1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

There's no Mekhi Phifer

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by KDhasrisen, Nov 8, 2012.

1. KDhasrisen

KDhasrisen

THERE'S NO MEKHI PHIFER:

[​IMG]

What’s up Smogonites! KDwillrise here bringing you another team – the second one ever. This right here is another sand team which I made about a few weeks ago and has got me moderate success on the ladder and greater success on wifi battles. This is another sand team using the Conkeldurr + Reuniclus combo not seen much these days but still as effective as ever. So with nothing else to say let’s gets right to it.

THE TEAM:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TEAM BUILDING:

As I said I wanted to use the Combination of Conkeldurr + Reuniclus so definitely these two pokes need to be on the team (no shit).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next I added Salamence to the Team do great damage on the opponents team and rip major holes in the other team so my combo Conkeldurr or Reuniclus could clean up the weakened teams.

[​IMG]

Genesect fit right into the team (well he fits right into any team) because of his versatility and as a great revenge killer.

[​IMG]

Next I needed weather on this team to stop opposing weather abusers dead in their tracks and to get weather in my favour so in comes Tyranitar for his ability Sand Stream and a potential specially defensive wall against Choice Specs Hurricane Spammers.

[​IMG]

Rain teams were a slight problem to deal with so Gastrodon came to save the day and patch up my water weakness.

[​IMG]

And there we have it folks.

STRATEGY FOR EACH POKEMON:

[​IMG]

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw

Feast your eyes on what may possibly be the most vicious Choice Scarf user in OU, popularized by the release of its Dream World ability, Moxie. Salamence has many opportunities to do its job; many opponents often switch in their least useful Pokemon to take incoming assaults. These plans backfire, however, as Salamence gains an Attack boost for each kill it gets, punishing the opponent and forcing him to reconsider his strategy. Furthermore, Salamence's traits, including powerful Dragon-type STAB moves and high offensive stats enable it to perform more consistently than its competitors. After the Choice Scarf and an Attack boost from Moxie factored in, Salamence will effectively have a Dragon Dance boost.
    Outrage is the main move on this set due to its high Base Power, STAB boost, and excellent neutral coverage. Dragon Claw is be used either for late-game sweeping or when Salamence cannot afford to lock itself into Outrage. Fire Blast seems odd on a physically based set; this is Salamence's only good option against Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn, all of whom take any other move comfortably. Earthquake is used in the last slot because it provides coverage against other Steel-types, most notably Heatran and Jirachi, and also takes advantage of the set's physical power.

[​IMG]

Landorus-I @ Life Orb
    Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk)
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EV's: 252SpA/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
    Rock Polish/ Earth Power/ Focus Blast/ Hidden Power [ICE]

As suggested by Asek Gensect is now being replaced with Landorus to combat my Gene-Duggy sun weakness as i already have a better revenge killer in Salamence (yes its better) . Sheer Force boosts the majority of Landorus's special moves, giving it greater power than the physical version outside of sandstorm, and also negates Life Orb recoil. Earth Power is Landorus's best special STAB move, boosted by Sheer Force, and so is a given. Focus Blast provides coverage on Skarmory, which is lured in and comfortably 2HKOed, Ferrothorn, and Hydreigon. It can even OHKO Choice Scarf Rotom-W and 2HKO some Blissey after Stealth Rock damage! Hidden Power Ice may seem a strange choice, given that it is not boosted by Sheer Force and will hence cause Life Orb recoil, but it secures an OHKO on Gliscor, other Landorus, and Salamence, as well as hitting a host of other Dragon- and Grass-types. Rock Polish is usually saved until late in the game, allowing you to sweep a weakened team at a moments notice. If the opponent lacks a true counter to special Landorus, it puts them in a very tight spot.

[​IMG]

Gastrodon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EV's: 248HP/ 252SpA/ 8Spe
    Scald/ Earth Power/ Ice Beam/ Recover

With Choice Specs, a Storm Drain boost and possible Drizzle support from an opponent's Politoed or your own, Choice Specs Gastrodon is a very real threat in today's metagame with its perfect neutral coverage. To put its power into perspective, with all of the above, Gastrodon has the equivalent of 1046 Special Attack when using Surf. Opponents will have serious problems switching into Gastrodon; maximum power Surf is guaranteed to 2HKO physically defensive Ferrothorn. If you predict it switching in, Earth Power deals 52.8% - 62.5% to even the most specially defensive variants. Surf also deals 48.9% - 57.7% to 252 HP Bold Blissey; unfortunately, this misses a guaranteed 2HKO, but it certainly dents it enough to make it scramble for recovery. As you can see, with this much power available to Gastrodon in certain situations, it can prove to be a devastating wallbreaker against Drizzle teams and an excellent offensive counter to them in general. Of course, Gastrodon is not limited purely to countering Drizzle teams with this set, it still has enough bulk to stop most special attackers in their tracks. Considering many common Pokemon give you a free attack and several give you Storm Drain boosts, Gastrodon finds many opportunities to wreak havoc.
    Surf, Earth Power, and Ice Beam all have excellent neutral coverage and great Base Power; with good prediction, there aren't many threats that can stand up to one of Gastrodon's attacks. Hidden Power Grass is used in the fourth slot to OHKO opposing Gastrodon as well as deal amazing damage to Rotom-W.

