Tier Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made this unoffical list from things i have seen or just noticed while playing. Tell me if you have some ideas to add to this list. Sorry for my bad english :P! Enjoy!
Threat List TS

Rampardos
112/180/75/80/65/73
This thing is really a beast with a choice scarf and its nice movepool: EQ, Head Smash, Crunch, Brick Break, Fire Punch, Iron Head and even Surf :D!Really watch this thing can clean the match late game or even destroy your pokes at the start. He might even take a hit with his new improved defensive stats.

Kyurem
135/140/100/140/100/105
All Hail The King Kyurem! But for real, Kyurem got an amazing boost from TS. 140 in both attacks so he can be one of the best mixed attackers in the meta with moves like: Ice Beam, Outrage, Iron Head, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, Flash Cannon and much more! But wait, That's not all! Kyurem gets a very solid 135 HP with 100 in both defensive stats. That thing can take a hit!

Haxorus
81/152/95/65/75/102
If this thing gets a Dragon Dance up, I don't want to be on the other side...

Omastar
85/75/140/130/85/70
Get this pokemon in the rain and the rest is history...
Also a very solid defensive pokemon, but x4 weakness to grass...

Venomoth
75/70/65/95/80/95
Freaking QD and BP that leads to GG...

Marowak
75/95/125/65/95/60
Those stats dosen't look like much huh? Add the item "Thick Club" and Bam! You have 190 attack stat.

Zangoose
88/130/75/75/75/105
Toxic Boost + STAB Facade + 130 Att?
This is Sparta my friend..

Kingler
70/145/130/75/75/90
Scarf + Crabhammer= Awesome!
Scarf + Crabhammer + Rain= Awesomer!
you may want to add heracross, weezing, politoed, seismetoad, and a few others. Include other defensive threats like tangrowth.

ninjask @ Focus Sash
Ability: N/A (either one works... take your pick)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Abdamant nature (+atk -spa)
-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor
-Night Slash
-Return
Tier: NU
base stats: (76/105/60/65/65/175)

umm... ouch. (swords dance - hung on with focus sash - sweeps team)

+2 252+ Atk Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 414-487 (57.9 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

...and I made blissey UU (hp can't change)

ninjask @ Focus Sash
Ability: N/A (either one works... take your pick)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Abdamant nature (+atk -spa)
-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor
-Night Slash
-Return
Tier: NU
base stats: (76/105/60/65/65/175)

umm... ouch. (swords dance - hung on with focus sash - sweeps team)

+2 252+ Atk Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 414-487 (57.9 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

...and I made blissey UU (hp can't change)
ninjask's problem is lack of coverage and is very priority weak. Also, requiring setup to do good damage to anything isn't really that great. Stick to scolipede.

I just want to highlight another offensive threat I've used, and that is Heliolisk. Its current stats stand at 72/65/62/119/104/119 which allow it to take Brave Bird from Talonflame (and probably other threats I have yet to face) and KO back with Volt Switch. With rain support it can run Thunder as well which when supported by Choice Specs allows it to hit resisted mons decently hard. Along with this it can run boosted surfs to break down Rhyperiors and other ground types that may try to predict a volt switch or thunder. With Dry Skin it restores health every turn, making it harder to break on the special side. All in all, Heliolisk is a surprisingly durable rain sweeper and I feel more attention should be paid to him.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-128597281 Here's a replay where he does put in some work.

Speaking of rodents, Linoone is still just as capable of destroying things as ever, especially with a now not-terrible 85 base attack, as well as 115 base speed so it can outrun a few things without E-speed. Still can't take hits, but with a +6 STAB E-speed, who needs bulk?

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My favorite Pokemon to use in this tier is:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Its stats get polished a lot, giving it nice stats of: 101|100|139|100|87|118. Especially its new speed is extremely helpful letting it switch out with Volt Switch in a pinch and 100 base attack hits surprisingly hard as we already noticed with Virizion. Stealth Rock is a great move and it can set it up repetitively in a match even without priority as it's just incredibly hard to wear down. It's typing checks a lot of threats (especially normal types) and most importantly CC'less Zangoose. Justified also got fairly easy to activate and it's just really fun to use. If you ever search a balanced mon that has SR and is good for momentum, give this a try for sure!

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
this my friends, is how to beat tier shift stall:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-129689546
also alomoala may be the most broken thing ever
Your opponent's team is awful; it gets 6-0'd by Calm Mind Reuniclus/Sigilyph...

In my view, though, the best counter to stall is Gothitelle. She single-handedly shuts down practically every defensive Poke, save for Sableye, Spiritomb, and other Darks. I like Goth a lot in this particular meta because, unlike in OU, certain bulky Pokes are so good (like Alomomola, as you mentioned) that they find their way on to balanced or offense-leaning teams; as a result, she is rarely ever dead.

But yeah, if you want to consistently do well in this meta, it's important to have a way to break through defensive strategies, especially Regen spam, whether it is through sheer strength or with a designated stall-breaker.

Last edited:
Your opponent's team is awful; it gets 6-0'd by Calm Mind Reuniclus/Sigilyph...

In my view, though, the best counter to stall is Gothitelle. She single-handedly shuts down practically every defensive Poke, save for Sableye, Spiritomb, and other Darks. I like Goth a lot in this particular meta because, unlike in OU, certain bulky Pokes are so good (like Alomomola, as you mentioned) that they find their way on to balanced or offense-leaning teams; as a result, she is rarely ever dead.

