The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's running Doublade because of Terrakion though.
Yeah, doublades a good checkto Terrak, but i havent seen too many doublade so far tbis month, even after Terrak dropping.He does have zoroark in case doublade is really that much of an issue.

Slurpuff is loving this meta btw no more rachi is great lol
Haha yeah. Slurpuff is putting in some major work :D. Zoroark and him go together pretty well :). Running memento, taunt, knock off, and u turn on him, but I might switch it up later. Some people don't even know what illusion does (on the lower rankings).

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, I need something fun to play with, so I'm going to go for another hazard offense team, built in five minutes flat based on silly discussions had in Showdown this morning.

ALT: Horse Face Ethel

| 13 | Blastoise | 11.03498% | 59494 | 11.027% | 49681 | 11.467% |
| 72 | Froslass | 2.13268% | 9997 | 1.853% | 8965 | 2.069% |
| 73 | Slurpuff | 2.02521% | 10950 | 2.029% | 8145 | 1.880% |
| 87 | Shuckle | 1.24274% | 11918 | 2.209% | 10349 | 2.389% |
| 129 | Braviary | 0.40965% | 3661 | 0.679% | 2895 | 0.668% |

+ Heracross, who is unrated... but considering that I'm only at 17%, you could rate him as high as Hydreigon and I'd still be under.

I have no reason to expect this team to do particularly well, but sometimes it's worth it just to mess around with a Shuckle.

Shaymin - 3.67335%
Houndoom - 1.41749%

Slurpuff - 2.02521%
Vaporeon - 7.63670%
Gligar - 3.28303%
Doublade - 2.69409%

Total - 20.72984%

Alt: EpicBrahmin DH

Nidoqueen | 6.10446% | 16602 | 3.077% | 14049 | 3.243% |
Magneton | 0.93435% | 3677 | 0.681% | 2997 | 0.692% |
Fletchinder | 0.64011% | 1510 | 0.280% | 1201 | 0.277% |
Togetic | 0.63418% | 1939 | 0.359% | 1594 | 0.368% |
Barbaracle | 0.22494% | 1295 | 0.240% | 995 | 0.230% |

Total: 8,53804%

and Heracross, but >8,5%

alt: eviolitious

Nidoqueen | 6.10446% | 16602 | 3.077% | 14049 | 3.243% |
Magneton | 0.93435% | 3677 | 0.681% | 2997 | 0.692% |
Fletchinder | 0.64011% | 1510 | 0.280% | 1201 | 0.277% |
Togetic | 0.63418% | 1939 | 0.359% | 1594 | 0.368% |
Barbaracle | 0.22494% | 1295 | 0.240% | 995 | 0.230% |

Total: 8,53804%

and Heracross, but >8,5%

alt: eviolitious

I don't think you can use Heracross. It doesn't have any usage status for January since well it just dropped. So, it, along with Terrakion and Mence can't be used for DH this month.

I don't think you can use Heracross. It doesn't have any usage status for January since well it just dropped. So, it, along with Terrakion and Mence can't be used for DH this month.
i can't see why since even if u rate him as high as rachi (22.6%) id still be under 35%
Hogg is using similar thinking about it, which seems fine (i mean, my horses altogether is like 6%)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brobat, do you want some new art for the OP? I've got nothing but time and photoshop, so I figure I may as well do something.
I appreciate it but I'll leave it as is for the time being, I kinda like the picture actually.

Also since so many people wish to use Heracross, I'll make it legal but it's going to impose a 10% penalty on your teams. If this puts you over 35%, you'll have to use something else

I appreciate it but I'll leave it as is for the time being, I kinda like the picture actually.

Also since so many people wish to use Heracross, I'll make it legal but it's going to impose a 10% penalty on your teams. If this puts you over 35%, you'll have to use something else
What about the other new drops then?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What about the other new drops then?
I'm gonna keep them exempt from this challenge...Terrakion and Salamence are looking kinda iffy far as broken goes, and if they do get lobbed it'll mess some teams up, so those ones cannot be used for this

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hahaha this team is ass. I don't think Horse Face Ethel is getting very far today.

The basic idea was Custap Shuckle + Scarfed Defiant Braviary, with BD Slurpuff and SD Toxic Orb Hera as my main sweepers. Braviary is pretty cool and I plan to play with it more. Shuckle is unbelievably ass, even with Custap berry being legal and a Defiant user to discourage Defog. I'll play a few more games, but I do not have high hopes for Horse Face Ethel.

