strategies (although I am still not familiar with everything). I was winning many of my battles (I would say 80%+ or so), which is decent for the first 1300 points on Smogon Showdown. However, I started to notice that Magnezone almost never gets any action and is used as deathfodder half the time. In fact, it becomes a liability for me because electric/fire coverage isn't good enough. So I replaced it with Conkeldurr because it now has ice punch, which is an amazing addition.

I loved Haxorus' double dance set because it was so versatile and destructive when it had the time to set up. However, I noticed that people were using GARCHOMP in OU and I was so happy that it wasn't banned to Ubers anymore. So I needed to try out the king of dragons in the OU metagame again.

Unfortunately, it was then that I discovered that Garchomp does not have dragon dance, which, in my opinion, is almost necessary for any offensive dragons now because of choice-scarfed ice beam from Genesect. So I looked at all dragon dancing dragons who's speed will outspeed Choice-Scarfed Genesect after one dragon dance and found my newest addition, Salamence.

Electrolyte definitely gave me awesome advice. I replaced Reuniclus and Conkeldurr with Latias and Breloom respectively. To be honest, I don't miss either of them too much. These two additions are definitely better synergy- and strategy-wise.

There concludes my thought processes and research on the current OU metagame.​

Hypothesis:
    My hypothesis is: If I wear off my opponent's team enough, then I should be able to sweep with my set-up Pokemon because they will not be able to stop the forward momentum. In other words, my general strategy is to wear down the opponent's team enough for Salamence or Conkeldurr to set-up enough that nothing in the other team can stop it. So it is definitely more offensive than defensive.

Procedure:
    [​IMG]
    IONIC (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Taunt
    Terrakion is my "lead" Pokemon. Although I don't always use him as my lead. I discovered this moveset by looking at a few RMTs and loved the uniqueness of it because in all B/W OU I played, I never saw this set. However, I realized that if it was in a few RMTs, then it must be somewhat popular (yet I haven't seen it so far). The reason I used Terrakion is because he can hit like a mothertrucker with his awesome and unique STABs and massive attack stat. The focus sash is the most amazing thing about this set. It allows 100% set up of stealth rocks on the other team if they have a strong weakness to it. Also, when I am in a corner and stealth rock isn't on my side of the field, I will use him to revenge kill almost anything because he'll survive the hit with focus sash intact and kill it with his strong attacks. He is named IONIC because he is made of minerals which are usually ionic compounds.
    [​IMG]
    e- (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt
    This is definitely the ultimate choice-scrafer. In a metagame that centralizes around this Pokemon, it is hard not to use it because it's that good. It's one of those Pokemon that you hate fighting against, but love using. I definitely lead with it quite often because it can U-turn out of any threat or incoming switch, then switch into the appropriate check/counter to the opponent's Pokemon. It's Download ability is godsend and any boost is handy at any time. Sometimes I wish it wasn't locked into one move because then the next Pokemon (who generally resists the attack) will come in and I usually won't have a safe switch in since my team is sort of leaning towards Hyper Offensive and has only decent bulk. However, the speed is necessary for Genesect to do the job I want it to do. I wanted a cools scientific name for it and I thought the abbreviation for electrons would be a fitting name.
    [​IMG]
    Hydroxyl (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Rest
    This little washing machine is a great defensive pivot point because it has amazing synergy with my powerhouses. I use it to take a resisted hit and then disable incoming Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp or switch out with Volt Switch (or even a dry switch). I discovered this set looking a Princess Bri's RMT and seemed like it would be fitting for my team (since Rotom-W was a later addition to my team). The chesto berry proves more useful than just an instant recovery to Rest. It also adds as Rotom's way of countering Breloom. Generally, when a Breloom comes in, Rotom-W needs to get out before getting demolished by a technician Bullet Seed. The Opponent will predict this and use Spore against my "incoming" threat; However, I will predict this prediction (which always happens) and stay in, use my Will-O-Wisp to disable the Breloom. I named it Hydroxyl because organic chemistry is killing me! XD
    [​IMG]
    Newton 1st (Salamence) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 8 SAtk 248 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    This dragon is a beast. He is my main sweeper, so I usually keep him healthy until midgame time. Once he gets at least one Dragon Dance in, it is almost impossible to stop him. With each kill, he gets more and more impossible to stop and can sweep a whole team if they don't have priority ice shard or steel-types (which both are common) thanks to Moxie. I haven't found a time that I would have wished I had Intimidate, so Moxie is good. Although his checks and counters are pretty common, I am able to get through them generally easy. I will always try to use Fire Blast or Earthquake to get the weaker kills because I need to conserve Outrage until after the opponent's team is eliminated of steel-types. The Lum Berry comes in handy if the opponent tries to put it to sleep or after an outrage-induced confusion. Just like Newton's First Law of Motion, "An object in motion, stays in motion." I did mention in the team building section that I picked him because after one Dragon Dance he'll out speed Genesect (which is important because it can revenge kill with Ice Beam), but I realized the Smogon copy & paste moveset's speed EVs causes Salamence to be out sped still. However, I am not experienced in why EVs are the way they are, so I am not sure if this new EV spread is efficient or not.
    [​IMG]
    Somite (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Surf
    - Roost
    I definitely have mixed feelings of this Latias set. It's like the jack of all trades, but excels in none. The defense is good enough for pivot points; just like Reuniclus. The diverse special attacks can severely damage almost anything. The speed is just enough to outspeed slower targets. However, at times I wished it was more defense, or more offensive, and more speedy. I've never liked Life Orb, but this is an exception because without it, I know she won't be offensive enough for my liking (She's already too "weak" even with it). Definitely the speed is what's most troublesome. I sort of wish it was max speed in order to outspeed other Latias/Latios, but that would make it deviate too much from what I really need. Strangely, it's this averageness that makes her such an important team player and pivot point. Even though I made it seem like she's dispensable, it's actually the opposite. She gives just enough of everything that I need. Named her Somite because of her versatility like how our Somite cells can become anything from limbs to muscles to organs.
    [​IMG]
    Kinase (Breloom) (M) @ Fighting Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Spore
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Swords Dance
    I have always loved Breloom. I fell in love with it's Bulk Up set during B/W era, but this new B/W 2 set is amazing too. That fighting gem is so versatile. I always conserve it until my opponent least expects it. It definitely accumulated a lot of crucial KOs. I try to use Spore sparingly because I want to make sure the Pokemon that would cause the most trouble is debilitated for the rest of the battle (instead of putting something that was essentially deathfodder for the other team to sleep). I don't know if it's just my luck, but Bullet Seed usually only hits twice most of the time, which isn't very strong. Breloom definitely isn't as bulky as Conkeldurr, but definitely hits hard and the sleep-inducing capability is very welcomed. His name is Kinase because his punches exert a lot of energy, yet he can also be very conservative, which is just like the job of Kinase. Kinase transports phosphates and causes certain molecules to be active and inactive.
    Importable Procedure:
    Show Hide
    e- (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt

