This is for cricket fans!

Get ready guys the WC 2011 is coming. :>. In response to the tyranny of the NHL thread,and the deader than dead Cricket thread,this thread is open. Talk about where you play,what you play as,who you're supporting in the WC,all over here. I hope I can get you non cricket fans to like it :/

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I guess, it's a new year, we might as well have a new cricket thread..

NZ is probably going to win the world cup.

On the topic of Khawaja, it is pretty unfair on him to bring him in to bat at 3. Clarke or Hussey need to step up. I guess they are just looking at this as a temporary swap, but it's not like a dramatic change to the batting lineup is going to make things significantly worse.

Have a nice day.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well I assume it is #3, but batting at 3 is definitely far harder than batting at 6.

Have a nice day.

Well I assume it is #3, but batting at 3 is definitely far harder than batting at 6.

Have a nice day.
Well if he bats at 3 in FC Cricket then he should bat there in test Cricket as well. If you want him to be your long term #3 player then I don't know why you wouldn't want him to bat there.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
I doubt they do want him to be their long term #3. When Ponting goes, Clarke should take that spot.

Have a nice day.

NZ is probably going to win the world cup.
lol'd, good joke Hip.

And yeah Khawaja at three is being thrown in the deep end really. Clarke needs the runs, why not give him a shot at three?

I was close with a 2-1.. but even I didn't expect this. Cook with 700+ runs O_o

India vs SA was very very satisfying. #1 vs #2.. slightly disappointed that we allowed SA to recover after having them 130/6 but meh..

Kallis. Tendulkar. Steyn.

All freaks!! lol

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
Waddle made an interesting point on radio - is this the team of the ashes:
Cook, Strauss, Trott, Pietersen, Hussey, Bell, Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson?

Have a nice day.

I think that's pretty accurate Hip lol. Aussie were just plain outplayed, no questions asked.

SA vs India was great I thought, especially that last match. The series was pretty much Kallis/Tendulkar/Steyn with a bit of Harbhajan but it was still really good I thought. Sad that Prince couldn't manage a hundred but oh well.

NZ getting dicked; who picked it? 176/6 atm, not looking good. And Ryder had to get run out at the non-striker's end when he was playing well ofc. ~_~

New Zealand regain some credibility after recovering to 7/260 after an 83 run partnership between Williamson and Southee.

Has anyone checked out ipl auction, it's a joke. Gambhir and Uthappa going for 2million+ whilst Gayle and Ganguly weren't bid on at all. Also the highest wicket takers from past two seasons Ojha and Mishra went for 500k and 300k respectively. Have these guys watched cricket?

Has anyone checked out ipl auction, it's a joke. Gambhir and Uthappa going for 2million+ whilst Gayle and Ganguly weren't bid on at all. Also the highest wicket takers from past two seasons Ojha and Mishra went for 500k and 300k respectively. Have these guys watched cricket?
Yeah some serious "wtf" moments so far. Admittedly Gambhir is a pretty good T20 player but not worth THAT much. I'm not surprised by the big names not getting in though. Ganguly is old now and he's not really been in touch since the last IPL I would assume. Gayle has serious problems regarding availability. No franchise wants players who only play a few games and then be away for most of the tourney. Also this sudden shift in players is going to cause some problems. All of a sudden Rahul Dravid playing for RR? Kallis playing for KKR? It's messed. I think the teams who stuck to there core players will be in a better position (CSK and MI). Mumbai Indians looking really good IMO.

- Sachin Tendulkar (C)
- Davey Jacobs (W)
- Rohit Sharma (Hate him but he seems to perform well in IPL so meh)
- Andrew Symonds (LOLOLOL)
- Kieron Pollard
- filler
- filler
- Harbhajan Singh (LOLOLOL)
- Lasit Malinga
- filler
- filler

@IPL: It's a fucked up system; they should play it more like football.

@NZ: You fucking suck and every single one of you should feel terrible.

