Metagame Tier Shift

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
passing some lava here

--

137/205/100/105/90/98

you guys probably know this buttplugger, mostly probably because of his notorious high attack stat, 205 base attack bypasses even the likes of Regigigas and Slaking. heres a couple of cool sets ive been experimenting on this beast:

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Rock Slide
- Superpower / Earthquake

This set was adopted from the infamous dual dance primal groudon in ubers. I was looking for dual dance users in TS and ofc rampardos came to my head. The concept is pretty simple, click SD vs stall and RP vs offense. Rampardos really likes quag being gone since it was a near-hard counter to this thing. The biggest problems to this set is getting the boost since its still frail for a tier like TS and pyukumuku. Rock slide is optimal imo since its nearly equal in BP to stone edge and more accurate. Superpower isnt optimal but u need it desperately for steels and for ursaring too cause rock slide doesnt kill. U can probably try something like EQ for it though. The spread is for maximum damage output and lets u still outrun base 90s (i have no idea how common they are though lol).

Rampardos @ Rockium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake

A theoretical set that lets you spank pyukumuku. +2 z edge will always kill even max defense pyuku: +2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Rampardos Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 448-528 (113.7 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Although I havent even tried it yet and I have no idea how good it is, it actually looks a lot better than the set above. While stone edge is a shaky stab and is not as strong as a LO sheer force rock slide, the z move lets you score a lot of important kos. You can afford eq on this set now since z edge kills ursaring anyway. The spread is same as above.

lmk what you guys think :D
If its a Rockium Z set run Head Smash. Ur highish HP doesnt mind recoil anyways.

I love this metagame! I've been playing with a few teams now, and I've been having particular success with this team lately:

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Sucker Punch
TS: 90/145/160/80/110/60 (RU)

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Scald
TS: 149/106/124/121/139/72 (PU)

Archeops @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
TS: 115/180/105/152/105/150 (PU)

Pangoro @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
TS: 115/144/98/89/91/78 (RU)

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Heal Bell
TS: 150/125/135/120/135/90 (PU)

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Extrasensory
- Energy Ball
TS: 80/90/85/145/125/110 (RU)

Archeops obviously has Defeatist to deal with so I don't know how long this strategy will continue, but the 180 attack and 150 speed have proved to be rather elite as a sweeper.
Z-Parting Shot and Wish help, too (Z-Parting Shot is great with Pangoro since he's slow and likely already received damage, so Archeops won't).
Golisopod's Emergency Exit doesn't always have to be so bad, either. I can use it as a switch in to take damage for an otherwise free switch to someone else if I time it right, as well as save a turn on switch out from a bad type matchup if I don't mind taking the supereffective hit (most won't kill).

After seeing the popularity and the play number of the Meta decreasing by a good margin as well as many player complaints and issues i think we should take an action or at-least have a thorough discussion about possibly the most controversial thing gracing the Tier Shift Meta-game currently and that is ...

EVIOLITE or the God Stone

Eviolite has been a controversial matter in every meta that promotes Bulk and the fact that Tier Shift provides huge boosts to PU and NU based mons, the legality and power of this item has been largely centralizing and quite an headache to deal with for most of the players.

1) Eviolite adds additional bulk on mons which can aid in furthur setup and/or stalling capabilities.

2) Stall gets a much needed edge against the meta where many super offensive threats lurk waiting to sweep.

3) If Eviolite gets banned, stall dies with it and gets steam-rolled by offense

4) Eviolite is not only limited to stall mons, some offensive mons use it as well such as Gurdurr and Fraxure to name a few.

5) Eviolite is not the main issue since the whole premise of Tier Shift promotes bulk scaling in regards to offensive stat scaling.

1) Eviolite makes things extremely bulky which in combination with the already huge stat boosts make some Pokemon ridiculously tanky and impart them impeccable stalling capabilities.

2) Stall is one the best play-styles in Tier Shift and dominates to a certain extent and Eviolite greatly boosts its capability to do so and should be banned for other play-styles to gain equal footing.