IONIC (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Taunt

Kinase (Breloom) (M) @ Fighting Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Spore
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Swords Dance

Newton 1st (Salamence) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SAtk / 248 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake

Somite (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Surf
    - Roost

Hydroxyl (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Rest

Trial and Error:
    Show Hide
    Here was some of my old team members that I replaced:
    [​IMG]
    Darwin (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Mach Punch
    Conkeldurr is my latest addition to the team. I added him because I needed a physical oriented defensive pivot. But he proved to do much more. He can set up on a lot of defensive Pokemon and recover any residue damage through drain punch. Also, if he gets poisoned or burned, the guts boost is all I really need to dent the opponent's team. His bulk is actually questionable because I find that he can't take many special attacks even with the special defense EVs and can't take many physical attacks without a bulk up boost. However, if I am able to get bulk up boosts, he does fairly well. He causes rage quits too when I get a few bulk up boosts, which shows how dangerous he can be. His name is Darwin because Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection and fitness makes total sense for a Pokemon this beastly.
    Replaced by Breloom because worked more better synergy-wise with my current team. Adds power and sleep-status, but loses bulk
    [​IMG]
    3'RNA5' (Reuniclus) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    To be honest, I legitimately slapped her onto my team because I felt like it. My favorite play style is Trick Room, but I can never produce a successful team that is based solely on Trick Room. So I decided to use Reuniclus because she uses Trick Room and does a good amount of damage alone without much support and can take in toxic/burn status. She comes in useful against any fast threat and psychic types. She literally reverses the tides and gives advantages to my slower Pokemon, like Conkeldurr. Even the faster members get help because it allows them to out speed choice-scarfers. All in all, she does a good job. It's just unfortunate I can't fit recover in here because the coverage is very important. I wanted to name her Embryo Princess, but it is too long. Haha. However, I named her after DNA, but added the carbon chain ends because it looked more unique. Just renamed her to RNA because "R" can stand for Ribo or Reuniclus! Clever, Clever, right? Haha
    Replaced with Latias because I needed a weather check and Latias provided that support. Only miss the fortuitous trick room and ghost coverage against psychics.

