Project The Top 10 Titans of the 6th Gen OU Metagame

Latios was considered a liability at the beginning of XY and didn't really take off until Mega Mawile and Aegislash got banned ( late XY ). While good in ORAS, giving the king of OU ( of XY) a free switch in kinda counts against it. Plus, most things early XY like Mega Kanga, Mega Mawile, Mega Sableye, Mega Lucario and Greninja all easily beat it.
Just saying, Latios was A Rank even with Aegislash and Mega Mawile in the metagame, and Mega Sableye didn't exist in early XY.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just saying, Latios was A Rank even with Aegislash and Mega Mawile in the metagame, and Mega Sableye didn't exist in early XY.
but the truth is that once the more popular sets of aegislash took off (particularly pursuit and mixed), psychic types in general just became a major disadvantage to have in the team and this occurred iirc during mid / late xy. ORAS in general is where latios truly shined because the infamous lati keld trap core came back into power after it's more offensive counterpart lando-i got banned (anyone remembers LKT from BW?). sure, latios can still be seen as a top tier threat from xy to oras just based on it's traits alone, but i don't think latios is the one that truly stood out. instead it was keldeo that gave lati an even greater chance to shine due to it's ability to soft check keld (by being a water resist) and also helps keld by getting rid of it's more relevant threats and vice versa.

Therefore, my vote will go to Keldeo on this.

Oh my actual frickers why do people insist Clef is more influential than the likes of deo-s or Lando-I? I've said this multiple times but really you prepped for one fairy you prepped for clef most of the time. It's an annoying fuck but really not as influential as other potential noms. It's at least slightly overhyped for how influential it was tbbh.

I'm going to vote Landorus-Incarnate, forced teams to run stuff like Sp.Def Gliscor and Skarm until Lando users used HP Ice on AoA for Gliscor and Focus Blast for Skarm. Then people realised it was broken and was pretty much THE wallbreaker up until it's ban, the likes of which would not be seen until Hoopa-U, who even then couldn't run Rock Polish to give Offense the middle finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: zbr

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No, Clefable was over-hyped when it was being voted for first, second, fourth etc. At this stage it actually warrants the votes. While prepping for it in the teambuilder is hard enough as-is (the only way to actually counter it is fairy resist with a T-wave immunity), where it really shows how influential it is is when you build with it. In one slot you can blanket an absolutely insane number of Pokémon, you can fill a huge number of roles effectively from SR to win-con to speed control to sponge and anything in-between, and it's ability to ease off teambuilding as immensely, and exerting as much pressure as it does is really just the cherry on the cake. This 'mon is pretty much Mr/Ms Balance, if you ask people to say the first OU 'mon they can think of a very large proportion will say Clefable, and all in all it is really hard to say that it's being overhyped at this stage.

No, Clefable was over-hyped when it was being voted for first, second, fourth etc. At this stage it actually warrants the votes. While prepping for it in the teambuilder is hard enough as-is (the only way to actually counter it is fairy resist with a T-wave immunity), where it really shows how influential it is is when you build with it. In one slot you can blanket an absolutely insane number of Pokémon, you can fill a huge number of roles effectively from SR to win-con to speed control to sponge and anything in-between, and it's ability to ease off teambuilding as immensely, and exerting as much pressure as it does is really just the cherry on the cake. This 'mon is pretty much Mr/Ms Balance, if you ask people to say the first OU 'mon they can think of a very large proportion will say Clefable, and all in all it is really hard to say that it's being overhyped at this stage.
Eh, I guess, I just find it somewhat criminal that there are 'mons like Lando-I who forced very specific 'mons and severely punished misplays or lack of preparation for one single coverage option not being voted higher than Clef. Clef's a great Pokemon though, there's no doubt about it.

Reactions: zbr

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Surprised there aren't many votes for Mega-Mawile or Landorus-I

Anyways, my vote goes to Mega Mawile again

Ehhhh with all these nominations (which make sense, I'm not trying to trash them), I feel like having a "top ten titans" list that ONLY consists of currently non-banned stuff might also be a good idea.

Keldeo. When a mon is consistently used over monsters like manaphy and azumarill it shows how dominant a threat it is even though its well prepared for in the meta. Show me one successful team w/o a keldeo switchin.

p2

Banned deucer.
lando-i

actually would it be possible to incorporate multiple votes at this stage because theres a load of stuff that competes for the last few slots here and it would be a lot closer, imo anyway.

Keldeo
He's a really convenient pokemon in teambuilding, bringing a weav + tran check, a special wallbreaker able to destroy chansey etc and only needs the removal of Latis and things like Starmie to destroy things.

Clefable.

Oh my actual frickers why do people insist Clef is more influential than the likes of deo-s or Lando-I? I've said this multiple times but really you prepped for one fairy you prepped for clef most of the time. It's an annoying fuck but really not as influential as other potential noms. It's at least slightly overhyped for how influential it was tbbh.