Yeah some serious "wtf" moments so far. Admittedly Gambhir is a pretty good T20 player but not worth THAT much. I'm not surprised by the big names not getting in though. Ganguly is old now and he's not really been in touch since the last IPL I would assume. Gayle has serious problems regarding availability. No franchise wants players who only play a few games and then be away for most of the tourney. Also this sudden shift in players is going to cause some problems. All of a sudden Rahul Dravid playing for RR? Kallis playing for KKR? It's messed. I think the teams who stuck to there core players will be in a better position (CSK and MI). Mumbai Indians looking really good IMO.

- Sachin Tendulkar (C)
- Davey Jacobs (W)
- Rohit Sharma (Hate him but he seems to perform well in IPL so meh)
- Andrew Symonds (LOLOLOL)
- Kieron Pollard
- filler
- filler
- Harbhajan Singh (LOLOLOL)
- Lasit Malinga
- filler
- filler
He may be old but Ganguly was fourth highest run scorer in last ipl so surely was worth at least 400k considering some of the players that went higher than him. Gayle may be unavailable i guess but Pollard probably will too, also many other international players. Flame_Blade can you think of any reason as to why Ojha and Mishra went to so low i'm really scratching my head regarding that.

I was honestly amazed at no bids on Gayle as even though he may not be available, you'd really really want him there for when he is available since he is just such a good T20 player - opens the batting, bowls and can captain. I mean if you were sitting there and nobody else bidded why the fuck would you not just go "sure why not?". It makes no sense. :/

Also what is it with McCullum and getting out to horrible horrible umpiring decisions?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shit. NZ crash and burn. Oh god I need to take my mind of this somehow

EDIT: I found the silver lining!

Chris Martin got 100 Runs (in his career) and hit a four. Nice Going Phantom!

Also at the risk of getting flamed but I believe Dan needs a break. Granted he is sick atm but he needs to find a bit of form with the bat. I know he bowls very well but his batting has been average at best lately.

Waddle made an interesting point on radio - is this the team of the ashes:
Cook, Strauss, Trott, Pietersen, Hussey, Bell, Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson?

Have a nice day.

Overly swayed by the later half of the series IMO, IIRC Hadin had a better average and a better record with the gloves (in terms of chances/drops) than Prior..

Australia had a really base case of getting out fishing on the off-side in the Ashes series..

Chris Gayle went unsold, which was a shock for many. Why did franchises turn a blind eye to a mercurial, proven match-winner?
Easy one - it's due mainly to his unavailability this year. West Indies are busy during the next two IPL seasons. They'll be hosting Pakistan this year and play Australia at home and England away in 2012. And his base price of $400,000 worked against him - he would not be a bargain punt, as some others could be.

So yeah that should explain Gayle's exclusion. Pollard is different in that he doesn't play test matches so he should be available more often. There are also some contract issues with WI Cricket or something and Pollard is more of a freelancer T20 player. As for Ganguly I agree he was pretty good in the last season but people have a habit of going for the younger guys. I dunno it is somewhat messed but I can see some decent reasons as to why they weren't picked.

Bowlers usually don't go for that much I would imagine. It's more the big hitters that make the big bucks. So yeah prices wise I'm not too sure but the actual auction was rather interesting this time around.. some of the teams look so weird now after being use to certain players playing for certain teams.

Can't believe Ganguly went unsold :/,I mean being one of the best ODI openning partnerships has to count for something right? only mishra a brilliant leggie like him and DD haven't even bothererd to retain him. btw have DD retained Daniel vettori? Also do any of you play cricket or do you just watch(just asking >_>)?

Can't believe Ganguly went unsold :/,I mean being one of the best ODI openning partnerships has to count for something right? only mishra a brilliant leggie like him and DD haven't even bothererd to retain him. btw have DD retained Daniel vettori? Also do any of you play cricket or do you just watch(just asking >_>)?
I mostly watch. Haven't had the opportunity to play seriously for a while. I do bowl a little inside my house (lol) at times. Experiment and learn about swing and getting the ball to move off the seam etc. I enjoy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)