Tick Tick BOOM- Doubles WarStory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Smogon, and welcome to my war story. This is a war story that retells a great battle i had vs. a person on Skarmbliss' VGC server. As VGC is going to be in November and in April, i decided to post this here. So sit back, relax, and ENJOY.

My Team

Opponent's Team

Battle between [Drac]Draco123 and tomfoolery started!

Tier: VGC 2012
Mode: Doubles
Variation: +24, -8
Rule: Rated
Rule: Item Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

As you can see by the amount of points i get on the ladder, this wasn't some n00b. This was someone who knew what he/she was doing. So, i have to play smart.

tomfoolery sent out Kojondo! (Mienshao)
[Drac]Draco123 sent out Latios!
tomfoolery sent out Kirikizan! (Bisharp)
[Drac]Draco123 sent out Metagross!

VS

Ok, this is a somewhat bad position for me. He uses a pokemon that gets 125 base attack Sucker Punch, and my Latios has HP ground, but i don't like the idea of a Sucker Punch hitting him in the face. Mienshao is also annoying because of Fake Out. So, to save my pokes from the opening turn damage, i just play it safe and use Protect on them both.

Start of turn 1
Latios used Protect!
Latios protected itself!

Metagross used Protect!
Metagross protected itself!

The foe's Kojondo used Fake Out!
Metagross protected itself!

The foe's Kirikizan used Substitute!
The foe's Kirikizan made a substitute!

- 100%
- 100%

- 100%
- 75%

CRAP, didn't want that to happen. I save Metagross from the fake out, but now the Bisharp has a Sub up. No need to keep Latios on the field, switch him out for Infernape who can threaten the Bisharp, since he resists both STABs, and can outspeed/kill the Mienshao. Also, i save Latios from a horrible Sucker Punch.

Start of turn 2
[Drac]Draco123 called Latios back!
[Drac]Draco123 sent out Infernape!

tomfoolery called Kojondo back!
tomfoolery sent out Burungeru! (Jellicent)

The foe's Kirikizan used Sucker Punch!
But it failed!

Metagross used Meteor Mash!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Burungeru lost 29% of its health!
Metagross's Attack rose!

- 100%
- 100%

- 71%
- 75%

Mixed feeling after this round. I save Latios from getting owned, but now he has a Jelli, which walls both pokemon on the field. That, and the Bisharp still has a Sub. However, i have Sash Ape so I’ll stay in and break the sub. But Meta is useless now, so may as well switch him out for Zapdos. Electric moves to hit Jelli, and he can hit Bisharp as well thanks to Heat Wave.

Start of turn 3
[Drac]Draco123 called Metagross back!
[Drac]Draco123 sent out Zapdos!

Zapdos is exerting its Pressure!
The foe's Kirikizan used Protect!
The foe's Kirikizan protected itself!

Infernape used Close Combat!

The foe's Burungeru used Will-O-Wisp!
Zapdos was burned!

Zapdos is hurt by its burn!

- 100%
- 87%

- 71%
- 75%

Ok, more mixed feeling about this round. Zapdos came in safely, but he came into a Will-O-Wisp, saving Metagross from a Burn. But now Zapdos get residual damage every turn. Now, figuring he would predict me to attack Jellicent, i decide to just set up the Tailwind with Zapdos, which doubles my speed for 3 turns. Hopefully this works and the Bisharp Sub can go away.

Start of turn 4
tomfoolery called Burungeru back!
tomfoolery sent out Kojondo! (Mienshao)

But it failed!

It's super effective!
The foe's Kirikizan's substitute faded!
Infernape's Defense fell!
Infernape's Sp. Def. fell!

Zapdos used Tailwind!
A tailwind started blowing behind [Drac]Draco123's team!

- 100%
- 74%

- 100%
- 75%

Awesome, this works out great for me. He sends out Meinshao, which is frail as crap and can be KOd by any of my pokemon STAB attacks. That and the Bisharp sub is gone, meaning I can go straight for the KO next turn. However, he can Fake Out a pokemon, but question is, which one? I decide to just use Heat Wave with Zapdos, which makes him hit both while getting the KO on Bisharp (unless Occa Berry) and good damage on the Meinshao, while Ape uses CC. This way, even if he fakes one out, i can get the KO on Bisharp at least.

Start of turn 5

Zapdos used Heat Wave!
The foe's Kojondo lost 57% of its health!

The foe's Kojondo used Rock Slide!
Infernape lost 68 HP! (45% of its health)
It's super effective!
Zapdos lost 72 HP! (39% of its health)
Zapdos ate its Sitrus Berry!
Zapdos restored some HP!

- 55%
- 74%

- 43%
- 75%

Ok, really odd turn here. Instead of using Fake Out like I predicted, he decides to use Rock Slide on Meinshao, dealing good damage to both pokemon, but thanks to Zapdos Sitrus Berry, It'll be around for a while. But the Bisharp used Protect, sparing it from dying just yet. However, i have Tailwind, and my opponent knows this as well. At first, i wanted to just attack straight up, but realizing that Jelli can come in and eat a Close Combat, then probably stall out Tailwind with Protect, i decided against it. I decided to T-Bolt the Bisharp and Close Combat the Meinshao. If he stays in, they both die anyways. But if he switches, i can take out Jellicent, which walls all of my team, spare Zapdos and Latios, which are both scared of Bisharp. I was just hoping this works.

