1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The world of trickery: Reverse Metagame!

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Flaming Facepalm, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Facepalm

Flaming Facepalm

Reverse Metagame is a world of trickery. The pokes you love could now suddenly betray you, becoming weak, unusable creatures, and making you weep bitterly as you lose in battle.

Rules:

1. Every pokemon's stats are reversed. What this means is that HP and Speed are swapped with each other, Attack and Special Defense are swapped, and Special Attack and Defense are swapped.

2. Uber pokemon are allowed in play.

3. Pokemon with the same base stat across the board (i.e Arceus, Mew, etc.) are all BANNED.

4. Items are changed accordingly. e.g Choice Band now gives a 1.5x boost to Special Defense, which is the equivalent of Attack in this metagame. Abilities are also changed like this. e.g Huge Power gives a 2x boost to Special Defense, the equivalent of Attack in this metagame.

Also, for ease of reading, when reffering to EVs and natures, please try to keep it the same. So, if you want a pokemon to be bulkier, don't give it 252 Speed EVs, give it 252 HP EVs. This is just to prevent the player from killing a penguin in confusion when team building.

So, what pokes will be common and effective in this metagame? Pokemon with high defenses and health are now going to be vicious sweepers. Pokes with high offensive stats and Speed are now sturdy walls. Here's a few examples:

[​IMG]

Deoxys-Attack @ Light Clay
    Evs: 252 HP/126 SpD/126 Def.
    Nature: Impish.

- Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Deoxys-Attack would change astronomically in this metagame, as he turns from a glass-cannon attacker into an extremely bulky wall, boasting 150/180/180 defenses. He could easily set up dual screens and toxic stall enemies, crippling their set-up attempts.

[​IMG]

Azumarill @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Trait: Huge Power

- Waterfall
    - Superpower
    - Return
    - Aqua Jet

Azumarill in this metagame turns from a docile creature with a very nice Attack stat into a rampaging blue rabbit of destruction with a jaw-dropping 852 Attack which is compounded by 404 Speed, allowing you to outspeed and kill things with ferocious power. The moveset is quite self-explanatory, as it gives coverage and power allowing you to be a gigantic threat.

[​IMG]

Giratina @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP
    Nature: Timid
    Trait: Pressure

- Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Aura Sphere
    - Shadow Ball

Probably one of the best CM sweepers ever. With the equivalent of 120 base Special Attack and 150 base Speed, Giratina, a very sturdy wall in the standard metagame, can now be used to murder all the things in the Reverse Metagame. With perfect coverage and the EVs above, you can destroy enemy teams easily.

Have fun!
  2. AWailOfATail

AWailOfATail

Did you get this approved by Arcticblast, etc.?

Anyway, Shuckle can now OHKO at least one Poke and Blissey is the fastest Poke EVER while boasting a 135 base attack.

Some things to point out:
    Regigigas, instead of halved Attack and Speed, now has halved Special Defenses and HP. Wonder how that's gonna work.
    Ditto is banned (because it has 48 base stats across the board), while about 90% of Ubers are not. Yeah.
    Shedinja: 40/30/30/45/90/1. Not outspeeding anything anytime soon.
  3. PokemonMasterDebater

PokemonMasterDebater

First thing that popped into my mind:
    [​IMG]
    80/115/120/95/50/85
    Togekiss @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 hp
    Nature: Adamant
    Trait: Hustle
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Arial Ace
    - Drain Punch
    - Return
    AWailOfATail likes this.
  4. asterat

asterat

This is really well thought out huh. I like how azumarill has 852 attack when huge power is boosting his special defense as said in the same post.
    Kl4ng likes this.
  5. Flaming Facepalm

Flaming Facepalm

Azumarill technically does have 852 Attack, as Huge Power boosts Special Defense, which is the equivalent of Attack in this metagame. I said "Attack" because I didn't want to be confusing.
  6. AWailOfATail

AWailOfATail

You didn't want to be confusing? The last post didn't help. (Sorry if that came out mean, I just need more clarification)
  7. Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo Shots fired
    is a Pre-Contributor

hm, you do know that azumarill's Speed stat after a reverse isn't 404, it's the standard stat equivilant of 100, which would end up being a early 300 I believe.

Let me explain before you get confused: HP and every other stat have different standards, so a base 100 HP is 404 max while a base 100 speed is like I said before, around 328
    so pokemon with high HP will need something on par with lugia/blissey levels of HP or more to actually be very "fast" in this metagame, while in the case of fast pokemon like jolteon, they only get buffed with their bulk skyrocketting since something like 130 HP is way more insane than 130 Speed in terms of actual stat post-EVing.

This proves a huge buff to stall though, which I like, that and proves to boost up balance also, 2 playstyles I don't even try to play anymore (stall more less than balance) Not only that but it very much lowers the speed tiers, letting the average good speed(105 in OU I think) or "light speed"(which is 135 in OU I believe) drop a tad/ A LOT.
  8. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

How about you just make the items and abilities keep their old effects, and only swap the base stats (instead of the actual stat).
  9. Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo Shots fired
    is a Pre-Contributor

I believe the person who made this IS swapping base stats, because if he did swap base stats, there would be a problem with stall getting to near GSC-no-wallbreakers levels of good because you could finally technically have a HP boosting nature
  10. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

No, he is swapping the actual stats, not the base stats.

But anyways, Blissey could see some use offensively. It has 255 speed and 135 attack and can hit hard with return, drain punch, and elemental punches. Unfortunately, most of Blissey's moves are special, and those 5 moves are its entire good physical movepool (psychic is bad offensively and egg bomb is weaker and less accurate than return).

Black Kyurem could make for a nice bulky attacker 95/120/170 defenses are great and 90/100/125 offenses are enough to wear down the foe easily(and this time its movepool can use both offensive stats easily). Genesect isn't that bad defensively either with 99/120/120 defenses, which are much better than what it has to work with normally.

Genesect could easily run Shift Gear/X-Scissor/Blaze Kick/ExtremeSpeed, Iron Head or Explosion. As with Blissey, most of Genesects movepool is special, and Genesect's only method of raising its special attack is through Charge Beam.

Slaking has 100/95/160 defenses so it could be a great wall, although Truant still sucks.

Surprisingly, Munchlax is one of the fastest pokemon here, only outsped by 11 pokemon. Snorlax is still better everywhere, though.

Tyranitar is also a great special wall with 61/95/134 defenses, and its special defense gets boosted by sandstorm. Furthermore, Tyranitar can use Iron Defense or Curse to boost its defense. Furthermore, it still has great 100/110/100 offenses, with its higher special attack having a better movepool with Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Surf, and Earth Power, all of which are good moves. Its physical movepool is Earthquake, Crunch, Pursuit, Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Aqua Tail, Elemental Punches, Brick Break, Low Kick, and Superpower, most of which are moves that share the same niche as another one.
  11. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

One stat-swapping metagame is enough, and I'm pretty sure we have more than one already. Rejecting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)