ORAS OU This. Is. Stall!

Tello! This is hipoNucleus with an Oras OU rmt on a stall team (my English is not very good so excuse me). The team shows how laughable pokemons can have certain niches in the current mega overrun meta, namely mantine. The team tries to check or counter most mons that are predominant in the tier and does so pretty well, its a fun team to use and has done pretty well for me. The main mon however is mega sableye who i always thought was the best mega introduced in oras and has taken the mantel from mega venusaur as most famous mon in stall teams. The current set i use on m sableye is the first one i used ever since the oras ou ladder was introduced on main and i think its probably the best set it has, much better than the knock off sets i have seen others use. magic bounce is very useful and combined with unaware by clefable, the team does very well. bronzong also returns this generation as a very useful pokemon, it used to be physically defensive for mega mence but since that is banned i made specially defensive for mega voir. So lets get to it~

Team Building Process

so started with mega sableye, magic bounce allows me to keep hazards out of my field and lets me handle opposing stall teams as well.

Next was jirachi as i needed something to cover sableyes only weakness, fairies. jirachi did a good job and also covered the mother of all ou fairies, mega gardevoir.

i knew set up mons, opposing cm sableye would become a problem and needed to cover the ghost weakness of jirachi, unaware clefable also provided good utility in heal bell and also could take out sableye, set up dragons etc.

next i needed a bird spam check, rotom wash came to my mind but i thought i would use rotom heat to sort of check mega sceptile too, since i thought back then it would be a big threat.

ferrothorn has a great typing and has great synergy with sableye and others. leech seed helps put mega bro on a nice timer since rest can easily take away status moves thrown on it as well covering the occasional crocune.

gliscor was needed so the team can handle scarf excadrills and lando's, but the team used to still fail badly towards bulky water types+keldeo. char-y become a big problem and i needed a dedicated special wall that could handle gengar, char-y give me defog and also take care of scald spam.

gimmicky as it seems, mantine does very well for the team, providing defog, great special bulk and a useful ability in water absorb, i changed jirachi to bronzong to handle ground types bettter since mantine could not take rock attacks that most ground mons had.

zardx and bird spam mainly pinsir was still a problem, replaced rotom heat with rhyp.
so this is the final team-

so lets get onto them individually~

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
- Calm Mind

Mega sableye has the wonderful mix of great defenses and and an amazing ability in the form of magic bounce that go together very well. Almost always my lead to mega evolve and probably burn the opposing lead lando's etc with priority wisp, the mechanics allows it to have both the abilities when its mega evolving so it gives me priority wisp as well as helps keep hazards of my end. Thanks to its bulk i can switch it in many times during a battle when i suspect the opposition is going to lay hazards or when i am facing stall teams, not to mention this thing makes chansey users cry 7/10 times. although sableye cant do much to it, it helps in making it switch out and gives me a turn of free prediction. dark pulse if my mono attacking choice and i choose it over shadow ball to hit normal types, even if it is not as effective to psy/fairy types, as cm setter i do not want to switch out at +6 just because i cant do anything to the opposition.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Bronzong has really become a viable mon this generation thanks to the previous bans of aegi and mega mawile. This thing helps me counter mega gardevoir, sylveon etc and also do a good chunk of damage to them with gyro ball, it is also a very good rock setter, eq helps in taking out magnezone if i get trapped by it and also predicted heatran switches. bronzongs typing also gives me a good number of resistances while also helps against greninja (INSANELY BROKEN DUDE) if it lack dpulse which it seldom does.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable is a little monster and the fairy typing it received last generation has really helped it become popular in ou, both as a cm attacker and as a wish support. unaware helps me in taking on set up mons like opposing sableye or some dragons. heal bell lets me hel any status problems as well as helps in the rest of mantine. moonblast is a very good attacking move helping me weaken rotom wash and the likes, clefable also creates pressure to opposing latios from switching in to defog. clefable can also deal against lead garchomps that is very common, a good check to cm keldeo and also to conkeldurr.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Roar

