Threat List Entry Format

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Currently the various threat lists we have tend to be formatted very differently from the rest, and contain different information. In the move to Gen 5, I think it's best to standardize them. For reference:

Ubers "Threat List"

LC Threat List
UU Threat List
OU Defensive
OU Offensive

As you see, they all share some similarities (all have important moves, all are fairly brief other than the Ubers one, all list either all or important base stats). But there is a significant divergence in the approach to what information exactly is required, what writing style is used, and the layout of each entry.

The main uses I see for threat lists are as quick references for mid battle, players wanting to learn more about available proven Pokemon in a metagame in general without reading all the analyses, and finally as a resource for players building teams to check for weaknesses/look for new team members. In order to fulfill these roles, threat list entries should be as short as realistically possible while maintaining just the absolute essential information about how a Pokemon plays. Main information will be base stats, important moves, abilities (dream world abilities which are not out should be listed, but marked with Unreleased and not discussed in the entry, I think.). And a few brief sentences about how the Pokemon fits into the metagame, but not an extended paragraph or the threat list loses it's ability to be such a quick reference. There will be links to full analyses anyway, so no need to go into much detail.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
An example as requested by ete:

(sprite will be a smogon hosted one when we have them)

Nattorei (this will be linked to its analyses page when it gets one)
Type: Grass / Steel
Base Stats: 74 HP / 94 Atk / 131 Def / 54 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Ability: Iron Barbs

Nattorei's great typing makes it a tank to fear in the Ubers tier. It may not have instant recovery, but Leech Seed and Leftovers, and sometimes even Protect, keep Nattorei in tiptop condition. Nattorei's Steel typing gives it numerous resistances, and its Grass typing, while it does add some weaknesses, adds quite a few handy resistances. Its ability, Iron Barbs, also punishes users of Outrage, and any other contact move, with a loss of health. It also has access to a very valuable move in Ubers, Spikes, and Nattorei has the perfect stats and typing to make good use of it. It can lay down Stealth Rock as well, but this is better left to other Pokemon. While its offensive stats may be mediocre by Uber's standards, its Speed is so low it can make great use of Gyro Ball to punish the abundance of speedy Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)