The wine bar is back with shinies AND spitbacks [COMPLETE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey rufusdrumknott please could I have a Dream Ball Timburr & a Toxic Boost Lux Ball Zangoose? Let me know when you're available (and if you would prefer to do a direct trade.)
I know lots of people just generally don't read the rules in giveaways, but since this is the third time this has happened since I've reopened this:
General rules said:
  • Don't ask for a direct trade.
Spitback rules said:
  • You can have as many as you want, but you can't ask for a direct trade. So just be patient in uploading your Magikarps one by one.

Little update: I picked up unmentionable13's recommendation of Furies of Calderon (that's right, I actually pay attention to your recs) and I must say, I wish the thing you had warned me about was the sexist way the women are written. I know fantasy writers of this ilk are generally like that (while also enjoying far-reaching synonyms and cliched plots of 'chosen ones' such as: 'this guy doesn't have powers like the rest of his people which, of course, means he is the chosen one' and 'this guy who is very special and is also the chosen one'), but wow. Fortunate I didn't grow up with this kind of fantasy or I'd avoid men like the plague instead of merely being apathetic towards their gender.

Although other than that, just like other fantasy writers of this ilk, the men are written well and it is fairly interesting. Just roll your eyes to the heavens and count to 10 while the narrator describes every single woman who appears in terms of their bangability in loving detail, eh?

This much is true, I tend to overlook such things but you are correct. I haven't read many fantasies that write three dimensional women. I can think of maybe a handful (possibly because the author is female). It is kind of sad that its considered the "norm" to have such female characters.

I've been told that this changes as the books go on (for both his series). I've had female friends read them and they can see some changes as the stories progress. I can't speak to much on it as I'm not too critical when it comes to reading fantasy, I get enough of that while I'm reviewing drug literature. I'm sad this may have ruined your experience with the novel as a whole.

You really don't like Game of Thrones? I really think it's a book that needs to be red. It's just so different from any other book.

Could I please have a Growlithe? I deposited a lvl 1 male Magikarp, IGN:DoubleD.
Thanks..!

Well to be fair it's not the only fault the book has, it's just the most jarring that jumped out at me. I'm halfway through it now and the writing is not very impressive. There are common writing mistakes I'd frown at a teenage for making in fanfiction, let alone a professional author in a published original. While the plot is pretty good and there are some characters I love (Bernard <3), the low quality of the narration doesn't inspire the desire to read more books.

Yes, it's a book that needs to be read so future fantasy writers can know how not to write a fantasy book (I'm just kidding, your opinion is your opinion, ofc). I have two kinds of Growlithe, which one?

Last edited:
Yes, it's a book that needs to be read so future fantasy writers can know how not to write a fantasy book (I'm just kidding, your opinion is your opinion, ofc). I have two kinds of Growlithe, which one?
In the spitback list I can only see the Rapid ball one and I'd like that one anyway :) Thanks again!

Yo im sorry about how i behaved in the little cup giveaway. I was hoping you would let me join in this one? Its fine if you don't.

An intresting book is the 'city of bones' by cassandra clare.this book intrested me because instead of the home being the safe place, the place no evil thing can enter cassandra changed the rules and made the home the place crawling with vampires and monsters.
Could i please ask for fairy night the marill i have uploaded a male magikarp lvl 15. My ign is tyler and my message is rufusdrumknot

Last edited:
Really cus this is what it looks like to me :/
Assuming Rapid Ball = Fast Ball, sent. If it somehow doesn't, put that Growlithe up and ask for another and I'll send the right one.
I did not make a screenshot but I could not see the moonball one :(
Anyway I received the fast ball one..Thanks..! :)

WHAT. I should deny you the Marill on the basis of recommending me Cassandra Clare. Ugh, you all clearly have good taste in games but have terrible taste in literature. Cassandra Clare, indeed. Oh, my.

Ahem. You should include a thank you in your post but since I can tell you're trying, I've sent the Marill. Don't forget next time.

