1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Three dogs in the sand (OU Sand RMT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Anty, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Anty

Anty Kiss-My-Anthia
    is a Pre-Contributor

Hello everyone and thanks for reading. I have been playing competitive pokemon for i while now and i have been slowly creeping up the tiers. For the past three months i have been playing OU a lot and I like using weather, I have made at least a team for each one. this is my most successful team, I don't have an amazing ladder score (250) but that is because i cannot ladder in till my internet fixes but I have won a lot of games. (i do tend to rage quit over hax).

The team
    This is a somewhat of a standard sand team so it looks like others but I can honestly say i did not steal it. I have Ttar to set up the sand, two walls, jelly and rachi, and my three offensive dogs, stoutland, manectric and lando-t (he is a dog ;_; ).

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
    Mild Nature
    - Crunch
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Beam
    - Fire Blast
    This is my favourite ttar set and usually my lead. His job is to get up sand and set up rocks and maybe get a surprise kill. Although I have customised and changed it, overall this set is my favourite as it can roast ferro and freeze lando and glister. I use him over hippo because I like my teams being more offensive so ttar is the obvious choice.

[​IMG]
    Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    Scarf lando-t is great and can catch people of guard, he is this teams scarfer and a lot of people think it will be manectric or ttar. He is also a needed counter to volcarona, who can usually sweep me. I choose hp ice over superpower as I already have superpower on stoutland and it helps against physical walls such as other lando's and gliscor. I do need a scarfer just in case i loose the weather war.

[​IMG]
    Stoutland @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Return
    - Superpower
    - Wild Charge
    - Crunch
    I love this guy on sand teams as he is a tank and can easily sweep late game thanks to his speed and overwhelming power with the choice band. I like crunch over pursuit because it is not STAB and other mons can then set up on him whilst crunch is a good move to lock myself into. I have been experimenting with retaliation and the fangs but his move pool is good enough as it is.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - U-turn
    My physically defensive wall and my much-loved paraflincher. He is my only steel type and i rely on him to take outrages, which he does well. Body slam is better than t-wave because it can get damage of although the 40% non para chance can get annoying. I have wish for recovery and u-turn because i love volturn and it can get momentum whilst passing wishes.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 44 Spe / 216 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Recover
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball
    Jelly is my favourite special wall as it supports good bulk and a great supportive move pool. It is also a good check for keldeo and rain teams. I have tried taunt but i do prefer my other moves especially as I trie to use it on faster set up sweepers which can get up a nasty plot or dragon dance before I can taunt. It also can check non giga drain volcarona or it can live a hit and toxic it.

[​IMG]
    Manectric @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Overheat/Flamethrower
    Manectric isn't seen too often in OU due to it being partially outclassed by jolteon and raikou, but he has one thing they don't; strong fire coverage. This is very helpful because ferro is a problem for my team and not too many people know manectric's move pool. I use e belt because i don't want three choiced mons and he can kind of bluff one. He is my offensive check to rain teams. Im not sure whether to run overheat or flame-thrower because he needs the strength but then not to be setup fodder despite having volt switch.

Thank you for looking at my team and thanks for rating!

Threat list

[​IMG]
    Hp-dark keldeo-If rain is up he could potentially sweep me.

[​IMG]
    Gastrodon-Very hard to take down without grass attacks

[​IMG]
    Dragonite-Not as much of a threat but can be annoying

[​IMG]
    Volcarona-Same as dragonite.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Chlorophyl sun teams-Need to win weather war.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. MCBarrett

MCBarrett i love it when you call me big hoppa

Hey anty208, nice team you have here! The use of Manectric is kind of neat but I think there is another poke that can do his job and provide even more to the table to check your team's current threats.

Since you say Manectric is your Offensive Rain Check, but you still need some help against Sun Teams, I think using CM Latias over Manectric would be a great idea. CM Latias does well against both of these weathers thanks to it's bulk, resistances and ability to set up Calm Mind boosts. It can even take two Sludge Bombs from Venusaur and proceed to revenge kill with Psyshock. You can also run HP Fire to keep that coverage for Ferrothorn.
    You can use this set:

Latias @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature 252 speed/ 168 HP/ 88 sp att
    Draco Meteor
    Psyshock
    HP Fire
    Roost

Next, I would recommend you try using Taunt over Shadow Ball on your Jellicent. I know you said that you tried Taunt before but I think you did not like it since you weren't running any speed EV. If you run 88 speed EV on Jellicent you will be able to outspeed things like Defensive Politoed and Non-Custap Skarmory and Taunt them before they can Toxic you or set up Hazards respectively. This will also solve your Gastrodon problem as you will be able to Stall it out easily. It will also help you against Stall in general since you do have a few choiced Pokemon which can make it difficult to play around Stall at times.

Hope my suggestions helped! Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!
  3. Anty

Anty Kiss-My-Anthia
    is a Pre-Contributor

Thanks for the rate! I have tried your suggestions and taunt on jellicent has been working because before when it wasn't I didn't run speed ev's.
    I think you mistyped the latias set because it doesn't have calm mind on it....... But I have tried the cm set out and it has been doing as much as manectric but due to my incompetence I am very bad at using set up sweepers so usually I run sub and loose coverage so I'm not quite certain what I'll do. I have also tried volcarona out and that has worked nicely. I'll play some more and then I will decide.
  4. MCBarrett

MCBarrett i love it when you call me big hoppa

You're right I did post the wrong set, my bad. You can find the one I was talking about onsite but make sure you use the EV spread I recommended so you can beat Venusaur. Anyways, from my experience with this set, you should run coverage over Sub and only set up when necessary. This is usually when you are taking special attacks like HP Ice from Thundurus-T or Sludge Bomb from Venusaur since you are boosting the appropriate defensive stat at the same time. Also, thanks to it's natural offensive presence, Life Orb, and great speed/bulk, not only will it be hitting decently hard without setting up, but you will get many setup opportunities to do so throughout the match. Anyways, hope that advice helped you, good luck!

PS: If you decide to run Volcarona you will need a spinner/bouncer
  5. Anty

Anty Kiss-My-Anthia
    is a Pre-Contributor

BUMP
    Also i find it is hard for the opponent to set up stealth rocks, only really on a switch.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)