ORAS Doubles OU The Snorlax Team Shredder

Hey Guys, this is a Doubles OU team I've been using in the past while, and it's had decent results as of late!
This and a second team I have has gotten me too 1400 (But that's a story for another day) and it involves a Snorlax Team Shredder lead.

Btw, if no one understands what Team Shredder is, it's my phrase for when a single pokemon, (with slight aid from others) can completely shred a lead or any other mon without hesitation. It's very efficient for messing up someone's tempo.

SnorPz (Snorlax) @ Custap Berry (The Team Shredder)
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Self-Destruct
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
Snorlax is my Team Shredder, with it's very efficient bulky and useful ability with Gluttony and Belly Drum. It needs tiny support from Weavile with fake out to get the belly drum off without taking much damage, but as I've gotten further in, I realize that things like Lando-T, Thundurus, and double attackers will start being much more common, and I'm afraid this strategy won't work forever. But at the moment, Snorlax can hit so incredibly hard, with the team being made to core Snorlax, he can use whatever move he wants to eliminate the enemy with little trouble, thanks to custap berry. However, he has flaws with extreme speed and sucker punch moves, as well as fast encores.

Fab (Weavile) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
Weavile is the main Support for Snorlax, allowing fake out to flinch out a possible threat. Then I switch out to Gardevoir to preserve Weavile. I was thinking of maybe investing in bulk, and then replacing focus sash with eject button, as to save a turn of attacking, and allow me to apply pressure.

Wedding Day (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Destiny Bond
Gardevoir more than not my immediate switch in to Snorlax with Custap Berry. With access to Telepathy, Gardevoir will take no damage from Snorlax's attack, and then Gardevoir strikes back with Hyper voice. I Have Moon Blast and Psyshock as other options in case the opponent is carrying Wide Guard. Destiny Bond is Gardevoir's last resort, should it be on it's last move. It is almost guarenteed to take out it's opponent.

Wind Tiger (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
After this, we get into the back up Core Moves. These pokemon are there to hit hard, but also make sure they don't get hurt by Snorlax. Up first is Lando-T. Lando-T has high enough attack that it can hurt enemies badly without need for extra attack. I give it Hp and Sp. Def with Assault Vest to guarentee it lives most Ice attacks, allowing it to retaliate and deal extra Damage.

Long Appendix (Thundurus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Taunt
- Substitute
As you can see, Thundurus is nothing but support. You would think it would be extreme taunt bait, but no. With Prankster, Thundurus get's the jump on taunt pokemon with it's own taunt, getting priority and allowing it to keep going. I am considering replacing Thunder Wave with Toxic, as to allow it to toxic stall the enemy should it be forced too. There are other moves that I know would be better, and I feel as though Thundurus is just a liability at the moment. It also can't be hit by Landorus-T's attacks

Slice Slice~ (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Hidden Power [Water]
Aegislash is another mon that can hit i's enemies hard, and still stays relatively safe from Snorlax if need be. Hidden Power Water is to hit Fire Types, since Aegislash has a blinding weakness to them. However, I feel as though there are better moves than HP Water, and all it has done is sit there as a weakness for Aegislash.
Aegislash is usually my late game mon, able to partner up with almost anyone, without fear of attack, and hit hard.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Sup bro. I won't sugarcoat it: the strategy you have going on here with Snorlax is simply mediocre, and the 5 other guys you have on the back, while good / great pokemon on their own right, have inefficient sets that hold them back from being really effective. From what I've noticed, almost every pokemon you have is centred around being supportive around Snorlax; that is what's bringing it as this means that your whole team is dependent on an iffy strat working and that your team will just break down if Snorlax fails. Aside from MGard and Aegi, the rest of the other 5 are passive and are easily broken down, and the two aforementioned good mons have problems with their sets as well. In addition, this strategy you have with Snorlax is easily stopped by any competent player (players around 1600+, below that you can win with anything). Against people who know what they're doing, your "team shredder" will just get easily shredded, leaving the rest of your team struggling to come back.