WHAT. I should deny you the Marill on the basis of recommending me Cassandra Clare. Ugh, you all clearly have good taste in games but have terrible taste in literature. Cassandra Clare, indeed. Oh, my.

Ahem. You should include a thank you in your post but since I can tell you're trying, I've sent the Marill. Don't forget next time.
Sory for saying thank you i was planning to do it in this post... thank you for the marill

May I have this pokè, please?

#371. Bagon
♀ | Hatched in the Shabboneau Castle
Timid Nature | Rock Head | 31.31.31.31.31.31
Rage | Dragon Dance | Dragon Pulse | Hydro Pump
OT: Brom | ID: 21204
Bred by me, hatched by /u/ventus
Stock: 4

(IGN is Eoin, Magikarp is male level 10, nicknamed "fishmas eve" for reasons, etc etc, thanks for the Thundurus again, now for the fun stuff; )

Hi RD! I would really appreciate a Shellos, please! Because Shellos is great and I haven't had the chance to use one since Pearl <3 I love me some Shellos, especially nicknamed Shellos, i.e. "Sherry". Reminds me faintly of Lamb Chop.

Anyway more than the Shellos I wanted to talk books, because I couldn't find a way to shoehorn in a Pratchett joke during our last conversation - although if I can do the opposite of a recommendation, if you haven't already, don't read Making Steam? I found it wildly disappointing and very very sad, since the writing style was so obviously different from Pratchett at his peak. It makes me worry about the one coming out later, Shepherd's Crown, since I'd rather not have the last book by him I'd ever read (and the last one he'd ever written) be really bad and ruin Tiffany Aching's character. Because Making Steam really did change Moist's character and I couldn't reconcile it, mentally. Apparently deep down he's a warrior now? Whereas before he made a *point* of non-violence?? *sigh* It's just an inconsistency that made me deeply and uncomfortably aware of how Terry's Alzheimers was affecting his work.

But for positive recommendations... I haven't actually read a lot of books. I've had too many bad experiences! Soooo many bad series read to the finish at the cost of overlarge emotional investment. BUT scratching out all of PTerry's works, and also Douglas Adams' because the two get compared a lot and I'm sure you've already either read them or considered it, my favourite books, and actually the first ones I ever loved (although that might have been Hitchiker's, I can't remember which I received first) were the Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud). Aside: They're kids books, or at least always sold in the young reader's sections. And I have *never* read a set of books made for kids that are so appropriate for an adult audience in my life. The complexity, the characters, the worldbuilding, the themes... especially the character arcs... absolutely are adult level and are actually better developed than most of the Adult fiction I've read.

Ignoring the fantasy and plot for a second, because I read books primarily for the author's style nowadays, the books are focused on the early life of a young boy in modern day London, who's been brought up by the absolutely upper-class government services in a world where the British Government is very thoroughly In Charge. And Nathaniel absolutely wants to be a part of it. Him struggling with his own ambition and naivety is a strong engine for his arc in the books, especially as he tries to reconcile his own developing morals with the sordid politics of the Whitehall government. It's bleak and dark and for the majority of the books he's actually almost an anti-hero; most of the negative reviews from readers were about just how much the readers disliked him as a character. He is admittedly a bit of a prat. It's great.
The other part I haven't mentioned is is that the Government's power is demon-fueled and all the major politicians and their underlings are "magicians" who enslave powerful djinn to do their bidding, while keeping the source of their power a secret from the "commoners". The other two major characters are one of Nathaniel's enslaved djinn, Bartimaeus, who is absolutely hilarious and a fantastically well-balanced character, and Kitty Jones, a teenage commoner who attempts to resist the government's - and Nathaniel's' - rule. I didn't want to say this part right away in case it would colour your perception of the description.

