1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

the uses of useless pokemon

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by shucklenator, Sep 23, 2010.

1. shucklenator

shucklenator

Dunsparce.. Shuckle.... Ariados..... Huntail..... Xatu........................
    The list goes on and on through the NU tier.. Pokemon such as the ones I listed above are just a few of the many pokemon forgotten about in todays mainstream competitive circuit. Granted they do lack the excitement of colossal attack stats or blistering speed of pokemon such as Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, or Salemence perhaps. Nor do they look like huge, god-like, beasts of terror.. But what a good handfull of generally..*thinks*....well....boring, pokemon do posses is simple, useful, and when used correctly, extremely effective strategies and uses.
    Take Dunsparce for instance.
    Below average stats for the most part, but a decent movepool. And the key is in its ability: Serene Grace. This increases the chance of stat increase, flinching, ect. side effects from moves like ancientpower or iron head. Use the ability to your advantage; ancientpower, charge beam, headbutt. Pick and choose, have fun, experiment with different movesets. Maybe throw in attract? Or glare? Just for fun!
    Ariados? Baton pass, spider web, sucker punch, toxic spikes. Its different and a good addition for some out of the box support.
    Or my favorite (hence the username) shuckle!!!
    A fun stall to have and play around with. Sure it might not be able to hold its own in a heavy attack OU but its still quite the unexpected beast. You could go for the bug bite/power trick with a substitute set up or a stealth rock. But stalling is the best with shuckle. Toxic, rest, encore, protect.. set it up with a sandstorm even for a 1.5 sp def boost cause of its rock type.
    These pokemon are fun, different, and exciting. And it feels much more rewarding to win with seemingly "useless" pokemon such as them. Should these obscure strategists see more competitive play? Are people to caught up in the glamour of Dragonites, Metagrosses, and legendaries? I dont know..Maybe. Could 5th gen offer up any new pokemon such as dunsparce or ariados? I dont know.. I just offer my thoughts and ask questions. Hopefully you can answer some for me.:toast:
  2. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

3. Alan

Alan

try adding in <p></p> tags and some pictures so it looks prettier :)
  4. DJXO9

DJXO9

5. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Joe McCarthy.. Richard Nixon.... Studebaker..... Television..... North Korea...... South Korea........ Marilyn Monroe........................

sorry i got confused
  6. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

GP Check 1/2
    [​IMG]
  7. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This needs a Quality Control check not a Grammar Prose check sheesh.
  8. Darkmalice

Darkmalice Like a facepalm, but better
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

You forgot Parasect...
  9. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)