1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The World Cup of Pokemon IV - Round 1

Discussion in 'World Cup of Pokemon' started by Jackal, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

After much deliberation, and a fair share of drama, we are finally here...the qualifying round of the World Cup of Pokemon IV. The stage is set, and 14 teams from around the globe will now duke it out to ultimately determine which nation can claim the honour of best in the world.

The final rosters can be viewed here

The format for this round can be found here

The rules of the tournament can be found here

With that out of the way, I want to wish every team good luck. Let's make this thing an instant classic :) Battles are to be completed by Sunday, July 5th, 2009. On this day, we will freeze the divisions and then calculate the points based off of the standings as they sit. Battles that are not completed will NOT have a winner declared, and will simply not count in deciding final standing. (Exceptions may be granted if proof can be shown that one user was clearly avoiding the battle / severely inactive. We will use our discretion). But I expect captains to stay on top of their players and ensure they are all getting ALL their battles done, as it will be tough to make the top 8 if you are not even ensuring every battle gets completed!

Furthermore, if by Sunday, June 28, 2009 you have not completed at least one battle, I will force the captain to sub you out. I will NOT accept inactivity.

Now, for the big deal: the divisions.

In trying to preserve the integrity of the tournament, we assembled the divisions so that each team plays each other team at least once, most teams play each other twice, and in rare cases teams will play each other three times. We assembled these with numbers, and then randomized the teams and players to each number. It is unforntunate that the math did not work out perfectly as it did last year, but with 14 teams we had to work with what we had. At any rate, we managed to keep the random pairings while still ensuring that teams did not have unfair advantages.

The divisions for the qualifying round can be found here. You will notice each division is a venue based in a city around the world, this is simply for effect and does not mean anything significant.

***A note on lag/disconnects***

We toyed with the idea of a server specifically dedicated to the World Cup, but for various reasons it was deemed to be a pretty unnecessary idea. However, use common sense. If the lag on Smogon is too great, or you feel it will DC you, there are other options for servers, specifically CAP. Also, ensure you ALWAYS meet your opponent on the Smogon server first to ensure there is no identity theft. If I hear of anything like that I will disqualify your entire team in a heartbeat. Don't do it.

One last thing, this year we have decided to take a more "fluid" approach to the rosters, so captains can make adjustments to the roster as they see fit. If you sub a player out BETWEEN rounds, he may be subbed back in at a later time. If you sub a player out DURING a round (meaning the player has an active, uncompleted pairing), that player cannot be subbed back in at a later time.

So that's everything, feel free to post predictions and smack talk, but let's try to keep the personal attacks out of this. Let's have a good tournament, good luck everyone! Be sure to join #worldcup on irc.synirc.net for live chat!

FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY!!

PS: azn threepeat? ya ok
  2. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Yeah!

Rosters page will work soon, chill.

Also, lets get this show on the road!
  3. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

UK win.
  4. Bad Ass

Bad Ass bring me coffee or tea
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a GS2 Winner

yes
    ohmigod its up

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

5. SoT

SoT Yes please!
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Nice division I have here, good luck to the fellow westerners. n__n
  6. Olie

Olie

New Dehli and Brooklyn look like a good show.
    So does Rome
  7. Loki

Loki like seashells
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournamentis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Champion

US CENTRAL NIGHTMARE
  8. Stone_Cold

Stone_Cold
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Ima smoke SoT harder then Teddi smokes that blunt.
  9. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

new delhi is always awesome, heh.
  10. Duskie

Duskie Boats n Hoes

Teddy seems to be toking lightly.This looks promising..
  11. august

august free the robots
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournament

i was excited for this then i saw my division
  12. remlabmez

remlabmez @dacopboss
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

yay finally
  13. matty

matty I did stuff a long time ago for the site
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Man Loki, you got probably the toughest group m8.

In all honesty, there isn't a softball group among the listing and that is what we are looking for =]
  14. Coronis

Coronis Backie Jerkhart
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Oceania can't be beat.
  15. FM

FM

wtf, hipmonlee plays pokemon?
  16. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

UK came joint second last year, and this year we'll win the whole thing!

Good luck to everyone in the tournament.

I like the look of my group!
  17. Lady Bug

Lady Bug 銀時 ☆彡 King of the Dessert ☆彡 銀時
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

For some reason the pairings page doesn't work for me, but someone told me my division so it's all good. Good luck everyone.
  18. Brawley

Brawley
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Yeah Los Angeles, also Mekkah won't beat be this year.
  19. Imran

Imran
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

How did Flax not make the German team???

EDIT: LR, you got a tough group!
  20. Bad Ass

Bad Ass bring me coffee or tea
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a GS2 Winner

my sentiments exactly, imran
  21. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Man poor Loki and Earthworm ... err poor people playing earthworm/loki's division.

Jabba take down Loki. Good luck everyone playing!
  22. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

Look out Berlin, Germany. :)
  23. Lunar Solstice

Lunar Solstice

Awesome! I see epic matches all over. GL to all teams but mostly to US Central.
  24. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Tiering Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Tower Tycoondefeated the Smogon Frontier

Ouch, hard group for me. GL everyone, lets do this!
  25. rojo23

rojo23

Those sly germans probably sub him in on an unexpected moment gaining points due to confused opponents.
    You can say alot about them but they certainly know how to use some team strategy!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)