The Tri-Server Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Some people may've heard various things about a tournament coming up between the three major modded servers: AA's, Captain's, and (best of all:) Doug's. The tournament will be organized by eric the espeon (regrettably being neutral in the tourney), and will take place over the Summer months; ending in early August. There has been talk of Pokemonexperte entering the tournament, but nothing else has been heard about it so far.

Basic rules of the tournament:

-Each server will have an eight-man team.

-The battles will take place on a random server out of those entering. This means that at any one time, you might need to be prepared for play on Doug's, Captain's, or AA's metagame.

-Each server will be able to choose whatever rules (so long as they apply to everyone equally) and modifications they like, and will provide a full list of modifications and rules that are in effect.

The CAP-Squad:

After various scoutings, Doug's CAP server has organized an eight-man squad to play in the tournament:

-Magmortified
-Alphabet_Soup
-Cooper
-Sunday
-Lil Ant (aka Cuteslims)
-Poopazing
-Hybrid
-Yoni (aka Gouki)

Current Subs:
-Hero.
-Jonathan.

Note that this list is subject to change at any time and the lineup of the CAP team may change over the course of the tournament. Applications may be made in this thread, or through PM.

Policy on Subbing:

"Subbing someone in" to replace a player who will not be able to get their match done will be allowed, but they should be announced by the team leader before the round goes up.

Captain's Team:

Currently speculated to be:

-Captain
-Bass
-Sonaxy
-Tennisace0227
-Plus
-Spanky
-Bobtheball4

Waiting:
-Dixie Normas (aka SkarmBliss Counter)
-Minus

AA's Team:

Currently, there's nothing totally concrete on it. At least from what I can tell. Edits will be made as information becomes available.

Special Rules for playing on Doug's Server:

There hasn't currently been any talk on this - or even if Special Rules should be implemented at all. If something's been decided, it'll be edited in here.

The Tournament Schedule:

According to eric, the tournament plan will run out like this:

12th of July
Round 1 (32 people at the start)
Single Elimination, Randomized pairings and server to battle on.
Lose your match and you're out.

19th of July
Round 2 (16 people at the start)
Randomized pairings, you play your opponent once on all servers, whoever has more wins is through. If it is a draw go to sudden death*.
Lose more than you win and you're out.

26th of July
Round 3 Semi-Final (8 People at the start)
2 Groups of 4, everyone plays everyone in their group. The server that each match will take place on will be posted.
Top 1 from each group go through. If there is a draw for first then those who are drawing for 1st will face each other, the server that each match will take place on will be posted.
Unless you come first you are out here.

2nd of August
Round 4 The Final (2 people at the start)
The finalists will play each other in an epic battle, one match on each server that neither of them are from, but 3 on those that their team is from. If it is a draw go to sudden death*.
Lose here and you get 2nd place.

*In sudden death a RNG is used to pick a server that nether of the players are from, so that one player does not have a massive advantage in this key stage.

The dates - according to eric - are subject to change if an unforeseen problem occurs, but otherwise, practice with those dates in mind.

Discuss. =D

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I know it's weird for some people on the server that I decided to join Captain's team, but I hope this will be fun all the same... Although I have a bias being on Captain's side, I think we will end up being the most well prepared team based on our training sessions so far.

So in conclusion Mag:
YOU GUYS ARE GOING DOOOOOOOOWN.

That is all. Best of luck for everyone.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The main thing I would say is that I hope to get 4 servers not 3, it would make the rounds much more simple.
Dusty Hills or Pokemonexperte are the two servers that I may invite to join.

Ok here are the important posts I made in the other server's topics:
(Here and Here)

I am organizing a cross-metagame cross-server tournament called "Battle of the Servers" in mid-early July, Captain's have already agreed to join, and it looks probable that AA's will enter. I plan to ask ether Dusty Hills (quite small right now, no full mod list) or Pokemonexperte (they speak german which may prove annoying but its nothing that Google translator can't fix) to join. I have spoken with Colin and he has not shown interest, so official will not be joining.

The tournament would take place across all servers involved, so with 3 servers you would have a 1/3 chance of playing on each server for each match, with 4 it would be 1/4. People joining this tourney would have to learn (to some extent, you don't have to become really good) the metagame of all other servers involved, and all other teams would have to learn your metagame. Adaptability will be the key to victory.

Each server would be able to chose whatever rules (so long as they apply to everyone equally) and modifications they like, but would have to provide a full list of the changes they have made to the game and rules/clauses that are in affect.

Some of this stuff is in the OP, but some is not so...

The plan for the structure of the tourney (It assumes 4 teams of 8, if less/more servers join it will be adjusted, 3 or 5 teams will be harder but I can manage) may be changed based on suggestions from all servers.

New rule, always respect the rules and stuff of other servers.
If you get banned for an opponents server its your own fault, however if someone is banned so that they can't do their battle without breaking a rule the server that banned them may be DQ'd for cheating.
Think carefully and save logs if you plan to ban a member of an opposing team. The same goes for doing dumb stuff on other teams servers, always remember to read their rules.