Analysis
    Through playtesting, I noticed that my biggest weakness may be Sun teams. As soon as they bring a Venusaur out with the sun glowing strong, I know I lost. None of my members can counter it. Which is why I might change a team member in order to defeat sun teams. Out of all the members, probably Conkeldurr or Reuniclus may be the most expendable. Also, Rain team gives me some problems because none of my Pokemon can really take a rain-boosted hydro pump, but it's not as dangerous as Sun teams. I haven't fought any baton pass teams yet, but I know I've always had problems against baton pass teams, so those are probably a threat. I'm not very good at pointing out threats, but this covers everything that comes off the top of my head.

EDIT: With my new team, I can't really say which one is most expendable because they are all great synergy-wise, but I've noticed that I'm having trouble with Latios (before I had Reuniclus to check it) and still having problems with rain because my only true check to rain is Rotom-W. Also, I have yet to fight Venusaur with my new team, so I do not know how well it will fare against sun teams.

Conclusion
    Overall, I really enjoyed making this RMT. It allowed me to think about my team and hopefully get some advice to improve on it. I feel that this team is a very successful one because I am only a casual battler and reaching 1700 seems decent. I worked really hard to make sure this RMT looked pretty for your viewing pleasures. Soooo let the rates begin!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)
  2. Electrolyte

Electrolyte The Great Stone Dragon
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hi,

Nice team! Your RMT was formatted quite nicely- good job on that. Since the team itself looks quite solid, I'll just touch upon the problem of Salamence's spread, and then get into more detail. Since outspeeding Genesect is obviously important, a spread of 8 HP / 252 Spe / 248 Atk Jolly would definitely be better. (The current spread was made back when Genesect was still in DW.) That is the minimum speed needed to outpace Genesect.

Since your team does lack bulk / speed, I do see the problem of getting plowed through by Sun / Rain powerhouses. If you wanted to keep your relatively bulkier team nature, you could go for Dragonite instead of Salamence. It has the bulk that Mence doesn't that allows it to take hits- instead of being frailer and just run over by faster, more powerful attackers. On the other hand, you could go for a bit more offense and replace Conkeldurr / Reuniclus with Breloom / Latias instead of replacing Mence. It's a much bigger change, but it's the direction I personally would go towards, because offense needs to be kept up in teams like yours with Volt Turn and Lead Terrakion. Latias has the bulk to take on Rain and sun, but also the power to hit things fairly hard with Life Orb and STAB. Her bulk and speed will also be hugely useful, cleaning up after Salamence sweeps keeping your pressure up. Breloom on the other hand helps you against already set up sweepers as well as slower support pokemon such as Forretress or Ferrothorn. It's Spore will be hugely helpful by buying Salamence time to set up, and powerful Bullet Seed that destroys bulky waters will definitely open the way for Sala. It's typing also helps vs Rain somewhat, though you shouldn't let it take too many hits.

Your team looks decent right now, though some inbalance strategy wise may cause the team to not work at full efficiency. There are a few changes that you could make, and the sets are down below. Good luck!

TLDR:
    Salamence --> 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248+ Spe
    Salamence --> Dragonite
    OR
    Conkeldurr / Reuniclus --> Breloom / Latias

sets (open)

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Adamant / 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Dragon Dance / Outrage / Fire Punch / Extremespeed

Dragonite's bulk and typing will help you face Sun teams with a bit more stability.

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
    Jolly / 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Mach Punch / Spore / Bullet Seed / Swords Dance

Fighting Gem may seem weird, but there's a reason why I think it would do better than Conkeldurr. Spore shuts down pesky Gyro Ballers that Terrakion would not dare Taunt. Fighting Gem Mach Punch packs a punch head on, giving you an escape route when facing weakened powerful opponents.

Latias Life Orb
    Modest / 152 HP / 176 SpA / 180 Spe
    Draco Meteor / Roost / Surf / Hidden Power Fire

Latias's resistances and nice bulk allow it to take hits for you from the omnipresent rain / sun. Draco hits hard, and roost is for recovery. Surf hits hard in Rain, and HP in sun, though refresh is useable if you want to maintain the ability to tank status.
  3. smileydude689

smileydude689

Thanks, Electrolyte, for the rate!

I am glad my RMT is formatted nicely. I have seen enough RMTs to understand that only aesthetically pleasing ones get good rates. Haha.

I actually do not mind these changes that much because I have used all three of them during B/W 1 and understand their strengths. I think I might go with the Conkeldurr/Reuniclus to Breloom/Latias route. Dragonite is definitely a beast, but the problem is that his speed is underwhelming at times when I need it because he really requires at least two dragon dances to be speedy. However, I will change the EVs for Salamence. I have used Bulk Up Breloom and Calm mind Latias with Roar and mono-dragon coverage. Both of which were amazing for the specific team I had. But I guess Technician Breloom is a new fun toy to play with and that Latias set should be good as a check against sun teams.

