1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Thundurus-T

Discussion in 'VGC' started by TheMantyke, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TheMantyke

TheMantyke slow
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

So we'd like to break away from one of the older traditions of this forum where there was next to no conversation about individual Pokemon. From now on, feel free to post a discussion for an individual Pokemon like any of the other discussion forums.

------

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Thundurus-T

Base Stats

Movepool

From the playtesting I've done, Thundurus-T is an absolute monster. The sky high 145 base Special Attack is awesome and rips nearly everything to shreds. The Speed is good, but not nearly as useful as its old base 111 speed. Defensively, its base stats aren't impressive, but it has many good defensive traits. Electric + Flying grants Thundurus-T only two weaknesses in the form of ice and a whole host of useful resistances. Volt Absorb is a fantastic ability and stops Thundurus from ruining your base 101 speed with Thunder Wave. On top of all this, the Ground immunity that comes with Flying typing allows you to add on Earthquake users like Mamoswine and Garchomp

Useful sets

[​IMG]
    Thundurus-T @ Choice Specs
    Modest / Timid
    Volt Absorb
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Flying
    -Volt Switch / Focus Blast
    -Thunder / Focus Blast

This is the set I've seen the most of and the one I've had the most sucess with. Choice Specs Thundurus-T is brutal, scoring massive damage on anything that takes neutral or worse from Electric attacks. Thunderbolt is the star reliable STAB attack and is self explanitory. The choice of Hidden Power really comes down to personal preference; Hidden Power Ice grants you great coverage and super effective damage against enemy Thundurus-T and all the common Dragon-types while Hidden Power Flying gives you an alternative STAB. That extra STAB still hits most things for massive neutral damage and gives you a super effective hit against a few common Pokemon like Scrafty and Hitmontop. The last two slots are mainly for interesting options and utility since Thundurus-T's movepool is kind of skimpy. Volt Switch is great attack and allows you to get off some damage before switching to a Pokemon that can take an obvious attack aimed your way. Thunder is brutal against rain teams and is basically a requirement if you're using it in the rain. Focus Blast is the same move we've come to know and loathe from singles: great coverage but unreliable. I don't very highly recommend it with the increased pace of VGC matches. Other options to try include Discharge if you have a few Pokemon immune to Electric-type attacks on your team, Grass Knot if you want to dispose of Gastrodon easily and hit Tyranitar with a strong, 100% accurate attack, and Dark Pulse if you hate Cresselia enough for the small boost in damage.

[​IMG]
    Thundurus-T @ Yache Berry / Electric Gem / Sitrus Berry
    Modest / Timid
    Volt Absorb
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Grass Knot / Volt Switch / Focus Blast
    -Protect

You sacrifice raw power with this set for the ability to switch around attacks. All the items make decent choices. Yache Berry lets you live through an Ice attack, an Electric Gem allows you to get off a powerful Thunderbolt, and Sitrus Berry extends your longevity a little. The 3rd slot allows you to play with virtually any of the options used as filler on the Choice Specs set.

EV Spreads

Thundurus-T shares the same defenses with Thundurus-I meaning that some of your old EV spreads for Thundurus-I translate over well. Just make sure that you reinvest your EVs if you were going after something in the prankster speed tiers. 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed allows you maximum firepower which can be useful for the Choice Specs set. If you want to live the omnipresent Latios's Draco Meteor, you'll need pretty hefty investment. 172 HP / 252 SpDef or 252 HP / 204 SpDef with a Calm nature will allow you to brave the hit with at least 1 HP. If you want to make sure you can live a Jolly Terrakion's Life Orb boosted Rock Slide, you'll need a 20 HP / 180 Def spread with a neutral nature. There are other potential investments, but that's the most EV efficient one I've found.

Cool partners

[​IMG] + [​IMG]/[​IMG]
    Thundurus-T + Earthquake users
    This is self explanitory. Earthquake user and a flying type, so simple. Garchomp and Mamoswine get a particularly large shoutout here for being two of the best STAB Earthquake user we have around. The Electric immunity also brings up the opportunity to utilize Discharge, allowing Thundurus-T to form a cool Disquake core ala Zapdos.

[​IMG] + [​IMG]/[​IMG]/[​IMG]
    Thundurus-T + Fake Out users
    I might be cheating here since a Fake Out user + anything is really good. Thundurus-T is pretty solid around most of the rule set's most common Fake Out users. Thundurus-T and just about any Fighting-type Fake Out user have great offensive synergy together, hitting most targets for strong neutral or super effective damage without being too exposed to many common spread attacks. You can do some cool things with a Fake Out user with Thundurus-T. You can hit Cresselia for major damage before it starts running rampant with Icy Wind or Thunder Wave or Volt Switch out with Thundurus-T to get a strong hit in and a Pokemon better suited for what's out on your opponent's side. Hitmontop and Scrafty both offer you Intimidate which helps Thundurus-T against the dreaded Rock Slide and other attacks. Infernape is a much more offensive choice allowing you to have two wicked fast and brutal speed demons on the field.

