The Well #36 - bojangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Wednesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Wednesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Wednesday, it's your day in the well."

I'm also going on vacation soon so I'm jumping the line!

Hey, I'm bojangles, also known as ibo, and my Pokemon journey began back in May of 2008. I found Smogon when my friends and I, like most high schoolers, went through the phase of fondly remembering Pokemon. We decided to all get Diamond/Pearl and then battle each other. Being naturally competitive, I found Smogon when I was looking up how to train my Pokemon effectively. I stuck around for the WiFi section and thus a hopeful Pokemaster was born.

I stuck around in WiFi for about 6 months before I transitioned into C&C where, despite being a somewhat mediocre battler, I could at least use my knowledge of English grammar to help out a bit. Enticed by the concept of a "secret forum," I plugged along until Aldaron noticed my hard work and nominated me for a badge. Meanwhile, I had gotten into Ubers and become quite close friends with Theorymon, Jibaku, and (then) Gen. Empoleon. Eventually I became an Ubers mod. A few years later I quit after accruing mods in The Smog and C&C, largely due to my role as a grammar policeman. When I came back, things moved a bit faster as I was promoted to Super Mod back in December after a nice bit of "ibo 4 smod" bandwagoning and then hustled along to Admin barely a month after by Synre. I like to think that I read every part of the forum there is to read at least a little but my focuses are C&C and Ubers-related things. I also fell into a sort of groove at The Smog because for some reason even though I detested English classes in school, I really enjoy writing articles like Featured Ubers Pokemon. I try to inject some humor because, hey, it's an e-zine and its about getting people interested. I get some good feedback so it's nice to be appreciated and I'll try to keep it up!

In real life, I just finished my first (amazing) year at Columbia University. I'm a natural sciences kind of guy and I stocked up on the requisite Math and Science courses in order to prepare for a possible route down the world of pain that is the premed track. School finished over a month ago and I am sitting at home, bored out of my mind, eagerly awaiting the day when I can move back into residence and see my friends again. I also kind of miss the 1 am deli or diner runs.

I play semi-competitive Magic: the Gathering in that I don't go to any events but I do play to win, constructing some pretty fierce EDH decks that I like to whip out and pilot against some other Smogonites, like Nexus and TEA_DEMON. Definitely recommend this game to other people if you're looking for something with a lot of replay value. In a (slightly) more athletic vein, I fenced a lot in high school, although I was slightly above average at best, and really lament not being able to keep it up. People make analogies between Pokemon and chess but fencing is definitely a much closer cousin. While it doesn't make me look like a weightlifter, it kept me in shape and kept me sharp.

Finally, I'm really really big into music. I thought I had a lot of songs at about 2200, but apparently that's small potatoes since I've met many people with many times that. Anyway, I like lots of different types of music from rock to classical to blues and more and always enjoy either giving or getting music advice.

Ask away.

As a side note, I had an interview with The Smog back in November when I was still a mod, so you might want to click here to see if it answers any of your questions.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you ever been to a Bojangles restaurant?

What was your experience?

Did it influence your choice of name?

If not, how did you come up with your name?

What are your top few bands of all time?

Who is your favorite author?

What is your favorite quote?

Noting: Dumb WB (also I've used bojangles as a "funny word" more than once in Mad Libs)

Are there any tips you can provide to an incoming college freshman who also wishes to pursue pre-med (albeit not at Columbia)?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
how tall are you / if I come to NYC again will you stand me up AGAIN

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Random question - why do you hate English classes so much? I can't say I liked them too much in High School, but for some reason I kind of liked my College course for it.

do you see yourself leaving just like ever other admin has done in the past year even if it's only for a day?

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Secrets, signs, and sports (?)

how has being in new york / studying at columbia (i might be coming near you next year, watch out!) shaped your perspective on education versus high school?

edit: also, did your research paper get published?!

how has your role on smogon changed as you rose from c&c moderator to super mod to admin? would you say the mod < supermod < admin model is optimally efficient for getting shit done?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If you could spend a week's paid vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Do you still do some photography? I haven't updated my thread in SS in forever, I'll have to put some new stuff there myself.

What would your dream job be and where?

Have you spurted recently?

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hibo :>

what uber mon do you find to be cutest?

[20:58:30] <@Fatecrashers> did you ever stop fucking goats?

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
If you could take Smogon back to a certain point of time, and grab the reigns from there, where would you start and what would you do first?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You're walking down the street when Eo Ut Mortus runs up to you, out of breath, and asks you to tell anybody who asks about him that you are him. He runs off and you continue on your way when you are confronted by The Cicada, who asks where Eo is. Do you tell the truth, or do you obey Eo's request? If you choose the latter (pretending to be Eo), how do you deal with The Cicada?

I must ask:

1). If you were to only get ONE version and had to decide on it now, would you get B2 or W2?

2). Have you ever taken a Scramble Challenge? A Nuzelocke Challenge?

3). What is the most creative avatar that you have seen on this site?

4). By design alone, what are your top three favorite pokemon?

Now, for my final and most important question:

5). What are your top 5 favorite book series? Why?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what other games do you play?

list of smogoners you'd like to meet irl

will you ever like hip-hop? (we should actually talk music some time, but i tend to shy away from the stuff you usually discuss xD)

what are your thoughts on the site now and the site when you first joined

will we ever use impish ice beam ground arceus again?????

how do you feel about being the adMINIstrator? (weakest admin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)