The UU Theorymon Project - See Post #81!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shamelessly stolen from NU; thanks Raseri and Mysteria :]

The UU Theorymon Project

Here, we will be discussing potential buffs (a new ability, a new move, or a new typing) on a Pokemon, and how it will positively impact its niche in the UU metagame. I'm also going to allow for some ORAS theorymoning, but please just stick to the confirmed Mega-Evolutions and what effect they may have on the UU metagame.

I am making some changes from the NU version of this thread however. There will be 4 Pokemon per round, one for each type of buff as shown:
  • New move
  • New ability
  • New typing
  • New stats
Also, feel free to add a wildcard entry. Only one wildcard entry may win per week, and it may only capitalize on two of the buffs (ie; new typing and a new move). The theorymon suspects will be discussed for a week or until discussion becomes stagnant, then a voting period will begin. Whoever has the best suggestion per category will win for that week and the winning Pokemon will be put in our archive. Because up to five people can win per round, you need to win twice to earn a Community Contributor nomination point. Players who win from wildcard submissions however only have to win once to earn a Community Contributor nomination point.

When discussing the suspects, here is what you want to be looking at:
  • How will this buff positively impact the Pokemon?
  • How will this buff impact the entire UU Metagame?
  • Is this buff outclassed by other Pokemon?
  • Can this Pokemon now take on different roles?
  • Will this Pokemon see a rise in the Viabilty Ranking thread? By how much and why?
PLEASE follow these rules:
  • Don't suggest changes about Pokemon that are already pretty viable in UU. Of course the term 'pretty viable' is open to interpretation, so to be more specific, everything in B rank and below in the Viability Ranking thread is fair game.
  • Don’t suggest changes that may make a Pokemon broken
  • Only theorymon ideas that bring positives to the UU metagame and have useful implications will be picked, which means no Huge Power on random Pokemon and other similar buffs.
  • You can only add a secondary typing to Pokemon of one type, or change the second type of a dual-typed Pokemon.
  • Those changes should at the very least not contradict flavor. They don’t have to fit a Pokemon’s flavor perfectly, but don’t suggest a secondary Fire-type for Grass-types for example.
  • If you change the stats to a Pokemon, its BST can only increase by 20. Stats can be rearranged however, but cannot be decreased or increased by more than 20 as well.

This week's suspects are...

Jolteon | Slowking | Escavalier | Goodra
Edit: On behalf of the moderators in this subforum, I'll be extensively moderating this thread. I don't want this to become a hole for shitposting like the Cores Thread did. Follow the above rules and think before posting, and everybody will get along fine :]

Last edited:
Eyy combining my two loves: UU and Theorymon.

New Type:
Goodra

Type: Dragon/Fairy
Flavour: Look at the fucker lol

This basically makes Goodra, a mediocre dragon as of now, very very viable. Dragon/Fairy stops some of its former hardest checks/counters before (IE Hydra, Haxorus) and makes it hard counter them. At cost, however, it becomes more weak to Jirachi, Metagross, etc. It'll surely be an asset for stall.

New Ability:
Escavalier

Ability: No Guard

Fuck Megahorn misses let's be real. This is both a pro and con because it can hit harder fear free but now stuff like Fire Blast will never miss :/

I'll edit the rest in later I'm excessively lazy

Last edited:
I actually run the NU version of this as well as co-lead the OU version of this, so this is where it's at for me :]

Anyways

New Stat:
Slowking

+20 Special Attack

One of Slowking's biggest problems is not hitting hard enough. Since it is usually used as an Assault Vest tank, I think the +20 Special Attack can actually make Slowking much more usable. Slowking's Base 100 Special Attack stat is by no means bad, but when used as an Assault Vest tank with a solid 120 Base Special Attack, it actually not only becomes a decent defensive threat, but can still hit for solid damage even with minimal investment.