3) Eviolite gives stall a much needed but unfair edge since some cores are ridiculously tough to break through without running multiple stall-breakers.

4) Eviolite makes stall centralizing to such a degree that it's almost necessary to pack multiple stall-breakers to even the match-up and still struggle to offense due to your team catering to destroy stall.

5) Eviolite makes stall extremely centralizing to the point where we have to question when consistency becomes unhealthy and centralizing.

My Personal thoughts regarding Eviolite are that it needs a ban or nerf since it has made the tier a stall fest and generally very stally in nature along with being a major deterrent towards making this a healthy meta which is popular and user friendly to existing and newly joining players. Eviolite's 1.5x to both defenses are bullshit when already strong defensive mons get +30, +40 boosts since bulk scales higher than offense naturally. Eviolite also restricts team-building by making stall a major powerhouse and makes the meta a lot more volatile and a lot less match-up dependent.

What are your thoughts on Eviolite ? Broken, Not Broken or Suspect Worthy ? I think a suspect should be in order or at-least a rational discussion.

Last edited:
Without trying to suggest anything in particular I'd just like to point out that these days it's quite easy to put a limit on the number of Eviolites e.g. 'Eviolite > 2' in a team - the banlist supports the syntax directly.

After seeing the popularity and the play number of the Meta decreasing by a good margin as well as many player complaints and issues i think we should take an action or at-least have a thorough discussion about possibly the most controversial thing gracing the Tier Shift Meta-game currently and that is ...

EVIOLITE or the God Stone

Eviolite has been a controversial matter in every meta that promotes Bulk and the fact that Tier Shift provides huge boosts to PU and NU based mons, the legality and power of this item has been largely centralizing and quite an headache to deal with for most of the players.

1) Eviolite adds additional bulk on mons which can aid in furthur setup and/or stalling capabilities.

2) Stall gets a much needed edge against the meta where many super offensive threats lurk waiting to sweep.

3) If Eviolite gets banned, stall dies with it and gets steam-rolled by offense

4) Eviolite is not only limited to stall mons, some offensive mons use it as well such as Gurdurr and Fraxure to name a few.

5) Eviolite is not the main issue since the whole premise of Tier Shift promotes bulk scaling in regards to offensive stat scaling.

1) Eviolite makes things extremely bulky which in combination with the already huge stat boosts make some Pokemon ridiculously tanky and impart them impeccable stalling capabilities.

2) Stall is one the best play-styles in Tier Shift and dominates to a certain extent and Eviolite greatly boosts its capability to do so and should be banned for other play-styles to gain equal footing.

3) Eviolite gives stall a much needed but unfair edge since some cores are ridiculously tough to break through without running multiple stall-breakers.

4) Eviolite makes stall centralizing to such a degree that it's almost necessary to pack multiple stall-breakers to even the match-up and still struggle to offense due to your team catering to destroy stall.

5) Eviolite makes stall extremely centralizing to the point where we have to question when consistency becomes unhealthy and centralizing.

My Personal thoughts regarding Eviolite are that it needs a ban or nerf since it has made the tier a stall fest and generally very stally in nature along with being a major deterrent towards making this a healthy meta which is popular and user friendly to existing and newly joining players. Eviolite's 1.5x to both defenses are bullshit when already strong defensive mons get +30, +40 boosts since bulk scales higher than offense naturally. Eviolite also restricts team-building by making stall a major powerhouse and makes the meta a lot more volatile and a lot less match-up dependent.

What are your thoughts on Eviolite ? Broken, Not Broken or Suspect Worthy ? I think a suspect should be in order or at-least a rational discussion.
I think Eviolite is basically the key to defence. Without it, nearly HALF of the entire Pokemon in tier shift would be useless, since most of the lower tiers have weak pokemon and they rely on something to boost their Defence and Special Defence. Eviolite NEEDS to stay, without it people wouldn't really want to jump on tier shift anymore to play. Because Eviolite is one of the MOST used items in history of Pokemon Showdown! And plus, it usually isn't banned... Other people are smart and they use other strong pokemon to break walls XD

Last night, I had couple Tier Shift games which were the first ones in my life. I have enjoyed playing the meta where otherwise-would-be-subpar-'mons would turn into monsters thanks to the premise of the tier.

