The Well #41 - Solace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says 'On any day except Wednesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer.' The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, 'Why not on Wednesday?' A voice from in the well shouts back, 'Because on Wednesday, it's your day in the well.'"

Hi!!! I'm Solace, but my real name is Jenny. I'm 16 and I live in New York, and I'm going to be a junior in high school. I'm also Smogon's resident Glee super fan. I play VGC and have been to 3 regionals, one of which I took 2nd at it in 2011. I used to play OU but I ended up taking to VGC after BW came out. I still love to play DPP OU with friends, though!

As for Smogon work, I've been a mod for almost a year now, I won Smogon's Up and Coming User award from the Smog for 2011, and I do VGC Quality Control and write some analyses.

Moving on from the boring stuff, probably the most controversial Smogon thing that's happened to me is that when I joined the whole internet Pokemon scene in 2009 I was convinced that while it would be fun to play, everyone was still totally an internet pedophile. I pretended to be a guy for quite some time, but obviously that whole thing was busted when I went to a VGC event.

I'm not sure what else to put here, so let's go with questions! Ask ~anything~.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What attracted you to VGC?

How do you feel VGC is treated on Smogon?

How do you find being a girl on the internet? (p.s. tell more of this Mulan story)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Describe as best as you can, with details, your relationship to the loving and caring Administrator known as Haunter.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What attracted you to VGC?
When I saw it was going to be an SPL metagame in SPL2 I thought it would be a cool thing to try, and it most certainly was. I've liked it ever since, and it's way more fun than any other metagame imo.

How do you feel VGC is treated on Smogon?
UGH ALCH WHY
Personally I think that on the whole it wasn't treated too poorly, but there were a lot of people who seem to butt in on things about it that don't concern them and make assumptions. A lot of people also judged the metagame because people they didn't like played it, and it really never gave VGC a fair shot. I think in general though it's no different from RU/NU/LC hate, there are just some people on this site who wouldn't like any metagame unless it was named OU.

How do you find being a girl on the internet? (p.s. tell more of this Mulan story)
I'LL MAKE A MAN OUT OF YOU
It's certainly not as bad as the media and parents make it out to be. Aside from some of the weirdo PO users, I don't think that it's really changed much. I pretended to be a boy named Justin and pissed off a few people when they found out that wasn't really me but in the end my real friends have stuck around so it doesn't matter much!! I also defeated the Mongols.

What/Who is your:
Favourite actor
Favourite movie
Favourite Gen
Favourite pokemon
Favourite food
Dianna Agron (in my avatar)
Mean Girls or The Hangover
In-game I like 2nd gen, competitively I like Gen 4.
MASQUERAIN
I like chocolate

Can you repost your old rainbow masquerain avatar?
Unfortunately, I was dumb and never saved that picture on my computer and the person who had made it deleted it from their Photobucket. :(

Thoughts on user: Virizion?
I don't want to answer questions from someone with (BAN ME PLEASE) badges.

Describe as best as you can, with details, your relationship to the loving and caring Administrator known as Haunter.

(17:55) Haunter: and you also happen to be a queen

(17:56) Haunter: the queen of smogon!!!
The peasant understands his place.

Were you at APEX in the fall? For some reason, I feel like you were there with tad...

Aside from VGC, what other metagames do you enjoy?

How do you feel about Ray Rizzo winning worlds three years in a row?

How about Dimsun winning worlds?

Do you think Haunter will edit any of your answers in this thread to make them funnier/more insulting?

Edit:
are you actually fat or is that a joke
do you think this user talks to a lot of women if he is seriously asking you if you are fat?

Stratos

Banned deucer.

more seriously, what's the best part about being moderation staff, and what's the worst part? If you could remove any one aspect of modship, would you? What would it be? Do you picture yourself being a mod for a while longer and possibly moving farther up the ranks, or are you content where you are, or are you planning on hanging up your hat soon?

obligatory mod questions

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
What would you do with your life if I was no longer a resident of Smogon?

Why am I such an amazing user?

Do you remember how salty I was when you haxed me for the Official TeamUber Tournament back in 09/10?