New Move:
Jolteon

Aura Sphere

I think this is more or less my submission due to the fact that Raikou gets Aura Sphere, but w/e it still makes sense for some reason. Jolteon can now use Aura Sphere to hit Hydreigon and Steel-types in the tier. Although it relies on hazard support to get most of the KOs, such as the OHKO on Krookodile with Stealth Rock, and the 2HKO on physically defensive Porygon2 after Stealth Rock, given that these are both Specs calcs.

New Ability:
Goodra

Regenerator

I can't even stress how useful this is. Also an Assault Vest tank, Goodra can have pseudo-reliable recovery in switcing in and out to recover its HP, making it almost impossible to bypass on the special side with an Assault Vest.

New Typing:
Escavalier

Steel

This one is pretty bad and is more a downgrade, but since I've already used every other Pokemon and buff, I guess I kinda have to do this. This is flavor wise a theorymon, and it's because Escavalier looks more like just steel than a bug at all

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Or, how about...

Recover Goodra

Goodra's biggest flaw atm is probably its lack of reliable recovery. However, if Goodra could heal itself, it would definitely be a much better special tank. It could pack a good punch with its solid offensive presence and be able to repeatedly counter Chandelure and friends. Goodra can keep itself healthy for a much longer time if it had Recover and it could serve as a great special tank overall. It could pack a punch with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Sludge Bomb, and be able to put some holes in teams and tank well. This would mitigate its greatest flaw, its lack of reliable recovery.

This also kinda makes flavor sense, since Goodra lives in swamps, and is relatively similar to Quagsire and Gastrodon, who both learn Recover. Only that Goodra is a dragon ofc.

Nasty Plot Jolteon

Jolteon is a little weak, but Nasty Plot could make it a perfectly viable option as a sweeper. It could set up to +2, and it could fire strong Thunderbolts and HP Ices after a single boost, so it could be a nice sweeper. I'm thinking something among the lines of NP/T-bolt/HP Ice/Either Signal beam or Baton Pass. Aside from being stronger more quickly, Baton Pass would also be its coolest advantage over Raikou. NastyPass as a whole is also cool stuff, so yeah.

Jolteon is kind of an agitable Pokemon, so I guess NP would be very reasonable to have.

I'll talk about the other two later.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Goodra

U-turn

If anyone needs a momentum move, it's fucking Goodra. This is goodra's main downfall - there's just so much it can't break through, if it's physical or it's special. Its incredible bulk makes it a powerhouse, but without the ability to shift that momentum to another member of the team, it's hardly as useful. U-turn / Volt-Switch singlehandedly makes mon's use of AV viable, and given that one of Goodra's best sets is already AV, this makes Goodra an absolute monster. This is what it needs to become a top-tier UU poke like it should be.

New Ability:
Escavalier

Tough Claws

So do lances count as claws? No? Well too bad, I'm doing this anyway. Escavalier's main problem isn't exactly its power, but what doesn't want more power? Usually Escavalier runs a set of Drill Run, Iron Head, Knock Off and Megahorn. All of these moves make contact meaning they get a 33% boost in power. If you are still not impressed look at these calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Escavalier Megahorn vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 367-433 (69.3 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Escavalier Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Aggron: 392-464 (113.9 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Escavalier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 288-340 (71.2 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hope I'm doing this right, cause I'm not 100% sure on how the Wildcard thing works, and I never really messed with these kinda threads much haha. But I do have some changes I could definitely visualize. Mind putting a decent example post in the OP?

New Move:
Spikes Jolteon

Flavor (I refuse to succumb to your old English way of spelling crap): Jolteon's body is covered in pointy bristles, and one of its Pokedex entries literally reads: "If agitated, it uses electricity to straighten out its fur and launch it in small bunches." Of course this mainly suggests the move Pin Missile, which it does get, but a more heightened version of this concept could lead to something akin to laying Spikes.