However, I have realized the problem that was visible to even the newest of the newest player in the tier that is possibly another universal cancer followed by Tangela:

Pyukumuku.

Because most of my OU teams are based on stall, I attempted on building stall-based teams which would obviously consist with Mega Sableye (turned out to be a shit mon in this meta but needed Magic Bounce), Miltank as pseudo-Chansey which can function as cleric, Golbat as defogger, and Unaware Quagsire as a setup check. After being obliterated by Nasty Plot Ninetales, I have decided to get Unaware user, and the first thing that came up to me was Pyukumuku.

Outsides tier shift, due to low HP stats, Pyukumuku tends to struggle functioning as an efficient wall. However, story is different in Tier Shift.
View attachment 87701
This monstrous bulk lets Pykukumku live 2 Solar Beams from base 120 SpAtk assuming non-STAB, and gives 0 fuck to most offensive 'mons. As I was using Pyukumuku, it's bulk turned out to be capable of doing stuff like this:

252+ Atk Guts Gurdurr Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 144-169 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku: 130-153 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 6.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Especially for Gurdurr, according to my short experience, it mostly gets Drain Punch and that means it can't break Pyukumuku after prior damage and after x1.5 Attack boost from Guts triggers after being poisoned. Choice wallbreakers can't break Pyukumuku without doing some prior damage, and if they just stay in for rolls of secondary effect, they just end up losing their STAB boost thanks to Soak.

I am pretty sure Pyukumuku is not the only 'mon which boasts this level of monstrosity in bulk, but the ones who are able to have similar bulk as Pyukumuku are usually reliant on its typing and Eviolite, which can be ruined by omnipresent Knock Off. But Pyukumuku is the freakin Unaware wall that has like 2 weakness, and this leaves status as the only way to actually cripple it, but because of Pyukumuku's passive nature, it is mostly accompanied by semi-stall or stall teams in which cleric most likely exists.

I thought it would be just me but Aman Indra agreed that Pyukumuku is one of the most impenetrable walls in the current metagame that is causing some sort of unhealthiness and was eager for suspect / ban. However, because I feel like I have to lurk around more in this meta, I will stop here.

While we are able to stop this Pyukumuku using Taunt or Substitute, it can still invalidate most offensive teams that do not specifically prepare to break it (in my perspective), and I believe Pyukumuku is definitely a worthwhile topic of discussion for current Tier Shift meta. Thanks for reading.
Talking about Pyukumuku, i have experimented with some sets, they're not that overpowered but good enough, so Pyukumuku shouldn't really be banned. With this experimenting, i found that Pyukumuku can have many roles! Such as getting rid of sweepers, Baton Passing, and finally STALLING.

Pyukumuku @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Innards Out / Unaware
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
Now this set is MEANT to die. I decided to do Z-Memento which is quite good for sweepers already set up, and it also restores the HP of the Pokemon that replaces Pyukumuku. So firstly it uses Reflect and Light Screen, then uses Toxic, and then after a few fun turns of annoying the opponent, Z-Memento. Sooo yeah.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psych Up
- Baton Pass
- Protect / Safeguard
- Recover
Now this set is another way of getting rid of sweepers, well, technically NOT getting rid of them, but copying them. So when the opponent is really well set up, just use Psych Up. Now this is effective since Pyukumuku is sooo tanky and with Unaware, so it can't get sweeped. When you use Psych Up, Baton Pass to another one of your teammates and KABOOM. This can go wrong if the opponent gives Pyukumuku a bad status, like Toxic or Paralysis. Although i put Safeguard as another option.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Venom Drench
- Recover
- Protect
Toxic + Venom Drench, it can CRIPPLE any pokemon slowly but efficiently. With their stats lowered, they have no other option but to switch, but when they do Pyukumuku can just use Toxic + Venom Drench all over again! This set can literally destroy whole teams. Only if they had a Toxic Clause that only allows one Pokemon to be poisoned.

Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Innards Out
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Toxic
- Counter
- Taunt
- Recover
The good old boring one, just used for dealing double damage...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back after 6 months absence. And I'm annoyed at myself for getting addicted to pokemon showdown. Again. Anyway, the last time I played this it was called extreme tier shift which was a long time ago, so I'll drop a few sets and see what people think of them.

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Arbok has a respectable stat spread of 100/135/109/105/119/120, but the big ticket item is the first two moves. Coil is great, acting as a bulk up and lock on in one move, giving gunk shot 100% accuracy. The combination of poison/ground/dark gives perfect neutral coverage, and sucker punch is handy for one last hurrah. Only real variation here is intimidate vs shed skin. I prefer intimidate because he's actually pretty bulky and can be an emergency switch in for physical fighting/ fairy/ bug moves. shed skin is equally viable though if you struggle with burns/ paralysis.

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Literally Magnezone. Stats (65/75/110/135/95/85) are close to identical except for 25 extra speed, which does make a huge difference. The only reason I use this is because fuck ferroseed he is useful at trapping many kinds of steels. Choice scarf and volt switch makes him a good lead, and base 85 speed means you can run modest and outspeed up to base 132 Spe pokemon. Timid means you can pivot out on stuff like quick feet ursaring though, so its worth considering whether you need power or speed more.

Last thing, do we have viability rankings? all good if we don't but they are really handy for people like me that have no idea what they are doing

Problem I have found with magnemite is that steels have become relatively less common than they were in higher metas, only steels really common in tier shift is ferroseed at best and since its rocking ferrothorn like stats with eviolite, it can tank HP fire in some cases and leech seed /protect stall you. Other steels from higher up like uu and out may be seen but they are a rarity abf in most cases can't be dealt by other mons with we hits or raw power

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I managed to peak at eleventh on the ladder with this team, so I feel like it might be worth sharing.

Tsar Bomba (Rampardos) (M) @ Rockium Z
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Duke of Hazards (Ferroseed) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Mercy (Togetic) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog
- Flamethrower

Offense Slayer (Pyukumuku) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Recover
- Counter

Chip the Reaper (Dusclops) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Elderberries (Haunter) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Sludge Wave

How useful is shuckle? It was already usable in ou, and now it gets improved stats.
Also, smeargle's drop to uu makes me thinks it might drop to ru, nu, or pu, with his gimmick friends ditto, shuckle, and shedinja. If so, it would have a pretty nice improvement here in tiershift.
I don't know anything about the current meta due to showdown temporarily not working for me, so forgive me if these questions sound noobish.

btw, nice team alephgalactus

Last edited:
Without trying to suggest anything in particular I'd just like to point out that these days it's quite easy to put a limit on the number of Eviolites e.g. 'Eviolite > 2' in a team - the banlist supports the syntax directly.
Honestly, even 1 or 2 eviolite users can be overwhelming. Knock off helps but even then things like Mareanie, one of the frailer eviolite users off the bat, have Celesteela tier bulk and access to abilities like regenerator even without eviolite. I'd advocate for an all or nothing approach when it comes to banning.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Raticate_XY.gif

Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Crunch
- Quick Attack/Sucker Punch

Stats: 95/121/100/90/110/137

The top percentage has arrived! This is another underrated set I really like. The gist here is simple: set up Swords Dance, and then go wild with Facade. Crunch is for Ghosts, and the last slot is priority depending on what you prefer. 95/100/110 bulk is more than enough to set up on walls, and the damage output with Facade is commendable, to say the least. The juiciest part about Raticate is it's speed tier, allowing it to outpace some notable things like Pikachu. So yeah, give Raticate a try, it's not half bad.

