The Unova Circuit Challenge!

After battling and battling all day long, its time to mix it up a little. Im gonna show you guys a challenge called the Unova Circuit!

[SIMG]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/88/Unova.jpg[/SIMG]
(In need of photoshopper to make a nice route line on this with stars/dots on the checkpoints and "Unova Circuit" Written on the top)

This marathon is a tour of Unova starting from Nimbasa City and ending at the opposite gate. There are just a few rules to keep this interesting...

• - Save before starting. You may not save during your run. This will also help you remember your starting time.

• - You may use ONE currently-owned pokemon: All other slots must be left empty at the start of the marathon

• - Fly, Dig, Teleport, Escape ropes, or any other means of instant teleportation are not allowed. Using these results in an immediate disqualification.

• - Upon leaving from either side of Cimbasa City, your goal is to run or ride the entire "loop" of the Unova Region surrounding the Extralink. Leave from either side, but remember which side you set out from!

• - Along the way, in order to mark your progress, you are required to stop at 5 checkpoints and capture a specific pokemon to mark that you have been running the race correctly. Those pokemon and checkpoints are as follows:

• Cold Storage: Capture a Vanillite
    • Chargestone Cave: Capture a Klink
    • Twist Mountain: Capture a Drillbur
    • Giant Chasm: Capture a Ditto
    • Lostlorn Forest: Capture a Venipede

• -All pokemon captured at checkpoints MUST have a Trainer Memo whose "Met At" section lists both the valid checkpoint and the date of the challenge.

Once all 5 checkpoints have been reached and the appropriate pokemon captured therein, proceed to the opposite gate of Nimbasa City from which you entered. Upon reaching the gate, post your start and finish times! Or just keep your cool new record to yourself, it's all cool.

This sounds like a really cool idea.
Do you think it would be useful to carry false swipe, to help with captures?
Also, can you use the pokemon you catch during? And are you allowed to use repels?

This sounds like a really cool idea.
Do you think it would be useful to carry false swipe, to help with captures?
Also, can you use the pokemon you catch during? And are you allowed to use repels?
Yes, although I should put some item restrictions so no masterball or other such abuse..

Of course! your team grows through the run, although I don't see how that could improve your time by much...

All the repels you want!

this seems really boring, and the whole "catch a pokemon to prove you've been to x checkpoint" could just completely ruin your time.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What's the point of this? All you do is do a lap of the Entralink & catch 5 Pokemon. This isn't really exciting, & all you seem to be doing is wasting your time, time that could be better spent on something like breeding, or something else. Sorry, but no thanks.

What's the point of this? All you do is do a lap of the Entralink & catch 5 Pokemon. This isn't really exciting, & all you seem to be doing is wasting your time, time that could be better spent on something like breeding, or something else. Sorry, but no thanks.
All youre doing is pairing up pokemon to get better stats.

Its all subjective and this gives a change of pace.

An interesting brief diversion, but not really relevant for Smogon, since there's no

How's this for a different spin on it:

* Start at Opelucid. Head off in your choice of direction.
* Between every city, you must capture at least one Pokemon, and you must get at least three different species before you reach Nimbasa. For clarity, Village Bridge is a route, not a city. White Forest is a city.
* Upon reaching Nimbasa, win 7 battles on the battle subway with your newly caught Pokemon. They don't have to be a streak, and you can change Pokemon if your first choices is no good. Even go back and get more Pokemon if you must. Just win seven battles in total.
* Continue on the lap. Again, capture at least one Pokemon between every city.
* Upon reaching Opelucid again, head up Victory Road to the Elite 4.
* Beat the Elite 4. You can use any Pokemon for this, not just your newly caught ones.
* Your finishing time is that recorded in the Hall of Fame.

Should be much more challenging. You have to balance considerations of time spent catching Pokemon, or giving them TMs or Vitamins, against the time that might save in the Battle Subway. You'll be challenged to win in the Battle Subway while making do with Pokemon that are worlds away from the flawless IVed, right Natured, EV Trained mons used in competitive battling.

looked good until i read that i had to catch a ditto again, that took me an hour the first time. No way lol.

My suggestion is that you have to use the Pokemon you catch at each checkpoint to get to the next checkpoint, and only that pokemon, with no repels or potions (no healing period) and catch the next Pokemon.

So that means you have to be careful how much you lower the Pokemon's HP when you catch it, as too low and you'll only hurt yourself.

Yeathis is a desperate attempt to salvage anything useful from what is basically a waste of time. :P

Everything not called Ditto is easily caught in a Quick Ball, and you have no way of verifying whether or not teleportation items/moves are used.

Everything not called Ditto is easily caught in a Quick Ball, and you have no way of verifying whether or not teleportation items/moves are used.
There is also no way of verifying that the people post real times or not. I think this is meant to be done by the honour rule.

Wow. No wonder other sites say you guys are no fun allowed. I try to show you something different and I get raged at. If its not your thing, why bother?

I quite like the idea, actually. But I first gotta finish the game (I'm playing through it like, 1 minute a day, because I've played the Jap. version until the E4 as well.)

There is also no way of verifying that the people post real times or not. I think this is meant to be done by the honour rule.
You can post pictures of the gameplay time at the starting and finishing points, though that doesn't really mean anything. You could post summaries of the Pokemon you caught with Date/Time, but those can be faked by changing the DS clock. The only way to prove you didn't cheat is to post a through video of it.

Sounds quite fun. Will have to do it at some point.

An interesting brief diversion, but not really relevant for Smogon, since there's no

How's this for a different spin on it:

* Start at Opelucid. Head off in your choice of direction.
* Between every city, you must capture at least one Pokemon, and you must get at least three different species before you reach Nimbasa. For clarity, Village Bridge is a route, not a city. White Forest is a city.
* Upon reaching Nimbasa, win 7 battles on the battle subway with your newly caught Pokemon. They don't have to be a streak, and you can change Pokemon if your first choices is no good. Even go back and get more Pokemon if you must. Just win seven battles in total.
* Continue on the lap. Again, capture at least one Pokemon between every city.
* Upon reaching Opelucid again, head up Victory Road to the Elite 4.
* Beat the Elite 4. You can use any Pokemon for this, not just your newly caught ones.
* Your finishing time is that recorded in the Hall of Fame.

Should be much more challenging. You have to balance considerations of time spent catching Pokemon, or giving them TMs or Vitamins, against the time that might save in the Battle Subway. You'll be challenged to win in the Battle Subway while making do with Pokemon that are worlds away from the flawless IVed, right Natured, EV Trained mons used in competitive battling.
...And this is hard mode. Nice. I shall do it after normal mode. Now, to come up with a SecretHiddenBoss Mode. :P

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Super Secret Final boss mode is that you have to get your seven wins in a streak and beat the Elite Four with the pokemon you caught along the way.

Of course, have fun doing that against Alder's L75's.

Well, I for one plan to do this soon. Just beat the Elite Four and kinda got burned out on the standard progression. Looks to be a fun little diversion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)