The Venting Thread (trolls itt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The purpose of this thread is to post things that irritate, upset, or make you mad. Some other posters will sympathize. Other posters will make fun of you for it. Still other posters won't even bother reading your posts. And some posters will even offer you advice. The main point is to not worry about it, and just vent away. If something is bothering you, then just pile it on here. Don't worry what the rest of smogon thinks. Believe me, this is very therapeutic. For example, the following are things that I absolutely can't stand:

Mispronunciations or other dumb mistakes with use of the English language. Some examples:

"Nuclear" pronounced as "new-cue-lar"
"Jewelry" pronounced as "joo-ler-ree"

"PIN number"
"VIN number"
"ATM machine"

"definatly"
"seperately"
"personel"

improper juxtapositions of "your/you're" and "there/they're/their"

"u", "r", "2", "lol", and other text-slang being used in professional emails and term papers.

Anyone else find these unusually irritating?

EDIT: Changed title to use another euphemism that CK apparently hates.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
My biggest is probably when people mispronounce Mario "may-ree-oh".

That's not how you fucking say it. It doesn't matter if you don't want to say it "Mar-e-oh", you can't just pronounce things however you please.

I hate just about any short form of a word - r, u or whatever. It's just really lazy. Either that or the person who's typing is retarded enough to not know how to spell. I also hate it when people mix up "they're" "their" and "there". If you don't know the difference, learn it, or don't say it at all.

As for pronunciations, I don't really find it annoying. Rather, it's interesting to see how a language deviates from being a simple one to a complex one which requires practice to learn well.

I'm not really annoyed by this considering I do it all the time because it amuses me!! What I'm more annoyed by is people who are overly formal and have that snooty cat attitude all the time even on things like AIM or text. Like using periods all the time for just a short response that doesn't require one. That's annoying!!

People who write thru. Really? Through is only like three more letters. Just write them. You've already wrote more than half the word. Just finish it.

People who misuse numbers in license plates. Shit like CU L8TER. The 8 is not an A it's eight. You don't need the T. I also saw 2wice before. Not sure what the hell that was supposed to be other than an idiot using a 2 as a T.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Two-wice.

I guess a retard saying that makes it work. Given the kind of people who would have that kind of number plate, it works well for them.

Oh my gosh! I HATE it when people make grammatical errors!

One thing I really can't stand is the comma splice:

"I don't know, I think this is fine."
NO!!! NEVER USE A COMMA TO SEPARATE TWO INDEPENDENT CLAUSES!! You need either a period or a semicolon.

Another thing that irritates me is misplaced apostrophes, especially ones that are erroneously used in plurals, as in "Book's for sale!" Apostrophes are meant to denote possession, not plurals. Please get it right.

I kind of want to buy this for everyone on the internet: http://shop.theoatmeal.com/products/grammar-pack
It is full of win.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
It's kind of instinct in an English speaker's mind to read '2wice' as 'twice' without skipping a beat, just like you can read '5ive' like 'five'. I actually think it's kind of interesting.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The msot itenrsnietg tnihg in my onpoiin is that you can sltil read this pfcreelty!

That's no excuse for terrible spelling though.

that would be an interesting sale pitch though

book's for sale!

so fucking tricky
I swear if I open a book store I'm doing that and putting a single book on sale
it'll be hilarious

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Oh my gosh! I HATE it when people make grammatical errors!

One thing I really can't stand is the comma splice:

"I don't know, I think this is fine."
NO!!! NEVER USE A COMMA TO SEPARATE TWO INDEPENDENT CLAUSES!! You need either a period or a semicolon.

Another thing that irritates me is misplaced apostrophes, especially ones that are erroneously used in plurals, as in "Book's for sale!" Apostrophes are meant to denote possession, not plurals. Please get it right.

I kind of want to buy this for everyone on the internet: http://shop.theoatmeal.com/products/grammar-pack
It is full of win.
honestly i am laughing and shaking my head because you rant about grammar, and then do that. i hate all that win/lose/epic BULLSHIT

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
honestly i am laughing and shaking my head because you rant about grammar, and then do that. i hate all that win/lose/epic BULLSHIT
Don't forget 'fail'. God, I fucking hate that word.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that 'full of win' isn't grammatically correct.

Mispronunciations or other dumb mistakes with use of the English language. Some examples:

"Nuclear" pronounced as "new-cue-lar"
"Jewelry" pronounced as "joo-ler-ree"

"PIN number"
"VIN number"
"ATM machine"

"definatly"
"seperately"
"personel"

improper juxtapositions of "your/you're" and "there/they're/their"

"u", "r", "2", "lol", and other text-slang being used in professional emails and term papers.

Anyone else find these unusually irritating?
Well, in the UK, we don't feel the need to remove letters from words and so "jewelry" is actually spelt "jewellery" and hence why it may be pronounced in such a way.

What I did wasn't at all grammatically incorrect; it may be annoying to some people, but it is still perfectly acceptable grammatically. Also, that comma you used was unnecessary. I win.

use of "u" non ironically, especially when it is used in a contraction like "u're bad at grammar"... I mean if you're going to get the punctuation correct come on just spell the damn word.

I think usage of PIN number, ATM machine, etc is acceptable simply because those terms are used a lot. in a way that's circular logic, but it makes sense if you see language (as I do) as an evolving concept. "ATM" in the term "ATM machine" doesn't mean "automated teller machine" so much as "money withdrawing".

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
it was correct, but the joke was that microsoft can't respond BECAUSE IT'S SO STUPID ADFLJKAHDGHAKDFG

DAMMIT TIK YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS

HAVING TO EXPLAIN A JOKE

COMMA AOCMCMA,A,,

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
when people whine on the internet instead of doing anything about it
Little do you know that, in addition to posting this here, I regularly headbutt people in the face when I hear/see them commit these errors I listed in my original post.

I must admit I make the comma splice mistake sometimes, but only because a comma, to me, simply represents a pause. I am fully aware this is not grammatically correct, but it is subtle enough that only the most technical linguists will pick up on it.

P.S. see what I did there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)