Tier names

i have no problem with the current nomenclature, with the exception of BL since it kind of obfuscates the intention. what about UUbers? that sounds kind of cute. but on another note, introducing new tiers between the current ones seems like it would belabour an already very encompassing series of metagames to the point where it would just be silly.

are we supposed to introduce a new tier between NU and the tier above it every generation just so every pokemon is viable in a certain metagame? perhaps i'm being inconsiderate, but really, if beedrill isn't the NU powerhouse he used to be, i think it's time to suck it up and use a different mon, not create another tier to encompass all those "broken in NU" mons that have oh so rudely usurped the buzzing brute's throne.

I do like how we specify the fact that we are basing the tiers off of usage stats just by using the names OU, UU, and NU. Saying a Pokemon is higher tier with concrete numbers involved in the name than generally (maybe just to me..) implies it has greater power, which may be true, however it isn't always accurate.

I mostly agree with the people that don't think it's necessary.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't have much to say on the matter (I think the current tiering system is fine) but I do want to address a certain post made.

are we supposed to introduce a new tier between NU and the tier above it every generation just so every pokemon is viable in a certain metagame? perhaps i'm being inconsiderate, but really, if beedrill isn't the NU powerhouse he used to be, i think it's time to suck it up and use a different mon, not create another tier to encompass all those "broken in NU" mons that have oh so rudely usurped the buzzing brute's throne.
I could not agree more with you. I've seen people wanting to create new tiers in-between UN & NU, usually called "RU" or RarelyUsed. Not only is it completely, pointless the creation of a new tier may end up cutting the NU userbase in half which could make the metagame even less popular.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd say the matter isn't having a competitive tier for every single pokémon, it's that people believe it's clear we'll have at least other two perfectly competitive and popular tiers (as NU already had a - rather small but come on it wasn't even official - userbase and its tierlist comprised of "shit" like Regice, Tauros and huh Magcargo, I guess) so, instead of having NeverUsed below UnderUsed and another tier right below with an awkward name (...NullUsed? lol NU), we put a RarelyUsed or whatever above it and then call the bottom tier NeverUsed. If, say, we create RU and still believe there could be yet two other playable and "popular" metagames below it, then the same logic would apply (...BarelyUsed?); otherwise, we stick with NU only.

The main "problem" here would be the names, so I guess letting NU be the next tier for tradition and naming anything below it "Tier X", Tier X+1" or starting with "Tier -1" and going down from there would be a more sensible option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)