NOC The Thing Mafia [Check Anon Forum For Status]

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Setup originally created by TinCow at totalwar.org, later re-used by Visorslash at MafiaUniverse.com. Hosted by Walrein.

For those of you who haven't seen John Carpenter's excellent 1982 film The Thing, the basic gist of it is that a shapeshifting alien kills off the members of a research base one by one while assuming their identities.

As it turns out, this makes an excellent excuse for a game of mafia.

So here's the deal. This game will be 100% anonymous. That means that not only will we be playing under aliases on an offsite forum, but the playerlist won't be publicized, and sign-ups should be messaged directly to me rather than posted in this thread. Don't talk to others about signing up or planning to sign up - if you do, I'm just gonna crumple up your signup and throw it out the window. This game has 17 players, and slots will be first come, first served.

THE SETUP: is fairly simple.
14 x vanilla town
3 x vanilla mafia

So what's the catch? Each night, the mafia may use one of two different kill options:
1. kill a dude normally
2. perform an assimilation kill. One of the mafia team's original aliases will flip, the player behind a target account will be killed, and access to that account will be given to the mafioso whose alias flipped. Essentially, you kill someone and assume their identity.

"Oh, so THAT's why we're playing with aliases."

To protect the effectiveness of the assimilation kill, nightkilled alias's alignments will not be revealed upon flip. This does not apply to lynches.

Oh, and DON'T claim your identity when in-game. Don't speculate on others' identities. "I have an alias read on X and because of it I think they're town" is fine, but don't elaborate beyond that. This game is anonymous for a reason.

Other mechanics:
48 hour days, 24 hour nights.
NO majority lynches - all lynches will occur via a plurality of votes at deadline.
Mafia members will be able to communicate with each other at all times.
It's NOC, so don't talk outside the thread.
Standard Circus and NOC mafia rules apply.
If you're a confused newbie, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

This is gonna be a boring signup thread, but it'll be one hell of a fun game. As the title says, game starts at 11 PM CDT on 8/4; you have until an hour prior to that to sign up. If the game fills rapidly, I may start early, but this will be announced ahead of time.

CURRENT SIGNUP COUNT: 17/17

current sub count: 4

Last edited:

Ampharos

One signup away from being able to start without siphoning from the sub/low priority pool!

Side note, since I forgot to ban this in the OP: cryptoclaiming is banned. Ciphers are banned. Any form of posting something with the intent of pointing to it later to prove that you're still you is banned. It's against the spirit of the game and the spirit of the game is what makes this setup fun.

Ampharos

The private forum can be found here. I'm going to start sending out account info now, and will be posting when I've finished doing so. Everyone should be aware of whether or not they're in the game; however, this will clear up any remaining confusion.

Role PMs have already been sent on the forum, but the game thread will remain locked until the scheduled start time.

Too easy a joke to make. Also in the movie they apparently pronounce it like puke.

I told you guys to watch out for Fuchs if he sticks around and votes weirdly. I was too obvious to live though lol

GG scum team.

Would have tried to solve the game more in the short period when I was alive but the activity was non-existent.

Funny how I ended up being correct on Blair for entirely the wrong reasons, heh.

I thought that Dr. Copper/Fuchs was the scumteam for a second there after hammer which made me feel like shit but luckily I now know that I am just regular bad; whew, disaster averted.

Fuchs' play made me wanna puchs

If you don't grab the low hanging fruit you starve in this world my friend
Yeah, I definitely should have pushed him harder because I knew there was something wrong there.

I knew it about Norris.
Fucked up there too when I coulda pushed it harder on D5. Mafia is hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)