The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

Yes, I've seen more using Substitute recently, which means they usually only have Earthquake and Rock Slide as attacks. A Swords Dance still makes a not very effective hit unfavourable though...
I still hate seeing this Pokémon...

On a similar note I've been seeing a lot of Quick Attack Scizors also. All the sub Excadrills and QA Scizors have been from Japanese players too. They know something we don't? Because in my experience facing them it doesn't seem to be working.

I considered Quick Attack on my Scizor after I saw a few using it too. It would help against weakened blocks to Scizor like Gyarados and Rotom, who are normally confident to take a Bullet Punch. Plus Quick Attack gets the Technician boost too.

In the end I just feel Superpower and U-turn are more useful (and Bullet Punch & Swords Dance, obviously).

Hi, I'm running this team in single battle wifi game and I hope that I can get feedback from you guys since I'm new to competitive battle in pokemon.

Alakazam @Focus Sash
Magic Guard
Timid Nature, 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Grass Knot

Sableye @Leftover
Prankster
Careful Nature, 240 HP, 128 Def, 128 SpD, 12 Spe
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp
-Toxic
-Taunt

Kingdra @Splash Plate
Swift Swim
Mild Nature, 92 Att, 252 SpA, 164 Spe
-Rain Dance
-Surf
-Waterfall
-Draco Meteor

Porygon2 @Eviolite
Trace
Calm Nature, 252 HP, 176 Def, 82 SpD
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Thunder Bolt

Infernape @Life Orb
Blaze
Naive Nature, 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 SpA
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Mach Punch

Swampert @Quick Claw
Torrent
Relaxed Nature, 240 HP, 216 Def, 54 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Roar

I'm not sure whether Swampert is needed on my team or not. At first, I intended to use Swampert to face the enemy Flying pokemon, any weak to ground attack pokemon, and Volcarona (Stealth Rock), but it's no good at all or maybe I just can't use it well enough.

Any suggestion how I should tweak my team? I'm thinking to use Nasty Plot Azelf with Hidden Power Rock or Thunderbolt instead of Swampert.

I usually use this setup, depends on the metagame:
Sableye + Porygon2 + Sweeper (Sableye Lead)
Sableye or Porygon2 + 2 Sweeper (Sweeper Lead, Alakazam or Infernape)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
A couple things:
-Don't run Kingdra and Infernape at the same time, as Rain Dance cripples the monkey.
-Hazards are awful in GBU, and Stealth Rock is no exception. If you're afraid of Volcarona, run Terrakion or the Azelf you mentioned, if they lack Quiver Dance (or if you have a Choice Scarf) you can outrun it and KO.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Stealth Rock isn't outright awful IMO. They're somewhat situational but definitely could work to break potentially saved up Sashes and finish off 1 HP Pokemon. It's definitely a lot more situational than in 6v6 but can still work to some extent.

Yes, Slowbro with Rocky Helmet can be a good Dragonite counter too. They can survive a +1 Outrage, get rid of the Multiscale with the Helmet and Ice Beam back.

i been testing 2 specific pokemon in the gbu and while originally they seem bad
testing them has been very interesting to say the least

Mandibuzz
Ability:Overcoat
Nature:Careful
Item:Leftovers
Moves:
Swagger
Flatter
Roost
Punishment

Latios
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Calm
Item:Toxic orb/Flame Orb
Moves:
Dragon Pulse
Psycho Shift
Protect
Recover

latios in particular made some people rage quit cause of the fact flame orb screwed their attack strength so it seemed even more bulky. as of now i been experimenting with which orb works better. seems to me burn is better all around but toxic can deal with walls and stat upers better

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Wouldn't you want to use Trick instead of Psycho Shift to achieve the same thing without crippling your Latios in the process?

true, it would not cripple latios
but my thought was to continue passing the condition
and plus
honestly im a terrible tricker so my luck probably would give someone a guts boost

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
true, it would not cripple latios
but my thought was to continue passing the condition
and plus
honestly im a terrible tricker so my luck probably would give someone a guts boost
Which youd do anyway with Psycho Shift, lol. That said Psycho Shift would also be an interesting move for passing Paralysis, if gimmicky.

Not that this is entirely relevant, but I'd like to share my anguish anyway.

I got a 3DS today, trading in my old DS Lite. It turns out that to connect to the wi-fi on the 3DS, I need to clear all my ranking data - because it expects my old DS to be accessing that data.

Without my old DS I had no choice, all ranking data had to go... my yellow trainer card and over 800 battles all gone. Damn. 1500 again.

No, the Free records stay as they are - only the Rated data is lost. I can still Game Sync with my same PGL account too, which is good. Unfortunately most of my battles were Rated, so it'll take a long time to get where I was again - if I even want to try.

Apparently if you have been playing Rated battles with a DSi, you can transfer the data to a 3DS with one of them.

Started playing again, one match I had led with Scizor and the opponent was using a shiny Mismagius. I was expecting a switch so I press U-turn and get slammed by Inferno >_> not saying I didnt know it got it via DW but entralink pokemon cant be shiny. That taught me a lesson.

What is the source saying they can't be shiny?
I received a shiny Dratini over the global trade centre and it's in a Dream Ball, met at the Entralink, has nothing particularly special about it - just like it was a random encounter. There's no reason why anyone would hack this one.

I think it would be more fearsome in 6v6 Singles. You're already likely to send in your most Moxiemence-resistant Pokemon as soon as it shows up on the field. After that anti-mence is gone, there's a good chance Salamence would steamroll the other two anyway, with or without boosts. But that's just conjecture.

EDIT: With or without extra boosts, after Dragon Dance, I mean. At +1 Atk / +1 Spe, with its main counter down, Salamence doesn't appear to me to need an extra +1 Atk.

"No shiny abuse" just means that you can't RNG it as far as I know, not that shiny Pokémon are not possible.

From my experience using Intimidate and Moxie Gyarados on the GBU, Intimidate was by far the better option. It isn't like you could even build much momentum with three opponent Pokémon.

Plus, how is both Dragon Dance and Outrage legal with Moxie? If you get a female from the Dream World, you can breed it to get Dragon Dance & Moxie but no Outrage. If you get a Dream World Bagon that already comes with Outrage, then you can't breed with it to get Dragon Dance.

I think he's saying that the GBU hack check might allow Outrage + Dragon Dance + Moxie just like how it allows Aqua Jet + Belly Drum Azumarill.

Yeah, I'll be on the watch for that Mence too...

In other news, I picked up something which I originally used for style purposes but has turned out to be quite anti-meta (let's forget for a moment that I've used it primarily in Rotation):

Aggron @ Air Balloon
Adamant
252 HP/252 At/4 Spe
Substitute
Head Smash
Focus Punch
Ice Punch

Sub + Air Balloon just tortures many Gliscor, physical Dragonite, Garchomp, and many other threats relying strongly on Ground or Dragon coverage. Head Smash is excellent for spamming on a team you know has few Rock resists, Focus Punch covers Steel types, and Ice Punch catches the aforementioned trio by surprise (even if HS is stronger on Nite). In addition, its Subs have taken both hits from LO Chomp's Dual Chop as well as 4 of 5 Icicle Spear from +2 Cloyster.

Problems I've noticed include a lack of speed, issues with really bulky Waters (basically only Suicune) and Water/Grounds, and serious prediction skills in order to keep your Balloon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)