1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Sun Is Strong In NU

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Bluwing, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Bluwing

Bluwing

The Sun Is Strong In NU
    [​IMG]

~Intro~

Hello guys this is my first NU team post here on the forum, and I hope it will be enjoyable. So in NU weather is a very strong strategy to use if played right, offense is the most easy way to go with a sun team due to chlorophyll users. My team is based around a Charizard & Victreebel core that is pretty underused in NU but very devasting when sun is up. So due to sun not beeing a common sight in NU, I found out that I would give it a shot because sun is very fun, and have a lot off abusers here in NU, making me even more stoked to make a team. Also the user Ebeast helped me a little with this team so I just wanna thank him, he is a great player and a awesome guy, but enough about me talking lets start with the team.

~The Team at a Glance~

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

~The Team In Detail~

[​IMG]
    Charizard @ Heat Rock | Solarpower
    Timid | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd | 4 SpD
    Fire Blast | Solarbeam | Sunny Day | Roost

So here is Charizard my main Sun setter, this set is incredibly scary and extremely powerfull when sun is up, Charizard also is very underused in NU due to its huge SR weakness but Roost kinda makes up for that imo. Charizard job is to set up sun sweep and deal huge damage to the opposing team, making a huge offensive pressure on my opponent. Also Charizard has Solarbeam giving him nearly unresisted coverage.

[​IMG]
    Victreebel @ Life Orb | Chlorophyll
    Naive | 252 Atk | 252 Spd | 4 SAtk
    Leaf Blade | Sucker Punch | Weather Ball | Growth

Here is my first Chlorophyll user utilizing the Charizard & Victreebel core which is just to underrated to date. Victreebel can run an extremely strong mixed set in the sun, Growth is boosting both Atk & SAtk that is very op in my oppinion, also Victreebel learns Sucker Punch meaning he can also sweep when the sun is gone which is just great. Leaf Blade is there over Solarbeam so he canstill use his STAB move when the sun is gone, Weather Ball gets an incredibel BP in sun also making it a Fire move, so be carefull when facing this guy you never know what set it runs.

[​IMG]
    Probopass @ Heat Rock | Sturdy
    Modest | 252 HP | 252 SAtk | 4 SpD
    Flash Cannon | Volt Switch | Sunny Day | Stealth Rock

So here is Probopass my bird resist and he does that job very well, due to my team beeing very weak to the likes off Braviary & Swellow I really just needed Probopass to wall them, also Probopass works as a great pivot setting up sun and letting a sun sweeper getting in for free with a slow Volt Switch, which is just great. Probopass also have great synergy with the team too, making him even a better teammate.

[​IMG]
    Exeggutor @ Heat Rock | Chlorophyll
    Modest | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd | 4 HP
    Solarbeam | Psychic | Sleep Powder | Sunny Day

Exeggutor what a fantastic mon you are! In sun he just rocks, Sleep Powder is just so great letting other sweepers set up or let Exeggutor wreck stuff himself, also Solarbeam is great STAB paired with Psychic, he also have that usefull fighting resist too. Sunny Day is there to surprise the opponent also giving him the opportunity to sweep faster mons, or put them to sleep.

[​IMG]
    Emboar @ Choice Scarf | Blaze
    Jolly | 252 Atk | 252 Spd | 4 SpD
    Flare Blitz | Head Smash | Wild Charge | Superpower

So Magmar got swapped for Emboar, this Emboar serves great as Scarfer in sun, I guess you guys only can imagine an sun boosted Flare Blits after a Sap Sipper Pass from Sawsbuck ? Well is quit powerfull and it serves the job better than Magmar as it hits harder and with physical attacks. Head Smash rapes Altaria, and smacks flying types by ease, Wild CHarge hits Alomomola hard and Supepower hits the Rock & Steel's hard.

[​IMG]
    Sawsbuck [Spring] @ Life Orb | Sap Sipper
    Jolly | 252 Atk | 252 Spd | 4 HP
    Horn Leech | Nature Power | Return | Baton Pass

So here is my last sweeper Sawsbuck, he works as a late game sweeper, and does that pretty well. Horn Leech is like the most awesome physical STAB move that gives recovery, Nature Power is a great Sucker Punch lure against Skuntank, also Return is the strongest STAB move he gets after Doubble Edge. Sawsbuck has Sap Sipper to deal wih Amoonguss and other pesky grass moves, he can easely Baton Pass these boost the either Emboar or Victreebel, or even use them himself.