With Spikes in its movepool, Jolteon can maintain a role similar to Spikes Greninja in OU (and I guess Accelgor to some extent?) being a fast, hard-hitting Pokemon with access to the move. Thanks to Mew's absence, being an Electric-type allows it to be pretty much the only user of Spikes capable of beating every single Defog user (and majority of Rapid Spin users) in the tier one-on-one. While this may bring a similar parallel in mind to Galvantula, another fast Electric-type hazard user, it hits significantly harder, and blazing fast base 130 Speed means Jolteon outspeeds Stallbreaker Crobat (at the very worst, ties if for whatever reason they're running max Speed on it), and outruns standard Mega Aerodactyl pre-Mega Evolution (unless said Aero is also for whatever wack reason, running max Speed Jolly, then you just tie). Empoleon, Forretress, Blastoise, and Starmie really can't answer to this thing by themselves, and Donphan is the only Pokemon in the meta able to go toe-to-toe with Jolteon just to get rid of its hazards.

This in itself would probably cause a spike (hahaha) in either Spinners/Defoggers (basically Donphan and SpD Gligar, who is only 2HKOed by HP Ice) who can still handle Jolteon, or it would cause an increase in things like Scarf Dugtrio Krookodile just to trap it and keep it in check due to its awesome Speed and ability to gain momentum. Most likely would get this guy to B- on the Viability Rankings at the absolute worst because it has a bit of everything the other Spikes users lack, which would give it a solid niche...Froslass and Accelgor is forced to be used as a lead, whereas Jolteon can just come in at any point in a match and set up Spikes. Unlike Roserade and Chesnaught, it isn't forced out by the Flying-types coming in to use Defog (Aero, Crobat), and Empoleon can't even risk taking a from it hit just to use Defog. And unlike Forretress, it isn't so brutally passive that it can easily be set up on.

Stat Change:
+20 Def on Goodra

Flavor: Goodra's big, round, friendly, and huggable. While its SpD is titanic, you'd really think it could also take some physical hits too.

Honestly it's not a huge gamechanger overall as it is the fact it really irritates me that it has a high chance to get 2HKOed by SCARF Darmanitan's Flare Blitz when it freaking resists the move. The extra Defense would make it an all-around better Pokemon at tanking hits with a ridiculous spread of 90/90/150 defenses, and if you just believe hard enough you might actually be able to pull off a Physically Defensive set and not get clowned for it, considering it wouldn't be too far from Mega Ampharos' 90/105 physical defenses. Only difference is Goodra has one less (somewhat annoying) weakness, allowing it more switch initiative, on top of ability to use Leftovers, which keeps it going longer.

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 180-213 (46.9 - 55.6%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO <-- This is regular Goodra
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 147-173 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO <-- This is new and improved Goodra w/more hugging capacity

New Ability:
Guts Escavalier

Flavor: Took me a while to think this one through and I was looking at its Dex description, which reads: "They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely." You gotta have heart to do something like that, and pretty much in turn that screamed "GUTS" to me. Because what better way to face someone bravely when in trouble than to get a boost from the thing that's plaguing you, where most other people would've given up?

This lets Escavalier be the Heracross in our hearts now that he's departed from UU, and this in turn means if Escavalier switches into a Scald and gets burned... He. Hits. HARD. Bonus points if you get paralyzed somehow, it's pretty much game over. Escavalier's immune to Toxic which means you have to rely on being burned or paralyzed to trigger the ability, but on the positive note, unlike Heracross (and to some extent, Machamp, who likes a bit of Speed on his plate), Escavalier has zero qualms about being randomly paralyzed by Ampharos' Static ability or switching into a stray Thunder Wave. And bulky Water-types that normally checked it and dismissed it with a Scald burn are now getting knocked into next year. If you thought Heracross was strong with its base 125 Atk...Notice Escav has base 135. It'd pretty much be among the BEST wallbreakers in the tier hands down, especially under Trick Room (another thing Heracross couldn't do quite as nicely). Well on the plus side unlike with Heracross, you won't be breaking through Mega Aggron anytime soon, even with CB Guts Drill Run. :[

252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Escavalier Megahorn vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 414-487 (78.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Escavalier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 319-376 (75.9 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

^ BRUH basically you kill stuff. If its name isn't Mega Aggron, it's taking an L. Sableye couldn't even handle you, Stall in general lacking Mega Aggron or defensive Arcanine couldn't even handle you. Forry is only 3HKOed by Knock Off I guess but it's not hard to wear that guy down.

