1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Team of Champions (first)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Tuchpi, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

Since I have 2 VCG's coming up, what better to do than post my possible team to Smogon?

[​IMG]

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 SpAtk / 4Spd
    Modest Nature (+SpAtk -Atk)
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunder
    -Thunder Wave
    -Volt Switch​

This guy is what led me to make the rest of the team. He's full of win and bulky, which is a statistic I like, frail attackers always seem to upset me. He is basically put in every match-up no matter what, Rotom-W is the star of the team. Most of the team can work around having Rotom-W in the field, especially Politoed with Drizzle support to allow 100% STAB Thunder and boost STAB Hydro Pumps. Thunder Wave has proven to be extremely useful in hindering many big threats that come along the way, while Volt Switch gives me good versatility in what I can use if something is too threatening, even for Rotom-W.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Flying Gem
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 248 Spd / 8 Hp
    Jolly Nature (+Spd -SpAtk)
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Acrobatics
    -Bug Bite​

With Rotom-W, the core, sporting Volt-Switch, Scizor presents a good partner since they both have moves that can hit really hard, then switch back to anyone else that I would need. Having Volt-Switch with U-Turn on the field at the same time can cause good momentum keeping my opponent in check. He's also a big advantage to sand teams because of the steel sub-typing, him and Metagross can make quite the team if ever need be. Bug Bite can steal and "waste" the weakness berries opponents will having letting Metagross or Rotom-W OHKO them. Superpower could work against sand while keeping Metagross' weakness' in check.

[​IMG]

Kingdra @ Haban Berry
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
    -Hydro Pump
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Draco Meteor
    -Protect​

In the situation that I would face other rain based teams, this is the guy I'd go for next to Rotom-W, knowing that my opponent will have there own Politoed on the front lines. Against other weather teams, he'd be in the front lines with Politoed sweeping. But with Trick Room teams on the other hand, Kingdra will take a back seat since he WILL be hindered by Trick Room set-up, but it would give Politoed and Rotom-W to go in front and wreck. Draco Meteor acts as a last resort or nuke if need be. Hydro Pump gets STAB alongside Drizzle making it a force to be reckoned with, not to mention Swift Swim making it VERY fast.

[​IMG]

Politoed @ Iron Ball
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 SpAtk / 4 Spd
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf
    -Protect​

Giving other weather teams a run for there money with Iron Ball, Politoed goes well with Rotom-W and Kingdra, supporting either with Drizzle whether it's against Trick Room, Tailwind or other weather teams. Politoed can also support Volcarona giving him a 100% with Hurricane, thus eliminating the need to work with Fire Blast. He can't support the others sadly, but usually when Politoed is in, he supports the member next to him. Ice Beam could over up grass types if I ever see any, giving Rotom-W the time to sweep the other team-mate. Scald is absolutely awesome, giving water types the chance to burn others.

[​IMG]

Volcarona @ Focus Sash---taking out.
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
    -Hurricane
    -Fire Blast
    -Bug Buzz
    -Protect​

This guy rules whether he's in the rain or the sun, both present good opportunities to abuse either Hurricane or Fire Blast. With Hurricane getting 100% in the rain, it's worth putting in since Politoed works with the core of the team. Bug Buzz is there as a STAB moves and very good. Protect, obviously for Rock Slide or anything else that can OHKO the frail fiery insect. He would survive the worst in a sandstorm, so this is where the boss comes in...

[​IMG]

Metagross @ Occa Berry
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk)
    -Bullet Punch
    -Meteor Mash
    -Ice Punch
    -Zen Headbutt​

Meet the tank, the big boy, whatever you want to call him, he is super slow but can pack a powerful punch! Having it made in the shade against sand or Trick Room teams, he either becomes the fastest guy on the field or invulnerable to sandstorms nasty effects. Ice Punch is there for the crazy dragons or the obvious sandstorm team, giving Metagross coverage to either, eliminating the fact that it doesn't have Earthquake on it. In the rain, Metagross greatly supports Volcarona covering it's rock weakness and water with priority Bullet Punch.

Sun Politoed, Rotom-W, Volcarona, Kingdra
    Rain Kingdra, Rotom-W, Volcarona, Metagross
    Sand Politoed, Rotom-W, Scizor, Metagross
    Trick Room Politoed, Rotom-W, Metagross, Scizor

I'm looking forward to the help I'll get from this awesome community! Thanks in advance!
  2. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

If possible, expand your descriptions a bit. Explain how your Pokémon all work together (Rotom-W's description was pretty good in this regard), what you do to counter which major threats, why you chose the movesets you did, and so on.

Choice Scarf on Scizor probably isn't the best idea - Choice items usually don't work well in doubles (switches are harder to pull off safely, and once you lose two Pokémon you can't switch at all) unless you're trying to counter a specific threat or the Pokémon in question can get away with spamming the same move over and over. Pursuit is virtually worthless for similar reasons. If you're going to keep the scarf, I'd switch it for Bug Bite so you have a more powerful move late game, or either Protect or Acrobatics+Flying Gem if you get rid of the scarf.

