1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Symphony (A DW OU RMT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by sax king, Dec 4, 2010.

1. sax king

sax king

Music is a big part of my life. My name is Sax King for Christ's sake. A symphony in a way is the melodic blend of several different components to create a larger end product. If you think about, a Pokemon team is the same way. It is the blend of several different qualities and styles to create something much more powerful. My team is a nice blend of several different pokemon. This symphony is not in the top 40's. I made a large effort to create something that was unique and unlike most other teams. This team is supposed to use different pokemon in order to create an endproduct unlike most other players. I give you, the symphony.

Team building:
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    I really like Yanmega. I don't care how badly it's crippled by Stealth Rocks, it's still a great pokemon. This team would be based off of a Yanmega sweep. Now, Yanmega definitely does have issues with Stealth Rock. I would need a reliable spinner. I opted for one of the most widely used spinners in OU, Starmie.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Before continuing any further, I realized that I had to find a counter to the most common playstyle of the fifth generation: weather. And the only way to beat weather is to have it yourself. So I added in Abomasnow because it is capable of killing all of the other weather inducers and abusers.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Great, now I have a gaping weakness to fire attacks. Even though Starmie resists fire, Starmie is frail and can't be relied upon. I realized that one must fight fire with fire, and I needed to complete my F/W/G core. I chose Hihidaruma because I had just watched someone completely destroy my team before with a Hihidaruma.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Alright, things were looking nice. I had a strong lead and a core as well as a late game sweeper. But after another look, this team could not last long. With a combination of recoil, hail, and life orbs, this team doesn't last more than a few turns. I needed a reliable wish passer who could easily switch in. I chose Jirachi, because one of my old teams featured Jirachi.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I looked at my weakness chart and man do I have some glaring weaknesses. I have three pokemon weak to fire and only two resists. I have two pokemon weak to electric and no resists. Two pokemon weak to ground and two resists (who are easily taken down by rock moves). Two psychic types and no pokemon who resists dark or ghost. I needed someone who resisted all of these, and only one pokemon fit the bill.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After a bit of testing, I saw that Sazandora actually wan't pulling its weight. I needed a different Scarfed revenge killer that could switch in. After a suggestion from Steeli, I put in a ScarfChomp.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beethoven (Hihidaruma) (M) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Encourage
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    [​IMG]- Flare Blitz
    [​IMG]- U-turn
    [​IMG]- Rock Slide
    [​IMG]- Superpower
    Hihidaruma is the tempo of the piece. It sets the pace and is the first indicator of the outcome of the match. Hihidaruma is my lead and scout. Hihidaruma packs incredible power with its massive attack stat which is further increased by Encourage. YES I KNOW THAT LIFE ORB RECOIL IS CANCELLED, I WANT A CHOICE SCARF. Encourage boosts the power of both Fire Punch and Rock Slide. I chose Fire Punch over Flare Blitz mostly because I want Hihidaruma to live a little longer. Superpower is for coverage and for a strong move to use on pokemon like Tyranitar. U-Turn is the main move here, however. Unlike many other scouts, Hihidaruma really hurts when he is scouting. U-Turn also does incredible damage on leads like Espeon and Erufuun. Hihidaruma is my basic offensive lead and scout that has pull later in the match as a revenge killer.

Beethoven was one of the most important composers of the Classical Era and left the biggest impact on music. Hihidaruma leaves the biggest impact on the opponent's skull.

[​IMG]

Handel (Starmie) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    [​IMG]- Rapid Spin
    [​IMG]- Thunderbolt
    [​IMG]- Ice Beam
    [​IMG]- Surf

Starmie is the harmony of the piece. It supports the main melody and makes it so much better. It is important to keep Rocks off the field if I am going to use Yanmega. Starmie is my dedicated spinner. It's Starmie's job to make sure that Yanmega can switch in safely. Starmie also clears up some nasty weaknesses that I have. Starmie gets the edge on Gyarados with its fast Thunderbolt and can kill Dragons with its Ice Beam Starmie is in part what holds this team together. I opted not to use Psychic as Yanmega already takes care of Roobushin and other fighting types. There's really not much to Starmie other than that it spins away hazards and can take care of some important pokemon.