But yeah, if you want to consistently do well in this meta, it's important to have a way to break through defensive strategies, especially Regen spam, whether it is through sheer strength or with a designated stall-breaker.
hmm I can agree with that. I definitely know I could've played that match better. I probably should have sent out my SR golurk first, but was worried about toxic spikes more. My big misplay however is the fact that I allowed abomasnow to get burned. Had I simply sacked something instead, I could have pretty easily handled that team with it as my abomasnow is mixed, carrying earthquake and ice shard.

your opponent was obviously a bad player. Seriously, who even uses earth power on krookodile? Also, verizion is kind of "meh". While base 138 sp def and base 118 speed are impressive, base 83 defense is not. In a meta like this, any decent physical attacker or fletchinder/talonflame can anilate verizion. Scarfers or just mons that outspeed can easily end a verizion sweep(cough cough scarf rampardos).

But ofc there is the issue about what should we do with banned Megastone in case we drop ubers.
It's easy. The Mega-Pokemon Mevoling from the Mega stone get thier stats reducted like normal Uber Pokemon. So Kangaskhan would get +something in it's stats, while Mega-Kangaskhan would get -15 in it's stats (Bar HP, because Megas dosen't change their hitpoints.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I'm wondering how trick room fares in this meta

I find it to be one of the best strategies across every single tier, ou included.

However, many trick room abusers are from lower tiers (only mmawile and crawdaunt are not, and they are not even as neccesary with the huge boosts that lower tier threats got to their offenses)

They all hate the speed boost, but it may be negligible due to the speed boost obtained by other mons.

Cress/Zong/Exploud (though kinda fast now)/Porygon-2/ursaring/flareon/druddigon/reuninclus, etc. could work very well

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm wondering how trick room fares in this meta

I find it to be one of the best strategies across every single tier, ou included.
I just faced a TR team and it's ok but it's still really easily played around. I feel like you're better off using a weather instead of trick room since you can at least get 8 turns out of it instead of 5. (It's also not a good strategy in OU lol).

Anyway I think the most dangerous Pokemon right now in this tier is Sigilyph (just like in NU!).
87/73/95/118/95/112 may not look as threatening as some Pokemon at first glance, but Magic Guard + LO is insanely powerful. I'm just running a simple LO + 4 attacks set and it's beastly, so I can bluff choice, not contribute to the SR weakness of my team, and hit basically everything in the tier hard.

Another mon I think I saw briefly mentioned in this thread is Seismitoad. It's probably the best SR setter in the tier, like a supercharged version of DPP Swampert. 120/110/90/100/90/89 stats provide excellent bulk and great attack to back it up, it's immune to Water-type attacks to fuck over rain teams partially, and it gets Knock Off to annoy the hell out of opponents who think it's cool to slap 3-4 Eviolite Pokemon on a team and call it a day. Please stop using Giga Drain Volcarona tho it makes toader sad :(

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I just faced a TR team and it's ok but it's still really easily played around. I feel like you're better off using a weather instead of trick room since you can at least get 8 turns out of it instead of 5. (It's also not a good strategy in OU lol).
TR is an incredibly good strategy in ou..

Uu is really the only tier that it struggles in.

It's certainly a style that is severely misplayed, but it is probably one of the most consistent (albeit susceptible to hax) strategies, especially on the ladder.

Haxorus isn't really that good. It requires a dragon dance or two in order to do any damage and gets screwed over by scarf moxiemence who still outspeeds it after the boost. Also wil o wisp is still a possibility.

however I have a couple of new mons that have brought me some success.

mega abomasnow: simply put, this Mon is almost the perfect rain check. With good 102/115/115 bulk it can tank a hit and hit back with fantastic base 142 offenses. It can run a mixed set with ice shard and earthquake along with giga drain and a powerful blizzard, or run its traditional subseeding set thanks to MUCH better bulk.

pangoro: meet the based god of phasing. With scrappy it has an unblockable, un-bounceable phasing move with circle throw. Imo, its best set is a 232hp/20atk/252spdef investment with a careful nature. while the 232 hp EVs look odd, they do hit a nice leftovers number. I prefer adamant nature for the power boost, but careful allows for survivability. The moveset is: rest, sleep talk,bulk up, and circle throw. Rest allows pangoro to absorb status very easily as well as providing reliable recovery, sleep talk allows it to phase and boost respectively, and bulk up provides higher attack and patches up his defense stat. While hazard support Is appreciated, it is not necessary.

Ampharos-mega now has base 95/100/110/170/115/50
It can pull off parafusion then spam charge beam as set-up and use dragon pulse for an incredibly powerful stab. it essentially both walls and sweeps at the same time. just have to avoid fairy types.

Accelgor has an insane base 160 speed and a more than usable 115 special attack. with unburden red card it can usually barely take the hit switch out the threat and double its insane speed to outspeed all non boosted pokemon without fail. give it a varied special attacking move set and you have an impressive sweeper.

Cradily has some really solid defenses with 101/112/122 and with a binding band infestation becomes viable doing 1/6 of the opponents health for five turns and trapping the opponent so you can also toxic them and use recover and protect to outlast the foe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)