OU Thundurus

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So is Freeze Shock, but some people use it anyway.
the reason some people run freeze shock is that, unlike Fly, it still has a respectable base power, making the Power Herb set for Kyurem B slightly viable, unlike the move Fly which, even with power herb, it is kinda terrible. Also, people who run Freeze Shock will always run Ice Beam as a backup for when the power herb has been used up, but Thundurus has no backup Flying-type STAB aside from Hidden Power Flying to use after the Power Herb is gone.
Besides, Thundurus doesn't need a Flying-type STAB move in the first place, making Fly obsolete anyway.

Edit: it gets the pitifully weak Sky Drop too, but that is no worthy backup move anyway.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
to add to my last point, it seems that there is a lack of any mentions to Volt Switch on this analysis on the main sets. This is an issue that must be addressed immediately as it is better than U-Turn on any special set due to it being special and STAB, and the fact is that is has always been a staple on Thundurus. Make sure to list it. Also, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf are very good items for Thundurus I and should not be in in OO. Stop trying to come up with these fancy sets and start adding things that always have been (and always will be) staples on any Thundurus.

I appologise if it feels like I'm nagging a bit, its just that there are so many things that this analysis seems to be missing.

to add to my last point, it seems that there is a lack of any mentions to Volt Switch on this analysis on the main sets. This is an issue that must be addressed immediately as it is better than U-Turn on any special set due to it being special and STAB, and the fact is that is has always been a staple on Thundurus. Make sure to list it. Also, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf are very good items for Thundurus I and should not be in in OO. Stop trying to come up with these fancy sets and start adding things that always have been (and always will be) staples on any Thundurus.

I appologise if it feels like I'm nagging a bit, its just that there are so many things that this analysis seems to be missing.
You seem to be speaking of past sets from past generations like they're still effective now.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HP Flying is for luring Mega-Venusaur, who walls you otherwise.
Pretty much.
What I'm confused about is why Hidden Power Flying and Fly are on any of the sets. Hidden Power Flying has no use dispite STAB due to its low base power, and Fly (lol) is competitively useless, and Thundurus doesn't need a Flying-type STAB anyway, making these moves pointless in the first place.
You should read the QC statement on those things before questioning them entirely, since Jukain pretty much explained their uses pretty well a few posts before. It should also be noted that Flying-type is a perfectly acceptable alternative given less specific, but more widespread coverage, in addition to being able to hit Conkeldurr and Venusaur.
Also, based around SmashBrosBrawl's point, shouldn't Hammer Arm be dashed with Superpower on the mixed and Defiant sets as it doesn't get weaker over time (especially seeing as it is stronger by the second use). But make sure Superpower is first in the dash list.
No. Hammer Arm's Speed drop has significantly more drastic consequences then Superpower's own stat drops in that Thundurus-T needs the initial power and won't be relying/spamming physical Fighting-type attacks much. The Speed drop also lowers your momentum, since you could be KO'ing that last few HP off the Latios or Garchomp that switches in, but NO, you're slow. I don't care about dealing 200 damage in two turns when I could be KO'ing that Tyranitar immediately.

76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 322-380 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 380-452 (94 - 111.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 216-255 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
76 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 257-304 (66.5 - 78.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

tl;dr Hammer Arm is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
volt switch is not happening. hitting grounds (+ the latis) is way more important than whatever little power you get.

All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. AccidentalGreed, if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

Honestly I think the Bulk Up set is an incredible lure and should be above the mixed attacker. The 4 HP EVs should also be moved to defense on that set to minimize SR damage. Also this is very petty, but the title should be just Thundurus as it is the innate form therefore it shouldn't need the extra "I" added to it. The same was done for the Landorus thread.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
okay so we had a discussion on irc the other day and

- remove bulk up. it's just bad -- poor coverage, not strong enough, and plagued by priority...it generally can't sweep.
- move physical up to set 3. it's a very very good option in this meta as a defiant user, and is just an awesome set overall. last slot should be hp ice / u-turn / fly, and power herb should be slashed so that fly can actually function as an effective lure.

also, just my opinion but: slash or at least 'moves' mention twave on np. np is a great sweeper, but it can really suck to lose that prankster twave. boasting the ability to sweep and that sexy prankster twave, it makes for a great multi-purpose set.

AccidentalGreed

Huh, that's odd. I could have sworn I already mentioned/slashed it.

Alrighty, and i'm happy to make the rest of the changes, too.

Jukain

!_!
Okay so we have talked on IRC and Psychic > HP Flying. The coverage from HP Ice is really too useful to drop, and Psychic still achieves the same coverage you needed HP Flying to achieve with the same power, and has the odd chance for a SDef drop that can be nice. Mostly it's the loss in coverage. Psychic should be slashed in slot 4.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Do you mean for the nasty plot set? Focus Blast is rly important for Excadrill, Ttar and Ferrothorn though..

I mean, Tbolt / Focus Blast is legit and if youre running that an d want something for venu youre better off using Hp flying > Psychic because it can take out some rare Grass types like Celebi and Tangrowth better.

AccidentalGreed

Alright, I finished writing this thing up, after a long time. Ready for feedback and two more QC checks!

(PS If it's okay, I'd like to slash Grass Knot in the last slot of the Mixed set, since Quagsire and Hippowdon are stupidly common and effective against it, and results have told me that it's fairly easy to lure them in and use it)

Last edited:
Alright, I finished writing this thing up, after a long time. Ready for feedback and two more QC checks!
IMO, Thundurus's access to Prankster TWave should get a special mention in the overview. It's honestly one of the best things about Thundy-I, and I think its a major factor to why he saw so much usage in SPL.

AccidentalGreed

IMO, Thundurus's access to Prankster TWave should get a special mention in the overview. It's honestly one of the best things about Thundy-I, and I think its a major factor to why he saw so much usage in SPL.
Mentioned Prankster Thunder Wave and Taunt together in the overview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)