Handel's music was well known and influenced composers like Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach. Handel is sort of what helped those famous composers become great. Starmie's spinning is what helps pokemon like Yanmega be great.

[​IMG]
    Bach (Abomasnow) (M) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 140 Atk / 116 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    [​IMG]- Wood Hammer
    [​IMG]- Blizzard
    [​IMG]- Earthquake
    [​IMG]- Hidden Power

Abomasnow is the bridge of the piece. Abomasnow turns the piece around and regains the momentum. Abomasnow turns the piece around and into something else, just as it turns the match around in my favor. The bane to any unprepared team is weather. Not suprisingly, weather is the most common and prominent playstyle in the fifth Gen. Abomasnow is my check against weather teams. It is given a Choice Scarf so that it can kill certain threats to my team like Doryuuzu, Kingdra, and Venusaur. Wood Hammer is to take down both Rain teams and Sand teams. It hits most pokemon on either team for super effective damage and usually OHKO's. Blizzard is another move of choice, as it gets perfect accuracy in Hail. I can often use that against Sand and Sun teams. Earthquake to ensure that I kill fire types on Sun teams and Ninetales itself. It also has great coverage. HP Fire is an interesting move here. It not only takes care of Chlorophyl abusers (though Blizzard is better), but it takes care of Scizor. The nature is to be as quick as possible, while the EVs ensure that I can OHKO Scizor with HP Fire.

Bach is widely regarded as one of the greates composers today, even though his work was not widely recognized at the time. Abomasnow is one of the best weather revenge killers of all time, but people tend to overlook him often.

[​IMG]
    Tchaikovsky (Jirachi) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    [​IMG]- Iron Head
    [​IMG]- Body Slam
    [​IMG]- Wish
    [​IMG]- Stealth Rock
    Jirachi is the percussion of the piece. The percussion not only enhances the piece but ensures that it keeps moving. Jirachi enhances the team and keeps it moving. Jirachi is an odd pokemon on this team. Jirachi fills several extremely specific roles that greatly support the team. Jirachi can usually switch in safely and can pass wishes to those who are weak. In addition, Jirachi can heal itself with Wish. In addition, my team needs entry hazards to ensure inmportant KOs. Jirachi provides the hazards my team needs. Body Slam is to spead paralysis, which certainly makes it easier for many of my pokemon to sweep. Body Slam, when combined with Iron Head, gives the opponent only a 20% chance of attacking anyway. The EVs and nature make me bulky and capable of surviving multiple hits. This gives me more chances to switch in and to heal.

Tchaikovsky and Jirachi have always been oddballs. Tchaikovsky's music was always unique and odd in the sense that critics often dismissed it as simple and lacking depth. Jirachi is odd in the sense that it fills many specific roles and is extremely versatile. Jirachi's Serene Grace also matches many of Tchaikovsky's ballets, like The Nutcracker and Swan Lake.

[​IMG]
    Haydn (Garchomp) (M) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    [​IMG]- Outrage
    [​IMG]- Fire Blast
    [​IMG]- Earthquake
    [​IMG]- Stone Edge

Garchomp is the counter melody of the piece. When accompanied with the main melody is capable of enhancing it and improving it. Garchomp covers many of the weaknesses of this team. It is my third scarfed pokemon of the team. It is mostly meant to sweep alongside Yanmega and to take care of any pokemon not killed by Yanmega. It has great EdgeQuake coverage which can cover many of this team's weaknesses, such as Ulgamoth. It also packs a powerful Outrage and doesn't have to fear Steel types due to both Starmie and Hihidaruma. Fire Blast may seem like an odd choice here, but I chose it because of many of Garchomp's counters. Nattorei is OHKO'd, and Skarmory is 2HKO'd, meaning that the opponent will have to be careful about who it switches in. Garchomp is not only a revenge killer but a late game cleaner, as it tends to clean nicely after Yanmega goes down.