Edit: Oh yeah, extra points if you use some kinda RestTalk SD set. Big cojones, man. Or just RestTalk period.

New Typing:
Water/Fairy Slowking

Flavor: Okay this one pushes the bounds of even my imagination a bit, and I don't have much to show for this except the fact Slowking's pink, friendly-looking, and has access to Psychic-type moves. This encompasses a surprising number of Fairy-types, not gonna lie.

Water/Fairy Slowking is something I thought about when I looked at how being part Psychic-type is a liability for a number of Pokemon due to the huge influx of Dark-types and the abuse of Knock Off and my Guts Escavalier in UU. This with poor physical Defense (when uninvested) are what really hold Slowking back, so what if we could change it by giving it a typing that lets it check a huge chunk of the Meta? On one hand Slowking's somewhat balanced in that it has no Fairy-type moves of its own to abuse, so the typing is strictly for defensive benefits. But those benefits honestly give it a ton of switch-in opportunities that allow it to be a pivot that checks so many relevant mons by itself, so the point it's pretty much 100% worth it. Hydreigon, Houndoom, Mienshao, Machamp, in fact, screw it, every Dragon-type not named Ampharos tbh, every Dark-type, every Fighting-type not named Toxicroak (Funny you still lost to this because of +2 Sucker Punch being a thing and Gunk Shot hurting like heck), and every Bug-type not named Galvantula (unless you were AV, then you prolly still crush this) in the tier is put into a box. It'd be so ridiculously easy to build cores with Slowking, and that's just off typing and stats alone, with no regard to the sets it might be running. Being a Fairy-type who doesn't give a crap about Fire-types or Steel-types (what up Scald/Fire Blast) AND still able to check Crobat (what up Ice Beam/Psyshock) would put Slowking into A rank, no doubt. In my opinion at least.

New Stats:
Jolteon

Speed 130 -> 140
Special Attack 110 -> 120

We now have a reliable way to outspeed Crobat and Mega Aero (who has to run 176 Jolly to outspeed). I mean, I'm pretty sure cats hunt birds (and bats? don't quote me on that), and not the other way around.

New Move:
Escavalier

Heal Order

Sorta referencing the medieval hierarchy like Vespiquen, Escavalier too has servants to wait on him hand and foot. Gives him a form of reliable recovery, which is really cool on bulky attackers.

New Typing:
Goodra

Dragon -> Dragon/Poison

He's really gooey. All that gunk might be a little hazardous to your health. Now he can check Florges and other Fairies more reliably with Poison STAB.

New Ability:
Slowking

Regenerator -> Filter

Don't mind him, he's just kinda slow. Doesn't really get the fact that Dark Pulse, Thunderbolt, etc. is supposed to hurt as much as it does because of his typing.

New Move:
Jolteon

Nasty Plot

Lacking much needed coverage, a crazy boosting move like Nasty Plot could mend that need for coverage and let Jolteon's pure high power speak for itself. With speed rivaled by the liked of Crobat and Aero, a +2 Jolteon can really wreck havoc with STAB and maybe one or two coverage moves in HP Ice/Grass / Shadow Ball / Signal Beam. Two interesting things to note imo are Jolteon's acess to Agility. Thus it can run a double dance set, similar to what aided to Thundurus brokeness. The second thing is acess to Baton Pass! Having poor physical defences, making Jolteon's task to set-up much harder ( and RK'ed rather easily by priorities like Sucker Punch and Extreemespeed no matter how much it boosts, thus it won't break Jolt ), it is the sheer power to cause switch-in's that help it set-up while the opponent switches out and after the Jolteon is faster (via Agility or by natural high speed) it can pass the boosts realiably to a proper recipient.
edit : also, flavour-wise - Jolteon always had this mean snicky facial expression like he is plotting something nasty or just kinda pissed. :D

edit : damn it, I didn't see that this has already been proposed. oh well. :)

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mazz this thread is fucking awesome. Got that outta the way, now my nominations.

