The Underdog Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah so i have completely failed and made a horrid team using shelmet and whiscash, so im starting over with some new mons and a new alt. :P

PS! Username: RioMustard
Underdog mons: Shelmet, Grumpig, Sneasel, and RIOLU
Current ranking: 574 (Won my first battle)

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
User: shuckleking8
Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
nu 1655 76 1801 ± 79 (provisional) 22 11 0

So so far, not horrible for an all underdog team.

Illumise: Gets the job done similar to older brother. If I had to choose between them, volbeat does have a stronger u-turn, so that would be my preference, but illumise can still take a life orb rock blast from cinccino. Volbeat is still better though.

Victrebel: Amazing under the sun, and is the fastest viable special attacker with chlorophyll in nu. Solar beam+ sludge bomb+ weather ball coupled with a life orb does tremendous damage, and very few pokemon can take 2 direct hits (hypno is best counter I've encountered.)

Shiftry: While Victerbel is my preferred chlorophyll user, shiftry can operate despite the weather, especially with a stabbed sucker punch. I prefer to save this in the mid to later game to nab some sucker punch kills, especially fro golurk, gardevoir and cinccino. Bulky grass types do cause trouble for shiftry.

Magmar: Choice specs magmar can be a beast, especially when the opponent expects a weak choiced scarfed or eviolite version. One of the better counters to ammonguss, as it can absorb spore and ohko with fire blast, Garbador, who is 2HKO by fire blast or psychic, or alomomola, who is 2HKO with a sun boosted fire blast.

Scraggy: Probably the MVP of this team. His typing makes it difficult for psychic such as musharna and non focus blast gardevoirs from doing anything, and rest+ shed skin frustrates so many people. While it would lose a bulk up war to Gurdurr, scraggy definitely deserves some respect.

Octillery: I am not sure why this poke is not used as often. Even though it is slow, a choiced scarf water spout (not in sun) or fire blast in sun outspeed quite a few pokes. Plus, with 75/75/75 bulk, it can take a hit or 2. Plus it has the greatest ability in moody :p

I will get to 1750, this team deserves it!

PS is down again, and so I might as well give analyses of all 6 Pokémon I'm using. Floating around 1650 right now.

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early bird
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Att, -SpA)
-Brave Bird
-Double Edge
-Pursuit
-Thrash

The initial idea for this team was pretty much to remove physical walls and Rock/steel types and then sweep through a weakened team with Dodrio. And he's working about as well as I've imagined: his amazing speed and attack's swept through teams injured by Stealth Rocks and Spikes.

Of course, the thing's as fragile as anything else, (though IMHO Swellow's more so,) and if it ever takes a super-effective attack, it's dead. Priority in particular destroys Dodrio, though simply waiting for him to kill itself with recoil works too. Miltank, Alomamola are two walls that I've noticed that seem to be able to use that method to make me destroy myself.

Altogether, though, Dodrio's been an outstanding revenge-killer/sweeper, outspeeding and OHKOing any Cincinno set as well as many common scarfers in the tier. Either that, or he dies comically as I mispredict and send him into a SE attack.

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough skin
EVs: 16 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

-Dual Chop
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Hone claws

Originally theory-monned to be the Pokémon that would end up breaking steels and rock types: practice proved that this wasn't quite the case. While he cleanly KOed Probopass, Lairon, and Mawile, it was almost impossible to get more than one kill off him once he set up. There's just too many electric-types in the tier, which would seem like a good thing for a Dragon/ground until you realize they're all carrying HP Ice for pseudo Beam to go with their bolt.

Few things can actually WALL this Pokémon: Tangela's one of the few that I can think of that don't care a whit whether this guy's attacking. But as I said earlier, he's very vulnerable to being revenge-killed by any HP Ice/Ice beam bearing special attacker. Which usually then gets revenged by Dodrio, but whatever.

Chimecho @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Att)

-Healing Wish
-Psychic
-Heal Bell
-Recover

Oh my goodness. When I decided that I was going to use Chimecho, even though I had used it in Nuzlockes before, I wasn't prepared for how beast this thing was. I had originally picked it for one thing only: Healing wish to give Dodrio a second chance to Brave Bird errything. And that's what I used her for the first couple of games, until I noticed the middling damage she was taking, even from powerful Special attackers.