Haydn was a close personal friend of Mozart and one of Mozart's greatest supporters. Garchomp is a close friend of Yanmega and supports it greatly. It cleans up whatever Yanmega can't handle. In addition, Haydn was known for his simple melodies. Garchomp is one of the simpler pokemon on my team, as its goal is just to kill things.

[​IMG]
    Mozart (Yanmega) (M) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    [​IMG]- Bug Buzz
    [​IMG]- Air Slash
    [​IMG]- Hidden Power [Ground]
    [​IMG]- Protect
    Finally, the conductor of the symphony. Yanmega is the driving force behind the composition. Yanmega leads the rest of the team and conducts how they will perform. Yanmega is the star of the team. Yanmega tears through teams like you wouldn't believe. Yanmega's speed quickly grows to ridiculous levels, meaning that once it starts sweeping it is even harder to stop. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are the main STAB moves. They are also incredibly useful against the current metagame. Air Slash takes care of the abundance of fighting types like Roobushin, most of which are OHKO'd. Bug Buzz takes care of the surge of Psychic types who came in to counter the fighting types. Hidden Power gives me great coverage and allows me to take care of fire types like Heatran that attempt to give me a hard time. Even though pokemon with base 140 attack stats were released, Yanmega's 116 SpAtk stat is still sufficient, especially after being boosted by a Life Orb. Yanmega is an often overlooked Speed Boost abuser and threat that tears unprepared teams to pieces.

Mozart is a musical mastermind, being one of the single greatest composers in the Classical Era. Mozart is still considered to be a musical god, and is the center of most classical compositions. Yanmega is the mastermind of this team. Yanmega is the single greatest pokemon on this team and even though it isn't a sweeping god, it is the center of this team and will be treated as the great force behind the whole symphony.

THREATS (I'll post as I encounter them)

[​IMG]After one Butterfly dance, Urugamosu outspeeds my whole team and can kill most of my pokemon. Garchomp can outspeed it, but if Garchomp's gone it's pretty much over.
    [​IMG]Superpower is my only fighting move, therefore being the only move that can take down Porygon2, and even then it only 2HKO's it. Porygon2 walls out the majority of the team can can easily stall my team to nothing.
    [​IMG]Abomasnow can usually take Burungeru out, but after that I may have a bit of trouble. He walls out all the special attackers of the team including Starmie. In addition, Jirachi has to rely on the not very effective Iron Head and Hihidaruma has to rely on Rock Slide. Garchomp can be OHKO'd by Ice Beam variants. Abomasnow is my only check against this pokemon.
    [​IMG]Although I have several pokemon who can handle Tyranitar, bulkier variants tend to cause my team trouble. Most pokemon who can check TTar are OHKO'd back by TTar's STAB moves. That means that Hihidaruma, Starmie, Abomasnow, and Yanmega all must ensure that they OHKO or else they will be killed. Luckily, Garchomp and Jirachi are pretty safe to use against TTar.

I hope you enjoyed my team. Feel free to rate, comment, steal, or suggest anything. Please note that there are certain things I will not replace (such as Yanmega itself).
  2. Jaroda

Jaroda

Three scarfs? Isn't that a little much on top of a Speed Boost Yanmega? You'll be switching so much I really hope you protect your Starmie. In which case, maybe you should make it a support Starmie with Leftovers and maybe something like Reflect as well? Your team is very dependent on there being no SR or other entry hazards.

I'm not really familiar with how an Abomasnow should be but I think you should replace the scarf on either it or Sazandora. If you plan you switch Sazy in to protect the rest of your team, then I think Specs would be more useful to hit the switch in as hard as possible.

Unless you're actually using Brick Break to break screens I think EQ would be better since I don't think BB gets an encourage boost. EQ doesn't either but it's stronger and you get edgequake coverage.