Am I your hero?

Solace~~~

Most attractive guy and girl on Smogon?

If you were to get a new badge, which one would you want?

If you could badge someone no questions asked, to whom would you give what badge?

If you could take site admins from a current one, whose badge would you steal?

Top TV shows?

Top books?

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
so with the whole pretending to be a guy thing, when you first came to smogon did you plan on keeping this up indefinitely or was it more of a 'let's see how pedoish smogon is and ill cross that bridge later once ive seen what the culture is like'?

which users had the best reaction to your 'coming out'? Did anyone change their attitude towards you or resent you because of it?

there are just some people on this site who wouldn't like any metagame unless it was named OU.
can you give a couple of examples?

Solace!

How did you decide to come to a VGC after pretending to be a male? What were the reactions?
Do you read? Favourite book/author/genre/quote?
Can we be best friends?
Who is your favourite user and why?
Who is your favourite female and why?

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Do you think our somewhat similar taste in music says good things about you or bad things about me?

Has anybody ever called you the "female Justin Bieber"?

What's your favorite abstract flavor of ice cream?

/nick SoIace
/me pet Solace

Solesbian:

Why do you have a Dianna Agron fetish? You've probably told me but I want the world to know!

What do you do to fill the void that Haunter left in your heart?

If Dianna Agron left Glee would you still watch it?

Are we actually friends? =(

edit: Pwnemon reminded me. How exactly did you get so obese?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On a scale of 1 to 6 where 6 is best what would you rate Joseph gordon-levitt? Can't really think of any other hot guys atm so that'll do

" Zooey Deschanel?

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?

If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?

Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?

Why are you, you?

Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?

What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?

What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Solace

royal flush
Were you at APEX in the fall? For some reason, I feel like you were there with tad...
I wasn't at APEX.

Aside from VGC, what other metagames do you enjoy?
DPP OU and DPP UU

How do you feel about Ray Rizzo winning worlds three years in a row?
I like Ray a lot and I'm glad he won but I'm hoping someone manages to take the title from him next year. 3 time champ is incredibly impressive, but I'd like to see someone new take the stage.

How about Dimsun winning worlds?
He named a Pokemon after me, so I'm pretty happy!

Do you think Haunter will edit any of your answers in this thread to make them funnier/more insulting?
Probably not, I don't think he knows what funny is.

It's a joke I am perfectly average weight.

more seriously, what's the best part about being moderation staff, and what's the worst part? If you could remove any one aspect of modship, would you? What would it be? Do you picture yourself being a mod for a while longer and possibly moving farther up the ranks, or are you content where you are, or are you planning on hanging up your hat soon?

obligatory mod questions
The best part is being able to lead something and be able to call the shots I guess. Also seeing deleted posts from dramas or just stupid people in general can be fun.
The worst part is giving infractions since I always seem to manage to get the crazies...
I think modship is pretty much what it is. I can't imagine removing anything.
I'll be modding until I have no time for Smogon, which hopefully won't be any time soon!

What would you do with your life if I was no longer a resident of Smogon?
I'd cry every day :(

Why am I such an amazing user?
idk it must come naturally!

Do you remember how salty I was when you haxed me for the Official TeamUber Tournament back in 09/10?
lmao yeah, I was gonna give you the win since I felt really bad over the whole thing.

Am I your hero?
Yes of course <3

Solace~~~

Most attractive guy and girl on Smogon?
Evan Falco and ME obviously

If you were to get a new badge, which one would you want?
IRC SOp or Researcher

If you could badge someone no questions asked, to whom would you give what badge?
I'd give Bloo the rest of the badges so he had them all.

If you could take site admins from a current one, whose badge would you steal?
Haunter.

