The Underused Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meruu those are some nice sets for your stall team. I just wanted to emphasize that Sableye should use Knock Off for stall teams but Foul Play is a decent (but still in my opinion lesser) option for more offensive teams. I really think that Gligar should run Defog since it gets more utility out of that on average than if you use Toxic because Defog will help is nearly all games (be patient you can set up your hazards again) while Toxic will only help in some games and will never be essential (as in Toxic is the only way you can beat sweeper x) except against very random things.

the real reason I wanted to post was because I finished the darkhorse challenge too.

And I would have finished much sooner too if the ladder didn't break when I won two games earlier today which would have certainly got me to 1750 ( I was already like in the 1730s) and then I promptly lost two games when the ladder worked again because I got outplayed.

My team http://pastebin.com/8WyTC218

A game that shows all the darkhorses doing work http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-113048962 but to be completely honest that user beat me at least 2 other times on the ladder with same teams

Frankly Shedinja needs little explanation except maybe I have not tested out Baton Pass and I am not actually sure if that is legal (Shedinja is one of those weird Pokemon that cannot learn SD by TM I think but by other means only, breeding). Lum Berry is not really viable compared to Focus Sash which is by far better and lets you set up on random Victini's in a pinch and sweep. Keep in mind Sucker Punch is stronger than SHadow Sneak despite STAB and should be used most of the time on choiced Pokemon if the situation is appropriate (it would NOT be appropriate to Sucker Punch on a Flygon locked in U-Turn, a double switch or SD is generally more prudent there depeding on the circumstances) Shedinja also deals large problems to volt turn teams and some rain teams in general which is a plus. Shedinja is not the MVP but it has very good chances to sweep most teams especially when doubled with Zoroark.

Zoroark usually pretends to be Shedinja just to play games but I often make it Victini too to kill bulky waters or at leats badly damage tem. Sadly Shedinja cannot counter most bulky waters since they run Toxic or Roar or some other move to kill me much of the time so it is often up to Zoroark to lure them in (hello Slowbro). Zoroark has Trick almost exclusively for Umbreon which you may notice not only walls most of my team but can badly damage most members with Foul Play. Zoroark is definitely useful against random ladder games where people can't be bothered to remember your entire team from the preview and forget about Zoroark often. I suspect it would be strongly useful in other more serious games too because nobody can tell the illusion form the real thing, it is generally all down to prediction which is snob talk for guessing for the opponent.

Heliolisk is pretty overrated and I wanted to switch him out to use a better electric. I already have a great Crocune counter (Heliolisk can actually lose to Crocune lol if it gets really unlucky with CM) in Shedinja. Heliolisk have a pretty cool Normal immunity though that comes at little cost since it really cannot take Fighting moves anyways. Surf is great to OHKO Nidoking with and maul everything weak to it at the very least, OHKOing Entei after SR for instance. Grass Knot is to get even more Pokemon that could potentially wall me like Swampert for good damage. The electric immunity can be abused since you do not reveal Life Orb and people often assume a Choice set. I have used Hyper Beam and it is not very good, still rather weak and leaves you prone to being swept by random Pokemon (you will notice my team is incredibly weak to Houndoom, Absol, Cloyster, and many more. I just try not to let them set up). The lack of defense hurts Heliolisk by being forced out in otherwise good situations like against Honchkrow against a team with no electric immunity.

The rest of my team is pretty high in usage but the Celebi set I use is far from common. I got that set from a post on these forums actually and I think it is a very good set, maybe outclassed a bit by Mew but I already use Mew for Defog so that can hardly be helped. SUcker Punch is quite strong after a boost and can OHKO most Fire Pokemon after SR. Adamant Celebi is strong and still faster than Nidoking but slower than base 90s which is very annoying if you are Venemoth weak (which I am to a fair extent if Shedinja is dead/hazards are up) The best thing about SD Celebi is random special walls to scout your move often switch in like Florges AND the physical walls you expect to wall SD Pokemon are mauled by your STAB like Slowbro, Hippowdon and Chesnaught. Most physical walls even if they don't get KO'd by you after a boost still are set up fodder. That combined with strong priority and useable speed makes Celebi a big threat to all sorts of teams.

That is all, for now.

I like the team and will most likely steal it, but how do you deal with Knock Off users, particuarly ones that are scarfed like Mien and Krookodile, since they can just constantly spam it? Considering that you have four dark weak mons, the only one resisting it having terrible bulk (60/60/60 iirc). Other than that, gj pif. :^)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I usually lose to them but on the occasions that I do win it's because Mew can take a few hits and still do it's job most of the time and Shedinja can hack them up if it has his Sash up still. Also Zoroark can pretend to be Shedinja to play some games and you'll notice I use U-turn a lot to keep momentum up and not allow that many attacking opportunities. But yes I usually lose to lots of smart Knock Off spam.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Meruu those are some nice sets for your stall team. I just wanted to emphasize that Sableye should use Knock Off for stall teams but Foul Play is a decent (but still in my opinion lesser) option for more offensive teams. I really think that Gligar should run Defog since it gets more utility out of that on average than if you use Toxic because Defog will help is nearly all games (be patient you can set up your hazards again) while Toxic will only help in some games and will never be essential (as in Toxic is the only way you can beat sweeper x) except against very random things.
Yeah tbh you're probably right. In UU it might make more sense to run Defog on Gligar, as my team is incredibly Spike weak. I only really kept Toxic on the team for Honchkrow, which doesn't even work if they have Substitute. However, in RU, I honestly think Toxic is too good to pass up, but in UU, with there being a much more clerics (and much better clerics) it might make more sense to run Defog, as the team is incredibly Forry weak.

