The Second Smogon Chess Tournament - Group Stage

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Approved by Mekkah

Boring stuff you should have read in the first thread said:
It was around this time last year that the first Smogon Chess Tournament was held. Now that we have come so far, I thought it would be time for another chance for Smogoners to show off their chess skills. The tournament will be much like the Football (soccer) World Cup: there will be four pools of equal numbers of players, depending on how many people are interested. Each player will play everyone in their pool, with 3/1/0 points being awarded for each game, after which the two top players in each pool will go into a best-of-three knockout. If there are ties between second and third, a game will be played between them to determine who goes through. In the eight-man (or woman) knockout, a draw will mean another game will have to be played, and this will go on until there is a winner.

And now the rules, basically copied from the old tournament:

1) Games can be played however you want. Standard notation over IRC is a great way to do it, but they can be played over msn, other websites or however you want to do it. You could even do it via Smogon PM if you want. Whatever you agree on.
2) All the standard Circus and forum-wide rules.
3) All players have a specific time-limit in each round. It does not matter how you get your match done, so long as it is played within the deadline. PM your opponent and agree how you wish to play.
4) PM any disputes to myself. I will make the final decisions.
5) You aren't allowed to use any resources except your own head to make your move choices. Things banned include move-generating bots, opening databases and endgame tablebases. Using a chessboard to view positions is acceptable and encouraged.
6) If you fail to complete your games within the given time period, and are deemed inactive, you will forfeit your game or be subbed out in the first round. Likewise, let us know if your opponent is inactive.
7) If both players agree, they may use a clock, but otherwise do not play a timed match. I suspect the standard will be to play without one. It is a friendly tournament, and I'm sure that you won't play stupidly.
8) It might be a good idea to keep a log. Don't send it to me, because I don't care, but in case of disputes it might help to keep one.
9)It should go without saying, but here in case someone is an idiot: standard rules obviously apply.

Sign-ups have finished. The groups are:

----------------------------------------------------------
Group One
-reyscarface
-coolking49
-Curtains
-Seven Deadly Sins
-ILoveLiza
-iiMKUltra

Group Two
-JabbaTheGriffin
-Engineer Pikachu
-AlphaJolt
-Eo Ut Mortus
-smashlloyd20
-G80

Group Three
-Dogfish44
-Class
-Requiem[9]
-theangryscientist
-Exclamation
-Badalcristiano

Group Four
-Quagsires
-Athenodoros
-auramaster
-moot
-ginganinja
-LifeAdmiral

Subs:
----------------------------------------------------------

I was going to make iiMKUltra and ginga play off to be in it to round off the groups, but it just sounds like a pain. They both tell me they're not that good anyway, if it helps everyone else in the group :) I'll also move iiMKUltra around if someone else looks inactive. As a baseline, I want everyone to have played a game within a week of this OP to show they are playing.

Anyway, I'm sure we're all adult enough here to make this work. Everyone needs to play everyone else in their group and post the results here so I can keep track of them all. It would be good if you could try to alternate white/black in your matches, so people don't start whining, but if you feel that you are likely to then if both opponents agree you can playa best of three or more. I will make a spreadsheet public with the results soon. This being Circus Maximus, I have also made an IRC channel #smogonchess for people to find each other on IRC if you want to, because PMing standard notation on IRC works well if you have it. As a deadline, everyone should be able to finish four matches by the end of the month. I don't want this to drag on for as long as the last one did, but if everyone is struggling (say nuclear war breaks out or something) then I might extend it for a few hours. Have fun everyone.

EDIT: The Spreadsheet is here. It was a bit further down but it might as well be in the OP.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Awwwww maaaaaaaaan.

Last time I played Eo I was blind. I'll do better this time.

Also, where are we playing? I have a RHP account, but still...

EDIT: Nvm

I'd prefer to play via yahoo chess or zone.com, since it is easier to visualize... but anyhing goes really.

edit: Ive played against Badal and would advocate for him to be subbed in against any of my group members.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
host you probably should have made us post what we play by (sim / numbers and letters) in our signup post so you paired us accordingly in the groups.

because im not lying when i say i cannot play standard notation for shit

Athenodoros

You can do simulators. I don't have any problem with that. I kind of assumed that you'd know standard notation, and if I'd known that groups of people wouldn't, then I would have organised you that way. But seriously, it is four games. Use simulators/IRC/whatever. It isn't hard. It was just going to be useful to have a standard. And I'll get to doing the any subs now.

EDIT: chess.com works well. I'm there as well.

EDIT2: Okay, just because I love you all, I have changed it so that everyone is in and all the people who have said they want to play on simulators are in Group One. Now Shut The Fuck Up And Play Some Chess.

Athenodoros

There are now too many people to fit into Group One, so they are spilling over into Group Two. I hope that's everyone.

EDIT: To start it off I lost to ginganinja. The Spreadsheet is here for anyone who wants it.

Athen. If you need people moved. I can play notation. It just happens that I have a chess.com account as well.

To those in my group I am ILoveLiza on chess.com for our games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)