I have not tested these sets yet, but I feel like these will be good changes to make. My only reserve is losing some status immunity and some bulk. But I do gain a reliable sun team check (which remedies my weather problems) and sleep-inducer. If I have any problems or need help, I'll keep you updated.
  4. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey, I don't have much advices for you since Electrolyte covered the most glaring problems (not that they were glaring at all, team seems solid and can work even in its original incarnation I guess) but had to post to say that I really love your presentation, that scientific theme is awesome to my eyes!

Maybe the only slight change I would do is to switch to 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 something on Reuniclus. While I suspect those 64 Def EVs are useful to hit some obscure benchmark that the Smogon onsite analysis doesn't mention, 252 HP Reuniclus is OHKO'd 6.25% of the times by +2 +Speed LO Venusaur with Sludge Bomb (arguably the best variant, although not the most common...yet) so it makes a semi-reliable counter to a poke that otherwise just plows through your team as you mentioned.

Other than this, I support Electrolyte's suggestions; good luck for your team!
  5. dragonuser

dragonuser Today, tomorrow, and always with a frozen heart
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Pyramid Kingis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey there,

This is a pretty cool team, and I am glad to see more people utilizing DDMence in this meta. It is an extremely underrated sweeper who has potential to do a lot of damage. However, one of DDMence's best quality's in this meta is its good speed stat and its ability to outspeed Scarf Genesect. Your current set doesn't take advantage of this, so I would heavily recommend 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spd with a Jolly Nature. You seem to like 8 HP, so I took 4 out of attack rather than speed. This helps a lot vs opposing Scarf Jirachi's and Salamence's, as you can now speed tie them and are harder to revenge.

Also to help with your weakness to sun teams, I would recommend Specially Defensive Zapdos over Rotom-W. Zapdos gives you a considerable amount of Special Bulk, much like Rotom-W, but it isn't as weak to Venusaur. It is still a fantastic check to Rain sweepers, like Tornadus-T, and can be very difficult for some rain teams to take down. Hope I helped.

set (open)

[​IMG]
    Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Heat Wave
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Roost

6. smileydude689

smileydude689

Sorry for the hiatus of sorts. I was busy with midterms last week (had calculus, biology, and organic chemistry midterms all the same week). I have played a few games with the newest members and love them as much as the original team, so thank you, Electrolyte for the advice.

@ganj4lF
    Thank you for the compliment. I really enjoyed presenting my team in a scientific and innovative way. It was a fun way of coping with my stress. Haha! I haven't tested out the Reuniclus because I went ahead and used Electrolyte's replacement members. However, I am sure that EV spread is better because it never seemed like Reuniclus used those defense EVs well.

@dragonuser
    From what you said, it seems like DDMence is rare, which I am shocked because it sweeps my opponents like a broom to dust bunnies (...I know... Bad analogy. I'm tired xD). And I did change my Salamence's EVs and nature, but forgot to edit the team at the time you posted. Also, not that I don't mind your recommendation, I won't replace Rotom-W with Zapdos because then I would truly lose my water-resist which I find very important.

So here's my little bump, but I definitely edited my team and hope for some more rates because I put so much effort into this RMT.

Thanks to everyone who has posted because all your guys' response were helpful.

EDIT: Also, I kind of want to try Rock Polish Genesect, do you guys think that will deviate too much from my current set-up? Do you think it's unoriginal since it seems be very popular as of late? Also, if I were to do that, what is a good replacement choice-scarfer?
  7. Asek

Asek Mirror my malady, Transfer my tragedy
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hi

Cool team. First off, I wouldn't use RP genesect as your team as you have 3 great set up sweepers already, and gene really ties up their common weakness to DDnite as well as serving as an all purpose revenge killer/ scout in general. Anyway just a few nitpicks, I would seriously reccomend you change your breloom spread to 220HP/ 252Atk / 36spe with an Adamant nature. Considering breloom's poor speed tier and the fact that it doesn't do much with max speed without low sweep, the given EV's do a fair amount for him. With breloom's good set of resistances, the HP investment let him take hits a lot better than previous, letting him set up on more pokemon and not be revenge killed as easily. The little bit of speed left lets you beat standard skarmory and wobbufett, which can be helpful in lots of situations, as well as some variants of the very noteworthy god Metagross.