As suggested by Asek this pokemon now sports a life orb. This has obvious advantages such as the ability to switch moves and the ability to use Recover more effectively. This somewhat compromises Gastrodon's role as an over-the-top wallbreaker, but can be more useful for the team.

[​IMG]

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Payback

624 Attack and 339 Defense after a Bulk Up is no joke, and Conkeldurr shows why. Drain Punch allows Conkeldurr to tank through the opposition by hitting the opponent hard while recovering lost health. Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr utility in revenge killing threats such as Lucario and Hydreigon, bypassing its Speed issue. The combination of these two attacks and Bulk Up makes Conkeldurr a formidable threat once the opposition no longer holds a good Fighting-type resistance. Guts is icing on the cake since status effects such as burn and paralysis only make Conkeldurr stronger. Just to show how much of a monster Conkeldurr becomes with Guts activated, its +1 Drain Punch OHKOes max HP / min Def Scizor and is inches away from 2HKOing max HP / max Def Hippowdon.Ice Punch allows Conkeldurr to tackle top threats such as Dragonite and break Landorus-T and Gliscor with ease. Conkeldurr can also abuse Trick Room after Reuniclus has set it up to outspeed its opponents and wreck havoc on the opponent’s teams.

[​IMG]

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 Def
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Calm Mind
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball

I pride myself in this Reuniclus set. I made this set on my own and if anyone else has seen/made it I have no idea but since I haven’t seen anyone using it I’m calling it mine. There are ways to deal with CM reuniclus. There are ways to deal with TR reuniclus. The question is what are you going to do about a CM TR reuniclus? This set is an absolute monster capable of single handedly raping teams after TR and 1 calm mind boost.
    Reuniclus's low Speed and excellent Special Attack make it a natural candidate for a Trick Room sweeper. Magic Guard further adds to Reuniclus's potent sweeping capabilities, as it is not affected by residual damage, including Life Orb recoil, sandstorm, and entry hazards. Whereas some Reuniclus use Calm Mind and Recover to break down stall, this set gives fast offensive teams a great deal of problems thanks to its excellent coverage and ability to outpace virtually all Pokemon when Trick Room is active while boosting its Special stats with Calm Mind making it very hard to take down.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

While Tyranitar's stats may not immediately scream "wall," the Special Defense boost garnered by sandstorm allows it to switch into most special attacks with ease. Stealth Rock provides great support for the team, ruining the fun of Volcarona and Tornadus. Crunch is the most reliable STAB move here, and deals massive damage to Ghost- and Psychic-types, who often rely on their Special Attack. Superpower rounds off the coverage, allowing you to face opposing Tyranitar and Terrakion.
    Careful is the nature of choice here, as it raises Tyranitar's already great Special Defense to a level that is all but obnoxious. To this set Leftovers recovery is a godsend when repeatedly switching into attacks.

CONCLUSION:

Thank you for taking the time to read this RMT and if you decide to use this team I hope you enjoy using it as much as I have!

p.s there is no importable and I will edit the threat according to the changes I make so just revisit the thread to see changes in the team.

This took some time and hard work so please this read this RMT and give your comments and if you like it give it a luvdisc. Thank You :)
  2. EnterRAYZORS

EnterRAYZORS

Loving that Tyranitar picture!

Solid team here tbh. I would however go for giga drain > thunderbolt on genesect. Genesect can take on waters with both moves. (Other than Gyara who still gets hit hard) However Gastrodon and Quagsire can switch in with their immunities and force your hard switch. The switch in moves will also improve longativity.
    Coverage wont be lost as Ice is capable of covering the lack of electric move against flying types.
    All in all though this is a solid team, so good luck with it, and i hope i helped!
  3. Asek

Asek Mirror my malady, Transfer my tragedy
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hi, Got your request

Cool team. Straight away I can see that any variant of Gene + Duggy sun is going to cause you grief, as once ttar is trapped and out of the picture, standard sun sweepers such as Venusaur, Volarona and Victini are going to cause you massive headaches, as you don't really have anybody on your team who can take the massive power of their attacks and they can find set up chances on locked in Gastrodon, Genesect as well as Reuniclus in Volcarona's case. SD Toxicroak is also very annoying for this team to face if you lose the weather war, once its set up it can really go to town on your team and it can find set up opportunity's on Conkelldurr and Locked into Surf Gastrodon

First off, change your Genesect spread to 92Atk/ 252SpA/ 164Spe. With this spread, you only miss out on opposing Genesect, which is a speed tie at best, as well as +1 Hydreigon and Haxorus. The former of these is very rare, and the latter is beaten out by your own Salamence anyway if its a DD variant. The extra Attack is really good as it makes your U-turn substantially stronger, and considering U-turn will probably be your most used move it is definitely a strong change to make.

