Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The weird part about Delphox is that it's based off of wizards, which are known to be the most versatile characters in RPGs (especially in Dungeons and Dragons, to the point that they're considered the most powerful character class). What's even more embarrassing is that Chesnaught, who is based off of warriors/fighters (aka the "hit things hard with pointy stick until they stop moving" classes) has a way better movepool both offensively and support-wise. Delphox got shafted.

The weird part about Delphox is that it's based off of wizards, which are known to be the most versatile characters in RPGs (especially in Dungeons and Dragons, to the point that they're considered the most powerful character class). What's even more embarrassing is that Chesnaught, who is based off of warriors/fighters (aka the "hit things hard with pointy stick until they stop moving" classes) has a way better movepool both offensively and support-wise. Delphox got shafted.
Not to mention Delphox, being themed off the mage, has the hidden ability to...steal things. Greninja, being based off the rogue, has the hidden ability to...magically transform himself into different types or substances....sounds to me like their abilities were switched at birth!

Not to mention Delphox, being themed off the mage, has the hidden ability to...steal things. Greninja, being based off the rogue, has the hidden ability to...magically transform himself into different types or substances....sounds to me like their abilities were switched at birth!
Or just Troll Freak logic

Well, if they're going to be incinerated by Delphox's flames...I guess they're not going to be needing those Leftovers, so why not magically spare them and give them to much more needy Pokemon, namely itself?

Greninja is a ninja, whom have been known to have an enormous list of specialties both real and fictional, so the perfect way to represent that flexibility is 'Type Change no jutsu', better known as Protean. But Delphox and Klefki's ability still sucks.

Speaking of that kind of cute little keyring Pokemon, I'm surprised that it has a trapping move that's seemingly almost pointless. Fairy Lock traps everyone on the field...for one turn. I didn't even know this move existed until I went digging through its move list.

Speaking of that kind of cute little keyring Pokemon, I'm surprised that it has a trapping move that's seemingly almost pointless. Fairy Lock traps everyone on the field...for one turn. I didn't even know this move existed until I went digging through its move list.
Not only that, but Fairy Lock takes effect on the next turn. Essentially useless unless you know you will have the advantage next turn...

The only thing I can remember really hitting me by surprise from a Pokemon game was the revelation that Lysandre wanted to literally kill everyone, and that the game barely even beats around the bush about it. It was a way darker plot point than I expected a Pokemon game to have. Even Cyrus' "remake the world" thing wasn't quite so bluntly horrific. A pokemon game with a literal weapon of mass destruction, I can't say I expected to ever see that!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh, as long as we're talking about story surprises, I was actually extremely surprised in FireRed, after I defeated Lance and found out that my rival was the actual final boss!

This may sound weird considering it is one of the famous twists of all video games, but this was back when I was in elementary school, before I had my own computer, so I wasn't on the internet enough to discover a spoiler. None of the other kids at school mentioned it either, so when it happened, I was genuinely surprised. I'm sort of happy for it, I was literally shocked and it was a cool experience. I remember being so happy that I beat Lance, only to find out that I had to battle my rival immediately without having a chance to heal my team at all, and then being traumatized after losing to him hard because nothing on my team could beat his Venusaur.

I have something new that surprised me: Delibird has the most pointless Dream World ability. Now, while Insomnia is a decent ability, one of Delibird's regular abilities is Vital Spirit. Guess what, THEY ARE THE SAME THING. I know, Delibird isn't all that good and even if it got something great like Magic Guard or even Parental Bond, it would still suck, but still, that's a 100% waste of space on the game card. At least Reuniclus's Overcoat ability protects it from powder moves (such as Spore) in Gen VI.

I bought gen 5 when it was originally released in Japan, even though I couldn't read Japanese, haha. I still managed to play through fine, but I was seriously stumped as to why Eelektross kept avoiding my ground attacks.