Just broke 1300, and I can conclude that Slurpuff is amazing. I haven't run into anything that can really stop it yet (The one thing I can think of that might be able to stop a slurpuff that's boosted is a doublade), and it is hard carrying games. (On a side note, the unburden bonus apparently leaves when you switch out)

Just broke 1300, and I can conclude that Slurpuff is amazing. I haven't run into anything that can really stop it yet (The one thing I can think of that might be able to stop a slurpuff that's boosted is a doublade), and it is hard carrying games. (On a side note, the unburden bonus apparently leaves when you switch out)
Mega aggron is a pretty huge buzz kill for slurpuff even at +6 with drain punch. But with hazards, there really isnt much that can handle it.

Hahaha this team is ass. I don't think Horse Face Ethel is getting very far today.

The basic idea was Custap Shuckle + Scarfed Defiant Braviary, with BD Slurpuff and SD Toxic Orb Hera as my main sweepers. Braviary is pretty cool and I plan to play with it more. Shuckle is unbelievably ass, even with Custap berry being legal and a Defiant user to discourage Defog. I'll play a few more games, but I do not have high hopes for Horse Face Ethel.
What about mental herb on shuckle? I tried a shuckle and alomomla team (healing wish support) and it worked okay. Mental herb stops dedicated leads like azelf, etc.. from taunting shuckle guaranteeing either sw or sr are laid.

Eh havi.g trouble breaking 1500. Im thinking of switching mega scept out. Thinking of trying mega glalie or diancie. Any thoughts?

Edit: going to try Kingdra > Scept im still under 35%.

Edit 2: Trying Pidgeot > rest of stuff I've been trying. Puts me just under 35% at like 34.44%

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Eh havi.g trouble breaking 1500. Im thinking of switching mega scept out. Thinking of trying mega glalie or diancie. Any thoughts?

Edit: going to try Kingdra > Scept im still under 35%.
Diancie is OU now, so no trying that.

well, I've been enjoying Fletchinder on my team but I'm having some troubles over switchin, matchup and instant power, so I changed it to Darmanitan (total= ~28%), who does his job.
on the good news side, I reached my first DH team C-Rank :)

I don't think I'll get to B-Rank right now, but I'm really enjoying this team, so I'll talk a little about them.

First, Nidoqueen.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Queen was the last member to join the team. I've never used her before, but I'm glad we're having such a good time together. Nidoqueen can setup rocks while pressuring the opponent team. She needs to be 2HKO most of the time (except for some SE attacks) while being able to OHKO or 2HKO a huge portion of the meta. LO Salamence, for example, have like 69% chance to OHKO Queen. Scarf and bulky doesn't even OHKO. Pretty good mon.

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 328-387 (95 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

I'm really excited Heracross drop back to UU. He's an awesome wallbreaker, a better Machamp most of the time, 2HKO most of the meta bar Crobat/Florges/Gligar, which he can actually crip with Knock Off. If Guts is up, I think only Gligar has a safe switch in. But a base 85 Spe holds him back and makes it easily revenge killed. I hope this will be enough for him to keep around for a while :)

I'm not talking about Darmanitan, so... Here, my horses:

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Jirachi leaving UU made the tier so much healthier! Dozens of mons can now try to shine in this new meta, and with Raikou leaving as well, I assume I could take this magnets for a ride. With a great 120 SpA, dual STAB on Electric/Steel and a Specs attached to it, Magneton can roll over against anything bar non-water/fairy Special Walls. None ground type in this meta can switch in an Analytic Specs Flash Cannon - hell, most can't tank a Specs Flash Cannon neither - for the exception of Swampert/Mega Swampert, which HP Grass covers (sadly I have to catch offensives mpert on switch in, while regular pert are outspeed). One good thing about this Magneton is that ppl assume I'm an Eviolite Magnet Pull user, so they don't expect it to do THAT much damage. The lack of eviolite does hurt his defenses, but he can tank 1 or 2 hits and strikes back.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Baton Pass
- Defog

Togetic has this fantastic Fairy/Flying type, which checks most of the dragons, fighting, dark, bug, grass and ground types on UU, has a cool 50/85/105 defenses stat, which boosted by Eviolite makes her a good wall on both spectrums. She also have a great support movepool to be used with. I'm currently trying this full support Togetic: a slow BP for both NP pass and momentum, with Roost for recovery and Defog to get rid of hazards. I know it's completely taunt bait, but then I have to predict only switch out, since most of the team don't really mind getting taunted. About the EV spread, well it's been working I'd say, but it's not like I had spend a time thinking about it.