Grats on finishing too n_n

Last edited:
Congratlulations to both Meru and hilarious for reachintg A-Rank! Personally, I didn't think we'd have one, let alone two people make it that far

Everyone who entered, with the exception of Pipotchi, has been added to the OP. Pipotchi, your team managed a staggering 46.61315% usage, nearly 1.5x times the legal amount for participation. Due to time constraints left in the month, you will not be able to edit your team and continue. Please try again in May. On that note, users eaglehawk, Mozz, Wyvern, and mallpal have been disqualified from the remainder of this month's challenge. All three of which failed to provide me an importable of their team. Providing me their team before the month is over, as well as having reached at least C-Rank however, will allow them to continue.

Meru mentioned this when he signed up, but Calloflochie, Snorlax, on the 1695 stats, is ballparked around 3.7% in usage. This would have disqualified you until you replaced it had I noticed it earlier. My braintrust failed me there, and because of which, I'll allow you to retain your position in C-Rank. However, I'll be double-checking team and Dark Horse validity next month with even more scrutiny than I did this time.

In closing, the sign-up portion for this month is officially closed. Current participants, with the exception of Meru and hilarious, are still eligible to increase their rankings and join our Hall Of Fame.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I think the problem is that your original post links to the 1695 stats for uubeta, where Snorlax is 3.7% usage, but the 1695 usage stats for actual uu have Snorlax at 4.3%.

I also used Sableye, who qualifies as a Dark Horse, on my team. So that should be added too.

I think the problem is that your original post links to the 1695 stats for uubeta, where Snorlax is 3.7% usage, but the 1695 usage stats for actual uu have Snorlax at 4.3%.

I also used Sableye, who qualifies as a Dark Horse, on my team. So that should be added too.
And there's the issue.Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll edit that change in as well.

Oops, sorry about that, next time I will read the brief a lot more carefully. I got overexcited when I read the first few lines and immediately threw my team together (embarrassed)

Alrighty guys, today is the last day in April! If you've made it to any of the Hall Of Fame rankings, but haven't subbmitted your screenshot, you need to have submitted them by 11:59PM MST (2 hours later than EST). Any posts after that preceding the uploading of the April stats and the exhibition of our new round will be deleted. Keep an eye out for when I announce the next round of The Dark Horse Project!

Also, to those who have won, the leaderboard will be updated tomorrow (once April is officially over).

I like the team and will most likely steal it, but how do you deal with Knock Off users, particuarly ones that are scarfed like Mien and Krookodile, since they can just constantly spam it? Considering that you have four dark weak mons, the only one resisting it having terrible bulk (60/60/60 iirc). Other than that, gj pif. :^)
I run a similar team (zoro + sheddy) and the best way to deal with scarfed knock off is mega Blastoise. Cobalion is also a good option if you're specifically looking for something to absorb knock offs.

Grats to hilarious, I was going to try this with my zoroark/shedinja team but I was way over the usage limit with mega Blastoise on there.

Mazz Will Magnezone/Hydreigon be legal for this next month, if it remains unbanned? If yes, how much would it count for since March stats won't have them. Same applies to research week 9.

Magnezone and Hydreigon will be allowed, as they do have stats on April's usage stats. However, as their stats are rather fucked up, using either of them will introduce a 6% 'penalty'. This means if you use one, you're now restricted to a team percentage of 29%. Using both drops your team percentage to 23% Do note these percentages (the 23 and 29 percentages) will also include Hydreigon and Magnezone's current usage stats.

That said, the next round of the UU Dark Horse Tournament is now open!

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Name: FiveForTheBeehive
Pokemon: cofagrigus, slowking, malamar, and whimisicott
lol ded (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 0 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

u wot m8 (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast

britney (Malamar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut
- Trick Room

in da zone (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

baa (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

fluffy (Whimsicott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
- Trick Room
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast

Ladder ranking: WIP

0 battles: View attachment 12942

Last edited:
Name: Golduck=Arceus
Pokemon: Scyther Rhydon Gardevoir Aromatisse(I'm insane ik)
Team:
Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

changed because unbearably bad before. still under 35%

edit: added up to 36% so changed something. it's fine now.