Goodra: Dragon Water, Hydro Pump, +10 Special Attack
(is this legal?)

Flavor: It's made of goo, a liquid. Yeet.

Competitive Value: OK so this gives it 4x Fire and Water resistances, with his monstrous special bulk. It also gives him a STAB that hits everything that resists dragon neutrally except for like Empoleon. The SpA boost means he hits just a bit harder, and isn't as much of a sitting duck. Hydro Pump is so he doesn't have to use Muddy Water. It also makes sense since he could use moisture to shoot gooey water i guess. This would give him better resistances only at the cost of a neutrality to Electric, since he still has Sap Sipper. the typing hits almost all the stuff that previously checked goodra, so it could wear them down until they couldnt safely switch in. I think this would really help Goodra's Viablity, increasing the number of things it can switch on, and decreasing its safe checks.

Escavalier: U-turn.

Flavor: It makes enough sense since he's a bug, its not like scizor is very fast either.

Competitive value: This makes the AV set really awesome, giving it a way to shift momentum back to you tanzk said special hit. Also it will hurt off of a base 130 iirc (120? idk) attack stat. It would kinda function similarly to a mega ampharos volt switch (minus the ground immunity :D), giving you a safe switch into one of your teammates. Also U-turn makes anything that gets it better, especially with STAB.

Slowking and Jolteon: Got nothin. Others took good ones,

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Jolteon

NEW ABILITY: Download

While losing Volt Absorb makes Jolteon more difficult to switch in, a Download boost would make it a relevant threat against many who could otherwise wall its attacks. Download and a fast Volt Switch would make Jolt a great way of wearing down a team and scouting early game, without turning Jolt into a totally unstoppable force like Genesect thanks to Jolt's poor defensive stats/typing and subpar movepool.

Thematically, Download fits right in for the electric Eeveelution.

Escavalier

NEW MOVE: King's Shield

With King's Shield, the Bug Knight can become an excellent answer to powerful physical attackers thanks to the threat of attack drops. The prevalence of fire spam in UU is suddenly less of a problem, as Darm or Arcanine risks taking a heavy drop if they attempt to incinerate our poor knight. Without priority or Stance Change, this will boost Escavalier without turning him into another Aegislash.

Flavor-wise? Come on, he's an armored knight. It's a perfect fit.

Goodra

NEW TYPING: Dragon/Water

Goodra desperately needs a better typing than pure Dragon. A water typing removes her Ice weakness and gives her a new resistance to Steel, to help her better stand up to physical attackers. It also gives her a huge 4x resist to Fire and Water. From an offensive point of view, STAB on Muddy Water is fantastic, and makes her Hydration Rest sets actually viable. Dragon/Water is a great offensive typing in UU, so she can use Draco Meteor/Muddy Water as her main offensive moves and use the remaining two for utility instead.

Thematically, she's literally dripping right now. She's a friggin' water slug. How does Water typing NOT make sense?

Slowking

NEW STATS: +10 SpAt, +5 HP

It's good to be the king. With base 110 SpAt, Slowking can actually threaten some of his counters without needing Foul Play, and his Specs set becomes viable. The HP bump helps him wall what he's meant to wall, and helps buffer his relatively frail physical side, without being overwhelming.

Thematically, this guy's the KING. Why does he have more or less the same stats as the Bro, just swapped into a less useful configuration? Let him have some punch when he wields that scepter, dang it!

Last edited:
Sage of the 6 you're only able to give Goodra one buff, and you've given it three. You'll need to fix that. I'm glad you like the thread!