For Gastrodon, I don't think the choice specs set is the best set for it right now. Sure it offers huge amounts of power, but getting locked into either one of your STAB's isn't good, as any good rain team will have a solid answer to either one, so once your locked in you could be finding yourself a free switch in to the common mixed wall Ferrothorn and depending on what move you chose lots of other pokemon can switch into the respective move (Bulky waters take Surf, Leviators use Earth Power as set up bait). Unless you have top notch prediction and you don't feel like taking the opportunity to spam +1 STAB's then you wouldn't be using the coverage moves often anyway. not to mention the set does get worn out rather quickly with its natural slow speed and the fact that it will take a fair amount of hits because of that. I instead recommend you change the set to the LO Tank Gastrodon set. With recover and Life Orb you still retain large amounts of power, but you can now continually recover off damage caused by residual hazards damage and getting attacked from the opposing team. You now also gain the very important abilty to switch moves, which is great as it stops you from being completly walled if the appropriate mon comes into the move you choose. Also of note is this sets abilty to spread burns with scald, which will make physical threats like Gyarados think twice before attempting to come in and set up on you. Although you lose HP [GRASS] opposing Specially Defensive are set up bait for Reuniclus, and opposing offensive Gastrodon are rare anyway, especially with HP [GRASS]. Rotom-W is sort of an advantage for your team if its the bulky attacker set anyway, considering Conkelldurr very much wants a burn to raise its attack to amazing levels while avoiding other more troublesome status.

Now to combat your weakness to Gene + duggy sun I thought there was a mon who could slot right in and do the job. Having 2 users of choice scarf is IMO redundant, so although I suggested a Genesect change earlier in the rate I think he has to go as Salamence is a far better revenge killer while also having the bonus of being a semi sweeper as well. I would use Sheer Force Rock Polish Landorus > Genesect on this team. This variant of Landorus is a great endgame sweeper, as nothing on standard sun teams can take it on, in fact nothing much in standard OU can take it on that isn't a dedicated special wall. Once you've got that Rock Polish up you can just hit the Earth Power button and watch sun and most standard sand teams fall before you. Another option here is to run substitute to handle your toxicroak problems, but whichever you think is the biggest threat to your team is the one you should change the set for, so Rock Polish is probably better. Landorus in all offers your team a very good end game sweeper as well as a great counter to the new standard sun teams, while still retaining one of genesects big roles in beating gliscor

GL with the team, sets below
    Landorus & Gastrodon (open)
    Gastrodon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EV's: 248HP/ 252SpA/ 8Spe
    Scald/ Earth Power/ Ice Beam/ Recover

Landorus-I @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EV's: 252SpA/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
    Rock Polish (Sub if you feel like that)/ Earth Power/ Focus Blast/ Hidden Power [ICE]
  4. KDhasrisen

KDhasrisen

@EnterRAYZORS thanks for the rate man. good to see the team get some love.

@Asek thanks for the rate. I've tried out your suggestions and all of them have worked for this team greatly. Landorus not only patches the Sun Weakness but is a great late game sweeper with Rock Polish and Gastrodon's Survivability increases greatly with the LO set while still packing a punch after a storm drain boost.

Thanks a lot :)
  5. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude based wooper #dealwithit
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey man i got your request!

Now this team looks pretty solid and Aseks changes have definatly helped your team for the better. Because of these reasons there aren't really to much porblems with your team that i can see. I just have a few minor nitpicks to make your team more efficent.

My first suggestion is Fire Blast>Superpower on Tyranitar. This change still lets Tyranitar smash Ferrothorn but also Scizor and Genesect switch ins which is nice seeing as Genesect is the number 1 pokemon in usage. With Fighting-type coverage on Reuniclus and Conkeldurr you honestly shouldnt be missing out on Superpower that much. Fire Blast also helps you against Abomasnow who can revenge kill Salamence and Landorus with Ice Shard. Now although Superpower can do the same thing to Abomasnow if you have already used Superpower and have -1 attack you may not be able to ohko Abomasnow. Also seeing as your team is without a Steel-type it will have a hard time against Dragon-types. Although Salamence can revenge kill dragons he obiously has difficulty switching into Dragonite and Haxorus. If these pokemon accumilate two Dragon Dances then it is gg for you as they will outspeed Salamence and sweep your team. To help fix this problem i suggest Ice Punch>Payback on Conkeldurr. This gives your team an easier time against Dragonite and Haxorus because they cant set up on Conkeldurr due to Ice Punch. Even if Conkeldurr is weakend you shouldnt have much trouble with these Dragon-types because they cant set up on Conkeldurr and they can only ko it when it is weakend and if they ko Conkeldurr then Salamence can come in and revenge kill.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Show Hide

Tyranitar
    .Fire Blast--->Superpower

Conkeldurr
    .Ice Punch--->Payback

~Superpowerdude

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)