Start of turn 6
tomfoolery called Kirikizan back!
tomfoolery sent out Burungeru! (Jellicent)

The foe's Kojondo lost 42% of its health!
The foe's Kojondo fainted!
Infernape's Defense fell!
Infernape's Sp. Def. fell!

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
The foe's Burungeru lost 70% of its health!
The foe's Burungeru fainted!
The foe's Burungeru's Cursed Body activates!
Zapdos's Thunderbolt was disabled!

tomfoolery sent out Borutorosu! (Thundurus)

tomfoolery sent out Kirikizan! (Bisharp)

- 55%
- 61%

- 0%
- 0%

- 75%
- 100%

YES!!! Epic Prediction is epic. I turned a close 4-4 to a 4-2 battle in my favor. However, just because the score is in my advantage, doesn’t mean that the battle is over. His Bisharp is still a threat in my eyes, seeing as he KO's Infernape now thanks to -2 Def, Zapdos thanks to burn and Latios because it's super effective. And the Thundurus outspeeds my entire team w/o Tailwind support. So, i decide to just attack here, and not try and scout what he may do.

Start of turn 7

The foe's Borutorosu used Substitute!
The foe's Borutorosu made a substitute!

Infernape used Fire Blast!

Zapdos used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Borutorosu's substitute faded!

[Drac]Draco123's team tailwind petered out!

- 55%
- 48%

- 75%
- 75%

Ok, nothing going on here. He stalled out my Tailwind with Protect on Bisharp and Sub on Thundurus. Now, it's a turn of decision. I need to get up another Tailwind to help me outspeed his team. He might use Sucker Punch on it anyways, which opens up a hole for me to kill Bisharp. No wait, Thundurus is there, can outspeed and kill me off. So, i just play it safe, Protect on Ape, Tailwind on Zapdos.

Start of turn 8
Infernape used Protect!
Infernape protected itself!

The foe's Borutorosu used Hidden Power!
Infernape protected itself!

Zapdos used Tailwind!
A tailwind started blowing behind [Drac]Draco123's team!

The foe's Kirikizan used Substitute!
The foe's Kirikizan made a substitute!

- 55%
- 35%

- 50%
- 75%

Ok, again with the Subbing Bisharp. Now he's #1 on the black man's list. But at least i saved ape for another attack, and i have Tailwind. All seems well, so I decide to just Fire Blast the Thundurus, and Heat Wave Zapdos, Breaking the Sub on Bisharp while dealing damage to Thundurus as well.

Start of turn 9
The foe's Borutorosu used Substitute!
The foe's Borutorosu made a substitute!

Infernape lost 83 HP! (54% of its health)
Infernape fainted!
The foe's Kirikizan is hurt by its Life Orb!

Zapdos used Heat Wave!
The foe's Borutorosu's substitute faded!
It's super effective!
The foe's Kirikizan's substitute faded!

[Drac]Draco123 sent out Metagross!

- 0%
- 22%

- 100%
- 22%

- 40%
- 50%

Crap, There goes Infernape. I thought he would aim for Zappy, but again he shocks me and aims for Ape. Which is good actually, as Zappy can now use Heat Wave and break both subs. Now, I'll send out Metagross, and here's where the fun beings :P

Start of turn 10
The foe's Borutorosu used Protect!
The foe's Borutorosu protected itself!

Zapdos used Heat Wave!

Metagross used Meteor Mash!

Zapdos fainted!
[Drac]Draco123 sent out Latios!

- 100%
- 0%

- 100%
- 100%

- 40%
- 50%

whoops, looks like zappy had less HP after all. Sorry about the HP error on Zapdos, I'll make sure to keep it better next time.

So yeah, nothing much here. Dual Protect kills off Zappy, bringing out Latios. Now, again, Bisharp isn't my friend right now. Sucker Punch will easily KO, especially w/ LO and STAB. and Thundurus isn't helping much either, being faster than Latios. But i have a plan. Since he dual Protect last turn, there wasn't a big chance he would go for it twice. Especially since what I'm about to do isn't common on Metagross. Or in 5th gen in general. But hey, i see a way for me to win, i just hope it works out for me. So, I click on the button. I wait for him to make his move. I'm so nervous right now, i think I'm at regionals at VGC, with everyone looking at me, ready to cheer the winner. And when my opponent makes his move, all hell breaks loose. Ladies and Gentlemen, fasten your seat belts. This will be LOUD.

Start of turn 11
Latios used Protect!
Latios protected itself!

Latios protected itself!

Metagross used Explosion!
Metagross fainted!
Latios protected itself!
Metagross's Normal Gem raised Explosion's power!
The foe's Borutorosu lost 50% of its health!
The foe's Borutorosu fainted!
A critical hit!
The foe's Kirikizan lost 41% of its health!
The foe's Kirikizan fainted!