View attachment 88628
Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Crunch
- Quick Attack/Sucker Punch

Stats: 95/121/100/90/110/137

The top percentage has arrived! This is another underrated set I really like. The gist here is simple: set up Swords Dance, and then go wild with Facade. Crunch is for Ghosts, and the last slot is priority depending on what you prefer. 95/100/110 bulk is more than enough to set up on walls, and the damage output with Facade is commendable, to say the least. The juiciest part about Raticate is it's speed tier, allowing it to outpace some notable things like Pikachu. So yeah, give Raticate a try, it's not half bad.
What is the specific thing that sets this apart from Ursaring? Ursaring has 170 Attack, Raticate 121; 130/115/115 bulk compared to 95/100/110; Ursaring has notable coverage like Play Rough, Close Combat, etc. Raticate is cool and all, but it doesn't outspeed offensive Pokemon such as Charizard, which find their place on offensive teams. Defensive teams get shredded by Ursaring more so than Raticate, which is where it shines, and the Speed isn't necessary against those teams for obvious reasons. Yeah the Speed is cool, but it still falls short to me... Less bulky and powerful than Ursaring and with worse coverage to boot... I just don't see Raticate being very viable in the same metagame where Ursaring fulfills the same role but infinitely better.

Do you perhaps have replays or something of the sort which show how this could be viable? As it stands right now, I just don't see it being optimal. Perhaps I'm missing something incredibly obvious though, and I've yet to try out Raticate, but it seems very underwhelming.

I'm not here to claim these sets are revolutionary. To be honest they're decent at best. They are a lot of fun though, especially that eevee set, no one prepares for an eevee when teambuilding. Whimsicott is as annoying as ever, ruining setup sweepers by locking them into a setup move with priority encore. Best used against shell smash and belly drum. Prankster Memento is really the reason for using him though. This doesn't mean sacrifice him early. Whimsicott has a lot of resistances and decent bulk to take advantage of first.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Dazzling Gleam
- Memento

Eevee's stats aren't anything to write home about by tier shifts standards, sitting at an adequate 565. He doesn't really care though because after the boost and a few moves, last resort murders everything that isn't a ghost type. Quick attack is really handy because at +2 it can take about 50% off an average bulk pokemon and do a little bit more damage to pokemon that are goint to finish you off anyway. Wish does work well given how bulky you are at +2 on both defenses, and shadow ball is useful to hit ghost and steel types, but stored power really needs to be in there somewhere because it has 220 bp after extreme evoboost, and who doesnt love RAW POWER. here are some juicy calcs

+2 252 Atk Adaptability Eevee Last Resort vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regigigas: 344-406 (78 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock+2 4 SpA Eevee Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Rampardos: 336-396 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Eevee Last Resort vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Ursaring: 434-512 (108.2 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. +2 0 HP / 0- Def Eevee: 280-331 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

And thanks to the speed boost, you outspeed base 140 choice-scarfers and everything below, or base 94 speed at +2 and everything below

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Last Resort
- Quick Attack
- Wish/ Stored Power
- Shadow Ball/ Stored Power

Whiscash isn't really a good pokemon, but he's a cool pokemon, and tier shift makes him viable. I prefer leftovers because memento and his bulk usually means he can set up twice, and thats plenty of power for someone who should be cleaning if anything. The only real variation here is the choice between ice beam and stone edge (and by extension, Naive or Jolly). Ice beam is way better coverage and reliability, but stone edge has more power after dragon dance and gives you a bit more special bulk with the jolly nature.

Whiscash @ Leftovers/ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam/ Stone Edge

It's important to note that these pokemon work well together, maybe not so much on their own. And Fuck off pyukumuku

What do people think about alolan duggy on sand teams?

Dugtrio-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

I've been using this with hippo as the setter and having fun with it. It isn't as strong as other mons, but it brings a good speed tier and it's ability combines with band to make most mons feel it when he hits them. The bulk he got, because of the twin defense and hp boosts, on top of a decent typing give him a lot of things he can come in on.

I'm just wondering if I'm overlooking another month that does the job better, though.

lost heros

Meme Master
Anyone up to use Ubers in the next Tier Shift metagame?
Making Tier Shift ubers based was discussed before it was submitted this gen. Overall the consensus was that the power difference would still be too great between Uber pokemon and lower pokemon and besides what's the benefit from including ubers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)