Also, to clarify the wildcard, as I've had some people ask about it: The wildcard entry can be any Pokemon lower than B-Rank on the Viability Ranking thread (or one on the RU Viability Ranking thread). You are allowed to give it two buffs, but you must submit a buff for every suspect this week. Pokemon that win wildcard entries can, and probably will, still be used as a suspect in later rounds. Their shot at wildcard titles are to simply maximize their effectiveness in the UU metagame.

New Move
Hydro Pump Slowking

The Slow Brothers can learn Fire Blast. They can learn Blizzard. But they can't learn their home-type Water move Hydro Pump. This would make Slowking's NP, Trick Room, and possibly Choice Specs sets significantly more dangerous, as well as giving Slowking a niche apart from Slowbro (in a world where Bro still exists in UU, I guess).

New Ability
Fur Coat Jolteon

Look at him, being all spikey and shit. You wouldn't want to punch that. Fur Coat patches up Jolteon's straight-up terribad physical bulk and makes him a terrific Flying-type check.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Fur Coat Jolteon: 101-120 (37.2 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Without Rocks, Honchkrow needs some damn good rolls for Sucker Punch to get the follow-up KO, but you're also free to Sub on Sucker Punch, Baton Pass a Work Up, or something else like that.

New Typing
Dragon/Water Goodra

It was either Water or Poison for a sub-type. Dude's literally dripping in battle. Dragon/Water is historically a fantastic typing, retaining only two weaknesses (one before Fairy's introduction). Goodra doesn't get Hydro Pump, Scald, or Surf, but it does get Muddy Water and Aqua Tail, giving it back-up STAB.

New Stats
+20 HP Escavalier

Why is a knight so squishy? I mean, yeah, Fire weakness, but that aside, he suffers from his HP holding him back. Not anymore, now he's straight-up obnoxiously bulky with one of the, hands down, best defensive typings in the game. Scald still sucks, but that's easily the most broken move in the game (yeah I said it) so barring giving him something silly like Dry Skin (which fits Accelgor better anyway) there's not a lot to be done about that. Anyway, adding that HP makes Escavalier monstrous and damn tough to take down.

Those are my nominations. After reading Goodra's entry on Bulbapedia I was SO CLOSE to buffing its Attack and maybe Defense (Pokedex entry says it punches like a hundred champion boxers), but I couldn't think of a good typing to give to Escavalier. If it got a decent Fighting move I would have given it Bug/Fighting, which would have been fantastic to partially fill Heracross' niche, but all it gets is Rock Smash, Reversal, and Focus Blast.

WHY DOES ESCAVALIER GET FOCUS BLAST.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sage of the 6 you're only able to give Goodra one buff, and you've given it three. You'll need to fix that. I'm glad you like the thread!

Also, to clarify the wildcard, as I've had some people ask about it: The wildcard entry can be any Pokemon lower than B-Rank on the Viability Ranking thread (or one on the RU Viability Ranking thread). You are allowed to give it two buffs, but you must submit a buff for every suspect this week. Pokemon that win wildcard entries can, and probably will, still be used as a suspect in later rounds. Their shot at wildcard titles are to simply maximize their effectiveness in the UU metagame.
Ok sorry was a little unclear on the rules, I'll probably wait until the next round of mons to do this, lurk moar lol.

Doublade
Move Addition: King's Shield

King's Shield was locked away to big brother Aegislash to make his signature ability work. Doublade would LOVE this addition to help bait knock off users and create set up opportunities for both himself and teammates.

Before someone says anything, this wouldn't be broken like Aegi because of reliance on Eviolite and lack of stance change to make him have dumb stats.

I'm a bit late to the party it seems, so I'll reserve a couple with generic explanations, may add calcs later. Note: some of these may have been stolen from the OU Theorymon thread, but I don't think they're blatantly broken in UU. If you feel they are, then just disregard them then.

