move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Rest
ability: Guts
item: Chesto Berry
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

Moves
========
  • Bulk Up to become really bulky and threatening.
  • Storm Throw is strongest STAB, but Circle Throw can be used to shuffle the opposing team and it still does /okay/ damage.
  • Knock Off is powerful and Fighting / Dark-type coverage is good.
  • Rest for instant recovery and removal of status to keep Throh healthy.
Set Details
========
  • EV spread and nature in tandem with Bulk Up makes Throh very bulky both physically and specially after a boost or two.
  • Guts to benefit from status that may inflict it.
  • Chesto Berry so Throh wakes up after using Rest.
Usage Tips
========
  • Switches into and sets up on walls such as Alomomola and others with impunity.
  • Get rid of Delphox, Moltres, Yanmega, and any other strong attacker with a super effective move before setting up.
  • Can absolutely destroy stall.
Team Options
========
  • Throh lures in Delphox and other Psychic-types, so Spiritomb and Skuntank are good partners as they can trap them and wipe them out with Pursuit + Sucker Punch.
  • Toxic Spikes setters such as Roselia and Drapion to wear down opposing Pokemon while setting up.
RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Circle Throw
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Guts
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD

Moves
========
  • Circle Throw for shuffling and being surprisingly strong after Guts is activated via Rest or another status.
  • Knock Off because it's Knock Off and Fighting + Dark coverage is good.
  • Rest with SleepTalk for instant recovery and to do stuff while asleep.
Set Details
========
  • Max Attack and Adamant to hit hard.
  • Given HP, Def, and SpD gives it optimal bulk.
  • Leftovers for recovery.
  • Guts to be especially strong after Rest or some other status.
Usage Tips
========
  • Can switch into walls such as Alomomola, Registeel, Jellicent, and others with impunity.
  • Good against balanced teams.
  • Shuffle around the opposing team to wear them down with ease.
Team Options
========
  • Sweepers such as Delphox and Hitmonlee appreciate not getting crippled by status, so Throh fits right in.
  • AV Slowking is a good partner as it doesn't really care about special attacks that threaten Throh like Psychic and Hurricane.
  • Rhyperior walls Fletchinder and Drapion can wall Gallade.
  • Wish support from Pokemon like Alomomola and Lickilicky is useful.
  • Hazard setters such as Omastar and Roselia to make very good use of Throh's shuffling prowess.
Other Options
########
  • Bulk Up.
  • Fire Punch for Escavalier, Stone Edge for Moltres, Earthquake for hitting Doublade harder after Knock Off and Poison-types neutral to coverage, Poison Jab for Aromatisse mainly, Thunderpunch for hitting Alomomola harder.
  • Sub + Pain Split.
  • Toxic for those really bulky walls like Alomomola and Aromatisse.
Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Pressure**: Hard hitters and Pokemon with super effective attacks can put pressure on Throh and put dents in it.

**Physical walls**: Alomomola and Aromatisse can stall out Throh, especially Aromatisse as it resists its main STAB and takes very little from coverage, but must watch out for Poison Jab.

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Okay, I'll go ahead and put this for QC now, but let me just say that a kinda dislike the current set because it can't touch Alomomola or Aromatisse at all, so I'm thinking about getting rid of it and replacing it with a BU set, but I would like some input before I do that.

Well, this is all theorymon, so sorry about that in advance, but I just don't think AV is the most optimal set Throh, just as you implied in your post. It does have the bulk and strength to pull off an AV set, but the lack of recovery hurts so much that AV fails to be viable. Throh is such an awesome user of RestTalk, and with good mixed bulk, I think some variant of RestTalk should be Throh's only set. I would think that a set with or without BU is possible. If not BU, it should prob be like RestTalk | Circle Throw | Knock Off, and if BU, one of the attacking moves replaced. With RestTalk-set, Throh becomes a shuffler that takes advantage of entry hazards, and disturbs Pokemon by removing their items. If you include BU in the set, you even get some power behind your attacking move. The main faults with the said set would be that quite a few Defoggers are part Flying-type, giving the middle finger to Throh, if a STAB is equipped, and you still can't get past some dedicated physical walls, such as Aromatisse and Alomomola, unless at +6 or something. Aside from supereffective hits (or otherwise stupidly powerful hits), Throh is hard to kill, and some kind of optimal EV spread should be looked, but that's what I think is Throh's definite niche in RU.

#200postwasted

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I already talked to galbia about what set Throh should be running yesterday. Thanks though! I'm definitely not keeping AV there.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
bumping this cause i'm not really sure if i want to approve throh anymore

QC members, thoughts?

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let's see, Zoroark gone. Psychic-types rising. Throh dealt with Zoro p. well. It hates Psychic-types a fuckton. Gurdurr is still around. So

QC Rejected 2/3 ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)