She became the Special tank of the team, and even took several physical attacks for less than 1/2 her health. She's my solid answer to Amoongus and Weezing, and can (and has) dueled several special attackers into a standstill.

Of course, Psychic, Steel, and Dark types made Chimecho flee or use Healing Wish. But as that's what she was designed to do, that isn't such a bad thing.

Simipour @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Att)

-Hydro Pump
-Nasty Plot
-Ice beam
-HP Grass

I'm using a modified Salac Berry set, the difference being the lack of Substitute in favor of HP Grass. It's served me quite well as a wallbreaker, though the fact that she has to set up before sweeping can be problematic with her low bulk.

The strategy is generally to come in a non-threatening Pokémon like Alomamola and Nasty plot, then sweep for as long as I can until I am forced out or killed. If I play intelligently, Simipour can destroy a team's defensive core (+2 Ice beam does ~80% damage to Amoongus IIRC, and I usually have SR and at least one layer of spikes at this point.)

Unfortunately, Simipour's also weak to priority, more specifically, Sucker Punch. Absol can usually kill me unless he comes in while I'm still at 100%. And sweeps are easily ended by one missed Hydro pump.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Att)

-Stealth Rock
-Discharge
-Earth Power
-Scald

My Stealth rock setter and second tank in general. I was honestly surprised by how bulky this guy was: taking less than 30% of my health from an Electabuzz's HP Ice with no SpD investment? Resisting a Braviary's Brave Bird attack and then having a 51% chance to have paralyzed it via Static and Discharge? Yes, please.

His damage isn't half bad either: many sweepers have been stopped by running into this wall and then dying to Discharge or Earth Power.

All I can really say is that this is usually one of the most reliable Pokémon on my team. Until it meets a grass-type. In which case, it runs for the hills. (Why aren't I running Sludge bomb again?)

Finally, number 6!

Glalie @ Normal Gem
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

-Explosion
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Toxic

Generally my lead nowadays, despite being last on the roster. It's main job is to Taunt their leads so they can't set up while throwing up my own spikes before literally going out with a bang. And it does this pretty well: some games I can get all three, more games I get two, some games I don't even bother with Spikes and just explode over the fragile Pokémon that thinks they can stop me.

So... yeah. I don't really know why these 6 aren't more used: even me, a noob that literally started playing NU 3 days ago (after lurking for months) has managed to get within 100 of the first rank with these 6 never-used of the never-used.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
User: shuckleking8
Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
nu 1750 79 1840 ± 68 (provisional) 31 13 0

My ultra underdog team was able to get the bronze so far. So proud of them!

Since PS! is fucking goddamn bitch, I may never reach 1750 even if I only need like 5 points because of random disconnects T.T Sorry for bitching, it's just really frustrating when you have match in your hands and get DC'd and lose -12... Ehhh...

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Showdown is finally working here. I'll play too.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Bertoldo Brecha
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Natu, Beartic
Current Ladder Ranking: 1454

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna give this another try and get to 1950

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Lunice
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Relicanth, Gabite
Current Ladder Ranking: ~

Definitely in!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Power Out
Underdog pokemon currently working with: Dodrio & Klang
Current ladder ranking: ~

EDIT: I'll try to get this done on the weekend. :p

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think I'll join in the fun!

PS! Alt: WhiteDrake
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Illumise, Victreebel and Golduck
Current ladder ranking: 1753

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Made it silver. I have to admit I accidentaly made a game with another team though (damn ps always making me bring the wrong team). I only gained 1 point though so no big difference and I'm at 1851 anyway.

I also need to add that tropius works much better when SR are up and that he's a fucking boss and goes from pretty useful to very useful in nearly every game. In extreme cases, I was losing 5-2 and won just thanks to invincistallpius.

Also, I won't attempt gold because I'm getting tired of this team and want to try new stuff and laddering after 1850 get's very long.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: donotwant
Underdog pokemon currently working with: Mawile, Grumpig, Whirlipede, Lickitung, Riolu, Yamask
Current Ladder Ranking: Zero :P

Edit: lol 69th post

Its been a couple of days since i started using my underdog team so ive decided its time to post my thoughts on my gimmicky phazing team. Because i suck at teambuilding, i have yet to get any of the awards but it was a fun team to use and was pretty decent if i played it right. I put them into hide tabs so i dont clog the thread.