Rhyperior is a p great mon and is a good answer to bird spam, takes care of mega charizard x and victini better. ice punch takes care of lando switches and possibly gliscor. smack down helps me take care of skarmory and also surprise rotom switches etc. it the job better than rotom heat due to solid rock and better physical bulk. roar is also helpful as a phazing move.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Magnezones smh, everytime i start using ferro, the usage of magnezone rises. such a shame. Well thats the reason i use shed shell. ferro also takes care of fairies not named mega gardevoir (focusblast sucks), spike stacker and leech seed for recovery,power whip helps me take on rain teams especially mega swampert and the occasional mega gyarados.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Defog
- Rest

People think using mantine is a joke, but it really glues the team together. i got the idea from a friend and this set is p good in doing what it does best, a dedicated special wall. scald is a great move that i always spam for the burn chance, defog for removing hazards when i cant switch sableye in and haze for special setters like manaphy, crobro etc. this thing walls manaphy very nicely.

Well thats the team, threats include greninja(almost every team has that as a threat), lo sub gengar, sub sm keldeo(sacred swords does a ton to mantine after 2 or 3 boost and scald hurts clef when weakened), charizard x, mega swampert seems like a problem on paper but i have been able to play around it very well. a well play mega beedrill is also dangerous but it can be taken care off.

well all comments/criticism are aprreciated, thank you for reading and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Nice team. I only have one suggestion and that is to change rotom-h into a rotom-w. I believe it might be a better option seeing as you have 3 ways of beating m sceptile (clef, bronzong, m sableye). While it doesn't beat thundurus and char y as well as rotom-h, you have other answers for both and rotom-w is a more viable mon in general. Really like the use of mantine, funny how often people aren't prepared for a wierd gimmick mon. I do the the same on my team with a regular gardevoir.

I like the novelty aspect of using something that is rarely seen in OU, but have you considered Tentacruel over Mantine for better functional purposes? I'm thinking of a set like this:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray

As much as I like Mantine, I don't think it's good because it lacks recovery and has a weakness to the rocks its trying to Defog away. It also loses 1v1 to TG + 3 attacks Manaphy once you're worn down and have to use Rest. Furthermore, having a defogger is counter-intuitive when you have the opportunity to set up your own rocks and spikes. Sure, Tentacruel's typing gives it a weakness to ground and psychic, but you already have immunities to both of those on your team. Spin blockers aren't much of a concern since Tentacruel beats most of them 1v1 with Acid Spray + Scald.

As for Rotom-H, I think its resistances are very useful for your team and I wouldn't switch it for Rotom-W. Your team could definitely use the second electric resist because it takes some of the burden off Ferrothorn. Hazard weakness shouldn't be a huge issue since you have the best Magic Bouncer in the game plus spin/defog support lol

Nice team!

Last edited:
I like the novelty aspect of using something that is rarely seen in OU, but have you considered Tentacruel over Mantine for better functional purposes? I'm thinking of a set like this:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray

As much as I like Mantine, I don't think it's good because it lacks recovery and has a weakness to the rocks its trying to Defog away. It also loses 1v1 to TG + 3 attacks Manaphy once you're worn down and have to use Rest. Furthermore, having a defogger is counter-intuitive when you have the opportunity to set up your own rocks and spikes. Sure, Tentacruel's typing gives it a weakness to ground and psychic, but you already have immunities to both of those on your team. Spin blockers aren't much of a concern since Tentacruel beats most of them 1v1 with Acid Spray + Scald.

As for Rotom-H, I think its resistances are very useful for your team and I wouldn't switch it for Rotom-W. Your team could definitely use the second electric resist because it takes some of the burden off Ferrothorn. Hazard weakness shouldn't be a huge issue since you have the best Magic Bouncer in the game plus spin/defog support lol

Nice team!
Thanks for the rate! I tried tenta and yeah it is working pretty good, tho the lack of something take scald spam is missing p, o well. Gliscor turns out to be a problem but can be dealt with. Thank you!