You probably still had an easier time understanding it than if you had been playing this:

Holy crap, that is the most brilliant let's play ever, you now have me addicted like eggie! drug bag f***, lololol that was horrible!

Holy crap, that is the most brilliant let's play ever, you now have me addicted like eggie! drug bag f***, lololol that was horrible!
My battle cry for paint ball in a minecraft server I play on is now "I HAVE A PILLORY!" And the saddest part is that no one will ever get the referance. But I did see someone mention pokemon Glazed, has anyone heard what that is exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd always thought that Intimidate was a useless ability because Mightyena had it in-game, and even at the age of 8 I knew that Mightyena was essentially useless. It was a massive surprise to discover that Intimidate is actually really good, especially on Pokemon like Landorus-T and Mega Manectric.

I'd always thought that Intimidate was a useless ability because Mightyena had it in-game, and even at the age of 8 I knew that Mightyena was essentially useless. It was a massive surprise to discover that Intimidate is actually really good, especially on Pokemon like Landorus-T and Mega Manectric.
Same here, but it was with annoying npcs having pokemon with useless abilities while they just turn to dust before my attacks. *face wall face wall face wall*

I guess the fact that ORAS actually got made. What next, Half-Life 3? But on a more serious note, I'd kind of reasoned that it wouldn't get made for two reasons: (1) RSE already had trading compatibility with future generations, and (2) if it was going to be made, I would have expected it to come out after BW/BW2. But I guess there are also a a couple of good reasons for it being made - RSE enjoys a significantly better reputation now than it did at release, it's kind of the Wind Waker of the Pokemon series, and the killer reason: GameFreak has nothing else to do. They JUST make Pokemon games. Come on GameFreak, you have a good track record, why not make a new IP? It could be another 200-million-selling franchise, and I'm sure it would get some sales just from the GameFreak name

I guess the fact that ORAS actually got made. What next, Half-Life 3? But on a more serious note, I'd kind of reasoned that it wouldn't get made for two reasons: (1) RSE already had trading compatibility with future generations, and (2) if it was going to be made, I would have expected it to come out after BW/BW2. But I guess there are also a a couple of good reasons for it being made - RSE enjoys a significantly better reputation now than it did at release, it's kind of the Wind Waker of the Pokemon series, and the killer reason: GameFreak has nothing else to do. They JUST make Pokemon games. Come on GameFreak, you have a good track record, why not make a new IP? It could be another 200-million-selling franchise, and I'm sure it would get some sales just from the GameFreak name
Could you explain what you mean by "Wind Waker of pokemon"?
I've never played it, because I didn't have access to a game cube until I got a wii which was waay after the hayday of the game cube.

Could you explain what you mean by "Wind Waker of pokemon"?
I've never played it, because I didn't have access to a game cube until I got a wii which was waay after the hayday of the game cube.
Wind Waker was bashed at its release for it's cel-shaded graphics. However, since then, it has become one of the most well-regarded games in the Zelda series.

finding out that people actually ate pokemon with no regrets whatsoever. Like.. it's a slowpoke. You're eating its tail. meaning the Slowpoke Well was quite possibly just some farming operation for the entire city to feed off of them. But yeah. that.

I was a child when first generation came out and was terrified of Team Rocket after finding they killed Cubone's mom in Lavender Town. I remember crying to my mom that it wasn't fair and alternating between of Team Rocket during battles (they might kill my pokemon) and jubilation after kicking their butts! ( and now they are my fave team ever lol)

"even at the age of 8" like that's such a big accomplishment...I knew mightyena sucked at age 4...it's that bad.

Kecleon didn't learn Camouflage until Gen 6.

And it's an Egg move in Gen 6.

gj trollfreak

Also when I learned about the move Techno Blast I assumed it was Porygon-Z's new sig move. Not to late to give it to Porygon, Trollfreak! (just imagine a Base 120 special Adaptability-boosted move coming from Porygon-Z's Base 135 Special Attack--even resists crumble)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)