Shelmet

Sir Arthur (Shelmet) @ Eviolite
Trait: Hydration
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Recover
- Yawn
- Toxic

So i basically only chose this pokemon initially cuz i love it design. Its a fucking Knight's helmet! Anyway, his appearance and mono bug typing are blessings because many of the ladder players think it is steel/bug which allows me to resist the many fighting attacks that try to hit me for "neutral damage" and sometimes allows me to avoid poison. With eviolite and its base 85 defense gives its pretty good physical bulk allowing it to tank attacks from Gurdurr, Golurk (minus stone edge) and Absol. Because of this and its access to reliable recovery makes him a decent spike setter. Certainly not as good as Cacturne or Garbodor, there are things that he has over the other underdog bug type hazard setters namely Dwebble and Whirlipede. First, he has a reliable form of recovery in Recover which the other two could only dream of. This makes him a decent physical wall, allowing him to heal off the damage taken. Second, he has a pseudo-phazer move in Yawn so that he isnt complete set up fodder like the other two(subs suck). The last move slot is filled by Toxic because Shelmet's offensive presence is inexistent. While Dwebble and Whirlipede have two different hazards, Shelmets other attributes are what make me prefer him. Taunt obviously mof's this set up but its relatively obvious to predict. I enjoyed using him and i would use him again on a semi-serious team.

Grumpig

PIG (Grumpig) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Whirlwind
- Psychic

Grumpig was just barely below 2% so i was like "Why the hell not?" He was ok for me i guess. This is his support set on site but instead of taunt/focus blast is Whirlwind. He has decent special bulk allowing him to tank a good amount of special attacks which is even further enhanced by Thick Fat. Its main flaw is its lack of recovery while only recovering damage from lefties. I chose him to join the team because of his access to heal bell, a phazing move (which isnt too necessary), and its good bulk. Heal bell was really useful because my whole team hated status. If riolu became poisoned, my main strategy could not work so his support was really nice. Besides those features, ive found him to be completely outclassed by almost every other psychic in the tier. Thick Fat is nice but it isnt an absolute necessity. Musharna can do this job better, but if youre looking for an underdog psychic type, Grumpig is most likely your man.

Sneasel

Snavely (Sneasel) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Sneasel is BOSS. He actually really surprised me at how effective he was at trapping ghosts and psychics. I used the standard Choice Band set and found it to be quite effective. While not as good as Skuntank or Absol, it can hold its own in battle. Some things, however, set it apart from the other two. With one of the highest speed stats in tier, he can outspeed mostly everyone and can speed tie Jolly Cinccino. His base 95 attack is good in nu and is higher than Skuntank's by 2 points. His secondary typing in ice is also very nice because its a great attacking type giving him powerful stabs in ice punch and priority in ice shard. For this challenge specifically, Sneasel was a great choice as a ghost and psychic trapper. Pursuit is very strong on the switch especially when equipped with choice band allowing for an easy OHKO. Low kick is for extra coverage but i hardly ever used it. It isn't without its flaws, however. Its typing leaves him vulnerable to a multitude weakness such as fire, rock, and 4x to fighting. Also, lack of another good dark type move is annoying. Despite these shortcomings, i think the positives outweigh the negatives and i would definitely use him on a semi-serious team. If im feeling saucy, id put him on my real team :D.

Riolu

Imma Bee (Riolu) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Copycat
- Roar
- Crunch

So... this set is king? Honestly, its such a little bitch! Lay down some hazards and get rid of priority users and you've won the game. I chose sash because it guarentees a Roar, which allows me to start the Copycat process of doom. I saw Molk talking about this ev spread and set on IRC so i decided to test it out and i have to say i like it alot. Riolu actually has some offensive presence and Drain Punch can be very useful in restoring the sash in certain situations. The HP evs still lets him live weak neutral hits even without eviolite. Toxic is a burden and destroys his strategy. Paralysis can be annoying as well but thats why i have heal bell Grumpig. Priority obviously fucks this up because it ends Copycat and also does heavy damage. Protect is annoying too but if you predict well then you can bypass it. He was a blast to use and it was fun to get those free points when people forfeited at the first sight of this little monster. I would never use Riolu on a serious team because it is a pure gimmick, however if you can remove his threats and set him up, you've won the game.