I'll be rooting (and watching as much as I can) for the CaP Server Team. If there's ever a battle on our server, destroy them with Revvy!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
do you mind if i use that picture on another forum im an admin of? i'd use it here but it would be wasted as a link.

yea im fighting for captains, mainly because doug's doesnt need me.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The sooner we get an exact list of the modifications made to each server (and maybe a synopsis of how they affect the metagame) the better.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The sooner we get an exact list of the modifications made to each server (and maybe a synopsis of how they affect the metagame) the better.
AA's and Captain's lists of modifications, I don't know if ether have a guide to adjusting to their metagame, but if you play a few of them you can work it out.

Dusty Hill's does not have a full list of mods as of yet, this is the main reason I have not officially invited them (also I don't know if they can get an 8 player team together atm).

Pokemon Experte is the other server that I may invite if no one has much objection to playing people who use a different language. They have not done any mods (as far as I am aware) so will not need to provide a list.
You can use this to translate stuff on their site.

Edit: Just found this server, another possible.

Of course Pokemonexperte willingly joins this tourney. Indeed we have to nominate our players first, but all of them will be able to speak english too - you can also start english topics in the forum. Currently there are no modifications built in. If you affirm your invitation, we'll give you all details asap.

Greets - Martin, Server Operator

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
guess that settles it. martin, you and all of your server are welcome to test on our servers, just try to speak English because some mods will kick you if you dont. its ok if you cant speak that well, but whatever you do, dont ask for battles in the mainchat.

can dusty hills still start a team?

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
New metagames are scary.

That's the main problem with this tourney :(

Desipte this I look foreawrd to learning AA's metagame, it seems quite inventive. Yay for "UU's" in OU!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know it's weird for some people on the server that I decided to join Captain's team, but I hope this will be fun all the same... Although I have a bias being on Captain's side, I think we will end up being the most well prepared team based on our training sessions so far.

So in conclusion Mag:
YOU GUYS ARE GOING DOOOOOOOOWN.

That is all. Best of luck for everyone.
*loads up NK rifle*

Eat the power of Plusbus and his parsley zombies.:happybrain:

Gogo CMS

eric the espeon

Right since I don't think ether of the other servers are lightly to grow enough/have a full mod list by the time the tourney starts, and no one has had serious objections to Pokemon Experte joining, yes you may join.

Please start a thread on your forum about this tournament and pick your team, remember that your players will have to learn how to play on other servers, some of which have vary odd rules and modifications.

tennisace0227 said:
can dusty hills still start a team?
I don't think that it would be a good idea, we have 4 teams the ideal number IMO and I doubt they will be able to put together a team as many of there players have joined others servers already.
They would also need to provide a full and complete list of modifications, something they lack right now but could probably manage.

New metagames are scary.

That's the main problem with this tourney :(

Desipte this I look foreawrd to learning AA's metagame, it seems quite inventive. Yay for "UU's" in OU!
The whole idea of this Tournament is to get people to try metagames they whould otherwise never learn, and to see who is the best of course.

also lol@Plus

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Just something to consider, why not make the matches best of 3, with one match being played on each server?

eric the espeon

mm....
I don't think I will have time to rewrite the rounds right now, but that sounds like a good idea.
However we have 4 servers.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<_< That was bigger than I expected. Doug, edit it as you see fit.

ON TOPIC: I also agree with Dekzeh. Random battles on random servers is going to be pretty tough, considering if one player gets an unfair advantage over the other due to servers. If PE does infact join, then we should take into consideration the pairings of contestants. For example, if I was matched up with Cooper, then we should fight in 3 servers: Doug's (cooper), Captains (Plus), and a random server (AA's or PE)

Neonyoshiegg1408 has been replaced by Spanky. This is due to the fact that Neon seems unable to get his matches done.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
-Captain
-Bass
-Sonaxy
-Tennisace0227
-Plus
-Spanky
-Bobtheball4

This is the new lineup Mag.

-Captain
-Bass
-Sonaxy
-Dixie Normas (Skarmbliss counter)
-Plus
-Spanky
-Bobtheball4

Yeah, Tennis has been replaced.

tennisace

Suprisingly it was volentary. I have wayyyy too much to do this summer, and wont have time to learn 2 metagames, make 4 teams, and test them.

We'll have our list of players in the next few days (maybe even tomorrow), and we're generally set to go. Those looking to prepare to play the AAMS metagame should check this out. http://s13.zetaboards.com/AA_Mod_Server_Forum/topic/104613/1/ That contains all rules (our uber list is much shorter than standard's) and modifications from standard. A lot of Pokemon are really different, and the design philosophy is all about equality among Pokemon. However, it follows the basic ideas of standard; the types are the same, and the same sorts of roles are used. You don't have to rethink how the game works to play it (much unlike with Captain's far more radical set of modifications on his server).

What are the rules being used for your server? Obviously the only modification is the three new Pokemon thing, but is your uber list the same as the standard smogon one? This is just an indirect way of asking whether Wobbuffet is allowed really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)