1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Tier Shift Metagame (THIS IS BW)

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by PureQuestion, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngjake93

youngjake93

I know Superpower breaks Ferrothorn, but you could get Power Whipped and Crawdaunt hates the stat drops. Plus a wall breaker should be able to switch in, so between Leech Seed, Leftovers, Iron Barbs, Protect, etc, Crawdaunt doesn't like Ferro.
    Whiscash can also KO Ferro with enough DD boosts using EQ, but neither is really an answer to Ferro.
    I've used Sap Sipper SD Sawsbuck in conjuction with Whiscash/Crawdaunt though. It is a pretty good partner wallbreaker and you don't have to leave those mons in a risky situation midgame.
  2. Gerard

Gerard

Does anyone wants to try some weatherless teams, Idk I'm getting kind of bored of seing so many sand and sun teams around that I want to know what kind of teams would thrive in the absence of weather
  3. Ninechu

Ninechu

Hariyama anyone? 130 base atk, 154 hp and 75 defenses.
  4. Qwilphish

Qwilphish Spiritual
    is a Pre-Contributor

All I really play is weatherless, so I can say that it is definitely just as viable as weather. It is definitely harder to build a good weatherless team as opposed to a good weather team.

Choice Scarf Gardevoir is perhaps the best Pokemon on weatherless atm with Trace allowing it to outspeed and OHKO all of the "Speed-Doublers" but almost any Pokemon is viable in weatherless unless they are completely weather-reliant like Toxicroak or Sawsbuck.
  5. Level 51

Level 51 getting worse at mons day by day
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

I thought I'd better advertise here: anyone who is good at this metagame (not just average - good), and free in July, could you please drop a note on my profile? Thanks!
  6. Heroes and Cons

Heroes and Cons

I've been having fun with a rain team; most notably, sweeping entire unprepared teams with Galvantula and (oddly enough) Moltres, and walling setup sweeprs with Quagsire.

Galvantula now has base 107 special attack and base 118 speed. Combine that with Thunder (which is now 91% accurate in neutral weather and never misses in Rain) and Bug Buzz, plup Giga Drain and HP Ice to kill threats like Gligar / Gliscor and Swampert / Seismitoad, and backed by a life orb it can really cause havok.

Moltres might be hindered STAB-wise by rain, but his new 100/100/95 defenses mean he can take most neutral and resisted hits fantastically in this meta. Furthermore he now has base 135 Special Attack and base 100 Speed (identical to Volcarona), and great dual stabs in Fire Blast and Hurricane. Fire Blast will hit almost anything Hurricane (or Air Slash outside Rain) doesn't remarkably well, even in rain, while HP Grass / Water / Fighting ravages the rock types that resist the combination.

Quagsire now has 105 / 95 / 75 defenses, which combined with its great typing, Recover, Stockpile and Unaware can pretty much stop any setup sweepers (especially physical ones) that aren't grass type, including massive threats with improved stats such as Bulk Up / Swords Dance Gallade and Dragon Dance Kingdra. It also has base 95 attack which means it can't be completely shut down by Taunt, especially with its awesome STAB moves in EQ and rain-boosted waterfall.
  7. gaddster03

gaddster03

I'm very new to pokemon and would like to compete here and in general ou.

I could really appreciate some help with the team i have been using as i feel it is probably very bad.

It's centered around sand stall btw

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off
    - Whirlwind
    - Earthquake

Cradily @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Protect
    - Energy Ball

Audino @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Protect

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 126 Def / 130 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave
    - Protect

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Reversal
    - Sucker Punch
    - Aerial Ace
  8. gaddster03

gaddster03

should be recover on cradily btw
  9. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

It's a decent team IMO, actually. Though I rarely see Dugtrio on anything that isn't Sun, sand really doesn't need much weather trappers anyway as Hippowdon does its job quite well. Maybe, replace Dugtrio with Alakazam ? Good poke on Sand Stall, Magic Guard + Sash and better offensive firepower than Dugtrio. Even Cradily and Hippowdon have better attack than it.
  10. hanatans

hanatans

Golurk is scary in this, with 104/139/95/70/95/70 stats. Seismitoad is also pretty solid, with 120/100/90/100/90/89 stats.
    Cacturne makes for a surprisingly good revenge killer with a Choice Scarf.

