The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

I just found out about Specs Dragonite. Actually, it was used against me in a free mode match, partnered with politoed and virizion. Free Hurricanes!! =D

I <3 my (offensive DD) Gyarados. If their Rotom is already injured this thing wins games.

I've already mentioned Scarf Galvantula.

Something I haven't used but have been beaten by a few times is Jellicent. Specially defensive usually, but an Acid Armor version made a fool of my Garchomp.

I <3 my (offensive DD) Gyarados. If their Rotom is already injured this thing wins games.

I've already mentioned Scarf Galvantula.

Something I haven't used but have been beaten by a few times is Jellicent. Specially defensive usually, but an Acid Armor version made a fool of my Garchomp.
DD dos is amazing, If all the all the japenese people stopped using Gardevoir, i would use it more...but no now shes uber common just to troll my life.

I'm thinking about running rain, but how do you get a politoed to underspeed a tyranitar?

also, which pokemon do you guys have on your rain team? so far i've got:

-politoed
-kingdra
-ludicolo
-rotom-w
-thundurus
-?

maybe breloom?

I'm thinking about running rain, but how do you get a politoed to underspeed a tyranitar?

also, which pokemon do you guys have on your rain team? so far i've got:

-politoed
-kingdra
-ludicolo
-rotom-w
-thundurus
-?

maybe breloom?
Virizon is a great choice for any rain team and politoad. the power items will make it slower then t tar

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
^ No, it's definitely Wobbufett. I battled two in a row the other day (granted, against the same person -.-) and it always took out at least one Pokemon.

^ Agreed. I had forgotten that Wobbufett was allowed until I faced a guy with 4 stars from Pennsylvania I believe. His team also consisted of Tyranitar + Sub-Dance Garchomp and Breloom. A rather annoying team overall. I guess if Wobbufett really becomes a nuisance, there are always the special based dark types like Zoroark who are immune to Mirror Coat.

From what I've seen, Chomps are either Scarfed or SD with a Yache/Sash. And of course, there's the occasional Sub variant.

And I haven't seen that many Tyranitars recently. I think most people realized that going for pure sandstorm abuse is just asking to get swept by a Rotom-W or really any bulky water.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
So how does a standard teams look like now.
Is it still tar + chomp + excadrill?
Not really I think. Excadrill is pretty rare the last time I checked. Garchomp is pretty common, but Tyranitar is not exactly common.

Most Chomps I see are either Scarfed or Sub.

The majority of Garchomp sets seem to have Substitute & Swords Dance from my experience...

I've not had much bother with Wobbufett really, although I've only ever come across one before and it screwed me up with Encore...

Ah, it's good to see a tread dedicated to random wifi matches.
I'm now at 134 wins vs. 109 losses, whcih sucks pretty badly.... and I think I've had about 35 DC matches
while about to win. I instantly DC myself when people use OHKO moves like Sheer Cold, even when I have 3 pokes left and my opponent is down to his last one.

Notable troublesome pokemon:
-Rotom-W (obviously)
-Rotom-H to a lesser extent
-Scarfed Chomp
-Jolteon -.-
-Ninetails with HP ice
-Kingdra in rain
-Flinchbot Togekiss
-Scarfed Staraptor with reckless ;)
I feel like a lot of losses were caused by me picking the wrong 3 after seeing the opposing team.

So how do you guys set up your team. Do you just fill up your team with as many counters as possible,
do you use a base team and switch between the other three depending on the opponent??

Ah, it's good to see a tread dedicated to random wifi matches.
I'm now at 134 wins vs. 109 losses, whcih sucks pretty badly.... and I think I've had about 35 DC matches
while about to win. I instantly DC myself when people use OHKO moves like Sheer Cold, even when I have 3 pokes left and my opponent is down to his last one.

Notable troublesome pokemon:
-Rotom-W (obviously)
-Rotom-H to a lesser extent
-Scarfed Chomp
-Jolteon -.-
-Ninetails with HP ice
-Kingdra in rain
-Flinchbot Togekiss
-Scarfed Staraptor with sheer force.

I feel like a lot of losses were caused by me picking the wrong 3 after seeing the opposing team.

So how do you guys set up your team. Do you just fill up your team with as many counters as possible,
do you use a base team and switch between the other three depending on the opponent??
Staraptor has Reckless, not Sheer Force.

I choose my team depending on which Pokemon can handle which on their team. I think about what they'll choose after seeing my team, and I choose counters to those Pokemon.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Thoughts on this set? Not all that familiar with the singles metagame on GBU.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multi-Scale
Adamant, 252 Atk/252 Spe

Outrage
Dragon Dance
Roost
Extremespeed

What is your solution for Steel-types? Do you have something that takes care of them beforehand, or do you just not bring Dragonite in when you see a Steel-type on the foe's team roster?

I tried out Dual Screen Espeon over the WiFi today. As expected Magic Bounce caused a lot of switches. What people didn't expect was that with both Light Screen + Reflect up, Dragonite wouldn't simply refuse to go down. Having a +2 priority move in ExtremeSpeed really helped.

Other members of my trial team that also appreciated the added bulk:
Conkeldurr
Heatran
Thundurus
Mamoswine

While Espeon winded up usually dying to critical hits, it served a key role in today's run and is definitely a keeper for future use.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I lost to a Zorua yesterday.

Zorua @Eviolite?
Unknown EVs
-Counter
-Swagger
-Sucker Punch
-Foul Play

I have to say, it was brilliant.

I lost to a Zorua yesterday.

Zorua @Eviolite?
Unknown EVs
-Counter
-Swagger
-Sucker Punch
-Foul Play

I have to say, it was brilliant.
I lost two of my Pokémon to that exact set (I know one was Scrafty, I DD'ed because I thought he'd Counter and be faster but he Swaggered instead, which 2HKO'ed me after Confusion recoil and a Foul Play)

I have the most trouble with Suicune, Rotom-W, and Jellicent. Yeah, bulky waters... Breloom is (still) giving me headaches with it's rapetastic Spore-spamming.

I've found that specially-defensive Mandibuzz is very useful on stall teams. Insta-healing alongside Toxic and a phazing move is pretty nice.

With all the Sand Stream and Drought abusing teams out there, I've found that Azumarill is a very good team player. He has a ridiculously powerful Aqua Jet (almost as good as Scizor's CB Bullet Punch, IIRC) and has a field day with the likes of Tyranitar, Excadrill, Volcarona, and Blaziken.

Also, I've noticed a lot of random HP Fire on everything. Everyone's scared of Ferrothorn.

I just fought what was apparently a max HP/max Def Espeon... Calm Mind, HP Fire, Morning Sun, and Psyshock. Really bizarre, my Haxorus outsped but got his Outrage stalled out by Morning Sun. O.o Then Regigigas switched in and Returned it to death.

I hate hate hate hate Breloom, and so have two Taunt users and a Lum Berry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)