Like I said, Snorlax is easy to deal with, but the other 5 have problems with their own sets except Weavile, which is the only one with a decent set on this team. The other 5 are also the actually good Pokemon that are capable of capable of winning you games, but their sets are holding you back immensely. Mega Gardevoir's lack of Protect holds it back as this means it can't position at all, leaving it exposed in bad positions; note that Protect is one of the most important moves in the metagame as explained here. Moonblast is also poor on it as it's really just weak and you already have Psyshock for hitting through Wide Guard; you'd be better off using something like Encore or HP Ground. Landorus-T is simply too passive since you gave it no offensive capability whatsoever; in Doubles OU, going on the offensive is much more important than taking hits, and your Landorus-T isn't a threat since it's just gonna get picked off while it struggles to do much back because of the lack of Attack and Speed investment. Thundurus's lack of attacks is a grave concern, this is the reason why you think it's a liability; it's normally a great pokemon, but without attacks it can't apply pressure to foes and is simply relegated to just standing there. Aegislash is actually decent save for HP Water; you'd be better off getting rid of that for Wide Guard, at least WG has actual utility compared to HP Water, which is redundant when a STAB move does just as much as a x2 HP Water. Wide Guard also helps against special Fire-types using Heat Wave o,o

Like, I can't exactly stop using you from using this team--that's your prerogative--but if you want to get higher on the ladder, I recommend reworking a team without Lax. You already have 4 good Pokemon in MGard / Lando-T / Thundurus / Aegislash, putting more stuff on that build for support should be simple enough. Regardless of whether or not you want to keep Lax and Weavile, I suggest that you use the analyses for your sets: in particular, I suggest Choice Scarf Lando-T / Bulky Thundurus / Wide Guard Aegislash / Standard MGard with Weavile and Lax if you keep them, and Sub Volcanion, Earth Power Hydreigon, and Jirachi over Aegislash if you don't; the latter functional build matches up well with the entire meta with MGard at its fulcrum but not necessarily relying on it for victory.

Whatever you do, good luck :heart:

It seems that you have a basic understanding of the Doubles OU metagame, but I am not going to lie. Custap Berry Snorlax is a common gimmick, usually paired with a Ghost type Pokemon or one with the ability Telepathy. In others words, you're going to have an extremely hard time using it against experienced players or in your case, ladderers above 1600. What I do like about your team is that your team has room for various speed control, leaving your team an opportunity to bulk itself. For example, your Mega Gardevoir can use Trick Room to grant it a greater hyper offensive presence. For the matter of its movesets, you don't need both Psyshock and Moonblast; Psychic/Psyshock with Protect is solid. The EV spread of 244 HP / 12 Def / 144 SpA / 108 Spe w/ Modest nature guarantees it to survive an attack from Talonflame and Aegislash. Of course, you would want a reliable support for your Trick Room, so I suggest that you replace Snorlax with Amoonguss. Amoonguss itself provides a nice role in using Spore against any threats as well as redirecting any attacks through Rage Powder. The Amoonguss that I present to you (EV: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD w/ Sassy Nature) particularly survives Psychic from threats like Mega Gardevoir and Life Orb boosted Latios, allowing you to Spore it back.

And although Thundurus is certainly a speed check, not having a STAB move is quite inconvenient. Nevertheless, I recommend that you use Zapdos over Thundurus because its Tailwind support allows Mega Gardevoir and Assault Vest Landorus-T to continue on with its rampage. Speaking of which, an EV spread of 164 HP / 132 Atk / 28 SpD / 184 Spe w/ Adamant nature gurantees Landorus-T to survive threats like un-Intimidated Waterfall from Gyarados and Steam Eruption from Volcanion. And just like Mega Gardevoir, it has just enough speed to outpace Breloom's Spore. An EV spread of 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe w/ Modest nature also gives enough speed for Aegislash to outpace Mega Diancie and offensive Thundurus under Tailwind. However, you should definitely use Wide Guard over Hidden Power Water as that is the niche of Aegislash; Wide Guard would certainly grant your team a better defensive stance.

... at this Memoric beat me to my recommendations, but he basically pointed out several things that I also have; he probably have better recommendations, too. But yeah, based on my recommendations, Volcanion would do you justice as the team's last Pokemon. Heat Wave as well as Steam Eruption helps against the remaining threats such as Ferrothorn. I personally like using Safety Goggles on my Volcanion and letting it have Haze to take care of Azuramill + Jirachi, but Leftovers with Substitute ain't bad selections either. (You can make that change.)

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 144 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 164 HP / 132 Atk / 28 SpD / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Volcanion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Haze
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)