Also, do the Pokemon in NFE get a boost?
  11. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

Yes, if they're not listed in a specific tier it means they are NU and get +15. Some NFE are ranked in higher tiers tho.
  12. youngjake93

youngjake93

13. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

Both games are vs me lol. I'm not playing very good in TS lately :(. Terrible mistake on my part when I switched out Tornadus, I should have Tailwinded and cause mayhem with Moltres, you outplayed me that game. The other game was different lol, had a crucial stone miss and was playing with a team that I was testing and has been disapproved haha.
  14. vyomov

vyomov

What about LC mons though? I think a +25 boost for LC is quite decent and not broken imho.
  15. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

Let's keep it as it is lol. There are a lot of pokes to play around as it is and it's already a hard labour to make your team be bulletproof vs all threats in this meta.

The Tier is fun as it is, there's no need for LC and Uber inclusion imo.
  16. Super Mario Bro

Super Mario Bro All we ever look for

Why can't we just have a separate TS Ubers metagame? It wouldn't affect the main TS OU metagame at all.

I'd also love a Clear Skies TS, but people don't seem to like Clear Skies for some reason.
  17. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

Problem is that the player base is not large enough to justify more than 1 tier, but that's my opinion. It's hard to get a TS game at some times, splitting it up in tiers will make it even harder.
  18. PureQuestion

PureQuestion

I want TS ubers but lack of players is the very reason I'm not yet looking to make it.
  19. Super Mario Bro

Can we at least look into testing Pokes that are currently Uber then? I see no reason why TS needs to be joined at OU's hip in terms of the ban list, considering the metagames are entirely different from one another. There are at least 5 Uber Pokes that deserve a shot in this meta.
  20. PureQuestion

PureQuestion

It makes the rules more complicated.
    I would prefer to avoid this. One of the best things about Tier Shift, in my opinion, is how easily summarized the rules are.
    Mr Omgness likes this.
  21. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor to Smogon

I've just gotten back into Tier shift this past coming week and I decided to build a rain team. So far, it's pretty good, and it features cool Pokemon such as DD Whiscash and LO Galvantula. Problem is, I've having a bit of a problem deciding on my Galvantula's moveset. As of now, I've been running Thunder / Volt Switch / HP Ice / Bug Buzz. I like Volt Switch because it's nice to gain momentum, but the only problem I have is that I don't have a spinner (only Pokemon weak to SR on my team is Galvantula, everything else resists it) so I can't really afford to switch in and out too often. Do you think I should just run Giga Drain over Volt Switch for maximum coverage, or is Giga Drain even worth the extra moveslot? I mean, it hits stuff like Seismitoed and Whiscash whilst gaining back some recovery, but do you think it's worth the loss of Volt Switch? The loss in momentum can sometimes cost me the game, and it's nice because I can safely switch in Whiscash on the incoming Jirachi or something. Is there anything VERY important that Galvantula misses out on? I'd like to keep HP Ice, because fuck Landorus-T, Garchomp and Gliscor.

Also one more question; +Spe or +SpA on Galvantula? Anything in particular I outrun with a +Spe nature? Tornadus-I and Swanna are the only two that come to mind immediately. Do I miss out on any crucial KOs without a +SpA nature?
  22. UberNinjaNerd

UberNinjaNerd

You guys are forgetting the big picture. Shuckle. +15 to Shuckle stats? Terrifying.
  23. Super Mario Bro

It still can't do anything.
  24. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Yeah. Shuckle can still be taunted. It may have slightly more bulk with 35/245/245 as opposed to 20/230/230 but remember, every pokemon got the boost. Shuckle is still meh compared to most. And that 35 HP? Same as Pikachu, meaning it still sucks.
  25. Houndoomsday

Houndoomsday

Even though everything got the boost, Shuckle's bulk nearly doubled. Yes it still is shitty but the annoyance factor rose by quite a bit!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)