Why does this keep getting repeated. A general fairy check does not work for Clefable because it's most prominent moveset (Magic Guard+Calm Mind) fourth slot will either fuck over or cripple most checks. Meaning you can't just throw 1 check for it on a team and say "done" unless you're incredibly lucky. You need at least 2 to be sure.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps. Could you expand on this?
what i understand is that instead of one person voting for one, we can vote for up to two or maybe even three titans that we want to see on the list. this way you get more variety of mons being selected for the list. the voting system would still stay the same where only the mon with the most votes would go onto the list. makes for more competition as well as widening the view of people who narrow down the list based on what they view to be effective in oras only (as seen by the large amount of people voting for clef / lando during the top 3 as well as a general lack of people voting for lando-i and mmawile and other threats like deo-s and whatnot).

Clefable.

Why does this keep getting repeated. A general fairy check does not work for Clefable because it's most prominent moveset (Magic Guard+Calm Mind) fourth slot will either fuck over or cripple most checks. Meaning you can't just throw 1 check for it on a team and say "done" unless you're incredibly lucky. You need at least 2 to be sure.
really you prepped for one fairy you prepped for clef most of the time.
Also note that I never said you have to switch in like you implied (and you use the word check over and over, which doesn't have to switch in necessarily). It's still prep nonetheless, and ofc if your fairy check consists of Skarm (for example) you'll have issues with Clef, Skarm is an shitty Clef check tbh. Everyone knows what Clef can do with that last moveslot lol. Neither did I say prep is always just one 'mon, though tbh I kind of implied that so eh. Please don't try to put words in my mouth, though, or at least read the text you're criticising a little bit more.

EDIT: oml I never even adressed the complaint itself lmao

I speak from experience and can honestly say that with only one Fairy check on my team, the average for me, I've never had any issues with Clef yet. Furthermore, some of the more popular teams only have one. The Banded Terrakion SPL squad from a while back? Only one Clef check. ABR stall? One clef check (Skarm) EDIT: 2 lol, Amoongus. ABR/Blunder Mega Cham? One Clef check. Granted these are all from the sample teams thread but the point still stands, and afaik only successful teams get into the spot I've been picking these teams from. I feel you're exaggerating Clef's effectiveness/amount of Clef checks you need to be successful here just a little bit, that or you've been exceedingly unlucky with it, in which case I feel bad for you :(

Last edited:
what i understand is that instead of one person voting for one, we can vote for up to two or maybe even three titans that we want to see on the list. this way you get more variety of mons being selected for the list. the voting system would still stay the same where only the mon with the most votes would go onto the list. makes for more competition as well as widening the view of people who narrow down the list based on what they view to be effective in oras only (as seen by the large amount of people voting for clef / lando during the top 3 as well as a general lack of people voting for lando-i and mmawile and other threats like deo-s and whatnot).
Yeah, I'd be okay with something like that for the last two votes. I'll iron out the details and make an announcement when I start the next round later tonight.

Keldeo
Because honestly, I've never played with Lando-I and I don't want to vote for something that I don't have personal experience with. Keldeo is half the reason why amoongus and tangrowth are popular (the other half is azumaril for those that don't know).
But some sort of fairy needs to get on this list at some point simply because of how defining the type was as a whole.

Clefable: 15
Keldeo: 9
Mega Mawile: 3
Landorus-I: 2
Bisharp: 2
Latios: 2
Deoxys-S: 1

Clefable is the winner! With its stats, wide movepool, and fantastic abilities, Clefable has long been a shining example of what the Fairy type can do. Despite enduring periods where the metagame was defined by powerful Steel Pokemon like Genesect, Aegislash, Mega Mawile, and Mega Metagross, Clefable remained a very solid OU choice. Once players started to fully open up its many options (namely the excellent Thunder Wave set), it quickly became regarded as the best Pokemon in the metagame, and it has been a dominant force ever since.

Voting for #9
As we discussed earlier, for this round, we're going to do things a little differently. Because of the wide number of influential Pokemon fighting over just a couple of remaining slots, everyone can now vote for up to three Pokemon at once. Every vote will be counted the same, so don't worry about trying to order your selections.

Also, I just wanted to toss out a couple of reminders. First, please don't use bold text unless you're voting for a Pokemon. It gets a little annoying when I'm trying to count votes. On that same note, please do use bold text for your vote, as this makes it easier to count votes among the non-vote discussion posts. Finally, I want to remind everyone that voting ends at 6:00 PM (EST). This was established a couple of rounds back, and I've disqualified a couple of votes over the past couple of rounds that were submitted after 6:00. Thankfully they haven't made a difference, but that might not be the case in the last two rounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)