Last but not least, Barbaracle, which have also been on RW.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Shell Smash

I'm really impressed about this one. Acting as my late-game sweeper, after his checks are gone, it can roll over the meta. Common scarfers get OHKO after a Shell Smash, most of priority these days come from ES Entei, which Barbaracle resists. He also have enough bulk to tank a Sucker Punch from Honchkrow, for example, so it's kind of hard to revenge kill it. Of course I can't come in first turn, setup and sweep from there, but if I play Queen, Hera, Mag and Darmanitan right, it will have a ez time late. The only real problem right now about Barbaracle is that, while he's a great fire resist, he is also my only Fire resist, and it doesn't enjoy getting burned. While I can play around Arcanine Willos, Entei Sacred Fire does hurt it. So if I see both, I have to be careful and kind of play offensively.

I guess this is it. Hope I get any further :)

So, I'm not sure if I'll be breaking 1500 this month, but maybe you folks can give some feedback which can change that.

Non-DH:

Umbreon and Crobat are a great defensive core. Cleric + Defog support, pretty standard

DH:

Granbull is a fantastic wall in the current meta. It's bulk and typing is fantastic in the current meta (hello Mence and Hera, goodbye Rachi). After Intimidate, it's bulk is nothing short of impressive:

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 142-168 (36.9 - 43.7%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 224-268 (58.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 187-221 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 135-159 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- 76.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 211-249 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 132-156 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 42.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 200-238 (52 - 61.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

These calcs are impressive considering these are the top wallbreakers currently in UU. That calc on Mega Beedrill actually saved me. I ran a RestTalk set and it is 100% viable in the current meta. Having double heal bell support probably wasn't necessary, but maybe Fire Punch would be good to bop the bulky steels that switch in.

Overall Score: 8/10

Reason: Special bulk and no recovery outside of RestTalk. Intimidate is only a one time use, so it can allow a 2nd physical attacker to start boosting.

Seismitoad is something I love playing with. 105/75/75 bulk with immunity to electric and water moves is huge. Water Absorb, SR, Scald, EQ and Knock Off played a huge role in my choice of Toad over say Gastrodon, Quagsire or Swampy, which do similar jobs. If you factor in Intimidate from Granbull (which has excellent synergy with Steel attacks), then this toad can last a while lol

Overall Score: 8/10

Reason: No reliable recovery again and it's attacking stats are a little low at 95/85. But, overall definitely able to hold it's own in the current meta with the right support.

AV Escavalier is really good in the meta. If you combine it with Seismitoads resists and immunities, with Granbull's Intimidate, and it only has to fear special Fire attacks (Hydre, Chandy, Nidos), which are easy to scout for. 70/105/105 bulk is very nice, combined with Overcoat (Sleep Powders, Hail, etc..) and it had plenty of switch ins. Random Scalds were absorbed by Toad, while physical attackers were checked by Granbull/Seismitoad. Very good overall.

The 6th Position

Now, this is the position I always have trouble with. I have a cleric, defogger, bulky offensive walls and this spot is always up for grabs. I tried Mega Scept with Leech Seed and it was OK. Mega Amphy/Pidgeot were good candidates as well. I had about 6.10% to play around with. This spot has always been pretty tough and usually can make/break some games. I just can't find one mon that really jives with the rest of the team. I am focused more on a special attacker, since my team is pretty physical (Crobat, Escavalier, Umbreon, Granbull). Here are some ideas I've been playing with:

Work Up Refresh M-Pidgeot
Agility M-Ampharos
Gimmicky Magician set with Delphox (new pinch berries were just released, so I'm tempted to try something with Magician)
CM Reuniclus (good synergy with team and breaks stall)
CritDra (Focus Energy +Agiltiy)
M-Camerupt (STABs are real wall breakers)
Yanmega (LO Speedboosting)

Any thoughts? I'm currently stuck at just under 1400 (dropped a bunch).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)