Final nitpick, I would change your genesect spread to 92Atk/ 252SpA/ 164Spe. This spread lets you outspeed up to +1 Dnite, which is all thats nessecary really. The only targets you miss out on is +1 Hydreigon and Haxorus, the former being beaten up by breloom and the latter being hardly used and can't set up anywhere at all on the team anyway. The extra power in your U-Turn is really nice and noticeable considering it will probably be your most used move, and it can help do that little bit more damage to the other team thats needed to break them open

GL with the team
    EDIT: A lot of specially defensive rotom-w have been popping up that carry 0 speed, so unless you feel you really need to outspeed bulky attacking rotom-w the speed isn't that needed (choice rotom-w is still out there but its rare and you lose to that either way)
  8. Zeta5

Zeta5

Following up on the Salamence Ev thing. I think it would be wise to change it to 252 Atk / 4 Sdef/ 252 Spd. I do not see how Salamence benefits. By putting the extra EVs in Sdef i'm pretty sure Mence gets an extra switch in with Stealth Rocks up due to the odd number Hp stat(if you were not damaged at all when you switched in). Second +1 Salamence does not out speed a scarf Genesect, you'd need +2 for that. I may have missed something but to my knowledge +1 never out speeds.

To keep Salamence alive(and your team in general but mostly Mence), I suggest either the Defensive rapid spin Starmie over Rotom-W or Latias (I leave that up to you to decide, I'd replace Lati though). It helps with the power to spin, burn and stay alive. There is a sacrifice in team defense but I think its worth it.

[​IMG]
    Leftovers Natural Cure Timid
    Moveset
    ~ Scald
    ~ Psyshock / Ice Beam
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Recover
    EVs 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

If you want you could go for the standard offense one If you want immediate power.

[​IMG]
    Life Orb / Leftovers Natural Cure Timid
    Moveset
    ~ Hydro Pump / Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Rapid Spin / Recover
    EVs 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Lastly, while not related to the team, you made this a science themed RMT right? WHERE'S COLRESS. [​IMG]

That's I have to say, I hope I helped and GL with the team :)
  9. smileydude689

smileydude689

Before making any other Pokemon changes, I think I will experiment with some of the EV spreads people have been giving me.

@Asek
    Although I did say Breloom was pretty frail, I really welcome the speed EVs. I was thinking about what I need to outspeed. I think defensive Rotom-W is a priority. I'm only looking at Smogon Analysis for the common speed EVs for defensive Rotom-W which is 176 Spe, so to outspeed it, I was thinking of Breloom having this stat spread: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe Jolly Nature. I'm pretty sure most Smogon analysis are outdated, so is that a common Spe EVs for Rotom-W?

I think I will try your Genesect's EV spread because it really outspeeds all the things I need it to outspeed. So thanks for that!

@Zeta5
    About Salamence's speed. With the given speed EVs and +speed nature, my Salamence has 327 speed and max speed, +speed nature Genesect has 326. Since the multiplier is the same, my +1 Salamence will always outspeed Choice-Scarf Genesect. Of course, I don't outspeed +2 RP Genesect, but that wasn't what I was thinking of at the time.
    Also, I just did the calculations and understand why it's 0 HP EVs, with 0 HP EVs, Salamence will get damaged 82.75 from stealth rocks and that rounds down to 82 in Pokemon mechanics; with 4 HP EVs, Salamence will get damaged 83 even; and lastly with 8 HP EVs, Salamence will get damaged 83.25 which rounds down to 83. So either way it's still a little "efficient", but I think I'll move the 8 HP EVs into SpAtk to give Fire Blast a little "oomph". So I'll change Salamence's EVs to 252 Atk / 8 SpAtk / 248 Spd

About Starmie, I'm not going to make any other Pokemon replacements just yet. Still a little incomplete in playtesting with my current team. I'm just going to test out different EV spreads.

Also, improvements to my RMT format is always welcomed too! I cannot believe I forgot Colress! His signature Magneton is one of my most favorite Pokemon! So I'm going to replace the male scientist with him (in order to keep it somewhat conserved format-wise).

So quick overview of changes:
    [​IMG] 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe ---> 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
    [​IMG] 8 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe ---> 92 Atk / 252 SAtk / 164 Spe
    [​IMG] 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe ---> 252 Atk / 8 SAtk / 248 Spe is this even worth it?
    [​IMG] ---> [​IMG] Haha :)

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to say thank you in this post! So thank you two for the help and another thank you to everyone who has responded! :D
  10. Zeta5

Zeta5

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to say thank you in this post! So thank you two for the help and another thank you to everyone who has responded! :D

No problem! At least I was of help, I'm happy that Colress is there now!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)