Top TV shows?
Glee, Degrassi, Victorious (which is unfortunately getting cancelled), Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Doctor Who

Top books?
HP Series, The Hunger Games, To Kill a Mockingbird, Percy Jackson and the Olympians

If you had to choose between spending a day with blarajan or Haunter, who would you choose?
Sounds like 2 awful days, I guess I'd choose Haunter though since at least I'd get to go to Italy.

so with the whole pretending to be a guy thing, when you first came to smogon did you plan on keeping this up indefinitely or was it more of a 'let's see how pedoish smogon is and ill cross that bridge later once ive seen what the culture is like'?
I'm not exactly sure what I had planned, I figure at some point I probably would've said something, but going to a VGC event obviously put everything out there.

which users had the best reaction to your 'coming out'? Did anyone change their attitude towards you or resent you because of it?
The "best" reactions imo were just the people who didn't care at all. You're friends with a person and not a gender so it shouldn't have mattered much.
Some people weren't too thrilled with it all though, but they've gotten over it for the most part. Some people I was already kind of losing a friendship anyway and that pretty much put it down for good. It happens.

can you give a couple of examples?
I'd rather not name names, but there are some people I see on IRC who seem to just diss tiers they've never tried because it isn't OU so it's not cool. I can't really claim to know their real reasoning, but it's just how it comes off.

What are your three favorite Glee songs / mashups.
Mashups:
Rumour Has It / Someone Like You
It's My Life / Confessions Part II
I Feel Pretty / Unpretty

Regular Songs:
Jar of Hearts
Songbird
Take Me or Leave Me

Solace!

How did you decide to come to a VGC after pretending to be a male? What were the reactions?
I'm sure everyone was surprised, but aside from one person no one really seemed to care very much. I decided to go because I thought I had a shot of winning and I wanted to meet some of the friends I had made online.

Do you read? Favourite book/author/genre/quote?
I do read! Favorite book is probably Catching Fire from The Hunger Games, favorite author is JK Rowling, I like Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff.
Favorite quote:
"I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it.
“Your father's right," she said. "Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

Can we be best friends?
okay!

Who is your favourite user and why?
This is probably a cop out answer but I don't really have a favorite user. I like lots of different Smogoners for different reasons.

Who is your favourite female and why?
Same as above!

Do you think our somewhat similar taste in music says good things about you or bad things about me?
I think it says good things about both of us!

Has anybody ever called you the "female Justin Bieber"?
I know you love me, I know you care, just shout whenever, and I'll be there~
But no, no one has.

What's your favorite abstract flavor of ice cream?
If by abstract you mean not chocolate/vanilla/strawberry/other standards, I'd say Cake Batter is an amazing flavor.

/nick SoIace
/me pet Solace
/me pet mafe

Solesbian:

Why do you have a Dianna Agron fetish? You've probably told me but I want the world to know!

also she seems like a genuinely nice person who cares about others and that is very nice!!

What do you do to fill the void that Haunter left in your heart?
You sound like a kid from my camp who apologized on behalf of someone who broke my chair to "fill the void in my heart".

Also you should've asked him that, there's no void in my heart because of him!

If Dianna Agron left Glee would you still watch it?
She's barely going to be in the next season because her character graduated and went off to Yale but I'm still gonna watch anyway.

Are we actually friends? =(
Yes!

edit: Pwnemon reminded me. How exactly did you get so obese?
RUDE.

On a scale of 1 to 6 where 6 is best what would you rate Joseph gordon-levitt? Can't really think of any other hot guys atm so that'll do
I think he's like a 4

" Zooey Deschanel?
I don't get why everyone loves her lol, New Girl is an ok show and she's pretty funny but I don't understand everyone's obsession with her ~quirkiness~.

who is your least favorite pokemon

why is your name solace

will you be at philly regionals

why cant either of us come in first

why cant either of us go to nats

what got you into pokemon

What is your opinion of me?

Favorite anime? If you watch any...

Dream college?

Dream career?

Favorite female actress besides glee ppl

Favorite male actor?

Favorite tv show besides glee?

Do you like Chinese food? If so, do you have a favorite dish?

Have you been outside of the country, and where?

What happened to the dot at the end of your name?

V0x is a woman, y/y?

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Imo the vgc forum has turned to shit since the departure of the NBers. Do you feel the same?

Do you like having your other VGC mods be around your age and not really old (besides OD)?

Any pets?

Favorite animal?

Possible college major?

Where is your soul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)