1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Thrown Together: OU 5th Gen

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Jamy, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jamy

Jamy

As the title impies, I have recently gotten back into Pokemon after a long absense and with only a quick look at the tier list and movesets, thrown with Bulky Offence team together. It seems to be going well so far, but I could use input.

The Team:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SP.Att/ 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    Moveset:
    -Ice Punch/(Thunder Punch?)
    -Iron Head
    -Trick
    -U-Turn

I used this thing in 4th Gen and it doesn't seem to have changed much in moveset, only uses. Instead of leading, Jirachi comes in, checking problem pokemon like Terrakion and gets when things heat up. Iron Head and U-Turn support these hit and run tactics, while Trick tends to be an emergency provision that can stop and cripple a set up pokemon. Oce Punch, though it allows Jirachi to check the Genies and some dragons, I miss coverage against bulky waters.

Strangely, I have had substancial use for my Jirachi even when I pop the Choice Scarf and its typing is a lifesaver. I am thinking on going more defencive (Serene Grace abuse?), thoughts?

[​IMG]
    Gyarados @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Att/252 Def
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
    Ability: Intimidate
    Moveset:
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Dragon Tail
    -Waterfall

Starting the Grass/Fire/Water trio I have is Gyarados, one of the more defencive members of my team by one of the less reliable. Rest and Sleep Talk are to heal and sponge, important since I do not have a spinner while Dragon Tail is my only means of direct phasing, but coming from Gyarados's attack, still hurts most things.

With Breloom as a status absorber though, I have questioned Gyarados's validity as one. Futhermore, Vaporeon can also dish out hard hits, can phase and can heal status under rain (Very common as I have seen). However, heavy physical hitters would become a problem without him.

[​IMG]
    Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Att/4 Def
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Ability: Poison Heal
    Moveset:
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Seed Bomb

Breloom has gotten tons of goodies this generation, but I like this set the best. I invest in HP since I find a standard Breloom too frail and this allows it to take the occasional Stone Edge, which Gyarados likes. The rest is pretty standard, though Seed Bomb may be replaced by Stone Edge itself if Jirachi loses Ice Punch or I lose another check.

I have thought of Celebii or Shaymin in this position, but Celebii would make my team weaker to dark and Shaymin wouldn't do much to help, no matter how tempting having actual solid defences are.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Air Balloon
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 SP.Att, 252 Spe
    Nature: Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
    Moveset:
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Stealth Rocks
    Rounding up this trio is Heatran. Originally a Volco-big moth thing, I decided against it because while the bug needs Rapid Spin support, Heatran can give SR, freeing out a slot for Jirachi. With a Modest nature, Fire Blast can sting non-bulky waters. I find most things that come in on Hetran or are a similiar speed tier are things that he has no business dealing with.

[​IMG]
    Latias @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4Sp.Att/252 Spe
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    Moveset:
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover

Ripped straight from the moveset list. I put in Substitute since it gives me extra safety from Status and T-Tar. I have found Latias a little weak at first and a little hard to set up with, but difficult to stop at +2. I use her over her brother as I perfer her bulk, allowing her to coming in early game to take some hits and sweep mid to late. However, I have thought to a move immediate set for either twin: Surf/Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse/Recover if such a thing is nessicary.

[​IMG]
    Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Att/252Spe
    Nature: Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Moveset:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Shadow Ball
    -HP Grass

The backbone of the special attacks, Jolteon also goes well with Gyarados, taking the electric moves that he is bound to attract. I have been running HP Grass, since Jirachi runs Ice Punch but this has lead to some sour encounters with Landorous, so this may be changes. Jolteons frality is also a major issues in an otherwise bulky offense team, so Zapdos is being considered as an alternative. Thoughts?

A threatlist is pending as I play more.
  2. Jamy

Jamy

Bump, no changes have been made yet.
  3. highjumpwin

highjumpwin

Id make gyarados a bulky dd one. Your team wont scare skarmpiss and others much, but gyarados can stop them both. He also keeps his handy intimidate and synergy with jolteon.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)