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks pretty cool, some very unusual Pokemon here but they actually work surprisingly well on this team. Since it's a stall team it's pretty easy to figure out what you're weak to, and there are a few things that give you trouble. Greninja can be annoying but can be played around, but it can potentially 2HKO everything on your team with a combination of Gunk Shot Ice Beam Dark Pulse and Low Kick (the most common moveset). Thundurus can potentially 2HKO your entire team, but once again, can be played around. You have nothing for Charizard-X at all though, this desperately needs to be fixed especially since it sets up all over MSableye. MGyardos with Substitute+Waterfall+Crunch looks really hard to deal with since Ferrothorn can't stall it out with Leech Seed. Calm Mind Clefable looks tricky to handle since Bronzong and Ferro don't actually deal enough damage to it, though you can hate it with Mantine and PP stall it from there. Gengar also looks hard to deal with : Mantine can take 2 hits, but it can't take 3 or OHKO back so I can see you struggling to get past it. Victini can 2HKO everything on your team with a Choice Banded V-Create alone, even breaking past Rotom-H and Mantine. There are some other scary things like Crawdaunt and Mega-Houndoom but these are the main common things which threaten your teams.

With all that in mind, running Tentacruel over Mantine, as mentioned above, could be a good idea : it gives you a way to beat Gengar, Clefable, CM Mega-Slowbro and especially Greninja more reliably, and also Spin is better than Defog on this team because of its greater synergy with Spikes. However, I don't think this is necessarily a great replacement, since this leaves you weaker to Manaphy, Charizard-Y and Knock Off Landorus-I. You could run a fully specially defensive spread on Rotom-H to deal with YZard and Landorus, however, this leaves you much weaker to Talonflame and especially Mega-Pinsir (which you didn't deal with that well to begin with), so once again, this change isn't necessarily for the best (and even then, Lando-I has a chance to 2HKO with Focus Blast and you can't quite OHKO it back, so fully SpD Rotom-W isn't even a good answer to that). You have to choose what you lose to basically.

But imo you definitely need a Charizard-X counter or check because it is pretty common and you currently lose quite badly to it. One option would be to run Rhyperior over Rotom-H. This gives you an answer to Charizard-X and Victini, and beats Talonflame and Pinsir far more convincingly than Rotom-H does. However, you are still weak to Thundurus if you do this. Therefore I would run a spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD on Clefable. This lets you take 2 Thunderbolts from Thundurus, as well as deal with other electric types such as Manectric, Rotom-W and Raikou better, and also deal with Tail Glow Manaphy (relevant if you run Tenta>Mantine), Kyu-B, and Mega-Houndoom better. However, by not running a physically defensive spread on Clefable, you become weaker to Mega-Lopunny who can KO Clefable from full, and especially Mega-Heracross who can now 2HKO Clefable much more easily. If Mega-Lopunny is a concern, you can always run Hippowdon over Rhyperior. Its mixed defenses enables it to kinda check Gengar and YZard with careful play (switching in on Sludge Wave and Solarbeam respectively), however it can't actually reliably switch into these and XZard+Pinsir+Talon with the same spread, and it doesn't take these on nearly as well as Rhyperior does. Mega-Heracross still beats Hippowdon though, and can really only deal with with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature on Clefable. Heracross is far more uncommon than Thundurus so taking that on better is probably more important, but you may want to run the physically defensive spread just in case (you can still beat Thundurus with Phys Def Clefable, it's just a bit hard. Heracross just stomps all over you with SpD Clefable though.

Finally I would run Power Whip and 228 Defense on Ferrothorn. This stops you from being 2HKO'd by +1 MGyarados and lets you actually hit it back. I would run it over Spikes since these are kinda counter-productive if you run a Defogger, if you run Tentacruel over Mantine you might want to get rid of TWave / Protect instead.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Toxic / Fire Punch / Roar / Rest

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Toxic / Whirlwind

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Spikes / Thunder Wave / Protect

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hey man, love your team and the usage of unconventional pokes like Mantine!

Quick suggestion for Sableye's spread: use 252/160/96+, which comes at a lower cost to physical bulk while avoiding the 2HKO from Gengar Shadow Ball and offensive Heatran's Fire Blast 91% of the time, AND every attack from non-Hydro Pump Greninja (which is becoming the staple now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)