Jolteon w/Lightningrod (New Ability): This one is pretty simple to understand, it's just a more offensive version of his current ability in Volt Absorb. He's already quite fast, but 110 SpA isn't anything to write home about in UU, especially with his somewhat lacking coverage options. This makes him just a bit more threatening to switch in on Volt Switch users, since he's pretty frail anyways and will likely be one shot by whatever switches in on him anyway, so putting a larger dent in that switch-in seems more valuable to me. This also kinda reminds me of the Growtheons from GSC which I liked.

Goodra w/Poison Heal (New Ability): Goodra now becomes a pain for Stall teams to deal with, with a solid defensive type and full immunity to status. It also gives him somewhat reliable recovery, since although it's not quite as quick as Recover, he won't have to take a free hit while healing. He also has the potential to go full Gliscor and SubToxic things. Imo this gives him not only the longevity that the other options have but also a status immunity that makes him even harder to take down.

Escavalier w/Dry Skin (New Ability): Since he already has decent bulk with a great defensive typing, Dry Skin gives him another type that he can switch into, and the amplified Fire weakness doesn't even matter that much since he is destroyed by those moves anyway. Most importantly perhaps, this gives him a switch-in to Scald that so he won't be neutered by burns nearly as much. I think Alomomola still gets a Wish off though, but he can hard counter CroCune and Tentacruel, and beat either defensive Swampert or Mega Blastoise with band/AV respectively. In general, a solid check to defensive Water-types.

Slowking w/Simple (New Ability): There are two routes you can go with this one. First is a physically defensive Calm Mind set with Slack Off, Leftovers, and 2 Attacks. This would be such a pain to take down at +2 SpD, and hit decently hard at +2 SpA, and has shades of Amnesia Slowbro from RBY. The other is a potentially terrifying Nasty Plot/Trick Room set which would make him one of the fastest pokes in the tier and/or go straight to +4 after one boost to wreak havoc. Pretty terrifying if you ask me.

Wildcard: Tyrantrum w/Rock Head (New Ability) and Zen Headbutt (New Move): For my wildcard entry (I hope I'm doing this right), I'm choosing Tyrantrum, who is somewhat expected to get Rock Head at some point, and using Play Rough as the second buff on top of that. The big boon about this is obviously the use of a recoil-free Head Smash off a huge base 121 Attack. He also has enough speed to outrun the entire boosted metagame at +1. Zen Headbutt is his best option for Chesnaught, Machamp, and Virizion, and a great coverage move in general since he'd rather use Head Smash or Earthquake on just about everything else. I don't think this is any worse than the monsters like Darmanitan or Haxorus that reside in UU.

Let me know if I did something wrong (or if I did something too well) and I'll try and change it.

EDIT: Changed Play Rough to Zen Headbutt 'cause flavor.

Last edited:
Wildcard: Tyrantrum w/Rock Head (New Ability) and Play Rough (New Move): For my wildcard entry (I hope I'm doing this right), I'm choosing Tyrantrum, who is somewhat expected to get Rock Head at some point, and using Play Rough as the second buff on top of that. The big boon about this is obviously the use of a recoil-free Head Smash off a huge base 121 Attack. He also has enough speed to outrun the entire boosted metagame at +1. Play Rough is his best option for Krookodile, Chesnaught, Machamp, and Virizion, and the best coverage move in general since he'd rather use Head Smash or Earthquake on just about everything else. I don't think this is any worse than the monsters like Darmanitan or Haxorus that reside in UU.
Could I get you to elaborate on why Tyrantrum would get Play Rough? I have a rough idea in my mind, but I'd like to see where your head's at.

Let that serve as a reminder for other posters; your buffs have to make sense. Eliminating checks or counters is not reason enough for that buff to exist.

Could I get you to elaborate on why Tyrantrum would get Play Rough? I have a rough idea in my mind, but I'd like to see where your head's at.