So that's the intro I guess. I can't stand fantasy for fantasy's sake, but these aren't. They're a really good blend of three really great characters. And the writing is fantastic! The books are split chapter-by-chapter into individual character's viewpoints, with Kitty and Nat's being two different levels of third-person (Kitty's is slightly more personal, which works for her). Bartimaeus is a wall-breaking first-person storyteller who jokes constantly with the reader through footnotes. It's interesting and refreshing and a great read for anybody and I would highly recommend them!

Anyway thank you :o

Feel free to make a new post when you've read the rules.

I'll PM you in the morning to talk about this properly, but first:
  • I couldn't find your Magikarp, put up another as late in the night as you can since that's when I'll wake up.
  • I'm deeply offended you think I haven't already read Raising Steam, I'd change my username the day I don't read a Disc book a day.
  • I agree with you in general although I'll add that there is one good thing about RS that makes it re-readable (unlike Snuff) and that's me Rufus Drumknott (okay, two things including Vetinari but it's a safe bet that when I'm talking about one, I'm talking about the other, right?). Yes, these last two points are important enough for me to feel compelled to say them at once along with the first. I take Discworld very seriously

I would like this please and thank you in advance
#333. Swablu
♀ | Nicknamed 'Mytyl' | Hatched in Coumarine City
Adamant Nature | Natural Cure | 31.31.31.16.31.31
Pursuit | Haze | Dragon Rush | Feather Dance
OT: Sophie | ID: 44478
Bred by me, hatched by /u/cinnamonice.
Stock: 4

I upload a lv 15 male magikarp . Thanks

My favorite book would be Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey.

I love the Percy Jackson and the Olympian (Rick Riordan), The Heroes of Olympus (Rick Riordan) and The Hunger Game series (Suzanne Collins).

They have 2 things in common, Greek mythology and Roman mythology. Action packed with a little bit of romance .

May I please request this pokemon
#007. Squirtle
♀ | Hatched in Azure Bay
Modest Nature | Rain Dish | 31.xx.31.31.31.31
Tackle | Water Spout | Aura Sphere | Dragon Pulse
OT: 칼름 | ID: 59820
Bred by me, hatched by /u/cyg5967
(Special thanks to tjohnny44 for checking the ESV and shiny finder for finding the SV match.)
Stock: 2
I deposited a level 30 female magikarp thank you in advance

One of the books that I read recently and I actually enjoyed was The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I really enjoyed this book because it portrays the ugly side of what many immigrants go through when they arrive to the United States from abuse to low wages, although it portrays their lifes in the early 1900's, it still shows that those people have a harsh time. Oh and in case you ever read the book, just know that every incident in that book, was true, all of those things happened to different families, of course the author tried to make it more dramatic by putting all the bad luck in one single family. Over all a great book that truly deserves the name of Classic.

Last edited:
Almost as bad tbh jk, I've tried both Rick Riordan and Suzanne Collins but they don't write very well imo. They both lost me a few pages in because the narration was so bad. Percy Jackson, I'll admit, I was probably pretty biased because the first person POV is so hard to pull of and he obviously couldn't do it, but The Hunger Games is just 'haha okay, I have no doubt there is probably a good book in here, but I'm not willing to sift through the writing to find it'.

I couldn't find your Magikarp, sorry. If it was sniped, put up what you got?

I never read anything US-centric because I so rarely understand them fully. I need your IGN.

May I please get this? Thank you

I deposited a lvl 10 female magickarp.
IGN: Brandon

#009. Blastoise (lv. 50)
♂ | Nicknamed 'Blueberry' | Hatched in Azure Bay
Modest Nature | Rain Dish | 31.xx.31.31.31.31
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp Def
Protect | Water Pulse | Ice Beam | Dark Pulse
OT: Jeric | ID: 25032
Egg Moves: Water Spout, Dragon Pulse, Aura Sphere
Stock: 1

A book that interest me was the great gatsby by fitzgerald. The story of a rich guy not getting the person he loved is an interesting story. I won't spoil what happens to him at the end but its not what you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)