[Drac]Draco123 won the battle!
[Drac]Draco123: GG, that was fun[/SPOILER]

And there you have it, that a GG. 11 turns is a long time with doubles, and i enjoyed every second of it. Though i was in charge for most of the match, there was times where i felt uncomfortable. However, by thinking my plan through, i was able to win.

Props:
-My opponent for being a good sport and good opponent
-Metagross, for the perfectly timed explosion
-Zapdos, for being a constant offensive threat and helping to set up 2 Tailwinds, the last one helping Meta to outspeed and use the explosion to great effect
-Both players, for good decisions and prediction on both sides

Slops:
-Not seeing the Sub on Bisharp the second time around
-My Opponent, for not taking out Zapdos when he had the chance, instead going for Ape, which cost him the match.

And the MVP of the match is:

He Helped setting up both Tailwinds, and even with the burn, stayed alive long enough to put offensive pressure on his team, while supporting mine. Metagross was able to outspeed my opponent's team thanks to Tailwind, and he helped to break both subs on turn 9, making him, by far, the MVP of the match.

SO, thats my war story for today. If i get another good battle on VGC server, i'll post it here, as always. However, most are either VERY haxy or just plain dull, unlike tis battle, which had skill and prediction on showcase today. I hope this Story helps people with their VGC teams, and in doubles in General. Thats all for now, See you guys later :P

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually really enjoyed this battle, I thought you explained you decisions clearly and effectively, and although the comments were a bit obvious at times they were still quite good. THe formatting was excellent with the gif being aweseom and I thought that the battle was a nice read for someone who doesn't play doubles.

well that certainly wasn't bad, and I don't really know much about VGC so it was a cool introduction for me to see this. Finally, that Normal Gem boosted explosion was genius. NO ONE expects that these days, and it was clear you caught your opponent by surprise with it.

I liked it, not the best warstory I've ever read but far from the worst.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Good warstory, I can tell you have skill in battling and it was fun to read the log. The comments were only par, but you definitely have a great foundation to build on in the future.

well that certainly wasn't bad, and I don't really know much about VGC so it was a cool introduction for me to see this. Finally, that Normal Gem boosted explosion was genius. NO ONE expects that these days, and it was clear you caught your opponent by surprise with it.

I liked it, not the best warstory I've ever read but far from the worst.
thanks, i'll try an improve next time so you can enjoy reading it

Good warstory, I can tell you have skill in battling and it was fun to read the log. The comments were only par, but you definitely have a great foundation to build on in the future.
thanks for the compliment, i'll try and improve the comments next time

Cool log.
Short AND sweet.
i know, it was a good battle indeed, and the comments were a bit short, may extend it a little next time

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Great warstory! It's great to see some VGC stories up in here. Fantastic move with Metagross at the end, yet it was still a close battle. Kudos!

Hm, wasn't the best warstory; I think the main problem I have is that you missed out one of the most important parts - choosing which four Pokémon to use. You haven't even mentioned what the other two are! VGC teams consist of 6 Pokémon, and battles can be won or lost based on which four you choose and which you choose to lead with. I'd have liked to have seen all six from both sides protrayed at the start and your reasons for why you went with these four (and those two leads) as opposed to which four you predicted your opponent to bring.

Other than that, a decent battle, though you did seem to have the upper hand throughout. Running both substitute and protect on two of his Pokémon seems kind of odd. And I'm not really a fan of double protecting to scout fake out - sure you save yourself some damage, but you leave your opponent totally free to set up, as indeed he did do here.

^ yea, thanks for the feedback, i'll edit the team in later tonight

and it was odd, but i guess it ALMOST worked

and i do that because in that situation, i was expecting a sucker punch from bisharp and a fake out to metagross, so i double protected.

So, to save my pokes from the opening turn damage, i just play it safe and use Protect on them both.
thats why i used double protect

is that you missed out one of the most important parts - choosing which four Pokémon to use. You haven't even mentioned what the other two are! VGC teams consist of 6 Pokémon, and battles can be won or lost based on which four you choose and which you choose to lead with. I'd have liked to have seen all six from both sides protrayed at the start and your reasons for why you went with these four (and those two leads) as opposed to which four you predicted your opponent to bring.
I'm seconding this.

Also I didn't even really find the battle that enjoyable, I suppose for what it was ( A short vgc match ) it was somewhat entertaining to read but honestly your commentary ruined it for me I stopped reading it for the last half.

Formatting was aesthetically pleasing however so good job on putting the effort in there.

ok, i'll improve the commentary next time around

and VGC is 4x4 doubles, 11 turns is a VERY long battle in truth, most are 5-8 turns long

and thanks, it took me a while on the formatting

Great warstory man, that Metagross Explosion at the end was really nice. Well played, and your commentary was great.

This was really nice, well formatted despite the difficulties Doubles can present, and both sides played solidly and smartly. Also, beautiful Zapdos art at the end. :D

My only gripe is the yellow and light green text which made me highlight once or twice in order to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)