I see you want something to change the weather and provide Wish support. Why not get rid of Jirachi or Abomasnow and use a Hail/Wish Vaporeon. I've been using it so good success. It's really bulky and has no problem switching in to fire or water moves (tread carefully in the sand though), can pass massive Wishes with its HP stat and has no problem using Hail even if it doesn't cause it automatically by switching in. But the benefit to this is against nonweather teams you won't be screwing over the rest of your team with unwanted, permanent Hail damage.

So I think you should replace Abomasnow with Vaporeon and then give the scarf to Jirachi who you can use a more traditional scarf set with Fire Punch and the like. Or anything else for that matter. I run a Calm Mind set on mine.

Interesting team if frail. 7/10
  3. y4f

y4f

Firstly, just a bit of confirmation: do you actually play saxophone? If so, what kind, and what's the basis for your interest in classical music - do you play classical saxophone? In the musical world, I've encountered very few saxophonists with classical interest, considering it's mostly a jazz instrument. Anyways, back to the pokemon.

I played this team on PO, and lost to it, mainly because I predicted terribly and didn't work effectively around his Choice item users. Kudos to your prediction!

I would suggest Flare Blitz over Fire Punch since it's a massive increase in power, and Hihidaruma isn't going to be staying in long anyways. Also, you ARE running a spinner, and Hihidaruma's paper thin defenses are going to be easily broken by any neutral damage STAB move / super effective move - thus the additional damage taken by Flare Blitz is negligible, and the increase in power is well worth it.

I think that you need Ice Beam on Starmie over Psychic. Roobushin isn't nearly as large of a threat as Dragon types. A mixed Salamence with Dragon Dance / Fire Blast / EQ / Outrage will run rampant through your team. If it can switch in on a choiced poke and get up a DD, it outspeeds everything and can survive a prio Ice Shard provided it's bulky enough. EQ for Hihi, Outrage for Sazandora, Fire Blast for Aboma, Outrage for Starmie / Yan, EQ for Jirachi. Also, Ice Beam allows you to take out pokes like Gliscor a lot quicker, which can hit your Abomasnow switchin very hard with Acrobat. For Jirachi, I'd run this set. It achieves the same purpose with more bulk, survivability, and utility:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
    Adamant / Impish nature
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch
    - Wish

This provides great coverage with Fire Punch to hit steels, and Body Slam / Iron Head for paraflinch. Defense EVs means most unstabbed EQs fail to 2HKO, and Body Slam can generally get the better of any sweepers that try to set up.

Also, Fire Punch allows Jirachi to hit CBzor who thinks he can fire off free U-Turns without fear.

Basically, a more effective physical tank Jirachi. Body Slam / Iron Head may provide paraflinch, but it's lackluster coverage.

Good luck with the team (and music)!
  4. Jirachee

Jirachee Nightfall
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

The thing that miss the most to your team are probably entry hazards. Stealth Rocks is easy to put in play, and you already have a pokemon that can place them : Jirachi. Even though it may look suicidal to change Protect for Stealth Rocks, ParaFlinch will often make your opponent unable to move, so it's like a pseudo-protect.

For Yanmega, I think Hidden Power Ground is a superior choice to Hidden Power Fight, since Bug Buzz hits Tyranitar super effectively. Hidden Power Ground deals more damage to Heatran that will switch very often on Yanmega (and you probably know how Heatran is popular now).

Well, this team looks interesting, I'm thinking about something, I'll edit later.
  5. sax king

sax king

Hey guys, thanks for the rates.

@Jaroda
    I actually need to keep Abomasnow because it deals with all types of weather better than Vaporeon, and it needs a scarf to outspeed pokemon like Kingdra. I do like Specs Sazandora, and I used that until I added in Garchomp instead. Starmie has been working for me as an offensive pokemon, so I think I'll keep that as is. As for EQ on Hihidaruma, I like that a lot, but I need to keep my fighting moves.

@y4f
    I guess I'll run Flare Blitz, the power trade off is important. And I'll definitely use Ice Beam on Starmie, because I guess Yanmega has fighting types covered. I like the bulky Jirachi set much more, and Fire Punch helps against stells, but I actually like Stealth Rock a lot more than Fire Punch.
    And of course I play the saxophone! I definitely prefer jazz much more, but names like "Charlie Parker" won't fit on PO, so I had to use classical names.