~One Last Glance At The Team~

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

~Some Closing Words~

So that was my sun team, I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. I hope this RMT shows you guys that weather is fun to due to it is a challenge to make one, but showing that it is not impossible to make an okay sun team. So that is all I had to say, so bye and have a nice day further.

Importable
    Show Hide
    Charizard @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Solar Power
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - SolarBeam
    - Sunny Day
    - Roost

Victreebel @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
    Naive Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sucker Punch
    - Weather Ball
    - Growth

Probopass @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Flash Cannon
    - Volt Switch
    - Stealth Rock

Exeggutor @ Wide Lens
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - SolarBeam
    - Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Sunny Day

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Superpower
    - Head Smash
    - Wild Charge

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Horn Leech
    - Nature Power
    - Return
    - Baton Pass
  2. TheArchangle

TheArchangle

May I suggest Scarfed Emboar over Magmar? Your team could use another physical attacker to balance it out, also Emboar is simply more powerful then Magmar.
  3. Bluwing

Bluwing

Well Emboar is great suggestion, but then I dont have Magmar to switch into Amoonguss that can either way Spore me.

Also I changed Exeggutor to a Wide Lense set helping my set up sweepers.
  4. WhiteDMist

WhiteDMist 40 more
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Nice Sun team! While normally filling your team with almost all Grass and Fire types tend to lead to big problems, you've really made this work.

Still, opposing Fire and Flying types give your team huge problems. A Scarf/Sub Roost Charizard would be on of the hugest threats to your team, with the ability to simply Air Slash and Fire Blast to its heart's content. Flareon is a huge stop to most of your team, except for Sawsbuck. The ironic part is that opposing Timid/Modest Exeggutor with Substitute (think the Sub Sunny Day set) can threaten your team pretty easily.

Without changing your team too much, I think that Magmar should be using Hidden Power Rock, which helps with opposing Fire and Flying types much better. While Altaria remains a stop to you, usually you can breeze past it with Sawsbuck regardless. If that doesn't satisfy you sufficiently, I'd replace Flash Cannon with Power Gem on Probopass. Not only will it let you hurt Altaria more, but it also lets you break the Sub of SubBU Braviary, who can set up on Probopass otherwise and inflict some massive damage to your team from behind a Sub.

Now, as for Exeggutor, Wide Lens is a bit pointless since it only helps Sleep Power. Sure, that is a great move, but it only works while Sleep Clause is inactive. Personally, I prefer the Substitute over Sleep Powder on Exeggutor myself. You may lose the ability to put a counter to sleep, but you gain Substitute, which helps out a lot when dealing with dangerous threats like Gardevoir and DITTO! It also lets you have a buffer from attacks, which helps when dealing with the increasingly popular Rain teams (plus you can use Sleep Powder on Victreebel instead).

Changes:

Show Hide
    Magmar: HP Rock>Ice
    Probopass: Power Gem>Flash Cannon
    Exeggutor: Substitute>Sleep Powder

Now, normally I would say that you would be better of removing Magmar for a more powerful sweeper/effective Sun setter. After all, Amoonguss doesn't like switching in on 2/3 of your team anyways. (If you really hate SLeep, just remember that Sawsbuck can also use Sap Sipper just as effectively on a Sun team). I'll hold off on that for now because I believe you need the Speed outside of Sun in order to maintain offensive pressure, but let's see what the other raters think. Good luck and I hope I helped!
  5. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Bear with me as I won't be giving a very in depth rate, since don't play sun very much.

You should probably use Heat Rock over Wide Lens on Exeggutor because you usaully won't be using Sleep Powder more than a few times in a match. From my experience with weather teams, having three Heat Rock users is very useful, especially when two of them are sweepers that will be likely staying in for a long time.

Probopass should be using a Specially Defensive Spread since your main goal is to last as long as possible to set up Stealth Rocks and Sunny Day. This team doesn't need the extra power those Special Attack EVs bring.
  6. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Banned deucer.