Proof:

best timing ever

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: A Crobat W/ Shades
Pokemon: Avalugg, Slowking, Banette
Team Importable:
Ya GF's Booty (Avalugg) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Solomon (Slowking) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SDef / 12 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail

Latifah (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 128 Spd / 128 HP
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Rick Ross (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Curse
- Rest

Vamplifier (Noivern) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Boomburst
- Switcheroo

Ban-Aid (Banette) (F) @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Wither (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Roost

Susan (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

2 Bladez (Doublade) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Oven Mitts (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Boarbecue (Emboar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

0.38724 Avalugg
1.15194 Slowking
5.50962 Nidoqueen
5.32558 Snorlax
6.05571 Noivern
1.18098 Banette

= 19.61107!!!

Clean Alt:

Today, I feel like believin'

edit: Replacing Emboar with Rotom-H. Importable and percentages in the spoiler above

edit edit: Replaced Doublade and Rotom-H with Gardevoir and Snorlax, and finally got somewhere in life. Changes made in the spoiler above. Also did a few other changes with my team, which have been updated in said spoiler.

edit edit edit: Replaced Hydreigon with Noivern, Gardevoir with Banette. E'erything you need to know is in that spoiler above :]

Mazz please don't kill me for changing my team this many times...I still kept my original Dark Horses so that's worthy of something right? Also in case I didn't mention...EVs on Lax are to survive LO Hydreigon Focus Miss more comfortably while being only 3HKOed by CB Victini's V-Create. Just to let y'all know.

Last edited:
Name of Alt: cmekks
Pokemon I am choosing:
Milotic, Aromatisse, Kyurem

Fate (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Defog
- Roost

Aphrodite (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Recover
- Haze

Achilles (Chesnaught) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Spd / 80 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake

Destiny (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 216 Spd / 40 HP / 252 SDef
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Hestia (Aromatisse) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect

Ares (Arcanine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme speed
- Morning Sun

0.89766 Aromatisse
3.24605 Kyurem
3.70767 Milotic
4.51385 Chesnaught
9.57439 Arcanine
10.96454 Mew

= 32.90416!!!

Proof of new alt:

View attachment 12969

Alt: General Eisenhower
Dark Hoerses: Kabutops, Tornadus-I, Reuniclus

Importable:
LONG LIVE THE KING (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 196 Spd / 252 SAtk / 60 Atk
Mild Nature
- Waterfall
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Crazed Killer (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 236 Spd / 252 Atk / 20 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Absolute Dancer (Tornadus) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 232 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn

Skill (Jirachi) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Thunder

idfk what EVs to use here.

1.21 Gigawatts (Ampharos) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 208 Spd / 252 SAtk / 48 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Loss (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

| 52 | Kingdra | 4.30370% |
| 126 | Kabutops | 0.62391% |
| 98 | Tornadus | 1.04147% |
| 31 | Jirachi | 7.02748% |
| 26 | Ampharos | 7.61294% |
| 73 | Reuniclus | 2.06565% |
= 22.67515%

Alright, in.
Alt: thealondite
Dark Horses: Tentacruel, Escavalier and Exploud

Full (current) team:
Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Swarm
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Return

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Noivern @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Surf

C-Rank with Tentacruel, Escavalier and Exploud

View attachment 13236

Rundown of the horses:

Sharknado (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

It may not be quite as good as Gen V Tenta, but even in Gen VI this thing is still useful. The Toxic Spike residual damage was very useful, as it wore many threats down into killing range. It also provided spinning utility for a lot of other SR weak pokes, making Tentacruel an intergal part of this team. And even though it had zero SpDef EVs, this thing still can take quite a few special shots, even some SR ones. Good job, friend.

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Return

You know, sometimes 120 BP Banded STAB attacks hurt. That's exactly what opponents say when Escavalier comes crashing right into the enemy team with his very Mega Horn. Yeah, this snail definitely proved his worth, with his ability to put pretty big dents into just about anything. Megahorn was obviously the main move, what with the aforementioned 120 BP and STAB. Iron Head covered off Florges, one of those weird things that actually survives 2 Megahorns after Lefties. Return was for when you wanted to not miss Megahorn, which is actually a problem given it's 85 accuracy (seemingly 8.5 accuracy for me). But yeah, this thing is kinda cool. Try it.

Richard Rogers (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Surf

Here, ladies and gentlemen, was the star. The star of the WHOLE DAMN TEAM. Good lord, did this man ever put in work. Boomburst was like Escavalier's Megahorn, except it had 20 more BP and 100 accuracy, so no missing. Adding in Scrappy, there are not a lot of things that Boomburst doesn't annhilate, considering most Rocks or Steels are physical walls. Adding in possible residual damage from Tentacruel, and the list gets even shorter. And, to top it off, this thing has Nidoking-like coverage moves, and it covers just about everything. Try it out, people. You won't be disappointed.

And logs:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118347858
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118357117
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118364583
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118371162
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118375846
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118377598

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)