@Steeli
    Hey thanks for helping out. Stealth Rock definitely works well, and I do already have a psuedo protect so I'll use that. HP Ground works well, but it doesn't provide the same coverage that HP Fight has. I'll try it out though, because Electric types often give Yanmega trouble.
  6. sax king

sax king

I just want a few more comments on my team before it gets lost in the forums.
    More specifically, how can I handle the pokemon in my threats section?
  7. masterful

masterful

Your starmie needs recover, so you need to decide which to keep, Ice Beam or T-Bolt. Since you have 3 scarfs, you need your rapid spinner to be healthy and able to come in again and again
  8. forestflamerunner

forestflamerunner Ain't no rest for the wicked
    is a Pre-Contributor

ok, as for the threats you named, i would recommend first off taking on the hail vaporeon previously mentioned. i know how it checks a bunch of things for you, but permahale with all the ither risidual damage you have and the fact that starmie can easily be picked off by pursuit, you really don't need hail. this will also free up jirachi's teamslot for you, who is no longer needed for wish passing. instead, move it to the lead position and use trick/ironhead/stealth rock/uturn. if you meat a porygon 2 or burenguru, trick the scarf onto it to pretty much shut it down (walls don't like being locked into moves). this displaces hihudurma, which i feal could be replaced by roopushin who can deal with burenguru with payback, ttar with maach punch, and, weakened urugumasu with mach punch. thats the best i can do. take my advice as you please.
  9. Loves_Eo

Loves_Eo

Firstly, to counter that Porygon2 which is extremely annoying, I suggest changing your Jirachi a bit. Jirachi is one of the best pivot points in the whole metagame, and also has wish to boot. This means you can do some damage with U-turn, heal someone with wish, and do it all over again. You also have some extremely frail pokemon, so a slow(er) U-turn is something Jirachi can provide to get in safely with U-turn. I also suggest using Doom Desire on that Jirachi, as it's a vastly underrated move, and U-turn supports both DD and Wish. Last slot can be Protect so he can repeatedly switchin, heal and switch out again, but it's really up to you. Especially since everything that Jirachi covers is already covered, and I find hax Jirachi to be extremely overrated in a world where literally nothing takes much damage from Jirachi anymore and does much more damage than him.

It doesn't especially matter what Ev's you use, but I use 240/18 and 252 SpA.

For example, that Jirachi OHKO's most pokemon with Doom Desire, not even counting that you can use 2 moves in the same turn, virtually guaranteeing a KO on everything except dedicated walls, who still take a chunk of damage, even Evo stone Chansey with max SpDef. Also supports the team with Wish and U-turn, which is amazing.

Jirachi@Life Orb (240 EVs, +Nature) Doom Desire vs Darkrai@Choice Scarf (4/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 104.2 ~ 122.6% (294 ~ 346 HP)

Also, as a weather counter, Aboma is fine, but I suggest you use Soundproof to prevent phazing and Avalance or Ice Punch instead of Blizzard (Avalance will double to Base 120 Power if Aboma is hit) making it more powerful than Blizzard by far, and Aboma is relatively bulky enough to take a hit from a weather team. I know he no longer changes the weather which sucks, and it's your choice, but I still suggets using Avalance instead of Blizzard and using Brick Break instead of HP Fire, since it's basically useless as you now have excellent coverage, hitting 13/17 types SE.
  10. sax king

sax king

Um, I really still don't use this team any more, this was posted on December 4th

But I do find Haxrachi to be much more effective than all other Jirachi variants, and to be honest, Haxrachi is still an excellent pokemon. It also needs the Rocks, so I can't replace that. Body Slam also supports the team well by clearing the way for other pokemon to sweep. So the current set I have is fine.

Also, the whole reason that Abomasnow is a good weather counter is because of Snow Warning. Soundproof literally makes him useless.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)