SM OU Threats from the previous generation, Mega Mawile balanced offense (peaked 1743 #96 on ladder)

What's the teams weakest link?

• Total voters

X/Y was my favorite meta so far and by far the one I had the most succes in, I gave up on ORAS and didn't enjoy SM very much. But I recently gave competitive battling a go again, after I found out Mega Mawile was in OU, and got rather succesful with this team. But without further ado, let's take a look at the team.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute​

I wanted something that could hit hard enough to secure a huge hit every time I switched it in. Nothing really wants to switch into a Play Rough, and even pokemon that try to counter Mega Mawile, such as Landorus-T takes so much damage that it can only switch in a single time effectively. Play Rough and Sucker Punch are pretty self explanatory. Focus punch allows Mawile to take care of steel types such as Heatran, Scizor, Ferrothorn og Skarmory, that loves switching into it. Substitute eases predictions and prevents Mawile from eating a nasty leech seed or thunder wave from ferrothorn. The 16 speed is to avoid speed ties with the huge amount of base 50 speed pokemon.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse​

I really like specs greninja, and I wanted something that could clean late game and revenge kill. Greninja is wonderful at coming in on weakened targets and grab a kill or force a switch. Greninja can ohko some of the strongest and most popular pokemon in the tier, such as mega metagross and landorus-t, which in itself gives it a lot of room to breath. It's high speed and boosted special attack with choice specs also lets it kill a lot of popular mons after chip damage. U-turn takes advantage of this, since it gives me switch advantage when greninja forces a switch. Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse are stab and Water Shuriken is priority that my team relies heavily on to compensate for not having a scarfed Pokemon.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Morning Sun​

I added Espeon since I was tired of having a Rapid Spinner/Defogger on every team. Espeon also carries Dual Screen with the Light Clay, which IMO is a very underrated utility. Espeon allows the otherwise relatively frail Greninja, Mawile, Tapu Koko, and (broken Multiscale) Dragonite to take advantage of their types defensively, and switch into weaker or resisted attacks. With the screens up I can play the team as a balanced team rather than relying solely on brute power. Magic Bounce is also wonderful at dealing with Smeargle, without it forcing sleep and hazard turn 1.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Dragonite is actually quite hard to use with the massive amounts of fairies in the current meta. I mainly added it because I loved using Talonflame before the Gale Wings nerf, and Dragonite was the only pokemon I could think of that had priority of similar strength. I like priority because it allows you to play around setup sweepers like Mega Charizard X and Volcarona differently. That being said, Outrage is often a secure death after the first kill. Fire Punch and Earthquake are my coverage moves of choice, since they let Dragonite deal with pesky steel types that are often a problem.

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
I chose Assault Vest Tapu Koko because I wanted something that could switch into and beat Greninja and Tapu Fini. U-turn and volt switch lets it take advantage of the switches it forces, and often allows Espeon to come in on a stealth rocks. Since Tapu Koko can't really hurt any Stealth Rockers in the tier, it's very efficient at baiting the hazards out. Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam are just stab moves, while Volt Switch allows switching out with good damage and U-turn allows getting away from trapping abilities as well as getting switch advantage against ground types.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect​

Ferrothorn is kind of an oddball, since it kills the momentum the rest of the team tries to create. But it just handles so many would be threats such as Tapu Koko, Landorus-T and Tyranitar. It's also good at baiting out hazard since it's so passive. Lastly it sets up rocks on my part, which is always nice. Protect is chosen to scout fire type moves and for better recovery with lefties and Leech Seed. Gyro Ball is the only attacking move, which hits a wide range of Pokemon decently.

Toxapex: Being able to wall both Greninja and Mega Mawile, Toxapex is very, very hard to deal with. If the enemy has this and reliable answers to Espeon, Dragonite and Tapu Koko, it becomes very hard to win the game.
Full stall: There always seems to be something that can wall Mawile and Chansey can easily take care of greninja. Generally, I have to play really, really well to not lose to stall instantly
Bulky setup sweepers with recovery: I have to rely on priority to take down setup sweepers, so if I can't take them out with the priority moves I have, I'm in a very bad situation.

Final thoughts: Dragonite seems a bit underwhelming, I just really don't know what could possibly replace it without making the team worse.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse

Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Morning Sun

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Udklip.PNG

Last edited:

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi! Your team looks good but I think there's something to change.

First off, I suggest you to change your Band Dragonite into A Z Move Fly one, basically to wallbreak a lot of stuff with dragon dance, superstrike skystrike, fire punch hitting steels and lastly extreme speed which is a good prio being able to revenge kill especially when dragonite has already danced. This will surely help tho because band nite isnt that good in sm tbh :)

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Secondly, I'd remove Ferrothorn because it is way too passive for this hyper offense, since that would just stall out screens turns. In addition to this, since you need something to deal with volturns (ground type especially) and ddancers, you need a revenge killer. Scarf Garchomp fits in this team so well in my opinion, its a cool revenge killer being able to outpace Charizard (especially mega x) even if at +1.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage

Lastly, I suggest you to run Zap Plate Koko. This is an hyper offense and this will help doing more damages to a lot of stuff and of course you need this to may get some momentum with uturn while hitting hard with koko's stab moves (volt switch and thunderbolt). you also lacked hp ice in you team, which i usually find better than dazzling gleam because of the usually landorus and ground types which can be annoying. If you're scared about ash ninja you can always setup with Dragonite if the gren is locked in hydro pump for example, so don't worry. You also have a scarfchomp right now so just don't be scared too much about those threats :)

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse

Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Morning Sun

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage

That's all I can say, good luck man.