Kingdra really doesn't need Ice Beam - it gets redundant coverage with Dragon Pulse, especially since the dragons with 4x weaknesses usually run Yache. Draco Meteor would probably be the best option so that you have a nuke button handy for tight situations. I'd also recommend Hydro Pump over Surf, since a lot of your team doesn't like being hit by it.

Volcarona should probably have Fire Blast instead of Heat Wave, because you want as much power as possible to compensate for the rain. It really doesn't have the bulk or typing to use Rage Powder properly and Rock Slide is everywhere, so definitely give it Protect.

Hardy is a terrible nature on everything, Metagross included. If you really want a shiny one, there are plenty of RNGers on here who would be happy to provide you with an Adamant one instead. I'd also suggest Zen Headbutt instead of Earthquake - the latter is surprisingly weak with the spread modifier and no STAB, another Fighting counter is always useful, and without either Zen Headbutt or one of the elemental punches it's kind of redundant with Scizor.
  3. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

Thanks a ton Voodoo! I'll start making the necessary changes!

EDIT; finished the changes, works like a dream.
  4. Drifblim

Drifblim

along with what Voodoo said, i would have to say I don't like the idea of a Fire type such as Volcarona on a Rain team. It might work well, but the huge nerf to Volcarona's powerful Fire type attacks, and the boosted power of any Water type move the opponent may have, make the idea somewhat counterintuitive. There is such thing as a pokemon that doesn't rely too heavily upon weather, but aside from Hurricane Volc kind of hates Rain being up. I can't think of any specific replacements, the team looks like it covers its own weaknesses very well.

On Politoed, your moveset feels a bit off. It gets walled by Water types, and you don't want opposing ones to use your own Rain agianst you. I think choosing either Scald OR Surf, and replacing it for Psychic, or maybe an HP Power type of choice. Surf should probably be the one to go, not much of the team likes getting hit by it though most can Protect.

Hmm U turn on Scizor won't always be helpful, sometimes he could stay around then clean up with Bullet Punch the next turn. so many Speed EVs won't even help that much, key things like Chandelure can still outrun you. Acrobatics+Flying Gem was a fine suggestion, but either way fitting on protect never hurts. Superpower's stat lowering effects get to be a real issue, and should be avoided if possible.

Metagross' moveset is begging to be walled by Water and Steel types. Zen Headbutt could really help, giving a good way to OHKO Htop and other more occasional Fighting types.
  5. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

I'm not very sure what to put in because Volcarona isn't going very well, Kabutops seems like a solid option, Swift Swim and it has access to Rock Slide which works wonders in doubles.

Thoughts?
  6. voodoo pimp

Something to deal with sun teams (everything except Kingdra is weak to either Fire or Grass) and Ferrothorn (it walls your team pretty hard without Volcarona) would be good. A bulky Fighting-type, maybe?
  7. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

The only fighting types that I can think of would be Breloom and Terrakion, but both are frail to Sun, any options for anti-sun?
  8. voodoo pimp

Maybe Hariyama? Lots of bulk, Fake Out, and both of its abilities are good against sun (Thick Fat for a Fire resist, or Guts to ignore Sleep Powder).
  9. Drifblim

Drifblim

Terrakion is somewhat anti-sun thru its Rock type moves and the fact it is pretty fast. The only Sun pokemon that will outrun him are Chlorophyll users. But Chrolophyll users are an important thing to counter, they have potential to murder most of your pokes
  10. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

I might stick with Hariyama with Thick Fat, he can also be switched into potential blizzards from abomasnows.

Fake Out
    Ice Punch
    Rock Slide
    Wide Guard?
  11. Ignitrua

Ignitrua

If you're going to go with Hariyama, the set I suggest is:

Hariyama @ Flame Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
    -Fake Out
    -Low Kick/Cross Chop/Close Combat
    -Bullet Punch
    -Ice Punch/Rock Slide/Wide Guard
    Bullet Punch is very helpful priority ^_^
  12. Terraquaza

Terraquaza You chegger?
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Terrakion sounds pretty cool against Sunteams, you should play Scizor (Adamant) with 248 hp / 252 atk /8 speed and Bug Bite>U-turn, it doesnt need that much speed and try Perish Song on Politoed, sometimes it really helps you in some x-2 situations.

Latios fits great because its pretty good against Sun and Thundurus.
  13. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

I'm thinking of Ludicolo, he can take hits from sun teams and has swift swim.
  14. voodoo pimp

Well, Ludicolo can kinda take hits from them, but can't really do anything back.
  15. Baz Anderson

Baz Anderson

This team might not appreciate coming across a Gastrodon...
  16. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

It's going to be so hard breeding for this x_x
  17. Tuchpi

Tuchpi

Procrastination here, since my VGC is held in 3 days, I will cram, meaning no politoed or impossible to breed Hariyama, I do however have Rotom-W and Kingdra waiting (he still needs draco meteor) and a adamant beldum which will BE NOT learning Ice Punch, but rather EQ for a good core with Rotom-W, oh god.. I am not ready Q_Q

Any help? I already have a hardy metagross (ev trained) but that's about it. Goodstuff ahoy!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)