These other two are also on the team, but they aren't underdogs so they don't matter. :P

Misdreavus
Eloise (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball

Lairon-Hes a fucking boss.
Pink Floyd (Lairon) @ Eviolite
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
- Roar

So yeah! Thats my gimmick team. I suck and cant get a good ranking so im starting over... again.

Alt: HaxMePlease
Underdogs: Scraggy, BELLOSSOM
Current Ranking: Nada

That's me reached 1750 with Clefairy the most pro pink blob in the tier.
40 StallXanatos 1754 79.0 1848 ± 69 (provisional) 42 9 0

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 HP
Calm Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Lucky Chant
- Stored Power
- Softboiled

I've said this a few times on iRC but I have no idea if Lucky Chant is actually doing anything, on the rare occasion I do us I don't get critted but that could just be luck so I'm thinking of using Charge Beam instead so it can do something to Dark Types and boost Stored Power even more.

It takes surprising little damage even from physical attacks and can Cosmic Power + Softboil in just about anything's face. Being immune to hazards and status means you don't get worn down switching in to take a weak attack and gives so much set up chances.

Do not try and set up on a Calm Mind pokémon it will not go well especially if they have a fighting more, get out of there quick. Other than that and the obvious dark type weakness this set has the only things that can really prevent Clefairy from preforming well are Fighting Types / typed moves that hit it before it has set up a few boosts.

Clefairy usage is really low for being so resilient.
| 248 | Clefairy | 39 | 0.054% | 33 | 0.055% |

I personally challenge everyone to reach at least bronze with something with lower usage than Clefairy. I'll just continue to play casually and see if I get any higher.

I reached 1750. All worth it now because I reached my goal for a while, now I'm gonna take a rest from this challenge. :P

Zweilous really does work, it hits hard and paralyzes anything that needs to be paralyzed, most notably Cinccino. It OHKOs anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that has no defense investments and has a low or mediocre base defense.

Magmar, though, is not really the best underdog, but it does work when it needs to. It can seriously damage the numerous Grass and Bug types that are slower in the tier. And can still hit quite hard the Steel and Rock types with Focus Mis-- er I mean Blast. But it usually just kills something, and dies, or attempts to burn something with Will-O-Wisp.

Giving up after failing to breach 1250.

-Illumise was a good, reliable rain setter and could spread status about well, but she seems completely outclassed by Volbeat, with a weaker U-Turn and lack of Tail Glow.
-Beartic is BOSS. Seriously, more people need to use this guy. Perfect coverage, hits like a nuke, fast in rain... shame about his crappy typing, but his bulk makes up for it.
-Golduck is another good sweeper, dealing most of the damage for my team. Probably outclassed by Ludicolo though, as while the Mexican Plant is slightly weaker, it's bulkier and has a better typing.
-Swanna is... okay. Poweful, sure, but frail and prone to being killed a lot. STAB Hurricane is so good though.
-CHAMPION KLANG ALL DA WAY. In all serious Klang is a great utility counter and works well in cleaning up after rain has gone, or after threats have been removed.
-Emolga is meh.

Name:Ashley11
Alt: Ashley11
Pokemon under two percent:Grumpig and pinsir
Ladder Ranking: 1651 (Im getting there :D)

Since I am a weak user, getting 1750 is too good for me. Will, maybe, try to get higher and will update this post with something more detailed

Is Keiran even updating this, like, ever? O.O

Name: AeroForceOne
Underdog Pokemon: Beheeyem and Stunfisk

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Discharge

Beheeyem @ Leftovers
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

"33 AeroForceOne 1752 79.6 1857 ± 71 (provisional) 40 16 0"
Don't know ways to post screenies D:

Gonna try again with some different mons.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Underdog drakon
Underdog pokemon currently working with: Illumise, Omanyte
Current Ladder Ranking: 899

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)