Woah. Is that Charizard without Rapid Spin support? No. I also notice that your team has very similar typing, which can hurt in the long run. I suggest you go Supportive Armaldo > Sawsbuck/Victreebel. Armaldo can clear entry hazards from the field, which would threaten your team. Also, Armaldo can learn Sunny Day.

Show Hide

Armaldo @ Heat Rock
    Ability: Battle Armor
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Nature: Impish
    - Rapid Spin
    - Sunny Day
    - Rock Blast
    - Knock Off

Rapid Spin and Sunny Day are the big selling points here. Rock Blast can break through things that try to set up on Armaldo through a substitute, making it a more preferred option than Rock Slide. Finally, Knock Off can knock off the common Leftovers and Eviolite, helping cripple the opponent. Basically, Armaldo is pure support.
  7. Bluwing

Bluwing

I have Exeggutor to take care off SR setters with Sleep Powder, and rocks really arent that big off a problem as Charizard can Roost up most off the time, and its fast enough to pull a Sunny day off before it dies. This team i very offensive and it will break the momentum off my team if I use armaldo, sure its a great suggestion but its just to defensive.
  8. WhiteDMist

WhiteDMist 40 more
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

I have to agree with BROStime, Armaldo doesn't really bring much to the table except a sudden weakness to Rain teams. Rapid Spin wastes precious Sun turns, and you can't afford to let up on your opponent when you are using a Sun team, since the members are not the bulkiest in the tier, and you already waste turns setting up Rocks and Sunny Days of your own. At best, SD Armaldo would be the better choice.
  9. Bluwing

Bluwing

So ive been looking at the rate FLCL, The Archangle and WhiteDMist gave, Sap Sipper Sawsbuck was a great suggestion and it works wonders with Baton Pass, also the Specially defensive spread on Probopass is really great letting him set up Sunny DAy much easier. This did of course open some doors for me, like swapping Magmar for Emboar that can get a Baton Pass from Sawsbuck and wreck havoc like nothing else, also Amoonguss Spore are still walled nicely also letting me take advantage off it. Also changed Exeggutor to a Heat Rock set that FLCL suggested letting the team having constant Sun offense against the defending team.
  10. Zebraiken

Zebraiken neca eos omnes, deus suos agnoscet
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnus

hey there,

this is a rather solid sun team. like any weather team, most of the stuff that plagues you will be most effective when they catch you without sun up (which can actually be quite a lot). you're incredibly weak to rotom-s especially if probo is removed early / SR is prevented from going up; it outspeeds every single one of your pokemon bar victreebel regardless of sun, and it outruns victreebel outside of sun as well. i wouldn't really say that probopass is a good counter for it either especially considering rotom-s can volt switch out of it and send in something else that puts pressure on probo. a simple combination of rotom-s + cb sawk or another hard hitter shreds through your team, as you have nothing that can actually switch into something like cb sawk (it 2hkoes all of your resists). in a similar manner, +2 gorebyss absolutely runs over your team if you give it the opportunity to set up, aka locking yourself into any move other than wild charge with emboar since it lives every other hit and can boost up.

i'd like to suggest a specially defensive volbeat > probopass. imo, it's actually more reliable than probopass at setting up sun thanks to its priority sunny day, and it also acts as a failsafe for stuff like rotom-s and a boosted gorebyss with priority thunder wave. you don't lose your "slow volt switch" into your sweepers either, since volbeat can also utilize a slow u-turn to bring stuff in if needed. encore can also give your team a potential set-up opportunity with victreebel or something and seal you a game. you do lose natural bulk and sr with the exchange, but i don't think either is incredibly necessary for a sun team while the ability to set up sun or paralyze something in a pinch is really very useful. also, bumping exeggutor's nature to timid allows it to outspeed all gorebyss (at +0 and at +2 in sun) and rotom-s. the power difference doesn't net you any specific KOes iirc, so you really don't lose much by switching from modest to timid.

summary (open)
    spD volbeat > probopass
    [​IMG] volbeat @ heat rock | prankster
    careful nature (+spD, -spa) | 248 hp / 8 def / 252 spD
    sunny day / thunder wave / encore / u-turn

timid nature > modest on exeggutor

hope i helped a little bit and gl with your team in the future :toast:
  11. Bluwing

Bluwing

Thank you Zeb ! That is really a great suggestion and ill sure try it out :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)