1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Victory Star - Trick Room

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by SansNickel, Jul 30, 2013.

1. SansNickel

SansNickel

Trick Room has always been thought of as not viable for OU, and I guess in a way that's true but I don't think it's completely obsolete. The main problem I find is not the setting up and the short 5-turn timer, but rather the fact that most users of trick room are psychic-typed. Being weak to pursuit and u-turn especially with a trick room team absolutely sucks. But then again, you can work around most things.

The team:

[​IMG]
    Victini @ Flame Plate
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - V-create
    - Bolt Strike
    - U-turn
    - Trick Room
    As the title suggests, Victini is the MVP of this team. V-create just damages everything, and the speed drop makes Victini even faster in trick room. The fact that I don't have to invest in speed means that I can invest in bulk, which means Victini can actually take a hit. Many times Victini can even come in when trick room isn't set up, force a switch (whether the opponent thinks I'm the revenge killer or simply because of the match-up) and then set up trick room itself. Bolt strike is great for water types that love to switch in. U-turn is used over brick break because both Conkeldurr and Reuniclus have fighting moves, and u-turn is great on the last turn of trick room to safely switch out.

[​IMG]
    Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    This thing is a great multipurpose wall and can switch in on a variety of threats. It effectively walls jellicent, heatran, chandelure, and many others, and is also useful for switching into dragonite's outrage thanks to a traced multiscale. Boltbeam with recover as usual, and of course trick room. The fact that this thing walls heatran and chandelure also means that I can safely spam V-create with victini. It also has decent synergy with jellicent, being immune to the ghost type attacks while jellicent deals with the fighting.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Ice Punch/Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Healing Wish
    Jirachi can also take outrages, and kill back with ice punch. Trick room and u-turn allow a safer switch-in to one of my sweepers. Healing wish is the main purpose though. That move by itself completely changes the game. After using trick room, I can use healing wish to bring back one of my sweepers and effectively finish the game. That's the main reason I'm using jirachi over bronzong. I'm also using jirachi over cresselia because jirachi's steel typing really helps, and trick room teams really don't need the bug, ghost, and dark weaknesses. Sometimes I feel I should run stealth rock because it definitely helps my sweepers get the OHKO's and 2HKO's that they need, but ice punch is still nice. I'm also considering Wish... but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Trick Room
    Jellicent is cool. Although its weak to ghost and dark, just like psychic types, it's great that it's not weak the bug. Will-o-wisp is great and lets me more comfortably send out my sweepers. Scald is the main STAB move and of course it can set up trick room as well as recover. Very often this absorbs the water attacks aimed at victini (which of course u-turns into jellicent).

[​IMG]
    Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - ThunderPunch
    - Mach Punch
    Conkeldurr is great. Hits crazy hard with life orb and sheer force, while drain punch lets it last quite long. Conkeldurr is also the only form of priority on this team, but the funny thing is I never use it that much. I've never actually had a time when I felt screwed because trick room wasn't set up, probably because my sweepers are just bulky enough to take a hit or two. Conkeldurr also has great coverage which is extremely important for sweepers in trick room because of the 5-turn timer.

[​IMG]
    Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    I absolutely love reuniclus' ability. It just feels so satisfying when it takes no damage from toxic and burn, entry hazards, sandstorm and hail, and especially ferrothorn's leech seed. Psychic/Ghost/Fighting gives great neutral coverage, and I can afford to use focus blast because I got conkeldurr to back me up. And of course it has trick room to set up for itself since it also has enough bulk to do so.

And that's it for the team, comments are greatly appreciated (:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)