Things to adjust for LC Pokemon

Hey guys. I've got a few suggestions for the analysis pages of the Pokemon who are in the LC metagame.

1) Recolor bars to reflect stats proportionately to Little Cup

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mantyke

See how the first set analysis describes Mantyke as having a fantastic 16 SpA? Why isn't it reflected in the colored bar that shows the SpA stat (it's dark red at 60). I think the colors should be reflecting their stats in comparison to the Little Cup metagame, not Standard.

2) Adjust mins/maxes to reflect stats at level 5.

This is pretty much in the same vein as the above. It's more useful to have mins/maxes reflect level 5 (that's where they're used in Little Cup, after all). Having them show level 100 stats is ultimately pointless.

Thanks!

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I remember Gen_Emp saying he had spoken to someone about this (and adding LC as a tier), and that it probably will get done at some point but that its not a priority for programmers at this point. It's a good idea that I agree with entirely, and hopefully when some of the more major programing projects (tabs, calc, SB2) are done will get some attention, but I doubt its going to happen before that. If I'm wrong and this is a quick fix, then that's great.

Although this does make sense, I think it would be rather hard to set the colors; For example rhyhorn has a base Speed of 25, yet it can reach 13 speed and the fastest Pokemon in the tier reach 20 speed, such as Elekid who has 95 base Speed, so that's the reason this is why I think this is going to be hard.

(not saying it's a bad idea)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't see how that makes it "more difficult". 13 is much less than 20.

It would be less accurate but certainly not impossible.

Besides this, the tier of the Pokemon should be changed from NFE to Little Cup.

I don't see how that makes it "more difficult". 13 is much less than 20.
I think what he's trying to say is that it'd be harder to color the bars because there isn't as much of a difference as there is in standard. Sure, 13 and 20 may be different, but they aren't as different as, say, 91 (Sassy Bronzong) and 460 (Jolly Ninjask).

I'm not so sure about changing the tier to LC. LC isn't a tier. It's a metagame, but it's defined in a totally different way to the tiers. Indeed, LC has its own tiers (standard and Uber).

In particular, all LC-eligible Pokemon will be in one of the tiers, usually NU but in principle any tier (if the idea of tiering all the NFE's properly happens). A Pokemon can't be UU and NU at once, but it can be LC and NU together.

I think what he's trying to say is that it'd be harder to color the bars because there isn't as much of a difference as there is in standard. Sure, 13 and 20 may be different, but they aren't as different as, say, 91 (Sassy Bronzong) and 460 (Jolly Ninjask).
If you use percentages, it works just fine. Take one of the highest general speeds, and make that the highest percentile. Give the lowest speeds the lowest percentile. Then just divide every other speed in between evenly.

Like cantab said, what would gligar's page look like? Following this logic, shouldn't the pages for uu/nu pokemon use color bars proportional to the tiers?

I actually think this is a good idea, just a little fiddly in implementation. The new tab system coming to the strategy dex may present the best solution; it would be great if the colors displayed can be linked to what metagame tab is currently open.

The current color system works okay for uu/nu, the only issue is that the red bars attempt to cover too broad a stat range. Using more colors could fix this.

In short, make the colors proportional in lc tabs. Use more color categories in everything else (although this is not terribly important).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No, they really are about as different.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You are not comparing like with like, 13 is Rhyhorn's max+ speed and you are using min IV, - nature, no investment for Bronzong. A Bronzong with max+ actually hits 181, and Ninjask is hardly a fair comparison, lets take Jolteon and its 394 max Speed. Suddenly you see that actually, the spreads are not hugely different (fun note, +2 Bronzong outspeeds Starmie).

I'm not so sure about changing the tier to LC. LC isn't a tier. It's a metagame, but it's defined in a totally different way to the tiers. Indeed, LC has its own tiers (standard and Uber).

In particular, all LC-eligible Pokemon will be in one of the tiers, usually NU but in principle any tier (if the idea of tiering all the NFE's properly happens). A Pokemon can't be UU and NU at once, but it can be LC and NU together.
Ideally, yes, LC would have its own set of tiers entirely separate from Lv. 100 play, probably below the normal tier list. However that would be a significant change to the current system, requite changes to the Pokemon database (to allow for an extra set of tiers), and is unlikely to happen with LC at it current size. A compromise solution which makes the LC analysis much more accessible, and as far as I understand it would be vastly more simple, would be to add LC as a tier. Pokemon in two tiers at once could probably be added by hand, or allowing Pokemon to display in multiple tiers (would be handy with tabs for other analysis too).

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The actual spread is between 5 (lowest stat, munchlax's speed) and 160 (highest stat, onix's defense). I might even just rule 160 out or something to get things a little more even.

The raw speed is irrelevant.

The actual spread is between 5 (lowest stat, munchlax's speed) and 160 (highest stat, onix's defense). I might even just rule 160 out or something to get things a little more even.

The raw speed is irrelevant.
For LC, the actual stats ARE relevant, due to the 'quantisation' effect. A lot of Pokemon with different base stats end up with the same maximum actual stat.

Besides that, to get things 'even', just use percentiles. Say if you have five colours, then red is the bottom 20%, orange the next, then yellow, yellow-green, and green the top 20%. That's probably better than equal intervals.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guess what: I've already thought of ALL of this stuff. I can understand your eagerness, but this is already being taken care of. Besides, I'd rather have something easy that looks accurate by adapting what already exists than have something be slightly better and require a bunch of coding from scratch.

Also I would also rather have 75 appear to be better than 70 as well simply because it requires less EVs to max (therefore is better). It's a pointless distinction.

I might even just rule 160 out or something to get things a little more even.
Besides that, to get things 'even', just use percentiles. Say if you have five colours, then red is the bottom 20%, orange the next, then yellow, yellow-green, and green the top 20%. That's probably better than equal intervals.
You could just deal with Onix's defense by adding the cyan color that appears at 200 for OU Pokemon, which is how Steelix's Def is shown now, along with a few other outliers like Blissey's HP and Shuckle's Def and SpD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)