[​IMG] + [​IMG]/[​IMG]/[​IMG]
    Thundurus-T + Steel-types
    Thundurus-T loathes opponents like Terrakion and Abomansow so it only makes sense to pair it with something that can take them out. Three of the most common Steel-types around, Metagross, Heatran, and Scizor, all love the company of Thundurus-T. Between the two of them, they share no weaknesses and aren't very exposed to many common spread attacks. In exchange for the oddly useful Steel STAB many of these Pokemon provide, Thundurus-T disposes of many troublesome bulky water types, a trait that Heatran and Metagross especially love.

[​IMG] + [​IMG]
    Thundurus-T + Rain
    This is where things get scary. One of the most important movepool changes of B2W2 was Drizzle + Helping Hand becoming legal together on Politoed. Normally you'll be super charging Surfs and Muddy Waters with it but... holy cow, Choice Specs Helping Hand boosted Thunders from Thundurus-T are insane. Most everything that doesn't resist it is being OHKOed or put in the red. Thundurus-T also lends Rain teams a valuable Electric immunity which can help rain's troublesome weakness to Discharge.

Troublesome opponents

Of course, Thundurus-T is far from unstoppable

[​IMG]/[​IMG]/[​IMG]
    Ice-types
    There are a select few Ice-types out there standing strong to protect the world from the troublesome genies and Dragon-types. Choice Scarf Abomasnow's Blizzard is going to put a major dent in Thundurus-T. Choice Scarf Cloyster's Icicle Spear is an OHKO through Intimidate. Mamoswine can outspeed with Ice Shard or go for a sure KO with Icicle Spear provided there are no Yache Berries around (and that it actually hits).

[​IMG]/[​IMG]
    Rock Slide users
    If Thundurus-T can't outspeed and one shot them, its going to turn into a painful experience. Terrakion and Choice Scarf Tyranitar both outrun Thundurus-T and hit him for big damage with Rock Slide. Normal Tyranitar is just about as good, although you're put at risk from the occasional Focus Blast.

------

So, what do you guys think of Thundurus-T?
  2. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Thank god someone posted this. I've been play testing Thundurus-T for April, and can't decide weather do do scarf, or other stuff. This is really helpful!
  3. tlyee61

tlyee61

great thread mantyke! I've been curious about spreads since most are just using 252 / 252
  4. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

I can imagine a Sub set working well with a Follow Me/Rage Powder user, possibly Tailwind also because Garchomp and Terrakion are common. If you want to be really gimmicky, run Prankster Riolu w/ Follow Me then rain, let it die, spam Thunder and profit.
  5. Shinryu

Shinryu

Perhaps a partner with Discharge to keep your Thundurus-T nicely healed up?
  6. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

I can't really think of anything that learns Discharge that has any sort of synergy with it besides washing machine/oven, which is shit on by Ttar. Especially since other Thundurus-T and Ground types will be common and you may not always have one of these out, I don't think Discharge is a very good move. Lightningrod Zapdos would be a better choice to attempt to abuse that with, but it's not out yet and likely won't be this season. If survivability is an issue, you can try to go for good prediction and switch into an enemy's electric attack.

EDIT;; Forgot about mixed Eel, P2, and maybe Klinklang if you're insane. It does outrun Mamo and resist both of Tar's STAB, but you need to be boosted to beat Terrakion.
  7. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Porygon2 would be a good partner to spam Discharge, especially with Analytic as it's slow enough to usually go last anyway.

Jolteon or Raichu could also work, if you don't mind their below-average defenses, as they have access to Volt Absorb and Lightningrod respectively. Jolteon and Raichu also have access to Helping Hand if desired, but their SpA is high enough you'd probably be better off just attacking outright.
  8. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

Thundurus-T is a fantastic Pokemon, a great addition in BW2. I find that Thundurus-I and T play very different from each other: Thundurus-I usually run more bulk nowaday and have access to priority Taunt, Thunder Wave, and Substitute; while Thundurus-T goes for complete offensive power. Something I've been testing with is Scarf Thundurus-T, to alleviate its speed issue, and base 145 special attack makes for a great Scarfer.

Also, to people suggesting Discharge users, Rotom forms amazing synergy with Thundurus-T.
  9. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

Back in, what was it... '11 and early '12 (pre B2/W2), I ran my Thundurus I like your first Thundurus T set up there. After all kinds of testing, it just barely didn't have the SAtk necessary to justify neutering its otherwise useful ability with Specs. Now that its ability isn't an issue, and it has those extra few points needed to 1HKO many things, Specs has been the most useful set for me.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)