Last edited:

C0RIN

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]
Hey,really cool espeon team.In this rate I'm mainly going to do set fixes implying your team has the changes empo made.I really liked the creativity of the team and seems very fun to use.I am also very surprised you managed to reach top 100 with it as well.Time to give it a rate

Mega mawile
I truly think focus punch is very unnecessary on the set as w.o it it would be harder to break stall,as if you use thunder punch would make it much more easier to break stall as now you can deal with toxapex much easier while being able to hit skarmory and potentially paralysing skarmory.Also the reason you should use hyper cutter>intimidate so you can hit things like Landorus-t harder,which is a common mega mawile check

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: hyper cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

As for now that's all I got,right now I'm in class so I gotta finish this up.Reply if you have questions good luck with the team!

Hi! Your team looks good but I think there's something to change.

First off, I suggest you to change your Band Dragonite into A Z Move Fly one, basically to wallbreak a lot of stuff with dragon dance, superstrike skystrike, fire punch hitting steels and lastly extreme speed which is a good prio being able to revenge kill especially when dragonite has already danced. This will surely help tho because band nite isnt that good in sm tbh :)

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Secondly, I'd remove Ferrothorn because it is way too passive for this hyper offense, since that would just stall out screens turns. In addition to this, since you need something to deal with volturns (ground type especially) and ddancers, you need a revenge killer. Scarf Garchomp fits in this team so well in my opinion, its a cool revenge killer being able to outpace Charizard (especially mega x) even if at +1.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage

Lastly, I suggest you to run Zap Plate Koko. This is an hyper offense and this will help doing more damages to a lot of stuff and of course you need this to may get some momentum with uturn while hitting hard with koko's stab moves (volt switch and thunderbolt). you also lacked hp ice in you team, which i usually find better than dazzling gleam because of the usually landorus and ground types which can be annoying. If you're scared about ash ninja you can always setup with Dragonite if the gren is locked in hydro pump for example, so don't worry. You also have a scarfchomp right now so just don't be scared too much about those threats :)

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse

Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Morning Sun

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage

That's all I can say, good luck man.
Thank you so much for the rate! I like the Idea of Z-move Dragonite as a wallbreaker and scarfed rocks Garchomp might be very useful, especially since Tapu Lele have proven to be a bigger problem than I originally thought. I'm not so sure about Zap Plate on Koko, since the Assault West allows my a lot of favorable matchups. I'll try out the team and get back to you!

EDIT: I've tried the changes out and I really like them. I'll switch Koko back to assault west though, since I don't think the slight power increase is enough to justify the highly reduced special bulk.

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
Hey,really cool espeon team.In this rate I'm mainly going to do set fixes implying your team has the changes empo made.I really liked the creativity of the team and seems very fun to use.I am also very surprised you managed to reach top 100 with it as well.Time to give it a rate

Mega mawile
I truly think focus punch is very unnecessary on the set as w.o it it would be harder to break stall,as if you use thunder punch would make it much more easier to break stall as now you can deal with toxapex much easier while being able to hit skarmory and potentially paralysing skarmory.Also the reason you should use hyper cutter>intimidate so you can hit things like Landorus-t harder,which is a common mega mawile check

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: hyper cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

As for now that's all I got,right now I'm in class so I gotta finish this up.Reply if you have questions good luck with the team!
Thanks for the rate, however there's a few problems with the set. 1 Intimidate allows me to switch in on a lot of physical attackers that would otherwise beat me. Also, hyper cutter only works pre mega evolution, and dealing 50% more damage to lando in very few situations simply isn't worth it. And while tpunch allows me to better hit toxa, I lose the ability to kill skarm and heatran, since tpunch does less than 50% to skarm. Fpunch prevents skarm from roosting, since if it does, it loses it's flying type and take se damage from fpunch.

Hi! I tried your team out and had so much fun! I was surprised at how well Espeon did considering how frail it is and how much work av Tapu Koko puts in.

I switched banded Dragonite for Z-fly Salamence and was having a good amount of success. I really liked the extra Intimidate drop on the team and if I was able to get a dragon dance off my opponent usually had to sack at least two mons to deal with it. It was really able to pressure Tangrowth, Toxipex and other bulky mons because Z-Fly hits so hard. I know it isn't a huge change from Dragonite but I really liked it. You can choose between Jolly or Adamant but I like Adamant because it hits like a truck.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

I also changed Volt-Switch on Taku Koko to Hp Fire because it gave me an extra option when dealing with Ferrothorn. It is also an option to help with the Shedinja + Mega Sableye stall team going around. You could also make it Hp Ice but I never seemed to have a problem dealing with Landorous-T or Zygarde with this team.

Tapu Koko @ Assult Vest
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Like I said, I loved using this team. It's unique but effective and really pressures a lot of the mons in this meta.
Let me know if you like the changes!
Good Luck and have some fun out there!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)