Let that serve as a reminder for other posters; your buffs have to make sense. Eliminating checks or counters is not reason enough for that buff to exist.
My understanding on what Play Rough actually is flavor-wise was kind of fuzzy. I just looked at the list of Pokemon who can get it by egg move, saw Dragalge and Donphan in addition to several Dark- and Poison-types that seemed to clash with the move's Fairy-typing, and figured it wouldn't be too far-fetched for Tyrantrum to get it. And Tyrantrum got Charm, so the Fairy influence was there. My thought process was kind of "Could it get Play Rough? Yeah I can see it. It certainly isn't playing nice," and I didn't see decisive evidence against it at the time. That said, after looking up actual translations of the move from other languages (which generally went to some form of "caress"), I'll admit it no longer makes as much sense to me in terms of flavor for Tyrantrum. It could still work, but it's kind of a stretch. I'm thinking of replacing it with Zen Headbutt, since Salamence, Hydreigon, and Rampardos get it, and Tyrantrum seems closer to those guys with regards to flavor. I could also just cut out the extra move, since Rock Head is the main buff I was going for.

tl;dr Do your homework guys, don't force the perfect move if the flavor isn't quite there.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For my wild card, I have a thought:

Drapion

NEW ABILITY: Tough Claws
NEW MOVE: Dragon Tail

From Drapion's pokedex entry: "It has the power in its clawed arms to make scrap of a car. The tips of its claws release poison." Look at those claws. Those things are tough. As for Dragon Tail... really, it just bothers me that it doesn't get it. It gets Iron Tail and Aqua Tail... why not Dragon Tail? Lickitung of all things gets Dragon Tail, but not Drapion, the dragonish-looking thing that's basically all tail?

Anyhow, I love Drapion. Always have. I love its look, I love the Poison/Dark typing, I love its bulk and surprising speed, I love its movepool. But it just can't quite hang offensively, and without some setup, it doesn't do that well. I know it has some niches in UU, but they're middlin' at best.

I'd originally thought of screwing around with its stats, but I knew it deserved a better ability. None of its abilities really make sense. My first thought was Intimidate, but that's really encroaching on Krookodile's territory. But Tough Claws... without even messing with its stats, Tough Claws makes it pack a surprising punch.

Tough Claws would turn Drapion into a solid but not overwhelming offensive threat in UU, with several different sets. Its standard Swords Dance + three attacks set with a Life Orb suddenly means it's a surprisingly effective wallbreaker. It lacks some of the sheer power of, say, Haxorus, but STAB and Tough Claws-boosted Knock Off goes a long way. It could also run a defensive tank, especially with the addition of Dragon Tail so that it does not have to rely on Whirlwind for phazing. With Tough Claws it no longer absolutely needs Life Orb to have any punch behind it, so you could run an AV set with Knock Off/Dragon Tail/Poison Jab/Aqua Tail, or run a Toxic Spikes set that can actually stop most opposing defoggers (Toxic Spikes/Knock Off/Dragon Tail/Taunt sounds pretty good, although you might want Poison Jab in there to keep Florges from switching in and using Aromatherapy).

(I actually originally had Sucker Punch in over Dragon Tail, which is obviously much better... but Dragon Tail is a better fit. Drapion doesn't get any other punching type moves, and Tough Claws-boosted STAB Sucker Punch was actually a pretty scary priority move even off of base 90 Attack. Seriously, it OHKOs Darmanitan without any boosts. I mean, I know Darmanitan isn't exactly a pillar of defense, but that's just silly.)

Okay, so seeing that the activity for this thread has tapered off, I'll start the voting process. Simply cast your vote for which buff you liked the best for each Pokémon, plus for our two wildcard entries.

Also MicfiJasan I was thinking that of you had suggested that Tyrunt could learn Play Rough, as it fits the bill for it, then it would make sense for Tyrantrum to get it. Zen Headbutt works just as well though.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Guts Escavalier

Spikes Jolteon

Water / Fairy Slowking

U-turn Goodra

For wildcard the Drapion I guess

Water/Fairy Slowking

Spikes Jolteon

Heal Order Escavalier

Poison Heal Goodra

My vote for wildcard goes to Drapion with Tough Claws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)